Jeff Choate end of the season press conference

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Jeff Choate end of the season press conference

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:00 pm

LISTEN - Big Sky Breakdown: Montana State head coach Jeff Choate end of season press conference -
https://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-bre ... onference/

In this episode, Montana State head coach Jeff Choate breaks down his second season at the helm, talks about the new early signing period, gives his thoughts on the FCS playoff field – three teams MSU played last season are among the final eight in the bracket – and touches on Bobby Hauck’s hiring as the head coach of the rival Montana Grizzlies.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Jeff Choate end of the season press conference

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:16 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Based off what I've been hearing, coaching staffs (not just MSU) are putting emphasis on getting current commits to sign on the dotted line from December 20-22 (early signing period). If current commits waiver on that, they are putting their offer up in the air or possibly even losing it. Coaches will waste no time moving on to a new crop of kids who will come in during the normal January visits. Now of course some kids may have scheduling issues with their official visit times so some commits will wait until they take their official in January and sign on Feb. 7, 2018. Several out-of-state recruits currently committed are already scheduled to take their official visits on Dec. 8-10 in a few weeks (per twitter).

Not gonna lie, if I was a coach I would like the early signing period a lot. It's a litmus test to see who is actually committed to the school/program instead of looking for a bigger offer. If a commit is on the fence, it gives the coaches time to move on to new kids before the January recruiting period.
If you go to 8:00 in the video, Choate is very open about how he feels about a commit being on the fence prior to the early signing date. It links up with what I said post-Cat/Griz in the 2018 Recruiting Thread above.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."