Any chance Gregorak goes back to Hauck?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Any chance Gregorak goes back to Hauck?

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:22 am

Grizaddict wrote:
catatac wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
catatac wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:Boy they are convinced over there that he's gonna come right in there and start running the table in the league right away. And they might be right, for a bit. Go look at their first 5 league games next year. Joke. Should set them up perfectly for the sting of losing the last 3!
I’d wager $50 the Griz make the playoffs next year.

I hate BH as much as any cat fan, he’s classless and I can’t stand him. But the dude wins games.

Unless he loses a ton of kids due to his style of coaching they will be playoff bound next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think it will be a tall order for them to make the playoffs in 2018. I think they'll need a couple years to replace the entire O Line, weed out some of the 50 WRs, and find some TEs and Fullbacks. I say they're at 6-4 heading into Cat Griz, so MAYBE a bubble team if they can somehow beat us.
I'm surprised about what you said with the O Line. When the Griz got ranked with one of the top recruiting classes in he FCS a couple years back it was in large part to their O Line recruits. It was littered with 3 star and 2 star kids who Germer recruited and has coached since they arrived. Provided Germer stays, which I think he is, this O Line can be a force. They are replacing 4 of 5 starters but Villanueva is back (will be an all Conf lineman) and Thayne Jackson played a ton this year as a RS Freshman. He was the top OL recruit in FCS according to many. Maybe I'm taking your comment out of context?
You are replacing 4 of 5 starters with unproven talent. Right or wrong?
This, Plus, even if these guys end up being All American 330 pounders it will take some time to get them up to speed. The only way to get them coached up and kicking ass as a unit is game reps and a lot of them. Unfortunately for the Griz they have some tough games right out of the gate. So Grizaddict what do you think the Griz record will be in 2018.
Gotcha. Was just making sure I understood what you meant, hence the reason I asked. I thought maybe you were saying their young recruits needed to be replaced completely. That was how it came off to me.

Agree, it will be some growing pains with a young OL but I'm encouraged by them being with Germer and continuing that continuity. Rumor is they are all looking forward to getting back to road-grade blocking as opposed to the zone block concepts of the last few years. As for record, I like to look at it in blocks:

Wins:
Drake
Sac St
Cal Poly
PSU
UC Davis

Losses:
WIU (mvfc playoff team on road)

50-50:
UNI (mvfc playoff team at home who struggles with Griz)
UND (probably more healthy and on road)
SUU (playoff team on road)
Idaho (old rival on road coming off FBS)
MSU (all records go out window)

So I see 5 wins for sure, then 1 loss for sure, then 5 different 50-50 games. If they can win at least 2 of those (which I believe they will) I'm seeing a 7-4 team. I think they'll get their 1 or 2 quality wins this time too making them a 7-4 playoff team.

What's your similar breakdown for Cats.
I'll bite:

Wins
W. Illinois (Because it's a Thursday Gold Rush Game)
Wagner
@ PSU
@ ISU
Cal Poly
UNC

Losses
@ SDSU, (don't know what they lose to graduation, but I just don't think we're ready to go on the road and beat a top 5 team)

Toss-ups
EWU
Idaho (Both might be in the loss column but both at home)
@ WSU
@ UM

So if the Cats can win 2 out of the 4 toss-up games, 8-3 and headed to the playoffs. Win 3 out of 4 and and we're conference champs with a seed.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:46 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:Boy they are convinced over there that he's gonna come right in there and start running the table in the league right away. And they might be right, for a bit. Go look at their first 5 league games next year. Joke. Should set them up perfectly for the sting of losing the last 3!

I hate BH as much as any cat fan, he’s classless and I can’t stand him. But the dude wins games.

Unless he loses a ton of kids due to his style of coaching they will be playoff bound next year.

Don’t know what you meant by the last part. I’ve yet to meet a player that played for him that wouldn’t run through the gates of hell armed only with a glass of water if he asked them to.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:49 am

robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Don’t know what you meant by the last part. I’ve yet to meet a player that played for him that wouldn’t run through the gates of hell armed only with a glass of water if he asked them to.
You think every kid on the current roster has that attitude? If that were the case, then no team would ever lose guys when a new HC comes on.

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:57 am

robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Probably because he kept so many of them out of jail.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:00 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

You think every kid on the current roster has that attitude? If that were the case, then no team would ever lose guys when a new HC comes on.
Yep Hauck is so awesome that not 1 kid will turn him down. 0 turnover. Cuz hey, he is Bobby Hauck!

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:43 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

their best QB recruit has decommitted and reopened his recruiting

Yep Hauck is so awesome that not 1 kid will turn him down. 0 turnover. Cuz hey, he is Bobby Hauck!

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

ImagineSanta
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by ImagineSanta » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:49 pm

robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

My brother's friend played for him, absolutely hated Bobby. :-^

I think you don't get it. Sleeping in until 6 won't get many people very far in life, especially if they want to play on Sunday.
-Cat Grad

JDoub
Member # Retired

Post by JDoub » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:02 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote: I’d wager $50 the Griz make the playoffs next year.

I dunno, I can't fully buy in to living in the past. Dude won games while at UM, but that was long ago. Things have changed.

His last 5 years as a HC he was 15-49, four of the five seasons he had 2 wins, with 2 of those 8 wins coming against FCS schools, like a nail-biting 13-12 win over Northern Colorado. His best of 5 seasons he was 7-6 and lost to North Texas in his only bowl game.

He is inheriting a team built by Stitthead, not Hauck style, not Hauck players. Last he took the helm at UM, he inherited one of the finest teams in FCS at one of the finest programs in the FCS. The team and the program have lost their luster since then.

Hauck will not bring the griz back to where they were at the time he left, with or without Gregorak & brother Timmy. Incrementally better than Stitt, yes -- but Stitt was horrible for the griz.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:11 pm

robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I’ve met a few.

But I was more saying that any coach change “normally” leads to turnover of kids. Just different coaching styles, philosophies etc.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:24 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Not saying that at all. As a matter of fact I expect we will lose a few. Cannot remember who it was but in his first year here he lost a starter on the first day. I just don’t think we will lose a ton. A few yes. A ton no. But I could be wrong.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:25 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Pretty sure I didn’t say that.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:26 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Pretty sure I didn’t say that.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:26 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Pretty sure I didn’t say that

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:28 pm

BigBruceBaker wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

I’ve met a few.

But I was more saying that any coach change “normally” leads to turnover of kids. Just different coaching styles, philosophies etc.

Gotcha. Sorry I misunderstood that. Totally agree.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:35 pm

robgriz wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
robgriz wrote:
BigBruceBaker wrote:

Not saying that at all. As a matter of fact I expect we will lose a few. Cannot remember who it was but in his first year here he lost a starter on the first day. I just don’t think we will lose a ton. A few yes. A ton no. But I could be wrong.
Kramer's first year the Cats ended up with 3(Three!) kids on senior day. My guess is there are a good number of kids that won't fit, or won't want to play in Bobby's system. He will place similar demands on performance I think, but I could be wrong. :wink:

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:39 pm

JDoub wrote:

I dunno, I can't fully buy in to living in the past. Dude won games while at UM, but that was long ago. Things have changed.

His last 5 years as a HC he was 15-49, four of the five seasons he had 2 wins, with 2 of those 8 wins coming against FCS schools, like a nail-biting 13-12 win over Northern Colorado. His best of 5 seasons he was 7-6 and lost to North Texas in his only bowl game.

He is inheriting a team built by Stitthead, not Hauck style, not Hauck players. Last he took the helm at UM, he inherited one of the finest teams in FCS at one of the finest programs in the FCS. The team and the program have lost their luster since then.

Hauck will not bring the griz back to where they were at the time he left, with or without Gregorak & brother Timmy. Incrementally better than Stitt, yes -- but Stitt was horrible for the griz.
While I welcomed Hauck back, he wasn’t my first choice necessarily. I will say this, win or lose he is going to change the attitude of this team, much the same as Choate has changed the attitude of the Cats.
I understand how people want to use his time at UNLV as a barometer for his HC ability and to some extent he definitely owns that, but I would submit that UNLV is a hard place to win at because it’s a hard place to recruit to, even for Hauck a guy known for his recruiting. Not many sane parents think sending their 19 year old to Sin City is a recipe for collegiate success.
Is he the guy to right the ship? IDK for sure.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:51 pm

robgriz wrote:
JDoub wrote:

While I welcomed Hauck back, he wasn’t my first choice necessarily. I will say this, win or lose he is going to change the attitude of this team, much the same as Choate has changed the attitude of the Cats.
I understand how people want to use his time at UNLV as a barometer for his HC ability and to some extent he definitely owns that, but I would submit that UNLV is a hard place to win at because it’s a hard place to recruit to, even for Hauck a guy known for his recruiting. Not many sane parents think sending their 19 year old to Sin City is a recipe for collegiate success.
Is he the guy to right the ship? IDK for sure.
Great post.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:11 pm

I kinda doubt Hauck has the same energy level at 53 years old as he did at 38. Several players quit while he was coach at UM. It was an eight team league his first three years and nine teams the last four.

The best run in the BSC was the 1995-2001 Griz. They went 14-5 in the playoffs and won two NCs and were runner up twice.
Hauck followed that.

Next to that is EWU from 2010 to 2016. Eagles went 12-4 in playoffs, won the NC and made semis three other times. Hauck is following that. Big difference between 2003 and 2018.

Hauck was 11-7 in playoffs with no NC and three runner ups.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:27 pm

iaafan wrote:I kinda doubt Hauck has the same energy level at 53 years old as he did at 38. Several players quit while he was coach at UM. It was an eight team league his first three years and nine teams the last four.

The best run in the BSC was the 1995-2001 Griz. They went 14-5 in the playoffs and won two NCs and were runner up twice.
Hauck followed that.

Next to that is EWU from 2010 to 2016. Eagles went 12-4 in playoffs, won the NC and made semis three other times. Hauck is following that. Big difference between 2003 and 2018.

Actually your first sentence WAS my biggest concern. But after listening to his presser, hearing some reports from the player meeting from players and hearing what my nephew (former Griz and current coach) had to say, I’m not sure that needs be a concern. But honestly I agree with Haucks assessment of the BSC, it is what it has been, just the teams at the top changed. Teams at the top should have “Montana” in their name. Period. Of course I’m partial to which team with Montana in its name is #1...

catscat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by catscat » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:33 pm

iaafan wrote: The best run in the BSC was the 1995-2001 Griz. They went 14-5 in the playoffs and won two NCs and were runner up twice.
Hauck followed that.

So here's one of the keys. Recruiting for a winning team that's playing for and winning NCs is much easier than recruiting for a team that just went 7-4 with 2 cupcakes and hasn't legally won a BSC championship since, what, 2010? Some think Howk's a great recruiter, but who wouldn't be with the record he was recruiting to/for/with. I imagine he'll have some success with in-state recruiting because there are high school players with ties to the griz. The in-staters may also help change the attitude to one more like the 'Cats now have. I also wonder how much the microscope/magnifying glass under which Howk will operate will affect recruiting.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.