Who we lose----needs

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Who we lose----needs

Post by Cledus » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:19 pm

95bcfb wrote:Our #1 need is a dominant pass rusher. I love Marks and maybe he develops into that guy but I am not sure he will. I hope we have someone on the team that is developing into that but if we don't we need to go out and get one. I think that was our main reason we were dismal on 3rd down and also why we were dead last or near dead last in interceptions.

Our #2 need - and one could make a very strong argument that it is our #1 need is good QB. Maybe our guys develop into that guy but if they don't we will not be better next year - at least not significantly. I don't see Murray improving enough but who knows. I really would like to see him at WR. I can't imagine trying to tackle him in the open field. I hope he doesn't end up the #2 QB not have any time to gel as WR.

Looking at our commits that we have our biggest needs for this recruiting class (not necessarily for immediate playing time) is big O'linemen. I think we only have one committed now and I would like to see at least 2 more.
I believe Murray has shown enough improvement that he will not have the starting job taken from him, but that he could potentially lose it if one of the other QB's outperforms him in the off season.

Having said that, I think he showed a lot of improvement and maybe we could be a playoff-caliber team with him at the helm. If he can't reliably complete a pass on 3rd and long, but he can pick up a first down with his legs then is it really that different? If he could pass for 55% or 60% and 150 yards per game and his legs get us another 100 yards per game I think that kind of crosses the threshold we're all looking for.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:28 pm

Murray had a 147 qb rating the last two games. While not good enough over the season he continues to improve and with another productive off-season I can see him playing like this consistently. He’s a very savvy player and makes plays as his fourth down conversion rate proves.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:30 pm

If MSU can develop a pass rusher Cole, Thomas and the entire secondary will have a big season. I think Chad Kanow is a prospect at rush end.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:01 pm

Cledus wrote:
95bcfb wrote:Our #1 need is a dominant pass rusher. I love Marks and maybe he develops into that guy but I am not sure he will. I hope we have someone on the team that is developing into that but if we don't we need to go out and get one. I think that was our main reason we were dismal on 3rd down and also why we were dead last or near dead last in interceptions.

Our #2 need - and one could make a very strong argument that it is our #1 need is good QB. Maybe our guys develop into that guy but if they don't we will not be better next year - at least not significantly. I don't see Murray improving enough but who knows. I really would like to see him at WR. I can't imagine trying to tackle him in the open field. I hope he doesn't end up the #2 QB not have any time to gel as WR.

Looking at our commits that we have our biggest needs for this recruiting class (not necessarily for immediate playing time) is big O'linemen. I think we only have one committed now and I would like to see at least 2 more.
I believe Murray has shown enough improvement that he will not have the starting job taken from him, but that he could potentially lose it if one of the other QB's outperforms him in the off season.

Having said that, I think he showed a lot of improvement and maybe we could be a playoff-caliber team with him at the helm. If he can't reliably complete a pass on 3rd and long, but he can pick up a first down with his legs then is it really that different? If he could pass for 55% or 60% and 150 yards per game and his legs get us another 100 yards per game I think that kind of crosses the threshold we're all looking for.
The question I asked myself every time I watch him play his how long until he gets hurt? He has shown remarkable toughness and the ability to avoid direct hits most of the time. But he takes some pretty hard hits at times as well. He is a phenomenal athlete so maybe he can do this injury free every year. Time will tell.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:27 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
Cledus wrote:

The question I asked myself every time I watch him play his how long until he gets hurt? He has shown remarkable toughness and the ability to avoid direct hits most of the time. But he takes some pretty hard hits at times as well. He is a phenomenal athlete so maybe he can do this injury free every year. Time will tell.

Griz fans said the same thing last year about Murray. I think the griz ended up playing 3 different QBs last year due to injury. Murray didn't miss a down.

They said the same thing this off-season, Murray's too skinny and runs too much. And again, Murray didn't miss a down due to injury, and again the griz played at least 3 guys at QB due to injury.

Injuries happen in football, and a big part of it is just luck. But after 2 full injury-free years, it's safe to say Murray is not injury prone.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:03 pm

Cledus wrote:

If he can play at a 130/140 all season, we will be a tough match-up.

The last few games he also let others carry their weight a lot more. LaSane, Andersen, Jones, Johnson, Kassis, Herbert. It helps to move the ball around.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:55 am

91catAlum wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
Cledus wrote:

Griz fans said the same thing last year about Murray. I think the griz ended up playing 3 different QBs last year due to injury. Murray didn't miss a down.

They said the same thing this off-season, Murray's too skinny and runs too much. And again, Murray didn't miss a down due to injury, and again the griz played at least 3 guys at QB due to injury.

Injuries happen in football, and a big part of it is just luck. But after 2 full injury-free years, it's safe to say Murray is not injury prone.
A big part of why he’s avoided injuries is his football savvy. He knows when to slide, duck and get out of bounds. Another is luck.

toM StUber

84CatGrad
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by 84CatGrad » Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:42 am

Our starting QB is 2-0 in THE GAME and ran for over 1000 yards. Does he need to improve his passing? Sure. But I love a running QB and we have a great one. I think the only way he is replaced is an injury.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 am

[quote="mslacatfan"][quote="The MICKSTER"]We lose---8 off defense & 5 off offense, plus our LS;
LOST to Graduation..... Possible Replacement (relatively new to 2-deep)

DB Bryson McCabe……….Ben Folsom
DB Khari Garcia…………….Keaton Anderson
DB West Wilson………….…maybe a transfer
CB Bryce Alley………………maybe a transfer
LB Jakob McCarthy……….Tad Gilman/Sean Opland
LB Mac Bignell……………..Jacob Hadley/Balue Chapman
DT Brandon Hayashi……..Elu Leota/maybe a transfer
DT Fou Polataivao………..Travis Yates/maybe a transfer

OL Dylan Mahoney……..….several to choose from or a transfer
OL Caleb Gillis……………….several to choose from or a transfer
WR Mitch Herbert…….……Payton Hanser/James Campbell
RB Nick LaSane……………..Jake Roper/Ed Vander
WR Justin Paige……….…..D’Agostino if OK’d to play after injury

LS Rocky Hogue…………..…Logan Macdonald

Offensive line will be ok, but they have had injuries and retirements every year, you always have recruit more horses.
DB are needed, but I'm not found of transfers, recruit talent
I don't see roper or vander playing next year except in backup roles.
Defense line sucked this year, only place I see a transfer picked up
Rovig starts and Murray moves to RB, with the option pass giving him better QB rating at 190. Murray runs for 1500 yards.
Option with Anderson and murray, spread out the defense and shred them. Run outside, not up the middle.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:08 am

Montanabob wrote: Defense line sucked this year, only place I see a transfer picked up

Did we watch the same team? Our dline was stout this year. Wright, Yates, benson, letoa, faanono, collins, marks, jobman all coming as well as some promising redshirts.

No doubt we need a big time pass rusher, but to say they sucked is completely inaccurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

95bcfb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 95bcfb » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:12 am

Our starting QB is 2-0 in THE GAME and ran for over 1000 yards. Does he need to improve his passing? Sure. But I love a running QB and we have a great one. I think the only way he is replaced is an injury.[/quote]

Then unless he improves greatly (which maybe he does) we will remain a 1 dimensional team and have to weight for 3 years to make a deep run in the playoffs. Are we willing to do that? Can we continue to recruit quality talent at WR with that type of system? I think not but that is just my opinion. I like a QB that can run also but I like one that can pass better. I do think that you have to give him a chance to keep his job. He has earned that but it stinks because the offense would be a lot better if he could practice the position that he will play. Then again maybe he improves and keeps his starting role. I just can't think of any examples of a QB that has made a big transition from a run first QB to a true passing QB. And for those that think we don't need him to be a great passer - when was the last time you saw a running QB in the national championship? Thats a real question - I can't think of one but I could be missing one. Maybe you could categorize Alabama's QB that way. This is in my opinion going to be a defining year for this coaching staff and the QB battle will determine if we like the outcome.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:23 am

wbtfg wrote:
Montanabob wrote: Defense line sucked this year, only place I see a transfer picked up

Did we watch the same team? Our dline was stout this year. Wright, Yates, benson, letoa, faanono, collins, marks, jobman all coming as well as some promising redshirts.

