What to do in Bozeman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: What to do in Bozeman

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:13 pm

geaux_sioux wrote:So how about some Big Sky vs Bridger Bowl discussion. We're planning on hitting the slopes Friday and Saturday, at least that's the plan right now. I have skied many times in Colorado but never in Montana. What are your recommendations and what are the differences between the two? Any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Big Sky is an amazing place, and the best skiing in Montana. But a full day lift ticket is about $140. Since you're familiar with Colorado, it's kinda the Aspen of Montana.

Bridger isn't nearly as big, but it's still a very nice ski hill and costs about $60 for a full day. It's also usually pretty packed with college students, depending on the day.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:16 pm

geaux_sioux wrote:So how about some Big Sky vs Bridger Bowl discussion. We're planning on hitting the slopes Friday and Saturday, at least that's the plan right now. I have skied many times in Colorado but never in Montana. What are your recommendations and what are the differences between the two? Any input is appreciated! Thanks.
Big sky much more of a resort. Huge skiing lots of acreage, lots of out of staters. Bridger has grown a lot, but has more of a local feel. Will be more crowded than big sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Thu Feb 08, 2018 10:32 pm

I know it won't mean much to some who post here, but I skied Bridger when it only had t-bars and helped log Lone Mountain when Chet and Chrysler decided to build a ski resort on that mountain. If you like powder, there is no place like Bridger, just get there early. Big Sky has the expertise to make for a more enjoyable experience and the runs are longer. If you like to wait in line, go to Bridger though. Or...check out Red Lodge! I think Red Lodge has better views...

Edit* Don't forget you can go hot potting in Jellystone with members of the wedding party if you go to Big Sky... =D^
Last edited by Cat Grad on Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Feb 09, 2018 1:30 am

wbtfg wrote:
Big sky much more of a resort. Huge skiing lots of acreage, lots of out of staters. Bridger has grown a lot, but has more of a local feel. Will be more crowded than big sky.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That may be, but saying it's crowded to a person who's only ever been to Colorado ski resorts might scare him off.

Sioux, I've skied Bridger since I was 7 or so. I've never once waited in line more than a few minutes. And to have to wait that long is very rare.

As others have said, if you're into the ritzy resort experience (mountain village, dining and shopping) with a mountain you can get lost on, Big Sky is your place. The highway there has been improved, but can still be a gnarly, slick white-knuckler for folks not used to that type of winter driving, and it's an hour plus drive from Bozeman in perfect conditions. Best check the MDT road report map and plan accordingly. May take you upwards of 2 hours to get there and the same coming back.

On the other hand, if you're looking for a mountain with more of a hometown feel, that won't cost you and your wife half a months mortgage for 2 days of skiing, Bridger might be the better choice. It's 30 minutes from Bozeman and an easier drive.

The quality of snow on both mountains is usually very similar and there's more than enough varied terrain at Bridger to hold your interest for 2 days. Both have plenty of vertical if you're experienced skiers. Either way, you won't be bored.

Enjoy your time on the slopes!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:37 am

There's a saying....Noone cares you ski bridger. Well it's a bumper sticker I saw once. And "never bridger, always big sky" lol.

Bridger has short runs, the only place in mt I ever see crowds. I've skied blackomb on presidents day weekend. Are they crowds like that? No. Those are 30 minutes to get on the lift. Have I had to wait 5 minutes to get on a chair? Yes. Once in a while 10. That is a big mt crowd. Big sky, if it's a minute onto the chair you waited a while. More terrain. Longer runs. The view from the tram on a clear day. And you don't have to ski down from the top of the tram. Leave your skis at the bottom of the lift and go up and look around. Then ride it back down. Lots do. If you can ski a black, liberty bowl is a looooonnnnggg leg burning black. Hop over to the backside and ski Moonlight basin. The nachos in the moonlight lodge are the best I've ever had. In fact I would drive into moonlight and start there. You park right there at the madison lodge and you hardly have to carry your skis far. At big sky there is a shuttle from the parking lot. Bridger at the end of the day you probably have to walk 3/4 mile to your car in the lowest lot. Unless you got there early. Like at least an hour early. It's nuts. Don't get me wrong, people love bridger for a reason. I've just never liked the lack of length to runs. And when You have to wait in line at all in mt you notice it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

geaux_sioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by geaux_sioux » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:19 am

