Observations from the Cat/Griz game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Observations from the Cat/Griz game

Post by Lovethecats75 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:54 pm

One thing most fans didn't know was going on close to the end of the game. Image

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:19 pm

Augustus wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Cat_gld wrote:
Stick it in your arse sideways you f___ing troll!!
Jeezus man, who pissed in your Wheaties?

What did I say that could possibly be construed as trolling? Constructive criticism perhaps, but trolling? Grow the hell up.
You know exactly what I'm talking about. Why don't you go bench yourself!
Oh, I see. So, you are in favor of thugs taking a knee during the National Anthem?

I guess my original impression of you was right on the money.
Thugs? Okay, our players are never out for the anthem. Keep your politics to yourself.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:35 pm

Lovethecats75 wrote:One thing most fans didn't know was going on close to the end of the game. Image

POTY! I just Stitt myself.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:03 pm

Augustus wrote:
kcatz wrote: Moving forward no MSU players are allowed out of the block house.
Why?
Because people like you will call two upstanding young men on our team "thugs". Doesn't matter what you think of the issue over taking a knee, you drew a pretty clear line in the sand right there. One of those guys has a brother in the military, so you would be well served to leave the rest of that issue in silence.

You don't get to speak for our men and women in uniform. Stick to football.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:11 pm

Lovethecats75 wrote:One thing most fans didn't know was going on close to the end of the game. Image

I can’t even....

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji22][emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:22 pm

onceacat wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Why?
Because people like you will call two upstanding young men on our team "thugs". Doesn't matter what you think of the issue over taking a knee, you drew a pretty clear line in the sand right there. One of those guys has a brother in the military, so you would be well served to leave the rest of that issue in silence.

You don't get to speak for our men and women in uniform. Stick to football.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:41 pm

Augustus wrote:
technoCat wrote:
4th - the ball has to cross the line. Doesn't matter where the player is in college.
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it the same if they are out of bounds?
It is not the same with being out of bounds. If you touch out and touch the ball its out.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Augustus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Augustus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:18 am

onceacat wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Why?
Because people like you will call two upstanding young men on our team "thugs".
Upstanding young men? :roll: If your definition of upstanding young man includes showing an utter lack of respect for a nation that has given these kids everything and those in uniform who protect that, then clearly you, and they, are the epitome of exactly what is wrong nowadays. You may be willing to give these kids a pass on their behavior simply because they play a game and happen to be on our team, but I'm not.
Doesn't matter what you think of the issue over taking a knee, you drew a pretty clear line in the sand right there.
Intentionally. I call them like I see them.
One of those guys has a brother in the military,

Good for him, then he should know better.
You don't get to speak for our men and women in uniform.
Having worn that uniform for four years, yes...I do. You?

Both on and off the field, there is acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior. Part of the coaches job is to teach these kids that. Teach them about football? Yes, but also to teach them about life.

Mods: My apologies if this thread went off on a tangent due to an observation that troubled me. Just wanted to share some good (and not so good) thoughts that I had about attending my first Cat/Griz game in 33 years. It was great to spend a weekend in Bozeman again and to walk through campus. It has all changed so much (too much IMO, but I'm not big on change), but all of the memories from 40 years ago are still there.
Last edited by Augustus on Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Augustus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Augustus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:21 am

technoCat wrote:
Augustus wrote:
technoCat wrote:
4th - the ball has to cross the line. Doesn't matter where the player is in college.
I wasn't aware of that. Thanks for clarifying.

Is it the same if they are out of bounds?
It is not the same with being out of bounds. If you touch out and touch the ball its out.
Thanks.

Augustus
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Augustus » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:48 am

dual post

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:27 am

Augustus wrote:Just got home from a wonderful weekend in Bozeman. Got to see some old friends, visit with family, AND see the Cats wipe up the field with grizzlies (which is always a good thing).

My last attendance at a Cat/Griz game was the '84 season when we kicked their a**es is Missoula.

A couple of things I noticed though:

First, the entrance of the horses carrying the Bobcats flags before the game was AWESOME. Just warmed my heart.

Second, the C130 flyover was cool, but I was surprised (and somewhat disappointed) that they couldn't find any fighters to do a pass. Yeah, I know that Malmstrom's F15s were replaced, but still...it would have been better, although having a MANG contingent do it is meaningful as well.

Third, I was surprised that none of the players were on the field for the National Anthem. This surprised, and disappointed, me greatly. One of the guys I went with mentioned that some of our players "took a knee" earlier in the season and that this is probably why the coaches chose to not have them be on the field. I have a couple of thoughts on this that may or may not be popular. If true, that some of our players took a knee, Choate should have benched them immediately. I am incredibly disappointed that any kid in our program would do such a thing and that that behavior is tacitly supported. The solution is NOT to prevent the remainder of the team from paying respects, but to discipline those thugs who chose to not respect this nation.

Fourth, there were some bad calls for (the downing of the punt at the 1 yard line when our guy was standing in the end zone) and against (targeting) us. Generally, though, it was about the fairest called game of the season IMO.

Fifth, the Griz fans next to me were great guys and very respectful. Congratulating on our scores and vice-versa. We even wished each other a safe trip home. These were stand-up folks and it would be wonderful if all Griz fans were of the same caliber. We're all Montanans after all.

Sixth, I forgot how freakin' cold it gets in that stadium.

Seventh, why in God's name, on 3rd and 14, do you run a quarterback keeper right up the middle? Gawd I hope we get a better person calling plays next year.
All good points, Augustus, and a nice summary. Glad to have you back at Cat-Frizz. We also had a well-behaved UM fan in front of us, I can't say I would have been as well-behaved if things had gone south. Speaking of calls, i watched the game replay Sunday and on the final play Thomas got there just a H-A-I-R early - had his hand on Curran's right arm when the ball was maybe 6" away. I call it a good play as I hate ticky-tacky PI's.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:03 am

Augustus wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Why?
Upstanding young men? :roll: If your definition of upstanding young man includes showing an utter lack of respect for a nation that has given these kids everything and those in uniform who protect that, then clearly you, and they, are the epitome of exactly what is wrong nowadays. You may be willing to give these kids a pass on their behavior simply because they play a game and happen to be on our team, but I'm not.
Doesn't matter what you think of the issue over taking a knee, you drew a pretty clear line in the sand right there.

Both on and off the field, there is acceptable behavior and unacceptable behavior. Part of the coaches job is to teach these kids that. Teach them about football? Yes, but also to teach them about life.

Mods: My apologies if this thread went off on a tangent due to an observation that troubled me. Just wanted to share some good (and not so good) thoughts that I had about attending my first Cat/Griz game in 33 years. It was great to spend a weekend in Bozeman again and to walk through campus. It has all changed so much (too much IMO, but I'm not big on change), but all of the memories from 40 years ago are still there.

That's pretty ballsy to believe you speak for all Veterans after having served for a whole four years. I served for thirty years (all active) buddy and you don't speak for me or any other Veteran. You only speak for yourself. You are entitled to your opinion. I think it's an ill informed and ridiculous opinion though.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:30 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:This. If anything was questionable about play calling, it was throwing on 3rd and 6 with just over 2 minutes to go in the 4th quarter when the Griz had just 1 TO left and we have a QB who isn't always the most accurate. Granted, Herbert probably should have caught it, but why pass right there? Can't believe nobody has brought that up yet.
I like having a coach who plays to win. The reason to throw on 3rd and 6 is because it's 3rd and 6. Get a first down, keep the ball, you win for sure.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:48 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Augustus wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Why?

That's pretty ballsy to believe you speak for all Veterans after having served for a whole four years. I served for thirty years (all active) buddy and you don't speak for me or any other Veteran. You only speak for yourself. You are entitled to your opinion. I think it's an ill informed and ridiculous opinion though.
I would never presume to speak for any other person-in the military or out. On the football field, or not. You are certainly entitled to your ideology. But, calling it like I see it, you are completely out of bounds to call a couple of great kids "thugs." I think the "thugs" are those who would use their position of authority, real or imagined, to control the 1st Amendment rights of people with whom they disagree.

With all due respect for your service, its "thugs" like you, with no respect for the law of the land, that have compelled us to maintain civilian control over the military.

This isn't North Korea, sir, where patriotism is enforced with the power of the state.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Augustus wrote:
onceacat wrote:
Augustus wrote:
Why?

I only spent 23 years as a by product of the MSU ROTC Detachment. Isn't it great we in the United States can discuss this and not get drug out of our homes and executed in public because we differ in opinions?

I recall very vividly Peter Norman in 68 wearing an Olympic Project for Human Rights badge while Tommie Smith and John Carlos raised their clenched fists with a black glove on it and the Wyoming coach kicking the Wyoming Black 14 off his team for refusing to play a bigoted, racist psuedo college that didn't allow any of their race into their "church" let alone their college.

I personally appreciate we can have meaningful, civil dialogue in this country and not have to worry about being blackballed (see what I did there Kaep?) or worse.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:22 am

onceacat wrote:I would never presume to speak for any other person-in the military or out. On the football field, or not. You are certainly entitled to your ideology. But, calling it like I see it, you are completely out of bounds to call a couple of great kids "thugs." I think the "thugs" are those who would use their position of authority, real or imagined, to control the 1st Amendment rights of people with whom they disagree.

With all due respect for your service, its "thugs" like you, with no respect for the law of the land, that have compelled us to maintain civilian control over the military.

This isn't North Korea, sir, where patriotism is enforced with the power of the state.
And here I thought a thug was a violent person.

A peaceful protester is not a thug. Augustus isn't a thug either. He's just a person with a terrible, terrible opinion that we disagree with. :lol:

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

5yearfreshman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 5yearfreshman » Thu Nov 23, 2017 9:34 am

MAFB has not had any fighters stationed on base for at least 40+ years and the Montana Air National Guard lost the F-15 around 2011. I'm sure we will not be blessed with another fighter jet fly over for sometime. C-130 was very cool and way better than nothing. Very thankful today for their service to Montana and our Country.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:41 pm

5yearfreshman wrote:MAFB has not had any fighters stationed on base for at least 40+ years and the Montana Air National Guard lost the F-15 around 2011. I'm sure we will not be blessed with another fighter jet fly over for sometime. C-130 was very cool and way better than nothing. Very thankful today for their service to Montana and our Country.
Let's get a squadron of C-130's next time :)

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Nov 24, 2017 4:58 pm

WalkOn79 wrote:
5yearfreshman wrote:MAFB has not had any fighters stationed on base for at least 40+ years and the Montana Air National Guard lost the F-15 around 2011. I'm sure we will not be blessed with another fighter jet fly over for sometime. C-130 was very cool and way better than nothing. Very thankful today for their service to Montana and our Country.
Let's get a squadron of C-130's next time :)

If you want something cool looking, then go with some Army Guard helicopters. Helicopters could fly a tighter formation than C-130s.

allcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by allcat » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:20 pm

I actually liked the c-130 better than when they brought the fighters. The fighters are too fast.

Geezer. Part Bionic,. Part Iconic