stitt is gone!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: stitt is gone!

Post by 95bcfb » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:48 pm

I can't believe that anyone would actually think that Hauk would get re-hired. That would be like re-hiring Kramer. I think that Hauk was a great coach just like Kramer was but if you don't think that they are responsible for creating the culture that became the breeding ground (no pun intended) for the blackest period of both school's history then you are crazy. Why would anyone want to return to that even if it did lead to wins temporarily. Hauk in my mind is partially - if not directly responsible for creating a culture that lead to the collapse of one of one of the greatest football programs in the FCS - and that is coming from a die hard cat fan. There is no way even the griz are that dumb. I seem to remember everyone calling for the return of Hauk during their last hiring process and it never came about. There were also rumors of EWU coach being the next guy. I don't know who the coach will be but I will be really shocked if it is Hauk. That would be a hire that I wouldn't even wish on a Griz fan.

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:05 pm

95bcfb wrote:I can't believe that anyone would actually think that Hauk would get re-hired. That would be like re-hiring Kramer. I think that Hauk was a great coach just like Kramer was but if you don't think that they are responsible for creating the culture that became the breeding ground (no pun intended) for the blackest period of both school's history then you are crazy. Why would anyone want to return to that even if it did lead to wins temporarily. Hauk in my mind is partially - if not directly responsible for creating a culture that lead to the collapse of one of one of the greatest football programs in the FCS - and that is coming from a die hard cat fan. There is no way even the griz are that dumb. I seem to remember everyone calling for the return of Hauk during their last hiring process and it never came about. There were also rumors of EWU coach being the next guy. I don't know who the coach will be but I will be really shocked if it is Hauk. That would be a hire that I wouldn't even wish on a Griz fan.
When you're addicted to bad things you will do some really dumb things, even things that destroy what you love most. That describes at least some Griz fans.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 pm

PDXGriz wrote:Ok, this has all been very progressive and good.

But Kramer inhereted an ABSOLUTE DISASTER from Cliff Hysell and Earle Solomonson. You guys couldn't fill the stadium. You had students throwing trash at the MSU bench during the `99 Brawl.

The Big Human brought you back to relevance in 2-3 years, after he'd done the same thing at Eastern - before they had anyone providing facilities and when honestly they were close to being dropped to DII.

Kramer was more proven than Choate at least right now.

What am I doing here i need to go to bed.
Your whole post is filled with inaccuracies... Kramer inherited a team that barely lost to the griz in 1998 in Missoula that would have given the Cats the conference title. The next year (Hysell's last) was a down year, but still 4-7 with a number of all-conference players Kramer would inherit including NFL drafted J.T. Taylor and MSU hall of famer Ryan Johnson two name a few. Kramer gutted the team in 2000. There were more new players than returners from the 1999 season. If you have that many new players you are going to have a difficult time winning games; thus the 0-11 season. It is notable that among the best players on the 2002 team that changed the tide of MSU football had several of Hysell's players that include Johnson, Cordeiro, Montoya, Swaggert, Quast, Carahasen, Turnquist, Smith, Jacobson, and Hackett (those are the ones I can remember). After all said and done Kramer posted a 40–43–0 to Hysell's 41-47.
Additionally, the Cats had a $12 million renovation completed in 1998 to the football stadium…

Macneil4023
New Recruit

Post by Macneil4023 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:09 pm

This may have been mentioned already on this board, but any chance Rob Ash would be interested in this position at UM?

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:46 pm

Macneil4023 wrote:This may have been mentioned already on this board, but any chance Rob Ash would be interested in this position at UM?
:lol: :lol: :lol: now that is downright funny. There is no chance the griz are interested in him!

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

WeedKillinCat
Member # Retired

Post by WeedKillinCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:52 pm

Macneil4023 wrote:This may have been mentioned already on this board, but any chance Rob Ash would be interested in this position at UM?
He might be interested but I highly doubt the u of m would be. They saw some similarities of Ash's last few years with Stitt's last 2 in zoo town. Thus the Stitt show is over

1993 Agronomy
If You Want To Get To Heaven-----You Gotta Raise A Little Hell

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:52 pm

CelticCat wrote:I find it absolutely hilarious how bad some Griz fans want Hauck back. The guy was practically ran out of town, because he couldn't win the big game.

Now the Griz haven't really come close to that sustained level of success and they are realizing what a mistake they made.
It's not necessarily Hauck they want back, it's their history they want back. They are hoping that hiring a coach from their glory days will bring back their glory days. Not sure it'll be that easy but... I guess we'll find out!

Personally, I'm looking forward to a Hauck type coach at um. I'm getting tired of beating their asses in the Brawl every year and hope they hire somebody who can give us some competition in that game.

:coffee:

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:22 pm

91catAlum wrote:
CelticCat wrote:I find it absolutely hilarious how bad some Griz fans want Hauck back. The guy was practically ran out of town, because he couldn't win the big game.

Now the Griz haven't really come close to that sustained level of success and they are realizing what a mistake they made.
It's not necessarily Hauck they want back, it's their history they want back. They are hoping that hiring a coach from their glory days will bring back their glory days. Not sure it'll be that easy but... I guess we'll find out!

Personally, I'm looking forward to a Hauck type coach at um. I'm getting tired of beating their asses in the Brawl every year and hope they hire somebody who can give us some competition in that game.

I think that while there seem to be a lot of people that wants Hauck back, most of us just want someone that isn’t learning on the job. Which is kind of what I felt Stitt and most certainly Semore, were doing.

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 pm

CatBlitz wrote:

Yeah I find this baffling. I'd be curious if he's even able to do the same with this team he'd be inheriting.

I'm sorry Blitz but you are misremembering the situation. Alpha was the ring leader of a tiny band on eGriz calling for canning "Big Game Bobby". It was this tiny but VERY VOCAL MINORITY calling for his head.

No doubt the guy was either loved or hated for his prickly personality. Yet the vast majority of Griz fans rather enjoyed being conference champs each year, and playing in 3 national championships during Hauck's 7 year run. There was no uproar to get rid of him. He left when he chose to and tripled his salary in the process. No telling if UM will rehire him. Nor, no telling if he could step in and replicate what he did before. Yet most fans would welcome him back if they hire him. Of course Alpha will just renew his bitching because that is just what Alpha does.

turkey_johnson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by turkey_johnson » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:27 pm

I have trouble thinking that BH would want to come back. He has a great gig at SDSU. He is one of the greatest griz coaches ever and led them through one of their most prosperous times. Wouldn't he rather leave his legacy in place and not risk tarnishing it? That's all on top of a huge pay cut. The BSC, the grizzly football team and UM are all very different than when he left and it could be difficult for him to replicate the success that would be expected.

MSU COE '09

Bobcat Club Member

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:15 pm

91catAlum wrote:

I'm not a griz fan by any measure, but that football program is resilient. If they can survive and even prosper after all the scandals, loss of scholarships, and general upheaval that has gone over there, I'm sure they will survive and do well again. I'm not sure any other program in the Big Sky could have done the same thing they have and continue to win, albeit, with not too difficult schedules. The Cats have beat them the past two years, but I'd wouldn't say those games weren't competitive. I don't think the griz will be back to the glory days any time soon though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:28 pm

turkey_johnson wrote:I have trouble thinking that BH would want to come back. He has a great gig at SDSU. He is one of the greatest griz coaches ever and led them through one of their most prosperous times. Wouldn't he rather leave his legacy in place and not risk tarnishing it? That's all on top of a huge pay cut. The BSC, the grizzly football team and UM are all very different than when he left and it could be difficult for him to replicate the success that would be expected.
Some chance he wants to come back to MT, family, etc. As to his legacy, do you really think Bobby Hack’s ego would even consider he would not do it all again?

I have a rather low opinion of um any way, but my opinion will go down to a new low if Hack is hired. The entire rape culture was due to his recruits and how he swept things under the rug for many years. If um stoops to that again just to win a few more football games it will be a travesty for the State of MT university system.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:30 pm

AFCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I'm not a griz fan by any measure, but that football program is resilient. If they can survive and even prosper after all the scandals, loss of scholarships, and general upheaval that has gone over there, I'm sure they will survive and do well again. I'm not sure any other program in the Big Sky could have done the same thing they have and continue to win, albeit, with not too difficult schedules. The Cats have beat them the past two years, but I'd wouldn't say those games weren't competitive. I don't think the griz will be back to the glory days any time soon though.
I was just being a smart ass in the second paragraph.

It is a resilient program for sure, and I'm sure they'll get their share of wins in the future. But in the current decade, they've missed the playoffs more years than they've made it, and they have 0 conference championships.

