New HS Stadium - Why Not Upgrade MSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

77matcat
Member # Retired

Re: New HS Stadium - Why Not Upgrade MSU

Post by 77matcat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:21 am

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MSUBRONCO
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by MSUBRONCO » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:59 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Rich K wrote:I love the idea of playing the championship football games at UM and MSU. Allow the teams to come to town a 3 or 4 days early. Have the players stay in the dorms, eat dorm chow. Workout on the same facilities the Cats and Griz use. Open up the rec centers, libraries, and all student facilities to them. Assign them volunteer student guides. Give them the full high school week treatment.

Play the games at the non-hosting site, and have a big Cat-Griz viewing party for all the players, coaches, and families inside Brick Breeden or Adams. Turn this into a big UNIVERSITY recruiting weekend for both the students and parents, not just football recruiting. The logistics of setting up a smaller field for the 8 and 6 man games doesn't need to be a show stopper.
They might have room in the dorms at the U of Missoula but there will be not be room in the dorms at MSU!
So true when I graduated in 2013 they couldn't fit everyone in the dorms I know I had a male friend living in hapner for like 3 months they were that desperate, I know got Yellowstone hall now but still not enough

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:23 pm

MSUBRONCO wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Rich K wrote:I love the idea of playing the championship football games at UM and MSU. Allow the teams to come to town a 3 or 4 days early. Have the players stay in the dorms, eat dorm chow. Workout on the same facilities the Cats and Griz use. Open up the rec centers, libraries, and all student facilities to them. Assign them volunteer student guides. Give them the full high school week treatment.

Play the games at the non-hosting site, and have a big Cat-Griz viewing party for all the players, coaches, and families inside Brick Breeden or Adams. Turn this into a big UNIVERSITY recruiting weekend for both the students and parents, not just football recruiting. The logistics of setting up a smaller field for the 8 and 6 man games doesn't need to be a show stopper.
They might have room in the dorms at the U of Missoula but there will be not be room in the dorms at MSU!
So true when I graduated in 2013 they couldn't fit everyone in the dorms I know I had a male friend living in hapner for like 3 months they were that desperate, I know got Yellowstone hall now but still not enough
When I was a high school junior I attended high school week at MSU, they stashed us in lobbies with cots in the dorms. I think there was a dozen of us in the lobby of 8th floor Hedges South. Maybe they could do something like that?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:11 pm

https://twitter.com/mappelgate206/status/937080015333629952

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:51 pm

cats2506 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:As an aside, I always thought it would be cool if the AA State Championship was held every year at the respective home stadium of Cat/Griz.

How cool would it be to take in the AA chipper on Friday AND the great divide on Saturday?!

Sorry for the derailment...
Similar but I think the AA and A championships should be at the stadium not hosting Cat-griz and B and the Cs should be in Helena.
Both of the "C"'s could be in the indoor practice faciltiy

Only if they don't mind playing on a non-regulation size field. The indoor facility is 100 yards, not 120 yards. http://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20/ ... spx?id=357
C 6 & 8 man
80 yard field w/10 yd end zones, its narrower too, but not sure how much

B plays on a regular field though I think

Sidetracking here for a bit, but back in the 1970s there was a Class C title game played in the field house. Maybe some of the other old timers here might remember it also. It was one of those incredibly early cold spells with temperatures well below zero. I think it may have been below -20. The field fit width wise but length wise was just a bit short so they compensated location of the ball on kickoffs as I recall. I don't remember what was done if a ball hit the rafters on a punt. Anyway, a faint recollection of some early years watching the game. I can't remember who played or who won. I remember thinking at the time, "you know this could have been an indoor football venue with just a bit more engineering and planning" but I don't believe many folks foresaw playing football indoors at that time, you needed to play everything outside like the Cowboys and Packers Ice Bowl game.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:05 pm

BobcatDel wrote:Sidetracking here for a bit, but back in the 1970s there was a Class C title game played in the field house. Maybe some of the other old timers here might remember it also. It was one of those incredibly early cold spells with temperatures well below zero. I think it may have been below -20. The field fit width wise but length wise was just a bit short so they compensated location of the ball on kickoffs as I recall. I don't remember what was done if a ball hit the rafters on a punt. Anyway, a faint recollection of some early years watching the game. I can't remember who played or who won. I remember thinking at the time, "you know this could have been an indoor football venue with just a bit more engineering and planning" but I don't believe many folks foresaw playing football indoors at that time, you needed to play everything outside like the Cowboys and Packers Ice Bowl game.
I'm sure there are pictures of that football game floating around somewhere. In the mean time here's a story and photo of the fieldhouse in a baseball configuration:
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 81188.html

arvcat2
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by arvcat2 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:07 pm

BobcatDel wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
WalkOn79 wrote:
coloradocat wrote:
cat_stache_fever wrote:As an aside, I always thought it would be cool if the AA State Championship was held every year at the respective home stadium of Cat/Griz.

How cool would it be to take in the AA chipper on Friday AND the great divide on Saturday?!