Tons of great feedback again. Much appreciated as always! If you see a flat lander yard sale while wearing Zoobaz that’s probably me.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:50 am

geaux_sioux wrote:Tons of great feedback again. Much appreciated as always! If you see a flat lander yard sale while wearing Zoobaz that’s probably me.
You should have mentioned the Zoobaz earlier. They'll pull your pass for that crap in Big Sky. My buddy still skis Bridger in Carhartts-so you'll be way safer there! :lol:

geaux_sioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by geaux_sioux » Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:33 pm

onceacat wrote:
geaux_sioux wrote:Tons of great feedback again. Much appreciated as always! If you see a flat lander yard sale while wearing Zoobaz that’s probably me.
You should have mentioned the Zoobaz earlier. They'll pull your pass for that crap in Big Sky. My buddy still skis Bridger in Carhartts-so you'll be way safer there! :lol:
You serious? If so, challenge accepted.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:24 pm

geaux_sioux wrote:
onceacat wrote:
They will not pull your pass at big sky or anywhere for that matter if you wear Zoombaz. Obviously he doesn’t ski or hasn’t skied in the last 30 years. Big Sky is great and so is Bridger, Big Sky is a bit pricey, but they also have 36 lifts! Skiing in MT this year is top notch and you guys won’t have a bad time anywhere. Red Lodge, showdown, Bridger, big sky, lost trail, whitefish, maverick mountain, discovery, and the back county of MT are all great right now. Pick any of them and you will have a blast, plus the beers are always cold.

If your left, you aren’t right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
geaux_sioux wrote:
onceacat wrote:
They will not pull your pass at big sky or anywhere for that matter if you wear Zoombaz. Obviously he doesn’t ski or hasn’t skied in the last 30 years. Big Sky is great and so is Bridger, Big Sky is a bit pricey, but they also have 36 lifts! Skiing in MT this year is top notch and you guys won’t have a bad time anywhere. Red Lodge, showdown, Bridger, big sky, lost trail, whitefish, maverick mountain, discovery, and the back county of MT are all great right now. Pick any of them and you will have a blast, plus the beers are always cold.
It was a joke...

Come on man.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:59 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
geaux_sioux wrote:
onceacat wrote:
It was a joke...

Come on man.
Of course I was kidding. Big Sky is probably one of the 10 best mountains to ski in the entire world. Maybe top 5. There are a bunch of high speed quads, which means you can easily knock off 25 long runs in a day. It also shares a summit & a long border with the Yellowstone Club, where the richest people in the world ski. Hence the comment about Zoobaz.

I've had a pass at Bridger 20 or so times in the last 30 years (including this year). You wont find lift lines there either, and the atmosphere is a little more down to earth.

Its been a great season at both hills so far. Bozeman has set a record for snowfall, and both mountains look like it.

Hope you have a great time out there-Zoobaz and all!

geaux_sioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by geaux_sioux » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:40 pm

Thanks again for all the great advice. We hit up Dave's Sushi, Cateye Cafe and Ale Works, all were really solid. We went to Big Sky on Friday, got there nice and early, the lines were short and the snow was pretty decent. White Magic was our favorite by far. Went to Bridger the next day and there was great powder everywhere. I preferred the vibe of Bridger as I expected I would. If anyone saw a group of morons flying around the slopes in matching hockey jerseys that was us. We rented a big house with phenomenal views a little out of town and ended up having to pull out the plow truck which got stuck in the steep driveway on Sunday night. He said he was glad we weren't from Califonia. Overall, it was a great time and we can't wait to come back!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:15 pm

geaux_sioux wrote:Thanks again for all the great advice. We hit up Dave's Sushi, Cateye Cafe and Ale Works, all were really solid. We went to Big Sky on Friday, got there nice and early, the lines were short and the snow was pretty decent. White Magic was our favorite by far. Went to Bridger the next day and there was great powder everywhere. I preferred the vibe of Bridger as I expected I would. If anyone saw a group of morons flying around the slopes in matching hockey jerseys that was us. We rented a big house with phenomenal views a little out of town and ended up having to pull out the plow truck which got stuck in the steep driveway on Sunday night. He said he was glad we weren't from California. Overall, it was a great time and we can't wait to come back!
:lol:

Glad you guys had fun; you sound like my kind of people!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:59 pm

Man I miss the Cateye Cafe. Good meatloaf and eggs breakfast!

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast