What to do in Bozeman

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Re: What to do in Bozeman

Post by grizzh8r » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:11 am

No gastronomic adventure in Bozeman would be complete without experiencing a half or whole cheesesteak from The Pickle Barrel. It's located just north of the MSU campus on College street, in between 8th and 9th ave. It's an unassuming cinder block hole in the wall with no seating in the winter (takeout only), but it's absolutely a can't miss bite. Free whole dill pickle with each half sandwich! Also, Cafe Zydeco near the end of College (in a red barn style building just past the Bozeman Daily Chronicle) also makes great po' boy sandwiches, most with a Cajun flair. Also you can get traditional Creole fare like seafood or sausage jambalaya, shrimp or crawfish etouffee, gumbo, and beignets. My favorite sandwich is the All That Jazz po' boy. So good.

Both places are reasonable and you won't leave hungry.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:02 am

MSU Toddler wrote:
I've always said there is no room in beer for snobs - so agree with your last statement. However, I'm guessing you have not been into the Bunkhouse Brewery in some time (no coconut beer???). Most breweries struggle for the first few months to understand their equipment and stabilize their beer. Based on your disparaging comments about Bunkhouse, I'd wager your opinion is based off of a limited tasting from some time back. As for the "Don't trust any one that tells you that bunkhouse makes good beer" comment directed at me - I'll guarantee you that I know more about and have tasted more beer than you to draw my opinions. Bunkhouse is making some outstanding product.
I've tried individual beers that I thought were terrible even at the breweries I love the most overall, but those are probably beers that people with different tastes may have really liked. In my opinion, Bunkhouse makes some really good stuff and has improved a lot since they first opened. I wonder if their location being so close to the much larger Bridger Brewing hurts them a little since that is such a popular place.

I do agree with lutecat about the Midas Crush from MAP and Lee Metcalf from Bridger, which are probably my two favorite regularly available Bozeman beers.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:27 am

As for snowmobiling, don't go to West. Go to Big Sky and to a place like Canyon Adventures, hire a guide, you'll actually get to climb hills, go through trees, play in fun, ungrooomed areas. They do have groomed trails going to places, but that would be a lot better than going to West. It's a blast, recommend doing it. And then finding hot tubs and Natty Light.

MSU Toddler
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSU Toddler » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:29 am

MSU01 wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:
I've always said there is no room in beer for snobs - so agree with your last statement. However, I'm guessing you have not been into the Bunkhouse Brewery in some time (no coconut beer???). Most breweries struggle for the first few months to understand their equipment and stabilize their beer. Based on your disparaging comments about Bunkhouse, I'd wager your opinion is based off of a limited tasting from some time back. As for the "Don't trust any one that tells you that bunkhouse makes good beer" comment directed at me - I'll guarantee you that I know more about and have tasted more beer than you to draw my opinions. Bunkhouse is making some outstanding product.
I've tried individual beers that I thought were terrible even at the breweries I love the most overall, but those are probably beers that people with different tastes may have really liked. In my opinion, Bunkhouse makes some really good stuff and has improved a lot since they first opened. I wonder if their location being so close to the much larger Bridger Brewing hurts them a little since that is such a popular place.

I do agree with lutecat about the Midas Crush from MAP and Lee Metcalf from Bridger, which are probably my two favorite regularly available Bozeman beers.
Bunkhouse location is horrible, hidden, and the atmosphere could use some work. That being said, the new brewer is creating some great product lately. I love the creativity, quality, and variety of product being made by Montana breweries. There are definitely some outstanding products out there regardless of palette (i.e., Midas Crush, Lee Metcalf). My thoughts are:

