A few more roster departures

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

A few more roster departures

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:04 pm

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/956360439834669056 https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/956361665519403008

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: A few more roster departures

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:15 pm

Dang, so much for a kicking competition. That just leaves Padmos and Bailey as having experience kicking. I wonder if they will end up bringing someone else in for insurance.

Sorry to read about Hunter as well. I remember watching his Dad play.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:34 pm

AFCAT wrote:Dang, so much for a kicking competition. That just leaves Padmos and Bailey as having experience kicking. I wonder if they will end up bringing someone else in for insurance.

How many kickers do you need? I think it's a bit like QBs. If you have 3 kickers, you don't really have a kicker. Kind of like the QB position heading into spring ball in terms of what Choate expects from his starting QB. Hopefully one of the three clearly is the leader for the job heading into fall camp. Fall camp reps are sparse and having a QB competition with a new offense in the passing game isn't ideal, since the new plays all about reps for your starter and the receivers to get their timing down.

Best of luck to Peppenger and I hope he gets his degree elsewhere. Or, is he staying at MSU but just not playing football? The news about Mulhum, following the Hashley news, really stinks. Two NW Montana players who can't play anymore due to injuries.
Last edited by PapaG on Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:39 pm

PapaG wrote:
AFCAT wrote:Dang, so much for a kicking competition. That just leaves Padmos and Bailey as having experience kicking. I wonder if they will end up bringing someone else in for insurance.

How many kickers do you need? I think it's a bit like QBs. If you have 3 kickers, you don't really have a kicker. Kind of like the QB position heading into spring ball.

Well, the Cats had three, including the punter Padmos, up until today. I just think back a couple of years ago when Daly went down with an injury and legal issues and the Cats ended up scrambling for a kicker. A freshman kicker would be nice to possibly red-shirt and develop for when Bailey graduates in a couple of years. I haven't seen Padmos do anything other than punt, so I don't know how good he is.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:45 pm

The departure by Gabe is surprising and interesting. It would have been really nice to be able to redshirt him if Bailey? Looked like he could be the starter and have some insurance in the kicking game again.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:07 pm

AFCAT wrote:
PapaG wrote:

How many kickers do you need? I think it's a bit like QBs. If you have 3 kickers, you don't really have a kicker. Kind of like the QB position heading into spring ball.

Well, the Cats had three, including the punter Padmos, up until today. I just think back a couple of years ago when Daly went down with an injury and legal issues and the Cats ended up scrambling for a kicker. A freshman kicker would be nice to possibly red-shirt and develop for when Bailey graduates in a couple of years. I haven't seen Padmos do anything other than punt, so I don't know how good he is.
Jered was also an excellent kicker in high school guys. Not all is lost.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:56 pm

Anyone know why Gabe left? He was certainly clutch this season, I kinda wondered why we were recruiting a veteran kicker, I guess this makes it clearer.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:26 am

A thing to think about is many programs, even FBS, give no financial support to kickers/punters. So money, or lack thereof, can end a career. Not saying that is a problem for Peppenger.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:31 am

Sorry to see both of them go. Hopefully they both stay in school.

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:31 am

I'm really surprised about Peppenger's departure, just like any position, they get better from year to year. Thanks for being a Bobcat.

In Mahlum's case, can't blame him, no reason to keep beating up your body. Good Luck.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:41 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Anyone know why Gabe left? He was certainly clutch this season, I kinda wondered why we were recruiting a veteran kicker, I guess this makes it clearer.
I'm not sure I'd go that far We were second to last in the conference in field goal percentage only making 5/11

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:57 am

wbtfg wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:Anyone know why Gabe left? He was certainly clutch this season, I kinda wondered why we were recruiting a veteran kicker, I guess this makes it clearer.
I'm not sure I'd go that far We were second to last in the conference in field goal percentage only making 5/11
We were second to last but that wasn't all on Gabe.

