MSU and the changing landscape

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

MSU and the changing landscape

Post by aucat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:24 pm

As I watch NDSU romping to yet another victory, I am reminded of a myth that the "state university" always has a huge
advantage in athletics. The evidence does not support this myth.

So who dominates in North Dakota, the university of ND or NDSU? Or what about the state
of South Carolina? Is the state university dominating Clemson? Didn't Auburn whip the state university of Alabama
this year? Hasn't Florida State held the upper hand of the state university of Florida? Look at the success Michigan State
has had over the U of Michigan. Perhaps the best example is the University of Texas, which should have a great advantage in the state. Yet look at the success TCU has had. A&M has also been better than UT. The list goes on. Sure, there are some examples out there. I have always felt that
WSU was at a HUGE disadvantage to the U. of Washington, but even WSU had a good year this year, though they lost to UW.

MSU, in my opinion, in now THE University of the state of Montana. From just about every angle, academically and now
we are finally coming on in athletics. We need to upgrade our facilities further.

But don't anyone tell me that the "state university" has some kind of a built in advantage. I'm not saying that we are going
to become the NDSU of Montana, but MSU is definitely on the way to a new era in this state. And so is the Big Sky.
Go Cats

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: MSU and the changing landscape

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:33 pm

Interesting points. For clarification sake I would say Texas A&M is the State University in Texas. UT more like UM.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 09, 2017 2:00 pm

The emphasis on STEM degrees has certainly helped former "cow colleges". More girls going into engineering could change the whole demographic of these cow colleges.

What is going to happen in the 2020's? Bozeman could surpass Great Falls in population, and Gallatin County could surpass Missoula, County. 10 or 20 years ago who would have thought that Gallatin Field would become the busiest airport in the state? Even busier than Billings which is more than twice the size of Bozeman. But now not only is the BZN the busiest airport in Montana-it's not even close. Bozeman has become an economic juggernaut within this state and the engine driving it, more than anything else, is MSU. Will some of this new wealth finds its way to MSU athletics? That will be interesting to see.

A few interesting articles about the growth going on in Gallatin County right now:
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... a57c2.html

http://www.explorebigsky.com/a-billion-dollar-bet

http://mountainjournal.org/the-wildest- ... any-people

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:47 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:The emphasis on STEM degrees has certainly helped former "cow colleges". More girls going into engineering could change the whole demographic of these cow colleges.

What is going to happen in the 2020's? Bozeman could surpass Great Falls in population, and Gallatin County could surpass Missoula, County. 10 or 20 years ago who would have thought that Gallatin Field would become the busiest airport in the state? Even busier than Billings which is more than twice the size of Bozeman. But now not only is the BZN the busiest airport in Montana-it's not even close. Bozeman has become an economic juggernaut within this state and the engine driving it, more than anything else, is MSU. Will some of this new wealth finds its way to MSU athletics? That will be interesting to see.

A few interesting articles about the growth going on in Gallatin County right now:

Any idea what happens to Gallatin County if they get the Olympics? It's already a perfect world class venue and the IOC will build the necessary infrastructure required for such an event. How many dorms would be required to house the athletes? The enrollment at MSU would obviously increase due to the increased housing thanks to the IOC.

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:03 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:The emphasis on STEM degrees has certainly helped former "cow colleges". More girls going into engineering could change the whole demographic of these cow colleges.

Any idea what happens to Gallatin County if they get the Olympics? It's already a perfect world class venue and the IOC will build the necessary infrastructure required for such an event. How many dorms would be required to house the athletes? The enrollment at MSU would obviously increase due to the increased housing thanks to the IOC.

