Returning starters

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Returning starters

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:00 pm

I know MSU has a ton of returning starters (16?) and contributors, but what do other BSC teams have coming back?

I believe Weber loses Cantwell, Murphy, and Johnson. NAU has Cookus coming back. Not sure about S. Utah.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Returning starters

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:07 pm

If spring ball started tomorrow who would be the starters on defense...assuming all injuries have healed.

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Post by catgrad05 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:39 pm

What about North Dakota? I know technically they are not part of the conference next year but they still have games against some big sky teams. They where arguably the mist banged up team in the conference and could be a tough game for some teams.

Sac state sure surprised me this year. Where they an experienced team in 2017?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:48 pm

catgrad05 wrote:What about North Dakota? I know technically they are not part of the conference next year but they still have games against some big sky teams. They where arguably the mist banged up team in the conference and could be a tough game for some teams.

I thought Sac State did a great job this year. Their starter from 2016, Nate Ketteringham, transferred to UND at the end of last season. Heck of a turnaround and way to overcome for Sac State. :thumbup:

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:03 pm

AFCAT wrote:
catgrad05 wrote:What about North Dakota? I know technically they are not part of the conference next year but they still have games against some big sky teams. They where arguably the mist banged up team in the conference and could be a tough game for some teams.

I thought Sac State did a great job this year. Their starter from 2016, Nate Ketteringham, transferred to UND at the end of last season. Heck of a turnaround and way to overcome for Sac State. :thumbup:

Sac State thought Jody Sears did a good enough job to give him a multi-year contract extension.
http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... -extension
Fresh off being named the Big Sky Conference co-coach of the year, Sacramento State's Jody Sears is being rewarded with a multiyear contract extension.

Athletic director Mark Orr announced Thursday that the two sides have agreed in principle to the extension, although terms will not be released until it is finalized.

"This is a testament to the leadership that Coach Sears and his staff have provided to our student-athletes," Orr said. "He created a plan for the program, stuck to it, and the team was able to reap the rewards this season. We are all excited for what is to come for Hornet football in the future."

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 pm

Historically, it is less about returning starters and more about returning "starts" on the offensive line and to a lesser degree the defensive line. Cowherd did some research at the Power 5 level, which wasn't P5 at the time, but future success was most linked to returning OL starts. With that as our guide, we have Neale (11), Brott (11), Tuiousosopo (7-8) and Kidd (5-6). That is in our favor I assume.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Phat Daddy wrote:Historically, it is less about returning starters and more about returning "starts" on the offensive line and to a lesser degree the defensive line. Cowherd did some research at the Power 5 level, which wasn't P5 at the time, but future success was most linked to returning OL starts. With that as our guide, we have Neale (11), Brott (11), Tuiousosopo (7-8) and Kidd (5-6). That is in our favor I assume.
Now THAT is a very interesting stat. I’m quite intrigued. Do you happen to recall the degree of correlation? And when you say success, is that wins or some other measure?

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:08 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I know MSU has a ton of returning starters (16?) and contributors, but what do other BSC teams have coming back?

I believe Weber loses Cantwell, Murphy, and Johnson. NAU has Cookus coming back. Not sure about S. Utah.
Vollert, that mountain of a receiving TE for Weber, is a sr also, which doesn't hurt my feelings. Marks and butler both seniors for NAU.

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:15 pm

watching the Weber game. Definitely will not miss Cantwell and Vollert next year, any at all.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:00 pm

Cardon Malan of Weber has been killing SUU. The Weber defensive rush is pretty darn good.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Phat Daddy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Phat Daddy » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:57 pm

Cledus wrote:
Phat Daddy wrote:Historically, it is less about returning starters and more about returning "starts" on the offensive line and to a lesser degree the defensive line. Cowherd did some research at the Power 5 level, which wasn't P5 at the time, but future success was most linked to returning OL starts. With that as our guide, we have Neale (11), Brott (11), Tuiousosopo (7-8) and Kidd (5-6). That is in our favor I assume.
Now THAT is a very interesting stat. I’m quite intrigued. Do you happen to recall the degree of correlation? And when you say success, is that wins or some other measure?
There was a was a stretch on Coward's show where he spoke frequently about the correlation, but I don't recall much about how deeply he went with it. I just remember being impacted by the discussion and the significance of returning OL starters to success and that yes, by success, it was wins. I believe he used it in the NFL and the P5 schools, again, not P5 at the time.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:35 pm

I wonder if that extends to the dline as well?

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:50 am

The season John Weidenaar returned for his senior year the Cats had one of the largest, most experienced OL's I can remember. They combined for over 100 starts. That did translate into enormous, record breaking output. Still...couldn't overcome the defense.