What to do in Bozeman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

geaux_sioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

What to do in Bozeman

Post by geaux_sioux » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:00 pm

I've got a friend's bachelor party next week and we're staying just outside of Bozeman. Where are the local spots that we need to hit up for good food good drink and a good time? Thanks.

DaCats21
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: What to do in Bozeman

Post by DaCats21 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Teasers

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:52 pm

geaux_sioux wrote:I've got a friend's bachelor party next week and we're staying just outside of Bozeman. Where are the local spots that we need to hit up for good food good drink and a good time? Thanks.
Bars:
Sidewinders, R-Bar, Crystal, The Canery, The Map (Brewery), Spectators

Fun things to do:
Ski-BridgerBowl & Big Sky, both are no brainers if your gonna be in Bozeman.

Restaurants:
You can find pretty much anything you want from steak to seafood to asian.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:00 pm

Go for a soak at Chico Hot Springs, usually college girls in bikinis. Cool old bar. Great restaurant, but you'll probably only get a seat in the back bar of the restaurant side.

Crystal, Cannery have turned mostly into $hit-dives, only go there if its 12AM and you are already hammered. Specs is still a good sports bar. Bozeman Tap Room is a newer, cool bar. Map Brewing is very cool, decent food. Bridger Brewing is ok beer, but real good pizza. Outlaw and Bunkhouse Breweries are great beer. Bozone is a good old standby, but not a great place. Mountains Walking Brewery is a cool place, but hipster.

The best nice restaurants are Saffron Table, Open Range, Urban Kitchen, Blackbird Kitchen, Blacksmith Italian, Sweet Chili Asian Bistro. Ale Works is the best all-around medium-priced dinner and drinks place, beats Sidewinders. Backcountry Burger Bar has pleasantly surprised a lot of people - upscale burgers, not $$$. Dave's Sushi is good.

Go snowmobiling in West Yellowstone, fun as hell with dudes.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:09 pm

Counter Assault wrote:Go for a soak at Chico Hot Springs, usually college girls in bikinis. Cool old bar. Great restaurant, but you'll probably only get a seat in the back bar of the restaurant side.

Crystal, Cannery have turned mostly into $hit-dives, only go there if its 12AM and you are already hammered. Specs is still a good sports bar. Bozeman Tap Room is a newer, cool bar. Map Brewing is very cool, decent food. Bridger Brewing is ok beer, but real good pizza. Outlaw and Bunkhouse Breweries are great beer. Bozone is a good old standby, but not a great place. Mountains Walking Brewery is a cool place, but hipster.

The best nice restaurants are Saffron Table, Open Range, Urban Kitchen, Blackbird Kitchen, Blacksmith Italian, Sweet Chili Asian Bistro. Ale Works is the best all-around medium-priced dinner and drinks place, beats Sidewinders. Backcountry Burger Bar has pleasantly surprised a lot of people - upscale burgers, not $$$. Dave's Sushi is good.

My buddy and three of his buddies just got back from snowmobiling in West Yellowstone. They rented a guide for a day and a said it was a blast, due to the amount of snow and the fact the guide let them actually ride. Meaning they weren't on your easy sunday, stay on the snowmobile path stroll, their guide took them to the steeps and meadows so they could actually ride.

If your left, you aren’t right.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:44 pm

Counter Assault wrote:Go for a soak at Chico Hot Springs, usually college girls in bikinis. Cool old bar. Great restaurant, but you'll probably only get a seat in the back bar of the restaurant side.

Nice call on Bunkhouse Brewery. They are small but making some outstanding beer lately. Rye Stout release this Thursday and the American Pale Ale delicious.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:25 pm

geaux_sioux wrote:I've got a friend's bachelor party next week and we're staying just outside of Bozeman. Where are the local spots that we need to hit up for good food good drink and a good time? Thanks.
Eat at the Land of Magic in Logan, the Sacagawea in Three Forks, the Willow Creek Inn in Willow Creek and the Gravel Bar in Ennis. Butte is only 90 miles away and there's always something going on there that won't drain your wallet. And don't forget to do some fishing either on the Madison or Yellowstone, both only 26 miles away.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:28 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Eat at the Land of Magic in Logan, the Sacagawea in Three Forks, the Willow Creek Inn in Willow Creek and the Gravel Bar in Ennis. Butte is only 90 miles away and there's always something going on there that won't drain your wallet. And don't forget to do some fishing either on the Madison or Yellowstone, both only 26 miles away.
Almost forgot, go to Belgrade to the Madison River Brewery and have a Copper John's Ale. It's a toss up between that ale and a Cold Smoke from the Kettlehouse out of Missoula as far as the top of the line micro brewed ales from Montana.

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Is Willow Creek still open? I had heard the unfortunate news from several people that they were going to be closing down but have never actually seen anything official on that. To the topic at hand, if it is still open I definitely recommend as well.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:26 pm

Go to Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhattan and eat like a king.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 pm

kmax wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Is Willow Creek still open? I had heard the unfortunate news from several people that they were going to be closing down but have never actually seen anything official on that. To the topic at hand, if it is still open I definitely recommend as well.
Believe it's closed through January and then opens in February.

Sounds like the owner is trying to sell it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:09 pm

As far as food, if you like steak, you have three options:

1) Land of Magic in Logan
2) Oasis in Manhattan
3) Willow Creek Inn in Willow Creek, but while their steak is good, there's never any reason to not get the ribs.

Wildrye Distillery is good. MAP Brewing is good. Honestly, not much is bad, but I don't think there are a lot of "excellent" places other than the 3 mentioned before. Just depends on what you like though. Cafe Fresco is very good now that I think of it. BlackBird, Storm Castle is a must for breakfast. I'm not fond of Aleworks.

Take the drive out to Manhattan/Logan area. The food is worth it.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:10 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Go to Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhattan and eat like a king.

I'd like to complain about the watery salad, but the steaks are just too darn good for it to matter.

PHAT CAT

Post by PHAT CAT » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:27 pm

All good places. If you're over in Livingston, the best kept secrete is the Stockman bar. Friday and Saturday night the best prime rib around. Drinks are cheap too. Have fun bud. Welcome to Montana. ESG Go Cats Go!

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Stop by the MSU Bookstore and get some Bobcat gear and toss that green crap away...... :D

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:02 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Almost forgot, go to Belgrade to the Madison River Brewery and have a Copper John's Ale. It's a toss up between that ale and a Cold Smoke from the Kettlehouse out of Missoula as far as the top of the line micro brewed ales from Montana.
Uh, slow your roll their hoss! I agree those two are great but Sooooooooo many good Micros in MT - hard to call those the best. They're in my top 50 tho... :D

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:04 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Go to Sir Scott's Oasis in Manhattan and eat like a king.

I'd like to complain about the watery salad, but the steaks are just too darn good for it to matter.
I have to second Chico. The steaks are better than Oasis. I think Oasis just gets by on their reputation.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:50 pm

catatac wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Uh, slow your roll their hoss! I agree those two are great but Sooooooooo many good Micros in MT - hard to call those the best. They're in my top 50 tho... :D
Nope. Chris is going to have a few kegs from both the Madison River Brewery and the Kettlehouse sent to his Super Bowl party. None from the Flathead Lake Brewery...or any others for that matter...and those are the two best ales brewed in Montana bar none...

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:32 pm

Don't trust any one that tells you bunkhouse makes good beer. Seriously....well I'll move on.....

Ranking breweries in the area:
Level 1
MAP-awesome owners
Katabatic(in livingston)
Bridger
Bozone
Level 2
Madison river
Outlaw
Bar 3-owner is a great guy
Level 3
Neptune-super nice owner and they have decent food.
White dog
Not worth mentioning
Bunkhouse-like ever wanted to have a beer with coconut flavor and have it taste like coconut sunscreen smells.....yeah.......So you see my point then....(btw, want coconut beer, Maui brewing makes a good one)

The bzm tap room has some good stuff o tap a lot of times. Bomber is a pretty nice dude.

Best bozeman beers are Midas crush from MAP, hopezone from bozone, and Lee Metcalf from bridger.

All that said, beer drinking is subjective. Not everyone knows what good beer is and it's okay they think other beer that isn't really that great is good. Humor them, but pity them also. Some people think pbr is good......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Last edited by lutecat on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:37 am

lutecat wrote:Don't trust any one that tells you bunkhouse makes good beer. Seriously....well I'll move on.....

Ranking breweries in the area:
Level 1
MAP-awesome owners
Katabatic(in livingston)
Bridger
Bozone
Level 2
Madison river
Outlaw
Bar 3-owner is a great guy
Level 3
Neptune-super nice owner and they have decent food.
White dog
Not worth mentioning
Bunkhouse-like ever wanted to have a beer with coconut flavor and have it taste like coconut sunscreen smells.....yeah.......So you see my point then....(btw, want coconut beer, Maui brewing makes a good one)

The bzm tap room has some good stuff o tap a lot of times. Bomber is a pretty nice dude.

Best bozeman beers are Midas crush from MAP, hopezone from bozone, and Lee Metcalf from bridger.

All that said, beer drinking is subjective. Not everyone knows what good beer is and it's okay they think other beer that isn't really that great is good. Humor them, but pity them also. Some people think pbr is good......

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've always said there is no room in beer for snobs - so agree with your last statement. However, I'm guessing you have not been into the Bunkhouse Brewery in some time (no coconut beer???). Most breweries struggle for the first few months to understand their equipment and stabilize their beer. Based on your disparaging comments about Bunkhouse, I'd wager your opinion is based off of a limited tasting from some time back. As for the "Don't trust any one that tells you that bunkhouse makes good beer" comment directed at me - I'll guarantee you that I know more about and have tasted more beer than you to draw my opinions. Bunkhouse is making some outstanding product.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.