Kennesaw and SDSU both won...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Kennesaw and SDSU both won...

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:04 pm

Apparently both Kennesaw State and SDSU are pretty good as they won their playoff games pretty handily. That really doesn't mean much for MSU because we lost to both, but we were competitive with both and arguably could of won both games against them. We are a 5-6 team that is closer to being 8-3 or 9-2.

A couple of tweaks...and we are there.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Re: Kennesaw and SDSU both won...

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:18 pm

Looks like Weber will probably make the elite 8 as well, although their game is still going on.

What a schedule the Cats played this year. Sheesh!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:32 pm

And no one blew us out either. We played tough, every game.

MTBluesCAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by MTBluesCAT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:08 pm

So we lose 3 games to the 8 remaining teams in FCS by a total of 14 points combined. Granted all were at home, but in theory if a few things go our way we could be one of those 8 teams. Football is a fickle game. We did make mistakes and our coaches/players will learn from it. I like the direction our program is headed and I am proud of the way our team never quit! We were in every game we played and hopefully next year we can take the next step. I am very excited for the 2018 Bobcats. GO CATS!

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:00 am

And they did it today with 2 road wins, 1 at home with a combined 42 points. Makes out 14 points look even better.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:45 am

Only one of the remaining eight teams has more than two losses. MSU’s four 2017 FCS playoff opponents are now 5-1 in playoffs. Makes people who picked MSU to 9-2 feel a little better.

Oddly enough, the FCS team that beat MSU by the most points (EWU 12) didn’t make playoffs.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:25 am

Special teams and offensive line penalties cost MSU how many games this year? Attention to detail gained through experience ought to benefit these kids next year.

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:10 am

Yep, I think this is very telling. I have said all along that IMO, what was more important than the W-L record, was how
we competed in each game. As a fan I can honestly say that I truly enjoyed attending the bobcat games this year.

What a change for the last couple of years prior to Coach Choate, when the games would literally be over by
halftime. I recall being at a game against NAU in Flagstaff. We had a team with good talent. Dakota Prukop
was our QB and was going wild. Yet the game was over by halftime.

This program is headed in the right direction and I can't wait for 2018.

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:54 am

Also Cramsey’s offense put up 54 points in Sam Houston’s win over South Dakota.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:56 pm

Cat Grad wrote:Special teams and offensive line penalties cost MSU how many games this year? Attention to detail gained through experience ought to benefit these kids next year.
There was also that personal foul for roughing the passer that basically ended the Weber game after the Bobcats had stopped Weber late and only down 5. Need to not make those mistakes next year.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:19 pm

catsrback76 wrote:Apparently both Kennesaw State and SDSU are pretty good as they won their playoff games pretty handily. That really doesn't mean much for MSU because we lost to both, but we were competitive with both and arguably could of won both games against them. We are a 5-6 team that is closer to being 8-3 or 9-2.

Agreed. We have arrived. :D

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:18 pm

utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Apparently both Kennesaw State and SDSU are pretty good as they won their playoff games pretty handily. That really doesn't mean much for MSU because we lost to both, but we were competitive with both and arguably could of won both games against them. We are a 5-6 team that is closer to being 8-3 or 9-2.

Touche` :goodpost:

LIBBYCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by LIBBYCAT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:19 pm

As much fun as this year was to watch a very young team compete, I am cautiously optimistic about next year. This team found just about every way possible to lose a game.
1.) slow starts w scripted plays, play calling and execution. Margin of error was to narrow against stronger competition.
2.) special teams weren't early but punting ended up being a bright spot.
3.) 3rd down defense, even marginal success here change 2-3 games.
4.) clock management, one game the team managed to get out of its way long enough to beat a mediocre team.

Given the level of competition this year, I fully expect a playoff game next year. Maturity for both the players and coaches should be improved. Depth and quality of recruiting will help also. I'm not sure the offensive system favors a feature back but the current guys seem to need a punishing two yard guy to round out the stable. A pass rusher is a necessity with the emergence of a current guy or recruiting a stud. This team needs to create some turn overs. All this is obvious stuff but should create the opportunities to be a playoff team next year.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:32 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

There was a little part of the thread that said, "We are a 5-6 team... a couple of tweaks...and we are there"!

Ain't no arrival yet...as mentioned above, clean up rookie mistakes, personal fouls, and execute in the red zone...and get a passing QB in place and Katie bar the door!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Did you play high school ball at Bozeman Senior??? Use to hear Katie bar the door frequently. [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16][emoji16] Good memories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:05 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:

There was a little part of the thread that said, "We are a 5-6 team... a couple of tweaks...and we are there"!

Ain't no arrival yet...as mentioned above, clean up rookie mistakes, personal fouls, and execute in the red zone...and get a passing QB in place and Katie bar the door!
Nope i agree with you, was just giving my arguing buddy utucats some props for his little self depracating post there. I think we arrive August 30 next year.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:26 am

Yep. Weber St also advanced to quarterfinals. This means three of Bobcats six losses came to Top 8 FCS teams. Another loss came to a Top 25 D1 WSU team.

I was at the SDSU & Kennesaw St game. Both games were tragic losses that should have been won by the Bobcats. Following the Weber St came on TV, Bobcats were competitive but Weber controlled that game from the start.

The Cats were a top 20 FCS team by November this year.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:47 am

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:

Yep. Weber St also advanced to quarterfinals. This means three of Bobcats six losses came to Top 8 FCS teams. Another loss came to a Top 25 D1 WSU team.

I was at the SDSU & Kennesaw St game. Both games were tragic losses that should have been won by the Bobcats. Following the Weber St came on TV, Bobcats were competitive but Weber controlled that game from the start.

The Cats were a top 20 FCS team by November this year.
Disagree about the Weber game. The Cats had a 10-9 lead at half which should've been bigger, but we had trouble finishing in the red zone. It was the 3rd quarter where Weber took over with 2 long TD drives to go up 22-10.

But yes, it's amazing the Cats ended up playing 3 of the final 8 FCS teams!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:07 am

I'll play devil's advocate here and say the NAU loss looks really bad now, considering they lost 3 of their last 4 and got blown out at home by a non-scholarship team in the first round.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:32 am

CelticCat wrote:I'll play devil's advocate here and say the NAU loss looks really bad now, considering they lost 3 of their last 4 and got blown out at home by a non-scholarship team in the first round.
Albeit a non scholarship team in a metro area that always makes the playoffs, and has playoff wins under their belt.