New HS Stadium - Why Not Upgrade MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Re: New HS Stadium - Why Not Upgrade MSU

Post by AFCAT » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:21 pm

Cataholic wrote:
AFCAT wrote:Well, since you are the expert on this; Why did they put out this facilities plan and hype it up with the video requesting support for the project? Choate said that; "the arrows are all pointing in the right direction now and we can accomplish some amazing things with the help of alumni and friends." Coach Binford said; "People are onboard, people are fired up about it and now we are going to have an opportunity to provide resources to winners on campus. But we also want our community of fans to be a part of this next stage, getting committed and getting onboard with something you are interested in. It's an opportunity to invest in something that makes a difference in your life. Grab a hold of whatever program of facility that is and help us get there." I didn't hear any mention of; "We are waiting for the big donors first and then we'll ask for you peons for some cash later." People are ready to do what those coaches asked. However, if everyone at MSU believes there is a greater need for student parking first, then they probably should have put that plan out first and hyped it up.

Heck, 5,000 people donating $1,000 a piece is $5 million dollars. That's not chump change. Choate even said he's like put a shovel in the ground now and get this started. If you can get the little people excited enough to donate, the project could be started that much quicker. I just want to donate to this specific facilities plan and, so far, there has been nothing advertised or communicated to me. Why? I am approached for money for scholarships every year and I'm not a big donor. I guess my low level donations is good enough for those scholarship funds.

I'm also curious how my donation to the facilities plan takes away from money going to other campus needs? I get to determine where I want to donate my money and it's not to parking garages. My donation to the facilities plan takes nothing away from other campus improvements since I only want my facilities plan donation to specifically go to that program. My scholarship donations don't go into a big pot of money to be used for something other than scholarships, at least it better not be.

I'd like to see the donations breakdown for the UM improvements. I know the Washington's donate a lot of money, but I suspect there are quite a few little guy donations as well.
Sorry again to MSU01 for lumping you in with AFCAT and Hiline. It appears that most people posting understand that the wheels are turning and the process is moving along.

I will try to address AFCAT's questions above. I don't profess to be an expert on fundraising, but I have tried to educate myself on the process. I am disappointed when people take jabs at Costello (or anybody in the athletic department) without doing any research on the process. To just say "he sucks because he hasn't asked me for a donation directly" is ridiculous.

In regard to the big announcement and fanfare on future athletic facilities, it is intended to drum up hype, support and funds. However, their focus in raising funds is not on the guy who is willing to donate $25. I can assure you that they are seeking big dollar donors to make sure the money will be there. My recollection was that the initial $4 million+ was already raised for the last endzone project before they started a campaign with the general public. As for your comment: "We are waiting for the big donors first and then we'll ask for you peons for some cash later." ---- I am sure you are just trying to make a point and fully understand why such a statement is not made. As for student parking, the garage is already being built. Parking was needed in the late 80's when I attended MSU and the school has grown substantially.

As mentioned before, raising $1,000 each from 5,000 donors is a pipe dream. Only 700 contributed to the end zone project. The vast majority of funds came from the big donors.

You do realize that MSU has one of the finest stadiums and environments in the FCS? Our program will be perfectly okay if it takes some time to pull the funding together. Of course low level donations are welcome and important, but they will be a very small part of funding for stadium improvements. This has been proven in past projects at MSU and similar projects across the country.

Maybe you are different than me, but if I contribute $1,000 to a project, it will impact my giving to other organizations, especially at the same academic institution.

Let me know what you find out about the Griz fan's contribution toward the Champion's Center or other athletic facilities. I fully expect that the "lion's share" comes from major donors such as Washington.
Never said anyone sucks. I'll make some calls on Monday and see if they want donations now or to wait until the whales donate large sums first. I'm still going to send money to the facilities fund now. You can wait if you want, it's a free country.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:43 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Some have said on here, but honestly Costello has the quiet phase down pat, almost like a Peter Fields type. There is no excuse for not fixing the grandstands by next year, none!! After we won in Missoula when Dmac was a freshman it was instant, in regards to starting to get donations and breaking ground on the new end zone. Of course we had to wait until after the NDSU game, but it seemed like we had a plan. With Costello, I see your videos but why hasn’t there been anything going out to boosters or the public around Bozeman. Say MSU wants to raise 2 million to tear down the old bleachers and put in new concrete and bleachers that match the end zone, I guarantee you will get that money in a hurry. Set a concrete plan not a huge plan that will take 20 years to maybe do.
1. There are many athletic projects that have to be done in all sports. Football is not always the first priority.
2. The long term plan has the East side grandstands down the list apparently.
3. The last cost I saw on just the east side grandstands was $10M.
4. Winning the Cat/griz in Missoula had little to do with the end zone project. That was all W.C.
5. We still owe money on the end zone project.
6. We don't have the type of money behind us that UM has. We do well with Academic investors. Not so much for Athletics.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:54 am

Are our donations to these athletic projects tax deductible? I donated to the End Zone project and did deduct it, however, if my deduction was "illegal", I suppose my $250 fill under the IRS radar.

ElbowCat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ElbowCat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:25 pm

arvcat2 wrote:Are our donations to these athletic projects tax deductible? I donated to the End Zone project and did deduct it, however, if my deduction was "illegal", I suppose my $250 fill under the IRS radar.
Any donation to the Alumni Foundation is tax deductible.

cat_stache_fever
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by cat_stache_fever » Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:13 pm

As an aside, I always thought it would be cool if the AA State Championship was held every year at the respective home stadium of Cat/Griz.

How cool would it be to take in the AA chipper on Friday AND the great divide on Saturday?!

Sorry for the derailment...

well.......we gonna pitch it!
"we gonna put something/somebody(?) on they ass...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:36 pm

cat_stache_fever wrote:As an aside, I always thought it would be cool if the AA State Championship was held every year at the respective home stadium of Cat/Griz.