You're kidding, right? What a way to destroy Bozeman and surrounding country!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:38 pm

arvcat2 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

For someone raised in the Gallatin in the late 50s, 60s and 70s what do you suppose it seems like to go back to Bozeangelos now to me? My response to BelgradeBobcat addressed his musings about growth. I fully understand the mindset of all who moved there who somehow feel now that they are there they ought to be able to build a wall around the area to keep everybody else out. I love MSU and the Gallatin, Broadwater and Jefferson County but still can't stand Bozeangelos.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:56 pm

I guess Bozeman for the 2026 Winter Olympics is still a thing: http://www.bozeman2026.com/, but I think it's the longest of long shots.
But there is no doubt Bozeman and surround areas are growing fast. How does that growth impact MSU athletics?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:10 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:I guess Bozeman for the 2026 Winter Olympics is still a thing: http://www.bozeman2026.com/, but I think it's the longest of long shots.
But there is no doubt Bozeman and surround areas are growing fast. How does that growth impact MSU athletics?
96 Olympics in Atlanta best case study I know of because the Olympic Village housing was built on a commuter school (Georgia State) and turned over to the college upon completion of the games. Other venues such as the white water events on the Ocowee in Tennessee were turned over to the state. The venues that the IOC either built or improved were obviously world class (I know, duh!) and the majority were on college campuses. The Georgia State Director of the Atlanta Olympics ensured venues he chose for sites would go to colleges in Georgia. The HOPE scholarship in Georgia combined with the Olympics "giving" great facilities to various schools has afforded Georgia the opportunity to provide a tuition free education to all their residents provided they maintain at least a 3.00 all the way through graduate, medical and law school if a resident so desires to pursue their education.

MSU and the surrounding area would benefit from hosting the Olympics.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:45 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
BelgradeBobcat wrote:I guess Bozeman for the 2026 Winter Olympics is still a thing: http://www.bozeman2026.com/, but I think it's the longest of long shots.
96 Olympics in Atlanta best case study I know of because the Olympic Village housing was built on a commuter school (Georgia State) and turned over to the college upon completion of the games. Other venues such as the white water events on the Ocowee in Tennessee were turned over to the state. The venues that the IOC either built or improved were obviously world class (I know, duh!) and the majority were on college campuses. The Georgia State Director of the Atlanta Olympics ensured venues he chose for sites would go to colleges in Georgia. The HOPE scholarship in Georgia combined with the Olympics "giving" great facilities to various schools has afforded Georgia the opportunity to provide a tuition free education to all their residents provided they maintain at least a 3.00 all the way through graduate, medical and law school if a resident so desires to pursue their education.

I agree with you to a degree. I stayed in one of the dorms built for athletes on the campus at Utah after those Olympics. Great addition there as well. I also think the somewhat smaller footprint of the winter games could theoretically work in a place like Bozeman, but i still think on balance the chance of it becoming a boondoggle could be fairly high. My bet is on Tahoe for 2026 anyway, but Bozeman being in the mix at all is maybe not bad for business.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:00 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I agree with you to a degree. I stayed in one of the dorms built for athletes on the campus at Utah after those Olympics. Great addition there as well. I also think the somewhat smaller footprint of the winter games could theoretically work in a place like Bozeman, but i still think on balance the chance of it becoming a boondoggle could be fairly high. My bet is on Tahoe for 2026 anyway, but Bozeman being in the mix at all is maybe not bad for business.
It certainly didn't hurt the canucks that infest the Flathead after Calgary and Vancouver. Although the winter olympics pale in scope to the summer games, they still leave a huge footprint on the community the committee is bribed enough to choose to host them. And yes, given the staff ineptness on games and traffic control at a MSU activitity such as a football game, it could turn out to be a cluster WHAT? beyond any and all boondoggle comprehension. I can't imagine getting hockey in and out of the football stadium or skating out of the fieldhouse back to housing in less than a week...probably shouldn't happen now that I think about it.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:58 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

It certainly didn't hurt the canucks that infest the Flathead after Calgary and Vancouver. Although the winter olympics pale in scope to the summer games, they still leave a huge footprint on the community the committee is bribed enough to choose to host them. And yes, given the staff ineptness on games and traffic control at a MSU activitity such as a football game, it could turn out to be a cluster WHAT? beyond any and all boondoggle comprehension. I can't imagine getting hockey in and out of the football stadium or skating out of the fieldhouse back to housing in less than a week...probably shouldn't happen now that I think about it.