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:12 pm

cats2506 wrote:

But Kramer inhereted an ABSOLUTE DISASTER from Cliff Hysell and Earle Solomonson. You guys couldn't fill the stadium. You had students throwing trash at the MSU bench during the `99 Brawl.

The Big Human brought you back to relevance in 2-3 years, after he'd done the same thing at Eastern - before they had anyone providing facilities and when honestly they were close to being dropped to DII.

Choate didn't inherit much, the only QB he had on the roster was a redshirt unknown, his Sr QB had left for the Ducks, one of the worst defenses in the FCS, he got a decent OL RB's an WR's.
Ummm...Choate inherited one of the best offenses in FCS (minus his star QB). Herbert, Paige, Gates, Brekke, Newell. Of course, you had a O-line Pro prospect in JP Flynn plus Mahoney & Gillis as returning starters. I'd say the O coming into Choate first year was STACKED (minus his star QB of course). He didn't do much with it.

On the other hand, he inherited a D that had been embarrassingly bad. He turned that into a pretty dang respectable unit.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 pm

onceacat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

Choate didn't inherit much, the only QB he had on the roster was a redshirt unknown, his Sr QB had left for the Ducks, one of the worst defenses in the FCS, he got a decent OL RB's an WR's.
Ummm...Choate inherited one of the best offenses in FCS (minus his star QB). Herbert, Paige, Gates, Brekke, Newell. Of course, you had a O-line Pro prospect in JP Flynn plus Mahoney & Gillis as returning starters. I'd say the O coming into Choate first year was STACKED (minus his star QB of course). He didn't do much with it.

On the other hand, he inherited a D that had been embarrassingly bad. He turned that into a pretty dang respectable unit.

Funny. Almost like having a good QB makes a difference with an offense.

We'll have to agree to disagree on what a stacked offense is, because we didn't have one.

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:40 pm

onceacat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

That star QB was a HUGE difference maker at the FCS level. Without Prukop, no way our offense was going to be any where as good. Once Bruggeman did not pan out, it was even tougher.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:29 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

That star QB was a HUGE difference maker at the FCS level. Without Prukop, no way our offense was going to be any where as good. Once Bruggeman did not pan out, it was even tougher.

Sooooo, you're saying that having the right QB is the key to making an offence go??? :coffee:

onceacat

Post by onceacat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:02 pm

HelenaCat wrote:
onceacat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

And its fair to suggest that it was Ash that pushed McQueary into the Frontier League. On the other hand, it was Choate that went out and recruited Bruggeman and handed him the keys to the Porsche. I'm pretty sure that Cramsey & Ash had a plan to replace Prukop.

It wasn't my intention to turn this into another Choate v Ash thread. Its hard to replace a QB like Prukop under the best of circumstances, and a coaching change is far from ideal circumstances. The change obviously had something to do with Hoy leaving, and settling on Bruggeman as a replacement was an epic disaster that I don't think would have been repeated had (for example) Cramsey been hired as HC. (And just to be clear, I think Choate is a WAY better HC than Cramsey would have been. Choate is just struggling with the offense.)

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:36 pm

AFCAT wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

I disagree. I think their football program has underachieved even with the scandals & upheavals. This is a program that has facilities & a fan base unlike any other school in FCS. You would have to be one dipschit of a coach & recruiter to lose any recruiting battle to any other FCS school in the Western US. Their facilities & fanbase are actually on par with top 50 D1 schools, believe it or not. Add to that their recent history & tradition, it’s actually a joke for them to lose more than 1 or 2 games in any season, especially with their soft schedules.

I said it before the Cats beat them down last Saturday and I will say it again - the glory days of griz football are over & they are never coming back. This is a now a soft overhyped program in a schitlib town under a severely mismanaged university with a fat, dumb, & delusional fanbase. Ladies & Gentlemen, it is a great time to be alive & to be a Bobcat.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 pm

onceacat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:

Ummmm... no sir. Choate inherited a walk-on RB who wasn’t offered by any Big Sky school, an undersized injury-prone Brekke, and two WRs who would not be starting at any other Big Sky school. And I’m a big fan of Herbert but that’s the truth in the Big Sky today. The Oline was average at best. The D unit was one of the top 3 worst in the Big Sky. Choate inherited zilch. He salvaged his season with his own true freshman recruit at QB, solid special teams, a feisty D mentality led by Gregorak, all while using many newcomers he & his new staff brought in that year.