What happened to Skyline?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

What happened to Skyline?

Post by catsrback76 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 8:38 am

I have a question regarding Skyline Sports coverage of the Cats. Since the end of the Cat-griz game, it seems as though Skyline has vanished ( slight overstatement :) ) in regards to covering the Cats. I need to say that I am not a subscriber so I really have zero ax to grind or complaint to raise regarding what coverage Colter and team choose to bring to the Cats.

I noticed that the first interview posted following Cat -friz was an interview with losing coach Stitt. I found that curious as it seemed to be more a point of wondering about how Stitt was doing, rather than celebrating a beautiful defeat by the Bobcats, making it back to back wins for the Cats something seldom done in several years.

Now that Coach H is back in the zoo, the TnT show, and with the boys being griz fans and mom living in Missoula, it seems natural for them to pull the tab in Bozeman and throw back into life in the zoo. I have enjoyed, and will enjoy whatever coverage they bring to all regarding the Cats.

I might be over evaluating things, and I am certainly not complaining as much as I am noticing a silence coming out of Skyline since the Brawl. Not going to lose sleep, but curious if any others notice the same, or should I just delete this thread? :D :D :D

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Re: What happened to Skyline?

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:14 am

Of course they're going to cover a new coach hire more, it's news.

Griz fans complain we get too much coverage from Skyline.
Cat fans complain they get too much coverage.

So they just be about right on the dot.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:47 am

It's commonly known as The Rachac Effect.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:56 am

catsrback76 wrote:I have a question regarding Skyline Sports coverage of the Cats. Since the end of the Cat-griz game, it seems as though Skyline has vanished ( slight overstatement :) ) in regards to covering the Cats. I need to say that I am not a subscriber so I really have zero ax to grind or complaint to raise regarding what coverage Colter and team choose to bring to the Cats.

I noticed that the first interview posted following Cat -friz was an interview with losing coach Stitt. I found that curious as it seemed to be more a point of wondering about how Stitt was doing, rather than celebrating a beautiful defeat by the Bobcats, making it back to back wins for the Cats something seldom done in several years.

Now that Coach H is back in the zoo, the TnT show, and with the boys being griz fans and mom living in Missoula, it seems natural for them to pull the tab in Bozeman and throw back into life in the zoo. I have enjoyed, and will enjoy whatever coverage they bring to all regarding the Cats.

I might be over evaluating things, and I am certainly not complaining as much as I am noticing a silence coming out of Skyline since the Brawl. Not going to lose sleep, but curious if any others notice the same, or should I just delete this thread? :D :D :D
I agree... the outlet has been silent on the Bobcats since we've OWNed THE STATE again. Isn't the guy that runs that outfit a jizz fan anyway?

SLC_Cat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by SLC_Cat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:05 am

It should be pointed out that Stitt and his group denied the Skyline staff access. Now that there is a new head coach they are trying to position themselves so that they might get better access to the U of M program. More access for Skyline is better for fans and the news group.

IMO about the only thing that will knock Bobby off the perch of biggest sports news story in the state would be a basketball win over a top 25 program.

Montana State University, 2007 BA
Northeastern University, 2009 MA

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:16 am

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:I have a question regarding Skyline Sports coverage of the Cats. Since the end of the Cat-griz game, it seems as though Skyline has vanished ( slight overstatement :) ) in regards to covering the Cats. I need to say that I am not a subscriber so I really have zero ax to grind or complaint to raise regarding what coverage Colter and team choose to bring to the Cats.

I agree... the outlet has been silent on the Bobcats since we've OWNed THE STATE again. Isn't the guy that runs that outfit a jizz fan anyway?
How many times does Colter need to address this?

He, Brooks, and Kyle are doing a good job covering the Bobcats. They will continue to do so. We just haven't had any reason to be in the news recently.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:23 am

bobcat99 wrote:

He, Brooks, and Kyle are doing a good job covering the Bobcats. They will continue to do so. We just haven't had any reason to be in the news recently.
The amount of access that Colter has given us over the past five or so years has exceeded anything a local newspaper or state-wide media outlet has produced. We didn't make the playoffs so what news is there to report exactly? The most recent thing to happen with the media was Jeff's press conference yesterday...which Skyline posted immediately.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:31 am

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:

The amount of access that Colter has given us over the past five or so years has exceeded anything a local newspaper or state-wide media outlet has produced. We didn't make the playoffs so what news is there to report exactly? The most recent thing to happen with the media was Jeff's press conference yesterday...which Skyline posted immediately.
Well said Vim. If you would rather read Greg's 4 paragraph articles in the Gazette throughout the year then I guess keep complaining. The type of in depth stories Colter puts out are nothing to complain about. Where else would we have read about all of the senior's incredible stories?

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:17 pm

I have no problem with it either, and I understand what Colter is doing. He can't be making a lot of money on this (hopefully, yet), so he's doing what he can to try to grow his subscriber base. That's just Business 101. I wish him well, and I doubt this means he will start to cover the Bobcats less.

I just wish there was a way to block the constant mentions of all things grizzly from his Twitter account. Pisses me off when half my feed is blown up about things I don't give two sh*ts about. :D

GO CATS GO!!!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:44 pm

I've noticed, seemingly, that his output has decreased a bit since he hooked up with ESPN radio in Missoula. I mean simply he just doesn't have as much time, that show is what 2 hours long, plus the prep he has to do for it.

I'm extremely jealous of that show, it's pretty entertaining and they spend an hour of every Monday talking Griz sports. I wish we had a counterpart.

That being said, Colter has set a pretty high bar for us Cat fans in terms of quality, and quantity of his output. If that starts to dwindle, at some point subscribers will start walking.

For me though, personally the #1 reason I subscribe is for insider, breaking news - not the player profile stories, which are great, or not the recap of the game. I want the recruiting info, insider information. As long as that doesn't change I'm in.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Maybe someone like VIM or VIM himself would be willing to do something similar on one of the Bozeman radio stations. VIM's football knowledge is top notch and objective, so he gets my vote.

VIM... what do you think? Do you have a radio voice?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:12 pm

85CatGrad wrote:Maybe someone like VIM or VIM himself would be willing to do something similar on one of the Bozeman radio stations. VIM's football knowledge is top notch and objective, so he gets my vote.

Auto tune if not :lol:

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:18 pm

85CatGrad wrote:Maybe someone like VIM or VIM himself would be willing to do something similar on one of the Bozeman radio stations. VIM's football knowledge is top notch and objective, so he gets my vote.

I value my anonymity. And I mostly just have opinions, not really insights. Colter is good at what he does, plain and simple. Also, keep in mind that ESPN Radio is only in three locations in Montana: Missoula, Helena, and Great Falls. Not sure how you get ESPN radio to Bozeman.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:25 pm

For the most part, I like reading their stories and I think they do a good job. However, I did have to turn off their twitter feeds because of the constant bombardment of griz stories and pictures of Hauk. I may turn it back on when football season gets closer.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:

I value my anonymity. And I mostly just have opinions, not really insights. Colter is good at what he does, plain and simple. Also, keep in mind that ESPN Radio is only in three locations in Montana: Missoula, Helena, and Great Falls. Not sure how you get ESPN radio to Bozeman.
I understand VIM. BTW, your opinions are great. You get my vote for "BN Poster of the Year!"

Maybe Colter is already working on expanding his program and bringing ESPN radio to Bozeman. Hint, hint.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:38 pm

Generally, no news is good news, during the off-season.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:00 pm

Hawks86 wrote:Generally, no news is good news, during the off-season.
This. Until the early signing day on the 20th there isn't much to report at this time for a program like MSU going through a period of relative stability. Just look at what is on here right now, mainly it's Hauck posts and the utterly futile attempt to predict MSU's 2018 record 9 months in advance of the season starting!

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:14 pm

I have been an advocate of getting out the pitchforks and torches, even when he worked for the Chronicle. This guy needs to be brought back to earth. This is the only reasonable way to not only get more coverage, but also to force him to be a Bobcat fan. A perfect day for this is coming up with the Winter Solstice coming up. Since this is the only reasonable way to handle this, I say we also throws it the scatter and anybody with griz in their screen name.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:41 pm

Choate, Fish and Binford have all been gone. Players have been unavailable. Plus Thanksgiving and the Montana coaching search. I am heading to Bozeman tonight and staying through Monday to get interviews for all things Bobcats for the rest of the month. In fact, I'm using my only day of vacation from ESPN Monday to get Bobcat content for you guys.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:47 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:Choate, Fish and Binford have all been gone. Players have been unavailable. Plus Thanksgiving and the Montana coaching search. I am heading to Bozeman tonight and staying through Monday to get interviews for all things Bobcats for the rest of the month. In fact, I'm using my only day of vacation from ESPN Monday to get Bobcat content for you guys.
You're the man Colter :thumbup: