Costello interview

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Re: Costello interview

Post by bobcatbob » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:54 am

With all the people in this area that have a lot of money, why is it we have such a hard time finding a lead donor.
There must be somebody out there that would like there name on a building.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:09 am

At the first three games there has been a stadium announcement to pay attention to the video board for a major announcement. What then plays on the video board is a great video of Sonny Holland chatting about his relationship with Montana State University, MSU Football, and the personal relationships he has been a part of over the years. Very cool videos but there has not really been a big "announcement".

I think that changes this Saturday. I think that Sonny Holland's next video will be the announcement, and the homecoming football game will be the perfect venue for that announcement. Sonny's the right guy, Bobcat Stadium is the right place, and Homecoming is the right time.

Be standing by your seats when the announcement is made.

That's what I think. I have no information other than a gut feeling. I hope I'm right.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

kennethnoisewater
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am

I know we've joked about the "quiet phase" for years, but I do think that's where we're at with this. I know it's been announced, but it's a little amateur-ish to put a big red thermometer on the wall and color it in as you get up there. Don't get me wrong, legitimate organizations use that too, but it's generally for an easily-attainable amount where they're asking people to make $10 pledges here and there.

It is a little frustrating that nobody appears to be making the big seven (or eight-) figure donations to the football program. I personally think it's just a subconscious waiting game to see if the Bobcats are ever going to get over the hump into real national prominence, which hasn't happened for a long time. Sure, there were some teams that were among the best in the country under Ash, but those obviously didn't finish very well. I think it would be fun to be the guy (assuming I had a ton of money) to say my donation got the Cats over the hump, but I think some of the big hitters are waiting on that breakthrough. I'm hoping they have somebody and they're waiting (until Homecoming?) to announce it.

IMO the best thing that has happened to MSU in a long time is the Jake Jabs donation, because it is supporting the kinds of programs that will lead to huge donations way down the road. The problem is, it's a slow burn. We like to make fun of UM for being the school of dance and art and all of that, but for all the relatively worthless majors that it offers, there are a few there (particularly business and law) that lead to the really big bucks, and you only need a couple of those to hit it big to see big dividends as a university. MSU offers majors that will more and produce better jobs, but not all that many architects and engineers are going to get to the point where they have $10,000,000 to give away. And if they do, like the late Klein Gilhousen, they seem to be more interested in giving to other causes, which is great too. Incidentally, UM announced their $400M campaign on Friday. I thought it was too ambitious, but they already had $325M of it raised when they made the announcement. Of course that's pledges and cash, but there's definitely some really big leadership in there and we're going to see who that is soon.

With the emphasis on entrepreneurship, I think MSU will begin to produce some big time wealth, like a Dennis Washington type. Once one of those hits and donates to athletics, I think more will follow. Great philanthropy needs leaders. Not many people want to feel like they're the only one doing anything, like in a group project at school. But when you get one, you usually get more. With MSU's growth and Bozeman's growth, it stands to reason that the money will come, but without somebody stepping up and taking this thing on, it might be a while.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am

I heard they have $6 million committed and are finalizing an $8 million commitment from a large corporate sponsor. That’s why they’re able to go out getting agreements (MSU term) now with smaller donors.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 am

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:32 am
I heard they have $6 million committed and are finalizing an $8 million commitment from a large corporate sponsor. That’s why they’re able to go out getting agreements (MSU term) now with smaller donors.
Hopefully we don't end up with an "Investco at Mile High" situation. lol.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 am

DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 am
iaafan wrote:
That would only be bad if we had a stadium with a well-known name like Mile High. For instance, Brick Breeden would be awkward if we had to start calling it the Town Pump Brick Breeden Fieldhouse or something. I wouldn't care if Bobcat Stadium started being called [company name] Stadium, because we don't really refer to it as anything now anyway. That's the way most stadiums are these days in professional sports, and an increasing number in college. If somebody spends enough to get naming rights ($8M should do it), I'm pretty happy to call it just about anything they want it to be called. Unless UM used a chunk of its new money and wanted it called "Grizzly Stadium". :lol:

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:25 am
DriscollCat wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:08 am
iaafan wrote:
That would only be bad if we had a stadium with a well-known name like Mile High. For instance, Brick Breeden would be awkward if we had to start calling it the Town Pump Brick Breeden Fieldhouse or something. I wouldn't care if Bobcat Stadium started being called [company name] Stadium, because we don't really refer to it as anything now anyway. That's the way most stadiums are these days in professional sports, and an increasing number in college. If somebody spends enough to get naming rights ($8M should do it), I'm pretty happy to call it just about anything they want it to be called. Unless UM used a chunk of its new money and wanted it called "Grizzly Stadium". :lol:
Haha. TBH, I was mainly joking but would be kinda bummed to call it Northwest Energy Stadium, instead of Bobcat Stadium.

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:36 am

kennethnoisewater wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:23 am

I think some of the big hitters are waiting on that breakthrough. I'm hoping they have somebody and they're waiting (until Homecoming?) to announce it.
I have no inside info, but this is basically some of the rumblings I’ve heard as well. There’s one or more big donaters kind of in the wait and see phase to see if this team will turn the corner and if they do and the guys with the money like what they see, they’ll put some money down on it.
Another reason why this season is a big one, if they can get those wins to start to pile up, the momentum for the whole program would be going in the right direction. More wins equals more donations which equals better stadium.
Last edited by Catsrgrood on Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:51 pm

I think it would be a great idea for MSU to send out a little flyer to every alum like they did for the SEZ. If I recall for that project it laid it out and listed different donation levels and guaranteed recognition for said donation. I sent them $100 the next day. Remember how quickly the money poured in to reach the goal - 4 or 6 million or whatever it was? If they did something like that for the new proposed project they would be more apt to get the smaller donations coming in and I'd bet they would come in at a rapid rate. For now all I seem to see is some information about it on the Bobcat website and that they are fundraising. In addition an occasional blog on Bobcat Nation discusses it.

kennethnoisewater

Post by kennethnoisewater » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:58 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:51 pm
I think it would be a great idea for MSU to send out a little flyer to every alum like they did for the SEZ. If I recall for that project it laid it out and listed different donation levels and guaranteed recognition for said donation. I sent them $100 the next day. Remember how quickly the money poured in to reach the goal - 4 or 6 million or whatever it was? If they did something like that for the new proposed project they would be more apt to get the smaller donations coming in and I'd bet they would come in at a rapid rate. For now all I seem to see is some information about it on the Bobcat website and that they are fundraising. In addition an occasional blog on Bobcat Nation discusses it.
Generally in fundraising, you collect your leadership gifts first and get like 70% or more committed before you start really soliciting the public. The idea is to make it the worst kept secret in town, then you announce that you're just trying to raise a very attainable amount. That way, people like you and me feel like we can really make a big difference with our $100 donation when we hear that we only need to raise another million bucks total or something.

Mtcatfan
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks Kenneth - that makes sense.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm

I think they’re currently contacting people who’ve donated $500 to $10000 to athletics in the past. Probably open up to the under$500 crowd soon.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:30 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm
I think they’re currently contacting people who’ve donated $500 to $10000 to athletics in the past. Probably open up to the under$500 crowd soon.
I'm in that pool. I got a fundraising call from MSU about two weeks ago, but the young gal making the call didn't say anything about a specific project they were raising money for, just asked if I'd like to donate to MSU. I guess there are several fundraising campaigns going on right now, I hope those doing the calling/mailing are detailed on what they're begging money for.

I'm now sending tuition money to MSU, on top of booster money and ticket money. I'll probably give to certain causes still, but would like to be able to make those decisions.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:08 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:51 pm
That's a good idea! I'd much rather have a chance to respond to a flyer with different options, at my leisure, than a surprise phone call.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:25 pm

iaafan wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:51 pm
I've not heard from them yet... 8) , and alas, I wait to give! :D

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 pm

If anyone wants to donate or pledge, just contact Stacy Radke at the address or phone number in my signature block. They are taking any and all donations or pledges now.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:30 pm
If anyone wants to donate or pledge, just contact Stacy Radke at the address or phone number in my signature block. They are taking any and all donations or pledges now.
Crazy thing about these newfangled tellyphones. You can both call and take calls on them!

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm
AFCAT wrote:
Crazy thing about these newfangled tellyphones. You can both call and take calls on them!
What??? YOU don't have to climb up the telephone pole?

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:31 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 am
TomCat88 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I’m sure some MSU staffers are wondering about that. People are actually complaining about how a fundraising drive that they want to donate to is being conducted. I’m not sure what more you need to know. Am I missing something?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:40 am

TomCat88 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:31 am
catsrback76 wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:27 am
TomCat88 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
I’m sure some MSU staffers are wondering about that. People are actually complaining about how a fundraising drive that they want to donate to is being conducted. I’m not sure what more you need to know. Am I missing something?
Actually quite a bit. With fundraising as has been previously mentioned, donations can often be tailored toward certain projects and or special purchases. IF there is a campaign underway, or about to be released, donors will indeed wait for more information. With those of us who live off the beaten path, it is really only through the internet/email where the details can be read, considered, and donated to if decided upon. So, IF there is something brewing, I would have zero information on it, other than, hey' call them up. Hmmm, :-k hadn't thought of that in light of the fact that I haven't heard anything "official" yet.

I can make a phone call from 10 hours ahead to get details ( not often as simple as it sounds ), or I can wait patiently until they send out news and details. That is where I'm at.