No doubt we need a big time pass rusher, but to say they sucked is completely inaccurate.

+1 Was just about to say the same thing.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:34 am

91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Dude, you are out to lunch. I thought we potentially had three all conference level players in Yates Wright, and Marks. We are not big but they held their own and sometimes we’re a difference maker. If Jobman or Marks can improve in pass rush, they will be best dline in Conference next year IMO.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:44 am

Montanabob wrote: DB are needed, but I'm not found of transfers, recruit talent
You don't like McCabe, Michael Beach, John Walker, Joey Thomas...etc.. 8)
I don't see roper or vander playing next year except in backup roles.
Who starts then? Murray? Anderson? Vander will most likely be the starter from what I've seen. No idea if Roper is even coming back.
Rovig starts and Murray moves to RB, with the option pass giving him better QB rating at 190. Murray runs for 1500 yards.
Why do people seem to think Murray could play RB? He is far to tall and skinny and running from that position is completely different than from QB. You can pick and chose as a QB where a RB is pretty much going to go where the play is designed to go and will have the defense flowing to them.
Option with Anderson and murray, spread out the defense and shred them. Run outside, not up the middle.
If you're going to run an option offense, just leave Murray at QB. Makes no sense to take half the snaps away from your starting QB.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:03 am

superbobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Dude, you are out to lunch. I thought we potentially had three all conference level players in Yates Wright, and Marks. We are not big but they held their own and sometimes we’re a difference maker. If Jobman or Marks can improve in pass rush, they will be best dline in Conference next year IMO.
Tucker Yates is a smaller, not quite as impactful (yet) version of Zach Minter. There were a large number of occasions this year when he blew up his blocker, or blockers in some cases, opening holes for the LBs in run D. Over the last 4 games I can recall at least 3 or 4 plays a game where he was in the backfield almost before the ball was snapped it seemed. One more off-season in the weight room and on the practice field and I think he is one of the best DTs in the conference.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:12 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

Tucker Yates is a smaller, not quite as impactful (yet) version of Zach Minter. There were a large number of occasions this year when he blew up his blocker, or blockers in some cases, opening holes for the LBs in run D. Over the last 4 games I can recall at least 3 or 4 plays a game where he was in the backfield almost before the ball was snapped it seemed. One more off-season in the weight room and on the practice field and I think he is one of the best DTs in the conference.

This is not meant as disrespect towards Yates, because he's fine as a player...but I don't think you remember watching Minter very well. Minter is a huge reason for why Schreibeis and Daly did so well. Minter was a great interior pass rusher, we don't even have an average one right now except for maybe Benson.

Our DL is average. Good at stopping the run, poor at pass rushing.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:21 am

bobcat99 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

This is not meant as disrespect towards Yates, because he's fine as a player...but I don't think you remember watching Minter very well. Minter is a huge reason for why Schreibeis and Daly did so well. Minter was a great interior pass rusher, we don't even have an average one right now except for maybe Benson.

I remember watching Minter just fine. I also said Yates isn't as impactful, but he is a big reason we were pretty successful against the run. You're right, he's not a great interior rusher, but he's very good in run D.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:34 am

superbobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

yeah.... not sure WTF MontanaBob is smoking..... but the DL definitely did not suck. Pash Rush off the edges could use some improvement for sure, but the Run D was one of the best in the conference.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:51 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
superbobcat wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
wbtfg wrote:

I remember watching Minter just fine. I also said Yates isn't as impactful, but he is a big reason we were pretty successful against the run. You're right, he's not a great interior rusher, but he's very good in run D.

You said he's not quite as impactful, implying that it's close. It is not close, at all. Minter was a great player for us. Yates is good, but he's not close to Minter.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:58 am

To sum up. We lose some great young men and need to see improvement from top to bottom.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."