1. No room for snobs in beer. You drink what you like (even if it is PBR - sorry, threw up a little in my mouth there) and that's why there are so many flavors of beer being produced. Leave the snobbery for wine.
2. These Montana breweries are small business owners and we ought to give them the respect they deserve vs. publicly running them down because a type or style of beer didn't appeal to you individually.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:35 am

bobcat99 wrote:As for snowmobiling, don't go to West. Go to Big Sky and to a place like Canyon Adventures, hire a guide, you'll actually get to climb hills, go through trees, play in fun, ungrooomed areas. They do have groomed trails going to places, but that would be a lot better than going to West. It's a blast, recommend doing it. And then finding hot tubs and Natty Light.
That’s funny you say that, my buddies, like posted earlier just came back from west and all they did was climb hills and play in the steeps. They also hired a guide who specifically took them off trail and the guide was from west, don’t know the company though. One of the guys on a trip sunk the whole snowmobile in a tree well, he is lucky he didn’t get hurt.

If your left, you aren’t right.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:38 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:As for snowmobiling, don't go to West. Go to Big Sky and to a place like Canyon Adventures, hire a guide, you'll actually get to climb hills, go through trees, play in fun, ungrooomed areas. They do have groomed trails going to places, but that would be a lot better than going to West. It's a blast, recommend doing it. And then finding hot tubs and Natty Light.
That’s funny you say that, my buddies, like posted earlier just came back from west and all they did was climb hills and play in the steeps. They also hired a guide who specifically took them off trail and the guide was from west, don’t know the company though. One of the guys on a trip sunk the whole snowmobile in a tree well, he is lucky he didn’t get hurt.
I mean, you can do it in West, but typically they keep you on trail. I'd rather go in Big Sky, plus it's closer to Bozeman.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:41 am

bobcat99 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I mean, you can do it in West, but typically they keep you on trail. I'd rather go in Big Sky, plus it's closer to Bozeman.
True.

If your left, you aren’t right.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:51 am

Cat Grad wrote:
catatac wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
geaux_sioux wrote:I've got a friend's bachelor party next week and we're staying just outside of Bozeman. Where are the local spots that we need to hit up for good food good drink and a good time? Thanks.
Eat at the Land of Magic in Logan, the Sacagawea in Three Forks, the Willow Creek Inn in Willow Creek and the Gravel Bar in Ennis. Butte is only 90 miles away and there's always something going on there that won't drain your wallet. And don't forget to do some fishing either on the Madison or Yellowstone, both only 26 miles away.
Almost forgot, go to Belgrade to the Madison River Brewery and have a Copper John's Ale. It's a toss up between that ale and a Cold Smoke from the Kettlehouse out of Missoula as far as the top of the line micro brewed ales from Montana.
Uh, slow your roll their hoss! I agree those two are great but Sooooooooo many good Micros in MT - hard to call those the best. They're in my top 50 tho... :D
Nope. Chris is going to have a few kegs from both the Madison River Brewery and the Kettlehouse sent to his Super Bowl party. None from the Flathead Lake Brewery...or any others for that matter...and those are the two best ales brewed in Montana bar none...
Subjective! Agree to disagree. I like the Copper John, not a huge fan of Cold Smoke. Lastly, who is Chris?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

ilovethecats
Golden Bobcat

Post by ilovethecats » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:08 pm

catatac wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
catatac wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
geaux_sioux wrote:I've got a friend's bachelor party next week and we're staying just outside of Bozeman. Where are the local spots that we need to hit up for good food good drink and a good time? Thanks.
Eat at the Land of Magic in Logan, the Sacagawea in Three Forks, the Willow Creek Inn in Willow Creek and the Gravel Bar in Ennis. Butte is only 90 miles away and there's always something going on there that won't drain your wallet. And don't forget to do some fishing either on the Madison or Yellowstone, both only 26 miles away.
Almost forgot, go to Belgrade to the Madison River Brewery and have a Copper John's Ale. It's a toss up between that ale and a Cold Smoke from the Kettlehouse out of Missoula as far as the top of the line micro brewed ales from Montana.
Uh, slow your roll their hoss! I agree those two are great but Sooooooooo many good Micros in MT - hard to call those the best. They're in my top 50 tho... :D
Nope. Chris is going to have a few kegs from both the Madison River Brewery and the Kettlehouse sent to his Super Bowl party. None from the Flathead Lake Brewery...or any others for that matter...and those are the two best ales brewed in Montana bar none...
Subjective! Agree to disagree. I like the Copper John, not a huge fan of Cold Smoke. Lastly, who is Chris?
exactly. I love when people tell me what kind of beer I have to like best.... #-o