Just curious where Bozeman will get the cash to build the facilities to host the Olympic games. I don't believe the IOC gives any money to host the games. The USNOC might give up some cash, but the rest has to come from taxpayers or sponsors. Utah is looking at a 40 million dollar price tag just to update their facilities from the last Olympics held there. The Bozeman area has some nice ski hills, but is lacking in just about every other facility (Hockey, speed skating, ice skating, bobsled, curling, luge, ski jumping, etc.) that would be needed to host an event of that size. I doubt the city could afford any upkeep on Olympic facilities after the events end. The Olympics would be cool, but I think it would be cost prohibitive. I'm open to hosting some Olympic events though, if a stateside location does win the right to host the games.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

2 biggest (hypothetical) issues in my opinion are some form of rapid transit to the ski venue(s), and just the sheer amount of required infrastructure. Undoubtedly big benefits to msu, up to and including a totally revamped or new fieldhouse, and lots of new student housing, which is in short supply for the foreseeable. Would be interesting to see the specifics, if they had them, of how the Bozeman 2026 committee was going to bid it.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:51 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

2 biggest (hypothetical) issues in my opinion are some form of rapid transit to the ski venue(s), and just the sheer amount of required infrastructure. Undoubtedly big benefits to msu, up to and including a totally revamped or new fieldhouse, and lots of new student housing, which is in short supply for the foreseeable. Would be interesting to see the specifics, if they had them, of how the Bozeman 2026 committee was going to bid it.
Yes, the IOC would have quite a project on their hands and just like the 96 Olympics in Atlanta had transit issues (final after action reports main criticism) the rest of it is almost there for all intents and purposes. As has been pointed out by someone who lived in housing built in Salt Lake for their winter olympics, the IOC committee chooses great venues. With Bridger, Big Sky and the MSU campus already there and an international airport in Belgrade, all that's lacking right now would be the leadership to ensure the facilities are completed on time. Anyway, there are many individualw flying in and out of Belgrade daily that have experience with much larger projects than this would be.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:08 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Yes, the IOC would have quite a project on their hands and just like the 96 Olympics in Atlanta had transit issues (final after action reports main criticism) the rest of it is almost there for all intents and purposes. As has been pointed out by someone who lived in housing built in Salt Lake for their winter olympics, the IOC committee chooses great venues. With Bridger, Big Sky and the MSU campus already there and an international airport in Belgrade, all that's lacking right now would be the leadership to ensure the facilities are completed on time. Anyway, there are many individualw flying in and out of Belgrade daily that have experience with much larger projects than this would be.
I guess it was Goldstone Cat who lived in the dorms the IOC built on the Utah campus. Not certain whether BYU benefited or even had any events there because I never watched any of the olympics there.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:41 pm

So... has anyone seen preliminary plans or renderings for an Olympic Stadium?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:17 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I guess it was Goldstone Cat who lived in the dorms the IOC built on the Utah campus. Not certain whether BYU benefited or even had any events there because I never watched any of the olympics there.
The Sochi Olympics cost $51 Billion. The Beijing Winter Olympics are projected to cost $4 Billion today, but will probably be much more expensive. I have a hard time seeing where Bozeman, Gallatin County, or the state of Montana comes up with that kind of money.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:26 pm

There is no facepalm gif adequate enough for this topic.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:03 am

As for the original post, i agree, i think we're entering a period of unprecedented opportunity, due to the changing demands of the economy and the skills required to be paid in it. With the attractiveness of STEM programs, and a place like Bozeman being able to recruit itself somewhat, the university and our athletic programs can both continue to grow and improve. It's also a high-stakes time period. We need better facilities to make those jumps, and those come hand in hand with success. I hope we can find a way to get the facilities plan rolling and take advantage of the opportunity the OP so eloquently laid out.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:36 am

arvcat2 wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

Exactly. The last effects are not worth the momentary budget increase.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:50 am

Why don't they go get the investors that want to rebuild the downtown area of Billings and spend $1 Billion dollars.

They could build a wonderful convention center complete with all of the hotels required for the Olympics and we could really do the Olympics right in Bozeman?

Come on you big dollar boosters, think what this would do to BozAngleles.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back