Sorry for the derailment...
Similar but I think the AA and A championships should be at the stadium not hosting Cat-griz and B and the Cs should be in Helena.
Both of the "C"'s could be in the indoor practice faciltiy

Only if they don't mind playing on a non-regulation size field. The indoor facility is 100 yards, not 120 yards. http://msubobcats.com/sports/2017/9/20/ ... spx?id=357
C 6 & 8 man
80 yard field w/10 yd end zones, its narrower too, but not sure how much

B plays on a regular field though I think

Sidetracking here for a bit, but back in the 1970s there was a Class C title game played in the field house. Maybe some of the other old timers here might remember it also. It was one of those incredibly early cold spells with temperatures well below zero. I think it may have been below -20. The field fit width wise but length wise was just a bit short so they compensated location of the ball on kickoffs as I recall. I don't remember what was done if a ball hit the rafters on a punt. Anyway, a faint recollection of some early years watching the game. I can't remember who played or who won. I remember thinking at the time, "you know this could have been an indoor football venue with just a bit more engineering and planning" but I don't believe many folks foresaw playing football indoors at that time, you needed to play everything outside like the Cowboys and Packers Ice Bowl game.
I was there and it was Bozeman Rosary HS versus someone. I remember Tom LeProwse, the long time Bozeman Hawk coach & ex Butte guy, claiming to have held that thought of wondering why they didn't make the Fieldhouse larger for football. After all, dirt fields were the norm for Butte :) For the young timers, the Fieldhouse or "Brick" use to be an all dirt floor.

BobcatDel

Post by BobcatDel » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:19 pm

gtapp wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:Some have said on here, but honestly Costello has the quiet phase down pat, almost like a Peter Fields type. There is no excuse for not fixing the grandstands by next year, none!! After we won in Missoula when Dmac was a freshman it was instant, in regards to starting to get donations and breaking ground on the new end zone. Of course we had to wait until after the NDSU game, but it seemed like we had a plan. With Costello, I see your videos but why hasn’t there been anything going out to boosters or the public around Bozeman. Say MSU wants to raise 2 million to tear down the old bleachers and put in new concrete and bleachers that match the end zone, I guarantee you will get that money in a hurry. Set a concrete plan not a huge plan that will take 20 years to maybe do.
1. There are many athletic projects that have to be done in all sports. Football is not always the first priority.
2. The long term plan has the East side grandstands down the list apparently.
3. The last cost I saw on just the east side grandstands was $10M.
4. Winning the Cat/griz in Missoula had little to do with the end zone project. That was all W.C.
5. We still owe money on the end zone project.
6. We don't have the type of money behind us that UM has. We do well with Academic investors. Not so much for Athletics.

Building on gtapp comments a bit.

1. The East side grandstands are down the list a bit in priority. Costello did ask for feedback on the plan at a boosters meeting from many across the state. I am sure he would accept your feedback too.
2. He did name a head for the fund raising campaign and that is Dennis Erickson, yes the former Bobcat QB.
3. They are contacting people who can possibly contribute at the 6, 7, or 8 figure level at this time. Preferably at the 7 or 8 figure level. If you are one of those, then Mr. Erickson would like to meet with you. If you know one of those folks, Mr. Erickson would like to know their name and contact number. Nobody said it, but I believe the first phase of a project like this is to build a large foundational level of commitment before going more broadly. If you don't have a that large foundation commitment you ain't gonna get to the level they need to fund it by the $1000 or $500 contributors.
4. There are people involved who have raised in the hundreds of millions for programs at the FCS level so I believe they have a pretty good idea what they are doing.
5. Costello did announce at the Bobcat Grizzly breakfast that his goal is to break ground on phase 1 by homecoming. That would be a heck of an achievement. Remember you only have conceptual architectural work now. You need to finish the architectural work, start detailed engineering, the whole contracting phase, permitting, etc. etc. etc.
6. I am sure any and all donations will be appreciated and I know they will be seeking that from many of us. I think I heard Grizzly fans could even buy a $25,000 locker in the Grizzly Champions Center so be thinking about doing that if the opportunity arises. My contribution will probably only buy a tile in the entryway but will still be appreciated.
7. What's it been.... less than two months now since the plan roll-out. You may want to know more now and wish they were sharing more info now, but a lot is working behind the scenes and I trust we will hear more as the time goes on.

Just my two cents having been through a few of these at a much smaller level on other philanthropic ventures.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 pm

BobcatDel wrote: Building on gtapp comments a bit.

1. The East side grandstands are down the list a bit in priority. Costello did ask for feedback on the plan at a boosters meeting from many across the state. I am sure he would accept your feedback too.
2. He did name a head for the fund raising campaign and that is Dennis Erickson, yes the former Bobcat QB.
3. They are contacting people who can possibly contribute at the 6, 7, or 8 figure level at this time. Preferably at the 7 or 8 figure level. If you are one of those, then Mr. Erickson would like to meet with you. If you know one of those folks, Mr. Erickson would like to know their name and contact number. Nobody said it, but I believe the first phase of a project like this is to build a large foundational level of commitment before going more broadly. If you don't have a that large foundation commitment you ain't gonna get to the level they need to fund it by the $1000 or $500 contributors.
4. There are people involved who have raised in the hundreds of millions for programs at the FCS level so I believe they have a pretty good idea what they are doing.
5. Costello did announce at the Bobcat Grizzly breakfast that his goal is to break ground on phase 1 by homecoming. That would be a heck of an achievement. Remember you only have conceptual architectural work now. You need to finish the architectural work, start detailed engineering, the whole contracting phase, permitting, etc. etc. etc.
6. I am sure any and all donations will be appreciated and I know they will be seeking that from many of us. I think I heard Grizzly fans could even buy a $25,000 locker in the Grizzly Champions Center so be thinking about doing that if the opportunity arises. My contribution will probably only buy a tile in the entryway but will still be appreciated.
7. What's it been.... less than two months now since the plan roll-out. You may want to know more now and wish they were sharing more info now, but a lot is working behind the scenes and I trust we will hear more as the time goes on.

Just my two cents having been through a few of these at a much smaller level on other philanthropic ventures.
Great info, thanks for posting. I am a 7 or 8 figure donor only in the sense that I could donate a figure containing the number 7 or 8, so I guess I won't be hearing from Coach Erickson anytime soon!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:59 pm

I contacted the athletic department about a donation and they weren’t able to answer my questions about where to send the check, so I mailed it to Cruzado. She gets things done.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Post by coloradocat » Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:16 pm

MSU01 wrote: Great info, thanks for posting. I am a 7 or 8 figure donor only in the sense that I could donate a figure containing the number 7 or 8, so I guess I won't be hearing from Coach Erickson anytime soon!
:lol:

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:59 pm

Just resurrecting this thread to give everyone some information on the facilities plan.

I had coffee today with Stacey Radke, the Director of Development at the MSU Alumni foundation. Stacey is working on securing donations and pledges for the MSU facilities plan. Stacey told me that she would love to have any donation or pledge of any amount now. MSU is not solely waiting or relying on large benefactors to fund the facilities improvements or to get the project started. MSU is working with anyone that would like to donate or pledge now.

If you would like to set up a pledge or donation, here is her contact information.

Stacy Radke
E-mail - stacy.radke@msuaf.org
Phone - 406-994-2092
Mail - P.O. Box 172750, Bozeman, MT 59717-2750

Oh, she will be looking into adding a button to the donation page https://www.msuaf.org/s/1584/form1.aspx ... &pgid=1356 specifically for the facilities plan.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks for the information. We have a plan. Making it happen is up to each of us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:44 am

I would think they would actually put together a formal donation program for the project with an official announcement in the media, like they did with the SEZ project. With that project, we all heard about it, knew what it was specifically for as well as where to send the donations. I don't think posting a link on Bobcat Nation is going to get it off the ground. Just my opinion.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:20 am

Mtcatfan wrote:I would think they would actually put together a formal donation program for the project with an official announcement in the media, like they did with the SEZ project. With that project, we all heard about it, knew what it was specifically for as well as where to send the donations. I don't think posting a link on Bobcat Nation is going to get it off the ground. Just my opinion.
I'm not seeing any disparities in the amount of media for each campaign.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:24 am

Bozeman High School will get a new sports stadium.

School Board trustees voted 7-0 Monday night to approve the schematic design for a new sports stadium costing roughly $7 million, to be built north of Van Winkle Stadium.
https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/n ... c12da.html

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:56 am

I was referring to the MSU Facilities Plan rather than the High School project. I believe I actually received a donation request in the mail for the SEZ, which leads me to believe they sent it out to all alumni. They may want to consider the same for this project. If I wasn't on Bobcat Nation I wouldn't know a thing about MSU requesting donations for this project.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:05 am

Mtcatfan wrote:I was referring to the MSU Facilities Plan rather than the High School project. I believe I actually received a donation request in the mail for the SEZ, which leads me to believe they sent it out to all alumni. They may want to consider the same for this project. If I wasn't on Bobcat Nation I wouldn't know a thing about MSU requesting donations for this project.
Sorry to hear that. But it has videos and summaries of each phase on the MSU athletics page along with all social media,newspapers, and TV.
I was just posting the link to the high school stadium because of the first question raised in this thread.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:47 pm

I didn't want to start a new thread because this has been hashed and rehashed. I am just wondering if we can expect something like U of I did. $10 million from one donor.

ICCU Supports Arena with Naming Rights Agreement

The new basketball arena being built on the University of Idaho’s Moscow campus will be called the Idaho Central Credit Union (ICCU) Arena, thanks to a $10 million, 35-year naming rights agreement. The 62,000-square-foot, 4,200-seat arena will be a one-of-a-kind engineered wood structure, highlighting Idaho’s wood products industry and providing a unique home for U of I’s basketball programs as well as other activities. The $45 million project already has financial support from the Associated Students of the University of Idaho, the U of I Alumni Association, the U of I Foundation, and others. Fundraising will continue through the next year, with a 2019 target construction start date and 2021 opening.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:22 pm

4200 seats? Guess they aren't planning on playing Cat/Griz there.