Choate's Contract

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Re: Choate's Contract

Post by Go Scats Go » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:57 pm

msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Not sure where I heard it, but Bobby is to be paid in the 200K range plus benefits...and I would think regardless of our feeling about what Coach Choate should be paid based on his W's and L's, I would think we need to match Honks salary...IMO!
$185,000 base, plus bennies and incentives.
Based on the annual raise, and the assumption my math is right (a big assumption), Choate's base salary will be more than Robert's.
https://twitter.com/Amie_Just/status/938108171100463104

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:59 pm

85CatGrad wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:And if the cats go 3-8 you will tar and feather him.

Its the nature of college coaching in todays game

Both sides have valid points, Next November will be a time to look. But at some point doesn't he have to win more then he loses in a season?
What will you do if Hauck has a losing season or two? How many years does Hauck get before Scat kicks him to the curb? 1 or 2 at the most? Would love to hear what you expect out of Bobby.
Like every coach, I think you really don't get a good gauge until the 4th year...

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:04 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

Both sides have valid points, Next November will be a time to look. But at some point doesn't he have to win more then he loses in a season?
What will you do if Hauck has a losing season or two? How many years does Hauck get before Scat kicks him to the curb? 1 or 2 at the most? Would love to hear what you expect out of Bobby.
Like every coach, I think you really don't get a good gauge until the 4th year...
I agree! It takes 3 seasons to really start driving a program. That said, you better start getting hints that you are going down the road you want by then or in coaching you are going to be very uncomfortable these days with our instant gratification needing to be satiated.

So, Robert is getting $325,000 to coach??? I didn't think he'd be coming back for warm fuzzies!!! Well, that will influence Coach Choates contract renegotiation after running the table in the BSC and getting into the playoffs with a young- experienced, and dominant team!!! =D^ Thanks to Robert, Jeff is going to make bank...and rightly so! =D^

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:25 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

I agree! It takes 3 seasons to really start driving a program. That said, you better start getting hints that you are going down the road you want by then or in coaching you are going to be very uncomfortable these days with our instant gratification needing to be satiated.

So, Robert is getting $325,000 to coach??? I didn't think he'd be coming back for warm fuzzies!!! Well, that will influence Coach Choates contract renegotiation after running the table in the BSC and getting into the playoffs with a young- experienced, and dominant team!!! =D^ Thanks to Robert, Jeff is going to make bank...and rightly so! =D^
That's with incentives. Booby's base is $185,000. Choates is $180,000.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:27 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

Yes, I was aware of the incentive additions...but was being a bit tongue in cheek as all griz fans are convinced an NC is happening next year for Robert! :D

I was maybe a bit too subtle on that one...my bad!

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:36 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

Choate has been earning the Griz killer incentive though. :lol:

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:41 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Yes, I was aware of the incentive additions...but was being a bit tongue in cheek as all griz fans are convinced an NC is happening next year for Robert! :D

Subtlety is not allowed. [-X

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:46 pm

Doesn't the BOR keep the contracts of both the UM and MSU coaches fairly close? I thought I read somewhere that the contracts for head football for either school will generally be the same due to the BOR or some governing body. I'm guessing the base and the totals incentives for both coaches is within 10k of each other

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:59 pm

Grizaddict wrote:Doesn't the BOR keep the contracts of both the UM and MSU coaches fairly close? I thought I read somewhere that the contracts for head football for either school will generally be the same due to the BOR or some governing body. I'm guessing the base and the totals incentives for both coaches is within 10k of each other
Yes, this is true. But, the bump in the base pay for Robert will reflect in the bump in Choate's renegotiation next season. On a side note, I do like the incentive laden contracts for coaching!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:30 pm

The Missoulian's addition is incorrect. Hauck's guaranteed salary with media guarantees is $240,000 and his maximum salary with incentives for 2018 is $339,000.
Choate receives a $25,000 guarantee for a similar clause that also includes ticket sales campaigns. Choate’s guaranteed salary was $245,000 when he signed the deal on January 1 of 2016. Assuming the standard 3-percent raise each of the last two years from the state, Choate will make a guaranteed $256,500 in his final year of his first contract at MSU.

Hauck's guaranteed first-year salary is $240,000.
Details of Montana head coach Bobby Hauck’s three-year contract
https://skylinesportsmt.com/details-of- ... -contract/

Story on Choate's contract

COACHING CONTRACTS: Montana State head football coach Jeff Choate
https://skylinesportsmt.com/coaching-co ... ff-choate/

Choate's bonuses are much more significant. For example, Choate would get a $50,000 bonus for a national championship compared to $30,000 for Hauck.

From that story:
Each performance bonus will be paid in a lump sum to Choate within 60 days of attainment. If Choate were to graduate 100 percent of his players with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 and a perfect academic progress rating while beating an FBS team during a 10-win national championship season that included Big Sky Coach of the Year, the league crown and a win over the Grizzlies, the contract could pay Choate a maximum of $525,000. Ash’s full bonus amount in his final season totaled the potential to earn $446,038.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:45 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote: Choate's bonuses are much more significant. For example, Choate would get a $50,000 bonus for a national championship compared to $30,000 for Hauck.

From that story:
Each performance bonus will be paid in a lump sum to Choate within 60 days of attainment. If Choate were to graduate 100 percent of his players with a cumulative GPA of 2.75 and a perfect academic progress rating while beating an FBS team during a 10-win national championship season that included Big Sky Coach of the Year, the league crown and a win over the Grizzlies, the contract could pay Choate a maximum of $525,000. Ash’s full bonus amount in his final season totaled the potential to earn $446,038.
Makes sense right? Choate has half the team UM does to accomplish the same goals...he deserves more credit! :coffee: 8)

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:17 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
85CatGrad wrote:

I don’t think ALL of us Griz fans expect an NC next year or the year after. At least none I know of.

msuhunter
Member # Retired

Post by msuhunter » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Not sure where I heard it, but Bobby is to be paid in the 200K range plus benefits...and I would think regardless of our feeling about what Coach Choate should be paid based on his W's and L's, I would think we need to match Honks salary...IMO!
Based on the annual raise, and the assumption my math is right (a big assumption), Choate's base salary will be more than Robert's.
"Base salary." Reading comprehension is lacking for you and most missoula college grad I see ... :coffee:

But, at least you still have Monte.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:43 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
UM should just drop the whole facade of being an academic institution and embrace being a decent athletic school.

$323k? That's obscene considering how the academic and enrollment side is cratering. Most Wal-Mart fans like the AG1's don't donate anything to the academic side of universities.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:02 am

PapaG wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
UM should just drop the whole facade of being an academic institution and embrace being a decent athletic school.

$323k? That's obscene considering how the academic and enrollment side is cratering. Most Wal-Mart fans like the AG1's don't donate anything to the academic side of universities.
I would wager that Choates salary is comparable.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:23 am

robgriz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

MSU also has 5000 more students. It should be comparable. I'm not disparaging UM when I say they should just embrace the athletic side of things. The fans in the seats will pay for Bobby's salary. The academic side will continue to suffer, but at least the Griz might get back in the playoffs.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:43 am

PapaG wrote:
robgriz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

MSU also has 5000 more students. It should be comparable. I'm not disparaging UM when I say they should just embrace the athletic side of things. The fans in the seats will pay for Bobby's salary. The academic side will continue to suffer, but at least the Griz might get back in the playoffs.

That would be great since it has a direct correlation to school enrollment. It's not a coincidence that UMs highest enrollment numbers were when Bobby and the team wer making deep playoff runs and national championship appearances. There's a lot of data out there on this very subject that states people want to be associated with winners and that often times S hoolswill see a spike in student enrollment after the school football team or hoops team is in the spotlight on a national stage. I'm thoroughly convinced the Griz winning on the football field will not only put more butts in the stadium seats but also in the classroom.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:46 am

PapaG wrote:
robgriz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

Yeah, but does MSU have a Transgender Studies degree program??? Yeah, didn’t think so. [-X

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:31 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
PapaG wrote:
robgriz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

That would be great since it has a direct correlation to school enrollment. It's not a coincidence that UMs highest enrollment numbers were when Bobby and the team wer making deep playoff runs and national championship appearances. There's a lot of data out there on this very subject that states people want to be associated with winners and that often times S hoolswill see a spike in student enrollment after the school football team or hoops team is in the spotlight on a national stage. I'm thoroughly convinced the Griz winning on the football field will not only put more butts in the stadium seats but also in the classroom.
For that theory to hold water, MSU must have won a couple of national championships in the last few years that I didn't hear about.

If you are betting that Bobby will be key in turning around your declining enrollment, I think you will be sorely disappointed. The problems at um are far deeper that just having not won a few football games.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

robgriz
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by robgriz » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:01 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
PapaG wrote:
robgriz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:

For that theory to hold water, MSU must have won a couple of national championships in the last few years that I didn't hear about.

If you are betting that Bobby will be key in turning around your declining enrollment, I think you will be sorely disappointed. The problems at um are far deeper that just having not won a few football games.
So...are you saying Transgender Studies is NOT a viable career degree??? UM needs to figure out where it’s going and how to get there. Hopefully Bodnar can provide the leadership that’s been lacking since that spineless jelly-fish engstrom took over. That idiot was an absolute disaster for the University