How cool would it be to take in the AA chipper on Friday AND the great divide on Saturday?!

Similar but I think the AA and A championships should be at the stadium not hosting Cat-griz and B and the Cs should be in Helena.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

cat_stache_fever

Post by cat_stache_fever » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:35 pm

Back on track...
I'm in the "get it while it's hot" camp. Healthy enrollment, team trending upwards, a "streak" against UM; the time is yesterday.

I'm sure Costello is fully aware of who his whales are. It's highly doubtful their contribution would be any less maximized if they collected today or 2 years from now. It's pretty clear this thing is happening; why wait?(I'm aware what we owe...)

I wonder who/what would come out of the woodworks if Costello had a presser tomorrow to say they were breaking ground in March?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cXf-VrzznY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:22 am

cat_stache_fever wrote:Back on track...
I'm in the "get it while it's hot" camp. Healthy enrollment, team trending upwards, a "streak" against UM; the time is yesterday.

I'm sure Costello is fully aware of who his whales are. It's highly doubtful their contribution would be any less maximized if they collected today or 2 years from now. It's pretty clear this thing is happening; why wait?(I'm aware what we owe...)

I wonder who/what would come out of the woodworks if Costello had a presser tomorrow to say they were breaking ground in March?
...and if they don't come through, he looks all manner of foolish. Premature ejac much? #-o

Your guys need to learn patience!

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

cat_stache_fever

Post by cat_stache_fever » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:49 am

grizzh8r wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:Back on track...

...and if they don't come through, he looks all manner of foolish. Premature ejac much? #-o

Your guys need to learn patience!
I understand the virtue of patience, but WHAT IF it's a complete success?(you know, like the EZ project?) He looks like a hero, and MSU nabs all the best MT/regional recruits for the next 20 years.

It's gonna rain, Pooh much?

Don't be an, "ALWAYS kick the ball on 4th down," type of guy...

aucat

Post by aucat » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:15 am

It seems to me that Leon Costello is a very engaged AD. If you have questions or suggestions, it would be good to send
him an email. We are all on the same team and want the best for MSU athletics.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:34 pm

cat_stache_fever wrote: I understand the virtue of patience, but WHAT IF it's a complete success?(you know, like the EZ project?) He looks like a hero, and MSU nabs all the best MT/regional recruits for the next 20 years.

It's gonna rain, Pooh much?

Don't be an, "ALWAYS kick the ball on 4th down," type of guy...
MSU breaking ground on the new football office structure/stadium renovation won't mean they will get all the best recruits any more than UM will get all the best recruits because of their new Champions Center or fancy expanded stadium. The EZ project was a success, but that was because they had figured out where the large majority of that funding was coming from before it went public. I would expect the same here - it's super easy to spend other people's money in fantasy land, but they are working in reality here and need to be sure they are going to succeed before they go public to get the last bit of money.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 4:34 pm

coloradocat wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:As an aside, I always thought it would be cool if the AA State Championship was held every year at the respective home stadium of Cat/Griz.

Similar but I think the AA and A championships should be at the stadium not hosting Cat-griz and B and the Cs should be in Helena.
Both of the "C"'s could be in the indoor practice faciltiy

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:30 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Only if they don't mind playing on a non-regulation size field. The indoor facility is 100 yards, not 120 yards. http://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20/ ... spx?id=357

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

catamaran
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by catamaran » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:31 pm

They don't play on a 100 yd field either

if you're keeping score, France gave us Burgundy wine, cigarettes, berets, B.O., brie and the Napoleon complex-Bill Simmons

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:40 pm

catamaran wrote:They don't play on a 100 yd field either

Then it might work. Not sure how high it is for punting or if a high school kid could even hit the roof.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 6:50 pm

AFCAT wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:

Only if they don't mind playing on a non-regulation size field. The indoor facility is 100 yards, not 120 yards. http://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20/ ... spx?id=357
C 6 & 8 man
80 yard field w/10 yd end zones, its narrower too, but not sure how much

B plays on a regular field though I think

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:30 pm

This thread needs to die.

85CatGrad
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 85CatGrad » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:19 am

coloradocat wrote:

The AA and A championships should be held at the location of the highest remaining seed. The team that won the most games throughout the season deserves the home-field advantage.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:43 am

I love the idea of playing the championship football games at UM and MSU. Allow the teams to come to town a 3 or 4 days early. Have the players stay in the dorms, eat dorm chow. Workout on the same facilities the Cats and Griz use. Open up the rec centers, libraries, and all student facilities to them. Assign them volunteer student guides. Give them the full high school week treatment.

Play the games at the non-hosting site, and have a big Cat-Griz viewing party for all the players, coaches, and families inside Brick Breeden or Adams. Turn this into a big UNIVERSITY recruiting weekend for both the students and parents, not just football recruiting. The logistics of setting up a smaller field for the 8 and 6 man games doesn't need to be a show stopper.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:11 am

Rich K wrote:I love the idea of playing the championship football games at UM and MSU. Allow the teams to come to town a 3 or 4 days early. Have the players stay in the dorms, eat dorm chow. Workout on the same facilities the Cats and Griz use. Open up the rec centers, libraries, and all student facilities to them. Assign them volunteer student guides. Give them the full high school week treatment.

Play the games at the non-hosting site, and have a big Cat-Griz viewing party for all the players, coaches, and families inside Brick Breeden or Adams. Turn this into a big UNIVERSITY recruiting weekend for both the students and parents, not just football recruiting. The logistics of setting up a smaller field for the 8 and 6 man games doesn't need to be a show stopper.
They might have room in the dorms at the U of Missoula but there will be not be room in the dorms at MSU!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi