Final BSC Team Statistics

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Final BSC Team Statistics

Post by gtapp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:08 pm

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Re: Final BSC Team Statistics

Post by gtapp » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:14 pm

I had predicted the rushing defense to finish 3rd/ they finished 5th.
I had predicted the passing defense to finish near the bottom/ they were 12 out of 13

The rushing defense was surprising. I think the K-state game hurt the overall number a bit.

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:31 pm

Scoring Defense - 2nd
Total Defense - 3rd
Rushing Defense - 5th
Pass Defense - 5th
Pass Defense Efficiency - 5th
Interceptions - 13th
Sacks - 11th
Opponent 1st Downs - 10th
Opponent 3rd Down Conv. - 12th
Opponent 4th Down Conv. - 8th
Red Zone Defense - 7th

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

grizband
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by grizband » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks for posting, Gtapp. I always like reviewing the end of season statistics, although I wish they only included Big Sky conference games. This allows more relative comparisons, especially since it eliminates inflated stats against lesser competition, and deflated stats against FBS (especially Power 5 conference) schools.

grizband

Post by grizband » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:56 pm

grizband wrote:Thanks for posting, Gtapp. I always like reviewing the end of season statistics, although I wish they only included Big Sky conference games. This allows more relative comparisons, especially since it eliminates inflated stats against lesser competition, and deflated stats against FBS (especially Power 5 conference) schools.
Nevermind, found what I was looking for.

http://static.bigskyconf.com/custompage ... nfonly.htm

grizband

Post by grizband » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:59 pm

gtapp wrote:I had predicted the rushing defense to finish 3rd/ they finished 5th.
I had predicted the passing defense to finish near the bottom/ they were 12 out of 13

The rushing defense was surprising. I think the K-state game hurt the overall number a bit.
Cats actually did finish 3rd in rushing defense when only conference games are included.
They also finished 4th in pass defense for only conference games.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:33 pm

As Choate, and many others, say statistics are for losers. The only stat the matters is the score. 2nd in scoring defense tells me we were very good this year but that there is room for improvement.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:56 pm

grizband wrote:Thanks for posting, Gtapp. I always like reviewing the end of season statistics, although I wish they only included Big Sky conference games. This allows more relative comparisons, especially since it eliminates inflated stats against lesser competition, and deflated stats against FBS (especially Power 5 conference) schools.
Why don’t you take season totals and then back out the OOC statistics? That’s what i would do.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:58 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:As Choate, and many others, say statistics are for losers. The only stat the matters is the score. 2nd in scoring defense tells me we were very good this year but that there is room for improvement.
I don’t think he really believes that. I think he’s trying to differentiate between obsessing over stats versus using them as a tool for improvement.

grizband

Post by grizband » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:00 pm

Cledus wrote:
Why don’t you take season totals and then back out the OOC statistics? That’s what i would do.
Conference posted big sky only stats. Otherwise, I probably would have done what yoh suggested.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:10 pm

grizband wrote:
Cledus wrote:
Conference posted big sky only stats. Otherwise, I probably would have done what yoh suggested.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
Every team has their own page with links for each game's stats. Here is MSU's. Pull open the stats for each game you do not want to see in the totals and subtract that from the total in the link gtapp provided.

I could do MSU alone in less than 15 minutes. Ostensibly you're talking about the entire conference. I'm guessing it might take a couple hours if you're ambitious. I'm not, but if you are have at it.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:16 pm

gtapp wrote:I had predicted the rushing defense to finish 3rd/ they finished 5th.

How many teams scored more than they averaged vs MSU? I think only NAU.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm

TomCat88 wrote:

How many teams scored more than they averaged vs MSU? I think only NAU.
Important context. Total yards don't tell you nearly as much as yards/rush or yards/pass. Our offense took a lot of time off the clock. The only two stats that really matter are points/drive on the offense and points allowed/drive on D.

Points scored/points allowed are heavily influenced by team strategy.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:08 am

One big improvement was Turn Over Ratio we went from - 7 last year to 0 this year ,and should we go to + 7 next year
We win many of the close games .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play