2017 All-Big Sky

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: 2017 All-Big Sky

Post by The MICKSTER » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:00 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Have to disagree with you about Troy. It is unusual for anyone at the Division 1 level to be able to contribute to a team on both sides of the ball, let alone a true freshman. Athletes like that don't come around very often. He is an extremely special player that is deserving of the award. I don't think he will get the National Award though because since he split time on the O & D (oh, and ST by the way), those numbers don't really jump out at you unless you look at them collectively, which I suspect most 'voter's won't. I hope I'm wrong.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with all that you have said and he is completely deserving of the award. But compare his situation to what Gresch was thrown into and how well Gresch produced....I felt Jensen was more deserving.
Do you know if the criteria for voting takes into account whether a player is a True freshman or a Redshirt freshman? For example, until mid October last year (when Chris won it) Chris was only 17, he didn't turn 19 until ~ a month ago. Troy I believe is still 18 (I think). Where GJ had been in a collegiate FB program for a year+ before he played and may already be 19.
Redshirt Freshman or True Freshman...doesn't matter.
I suspected that was the case. However I do think there is a significant difference. GJ had 2 fall camps, a spring camp, plus a redshirt year+, with all the weight training, meetings, and coaching that come along with that, to help prepare for his initial chance to contribute. Where both Chris & Troy just had just one fall camp before they were put on the field.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:17 pm

Jensen was not as good as Andersen. That’s just my opinion. The eye test beats the stat test over the season for me in this case. Jensen gets 50 pass attempts a game against lackluster defenses and puts up big numbers. Yet when facing good defenses he sputters.

Biggest game of the year and he fumbles and gets picked off, while Andersen rolls for two scores and gets 6.4 per carry. In that case Andersen won the eye test and the stat test. Jensen’s qb rating was a sub-par 119.8.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:28 pm

iaafan wrote:Jensen was not as good as Andersen. That’s just my opinion. The eye test beats the stat test over the season for me in this case. Jensen gets 50 pass attempts a game against lackluster defenses and puts up big numbers. Yet when facing good defenses he sputters.

Biggest game of the year and he fumbles and gets picked off, while Andersen rolls for two scores and gets 6.4 per carry. In that case Andersen won the eye test and the stat test. Jensen’s qb rating was a sub-par 119.8.
I totally agree. Anderson is a beast and I think the Big Sky coaches know that! :)

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:32 pm

It’s pretty cool that we have the freshman of the year two years in a row in both football and men’s basketball. Lots of young talent in Bozeman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:47 pm

mslacatfan wrote:Is it possible for the voters to choose/vote for Chris Murray as a RB???

I honestly think he deserved to be voted in as 1st or 2nd team All Big Sky RB...... who cares that he plays QB, he was like top 10 in the country for Rushing yards....
#8 rushing offense in the country and #1 in the BSC by a long stretch. And only one O-lineman & no RBs on the first 3 teams

I know Santiago was a stud for his first two seasons, but he averaged 60 yards/game & 5 total TDs. Chris Murray average the same YPC as Santiago, but I'm pretty sure all of Murray's sacks counted as negative rush yards.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:57 pm

onceacat wrote:
mslacatfan wrote:Is it possible for the voters to choose/vote for Chris Murray as a RB???

I honestly think he deserved to be voted in as 1st or 2nd team All Big Sky RB...... who cares that he plays QB, he was like top 10 in the country for Rushing yards....
#8 rushing offense in the country and #1 in the BSC by a long stretch. And only one O-lineman & no RBs on the first 3 teams

I know Santiago was a stud for his first two seasons, but he averaged 60 yards/game & 5 total TDs. Chris Murray average the same YPC as Santiago, but I'm pretty sure all of Murray's sacks counted as negative rush yards.

Yeah, Santiago has a monster reputation from previous years and I'm sure that helps. Santiago also racked up some significant yards on KO and Punt returns. I still don't think he should be a first teamer, but oh well.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:25 pm

onceacat wrote:

MSU gave up the least amount of sacks. Murray netted over 1,000 rushing yards.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:50 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Hard to give up sacks when you drop back as rarely as we do. :lol: Thats why Poly gave up 2nd fewest sacks. But still, 13 sacks against Murray for -58 yards. When you take those sacks out, Murray averaged 6.5 yards per carry-a full half yard more than Santiago.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:58 pm

onceacat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
onceacat wrote:

Hard to give up sacks when you drop back as rarely as we do. :lol: Thats why Poly gave up 2nd fewest sacks. But still, 13 sacks against Murray for -58 yards. When you take those sacks out, Murray averaged 6.5 yards per carry-a full half yard more than Santiago.
No doubt. Yeah our run game was a force.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

FTG247365
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by FTG247365 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:23 pm