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 pm

FYI the #1 selling Montana crafted Micro brew is Cold Smoke, by a large margin. Over 13,000 barrels are consumed annually in the State of Montana, that is the equivalent of 26,000 15.5 gallon kegs. KettleHouse brewing company produced just over 20,000 Barrels of beer total last year, of which 98% were consumed in Montana. The other 2 % is the best estimate of bootlegged beer outside the state. :suds:

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:16 pm

Bobcatsinmso wrote:FYI the #1 selling Montana crafted Micro brew is Cold Smoke, by a large margin. Over 13,000 barrels are consumed annually in the State of Montana, that is the equivalent of 26,000 15.5 gallon kegs. KettleHouse brewing company produced just over 20,000 Barrels of beer total last year, of which 98% were consumed in Montana. The other 2 % is the best estimate of bootlegged beer outside the state. :suds:
O'Leary does a great job with his ale; didn't realize Cold Smoke was such a dominant part of his company but then again I notice more women drinking ales everywhere instead of IPAs. Maybe the chick brews are losing their appeal? I suppose I'll have to research this in a couple of hours...

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:43 am

MSU Toddler wrote:
MSU01 wrote:
MSU Toddler wrote:

Bunkhouse location is horrible, hidden, and the atmosphere could use some work. That being said, the new brewer is creating some great product lately. I love the creativity, quality, and variety of product being made by Montana breweries. There are definitely some outstanding products out there regardless of palette (i.e., Midas Crush, Lee Metcalf). My thoughts are:

1. No room for snobs in beer. You drink what you like (even if it is PBR - sorry, threw up a little in my mouth there) and that's why there are so many flavors of beer being produced. Leave the snobbery for wine.
2. These Montana breweries are small business owners and we ought to give them the respect they deserve vs. publicly running them down because a type or style of beer didn't appeal to you individually.
Pm'd you so we don't muddy up this thread anymore. Part of my issue with them goes to atmosphere( which you brought up) and customer service.

The the OP, we also have lots of distilleries around here. A person could make a pretty good night going to 7 sushi and asking for a table. If there is a wait, go to get some beer at 406, hard alcohol at wildrye, or some kombucha at dean's zesty booch. They are all in the same building.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

geaux_sioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by geaux_sioux » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! Greatly appreciated.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:12 pm

geaux_sioux wrote:Thanks for all the suggestions! Greatly appreciated.
Ya, look what you started. Thanks a lot.

:lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:30 pm

After drinking all that beer and eating all that food, sleep it off and in the morning head to Main Street Overeasy. My favorite breakfast place in the world!

PHAT CAT
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by PHAT CAT » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:35 am

utucats wrote:After drinking all that beer and eating all that food, sleep it off and in the morning head to Main Street Overeasy. My favorite breakfast place in the world!
Yep. Main Street and the Western are the best in town. Erik will sometimes come toss ya free stuff if you're at the counter at Main street. Love that dude. The two best Hands down.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:39 pm

Drink Heavily!!! And go cow tipping at any of the local bars.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:34 pm

Go Scats Go wrote: And go cow tipping at any of the local bars.
I didn't know your wife was gonna be in town.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:57 pm

bobcat99 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote: And go cow tipping at any of the local bars.
I didn't know your wife was gonna be in town.
No I was talking about you.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

geaux_sioux
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by geaux_sioux » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:51 pm

So how about some Big Sky vs Bridger Bowl discussion. We're planning on hitting the slopes Friday and Saturday, at least that's the plan right now. I have skied many times in Colorado but never in Montana. What are your recommendations and what are the differences between the two? Any input is appreciated! Thanks.