FIELD GOALS FGM-FGA Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Lg Blk
-----------------------------------------------------------------
DALY, Luke 0-3 0.0 0-0 0-0 0-1 0-2 0-0 0 0
PEPPENGER,Gabe 5-8 62.5 0-0 4-4 1-3 0-1 0-0 34 0

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:08 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
wbtfg wrote:
We were second to last but that wasn't all on Gabe.

FIELD GOALS FGM-FGA Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Lg Blk
-----------------------------------------------------------------
DALY, Luke 0-3 0.0 0-0 0-0 0-1 0-2 0-0 0 0
PEPPENGER,Gabe 5-8 62.5 0-0 4-4 1-3 0-1 0-0 34 0
True.....5-8 total. 1-4 on field goal attempts over 30 yards, long of 34.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:12 pm

It doesn’t make sense that Peppenger was scared off. Bailey’s record coming in isn’t exactly sterling. Could be something completely unrelated to football, or maybe he just doesn’t have that spark and desire he used to.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:39 pm

I certainly can't guarantee the validity of this as it came from the father of a former teammate of Gabe's. But he mentioned after the season that Gabe still wasn't on scholarship and said he better see some money soon. Who knows though.....

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:14 am

Not saying good kickers are a dime a dozen, because they're not. But it's become somewhat typical to find a fine kicker as a freshman and have him for four years. Not the situation with most other positions who "come of age" a little later. This translates to a lot of fine high school kickers with no place to go.
A few years back Texas A&M was, for whatever reason, without a kicker. The head coach reasoned there must be talent embedded in the student body, so he held open tryouts and found several great candidates and was back in business. Pretty sure we the Cats will be okay.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:24 am

Sort of had to wonder when they bring in Tristan Bailey (Wyoming/Coffeyville CC) and the kicking coach departs.
May have been known that he was leaving, just wasn't published until now.
We may never know the reasons, but it happens all the time. I don't think his leg was trusted past 35 yards and that may not have helped.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:32 am

Montanabob wrote:Sort of had to wonder when they bring in Tristan Bailey (Wyoming/Coffeyville CC) and the kicking coach departs.
May have been known that he was leaving, just wasn't published until now.
We may never know the reasons, but it happens all the time. I don't think his leg was trusted past 35 yards and that may not have helped.
8 total field goal attempts seems pretty low, not trusting the kicker would contribute to that. It would take a real stat bulldog to come up with some sort of "field goals NOT attempted" stat, which would be those situations where a solid FCS kicker would be called upon but was not. Situations say 4th down at the 30 yard line and not attempting a field goal without a significant difference in score.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Joe Bobcat
Member # Retired

Post by Joe Bobcat » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:58 pm

Out of curiosity I took a look at our FG kicking for 2016 so here it is.

FIELD GOALS Made-Att Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Long Blkd
Devon Tandberg 2-3 66.7 0-0 0-0 2-2 0-10-0 37 0
Gabe Peppenger 9-13 69.2 0-0 4-4 3-4 2-5 0-0 44 1

Then I got to wondering what things were like in 2015.

FIELD GOALS Made-Att Pct 01-19 20-29 30-39 40-49 50-99 Long Blkd
Luke Daly 8-9 88.9 0-0 3-3 2-3 1-1 2-2 57 0

It’s a shame that DL had his legal problems and then his attitude problems too.

I have no idea why anyone has left the team but about all that can be said is next man up.

Apologies for the fact that the info doesn't' line up which makes it very hard to read. it was lined up when I pasted it but all changed when it gets posted.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Goldbutte
New Recruit

Post by Goldbutte » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:37 pm

This was posted in a previous thread, but this topic is a little more applicable given the recent departure of Gabe.
Catzfan wrote:Just curious if anyone else thinks that this may be a recruit that we are possibly sleeping on? Looks like a solid instate kid that we can bring in and develop for awhile under the current upper-class kicking group to possibly become a star some day...?