The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
The MICKSTER wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Have to disagree with you about Troy. It is unusual for anyone at the Division 1 level to be able to contribute to a team on both sides of the ball, let alone a true freshman. Athletes like that don't come around very often. He is an extremely special player that is deserving of the award. I don't think he will get the National Award though because since he split time on the O & D (oh, and ST by the way), those numbers don't really jump out at you unless you look at them collectively, which I suspect most 'voter's won't. I hope I'm wrong.
Agree 100%, an * next to Freshman, indicating True Freshman, should be added. I was impressed with Anderson all year, playing high school to getting the Big Sky Conf. Freshman* of the Year Honors, can't wait to see him play the next 3 years.
Don't get me wrong, I completely agree with all that you have said and he is completely deserving of the award. But compare his situation to what Gresch was thrown into and how well Gresch produced....I felt Jensen was more deserving.
Do you know if the criteria for voting takes into account whether a player is a True freshman or a Redshirt freshman? For example, until mid October last year (when Chris won it) Chris was only 17, he didn't turn 19 until ~ a month ago. Troy I believe is still 18 (I think). Where GJ had been in a collegiate FB program for a year+ before he played and may already be 19.
Redshirt Freshman or True Freshman...doesn't matter.
I suspected that was the case. However I do think there is a significant difference. GJ had 2 fall camps, a spring camp, plus a redshirt year+, with all the weight training, meetings, and coaching that come along with that, to help prepare for his initial chance to contribute. Where both Chris & Troy just had just one fall camp before they were put on the field.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:33 am

iaafan wrote:Jensen was not as good as Andersen. That’s just my opinion. The eye test beats the stat test over the season for me in this case. Jensen gets 50 pass attempts a game against lackluster defenses and puts up big numbers. Yet when facing good defenses he sputters.

Hey GJ had the longest (fumble I am pretty sure)

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:48 am

LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:Congrats to all!!

And Padmos definitely got shafted...
I mean...it was close.

1st-Team selection Jordan Dascalo - 47 punts for 2002 yards; long of 67; 42.6 average
2nd-Team selection Jered Padmos - 39 punts for 1659 yards; long of 70; 42.5 average

Would like to know who had more pins inside the 20.
Ya, closer than I would've thought. Both good punters--I agree, seeing pins would be helpful.
Those are the "gross" averages...correct? What were their net averages? That's a far better indicator of the actual effectiveness of a punter. Padmos hardly ever allowed one to be returned so I have to believe that his net average was probably significantly better than Dascalo. Net average should be the metric used for ranking punters in the official stats. I mean seriously, we must have given up very few punt return yards for the entire season. I can hardly remember any of his punts being returned.

msufaithful
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msufaithful » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:27 am

John K wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I mean...it was close.

1st-Team selection Jordan Dascalo - 47 punts for 2002 yards; long of 67; 42.6 average
2nd-Team selection Jered Padmos - 39 punts for 1659 yards; long of 70; 42.5 average

Ya, closer than I would've thought. Both good punters--I agree, seeing pins would be helpful.
Those are the "gross" averages...correct? What were their net averages? That's a far better indicator of the actual effectiveness of a punter. Padmos hardly ever allowed one to be returned so I have to believe that his net average was probably significantly better than Dascalo. Net average should be the metric used for ranking punters in the official stats. I mean seriously, we must have given up very few punt return yards for the entire season. I can hardly remember any of his punts being returned.
Jered Padmos net 39.0
Jordan Dascalo net 38.2

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:31 am

msufaithful wrote:
John K wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I mean...it was close.

Jered Padmos net 39.0
Jordan Dascalo net 38.2
Thanks. So Padmos did have a slightly higher net average, but honestly I thought he'd probably have an eve larger edge than that.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 am

John K wrote:
msufaithful wrote:
John K wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I mean...it was close.

Jered Padmos net 39.0
Jordan Dascalo net 38.2
Thanks. So Padmos did have a slightly higher net average, but honestly I thought he'd probably have an eve larger edge than that.
I now want to see a "pins inside the 20" comparison. If Jered had more...he got shafted.

msufaithful
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by msufaithful » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:01 am

VimSince03 wrote:
John K wrote:
msufaithful wrote:
John K wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I mean...it was close.

Jered Padmos net 39.0
Jordan Dascalo net 38.2
I now want to see a "pins inside the 20" comparison. If Jered had more...he got shafted.
Dascalo 47 punts / 16 inside the 20 34% of his punts
Padmos 39 punts / 14 inside the 20 36% of his punts

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:08 am

msufaithful wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
John K wrote:
msufaithful wrote:
John K wrote:
LTown Cat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:

I mean...it was close.

Jered Padmos net 39.0
Jordan Dascalo net 38.2
Dascalo 47 punts / 16 inside the 20 34% of his punts
Padmos 39 punts / 14 inside the 20 36% of his punts
Wow, they are about as close to each other as you can be, in all three of those categories. I'd give the nod to Padmos, since he had a slight edge in two of the three, and again, in my opinion net average is really the most meaningful of all those statistical categories, and he had a slight edge in that one. But they are so close that you can't really get too butt hurt about Dascalo getting first team ahead of Padmos.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:45 am

mslacatfan wrote:
Rich K wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:Freshman of the year 2 years running! Padmos got shafted.
Freshmen of the year 2 years running in football AND in men's basketball :)

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Yes, that's impressive! =D^ =D^

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz