Choate's Contract

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Choate's Contract

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:44 am

Is Choate now going into the 3rd year of his contract?

If so, then I believe that we should sign him to an extension now! Program and culture have changed. We are headed in the right direction. We've beaten the Griz 2 years in a row. We are young, and only getting better.
An extension would be a strong signal of stability to potential recruits, especially given the uncertainty of the coaching situation at UM. And I believe that Choate has earned it.
IMO - sign him now.

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: Choate's Contract

Post by superbobcat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:58 am

Yep, I agree!

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:02 am

Count me in.

HawaiiFiveO
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HawaiiFiveO » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:17 am

Agreed...and make it a 3yr deal...

turkey_johnson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by turkey_johnson » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:44 am

Agreed. Choate has won the 2 most important games of his career so far. Of our 6 losses 5 of those teams are going to the playoffs. He has been doing an excellent job of recruiting local talent.

MSU COE '09

Bobcat Club Member

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:00 pm

Last year JP Flynn gave an interview after Cat griz and this year Herbert’s comment in the post game press conference, based on those comments alone Choate should be extended. Everything else is just gravy. The team loves him and believe in his vision.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:05 pm

I would extend the contract one year. When we have a winning season next year extend the contract to three. Don't get me wrong I like Coach Choate but I don't think you extend the contract until you are over the 500 mark.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:51 pm

bobcat92 wrote:I would extend the contract one year. When we have a winning season next year extend the contract to three. Don't get me wrong I like Coach Choate but I don't think you extend the contract until you are over the 500 mark.
Coach Choate knows where his bread is buttered where Coach Ash didn't. By that I mean, I don't think Ash ever understood how important winning the Brawl is, Coach Choate does and then some. Ty understands as well and additionally I think there is a little 'extra' something for Ty when he can beat his old boss and his bosses DC.

Last year the Bobcat defense held um's offense with their so-called NFL QB to 17 points in Wa-griz (they were averaging ~40 PPG). The Bobcats held um to 23 points this year (they were averaging over 36 PPG). The only other teams to hold um to less points was the UW Huskies and NAU when UM didn't have Jensen. Also, we scored more points yesterday at Bobcat stadium than any other game this year. Funny thing, our best offensive games (points wise) were on the road against UND-49 and NAU-36.

In year 1 coach Choate was 4-7, but let's say 3-7 because we played DII Western Oregon, with a 2-6 BSC record. Our OoC win was against Bryant, and we had a close loss to a very beatable Idaho.

In year 2 coach Choate is 5-6, with all 5 wins against BSC opponents, and thus a 5-3 BSC record. Of our 6 losses; 1 came to Wazzu, the others to 4 playoff teams plus @EWU.

Our overall record technically improved just 1 game from 4-7 last year to 5-6 this year, but considering our Strength of Schedule it seems to be a bigger improvement. Our BSC schedule improved from 2-6 to 5-3, a 3 game improvement.

IMHO, because of the overall direction of the program alone I'm for extending Choates contract if allowable. Let's face it if we would have had just an average OoC SoS we'd likely be 7-4 or at least 6-5, but I don't think it would have made us any better of a team, just one with a better record. Add to this that he's 2-0 against the fizz.......he's got my vote. GO CATS!

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:05 pm

Great home win for the program and headed in the right direction. But you guys need to lay off the pipe. Let's work on winning more than 1 big game a year, finishing over .500 and a playoff berth before crowning him the next Bear Bryant.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:10 pm

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:10 pm

KittieKop wrote:Great home win for the program and headed in the right direction. But you guys need to lay off the pipe. Let's work on winning more than 1 big game a year, finishing over .500 and a playoff berth before crowning him the next Bear Bryant.
I guess it depends if you are considering the trend of his team, or just the results. He is changing the entire culture and that takes time.

I’m okay with either extension, but I’m liking the direction we seem to be headed.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:11 pm

Who called him Bear Bryant?
Sign him now while we can. If/When he becomes Bear Bryant, it's too late.
The program is headed in the right direction.

"Lay off the pipe"? C'mon man.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:14 pm

CelticCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:Great home win for the program and headed in the right direction. But you guys need to lay off the pipe. Let's work on winning more than 1 big game a year, finishing over .500 and a playoff berth before crowning him the next Bear Bryant.
I guess it depends if you are considering the trend of his team, or just the results. He is changing the entire culture and that takes time.

I’m okay with either extension, but I’m liking the direction we seem to be headed.
If the foundation would have been in better shape when he got here the wins might have come faster.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:15 pm

CelticCat wrote:

Hey, I agree - we're fine where we are for now. But I still want progress in the next year and the years after that. Choate's proved he can win Cat-Griz, but there needs to be more. There needs to be wins, there needs to be conference championships and there needs to be playoff appearances. JUST winning Cat-Griz each year and still sitting home for Thanksgiving isn't going to get it done. Can he do it? Maybe. And he obviously should get next year and maybe the year after that, but I'm not ready to sell the house here until we get something more than a sub-.500 record and a Cat-Griz victory.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 pm

KittieKop wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Hey, I agree - we're fine where we are for now. But I still want progress in the next year and the years after that. Choate's proved he can win Cat-Griz, but there needs to be more. There needs to be wins, there needs to be conference championships and there needs to be playoff appearances. JUST winning Cat-Griz each year and still sitting home for Thanksgiving isn't going to get it done. Can he do it? Maybe. And he obviously should get next year and maybe the year after that, but I'm not ready to sell the house here until we get something more than a sub-.500 record and a Cat-Griz victory.
We only won two conference games last year. This year we won five. Until two weeks ago we had a back door shot at a playoff bid. The more you post, the more I’m convinced you can’t use a calculator.

Maybe you should move to Arkansas. I’m sure Ash would enjoy having you there as his sycophant.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:19 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

If the foundation would have been in better shape when he got here the wins might have come faster.
If he wouldn't have ran off half the upper classmen, maybe the wins might have come faster. You an Obama fan? Was all Bush's fault.

This is a stupid string of discussion. I say he gets a chance to continue improving. You want to give him the keys to the university, a life-time contract and marry your first born. He's doing well, things are improving and he absolutely should get more time. But I'm not like some of you swooning and fainting when he walks in the room. He's won 2 Cat-griz games, has yet to be in the playoffs and is well, well under .500 in his career.

I'm just saying - moderation here.

HelenaCat95
Golden Bobcat

Post by HelenaCat95 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:25 pm

The longer you wait to extend, the more expensive it gets. You buy on the upswing.

In addition , it signals stability to potential recruits - especially given the instability on the other side if the hill.

"Lifetime contract "? C'mon man.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:26 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

If he wouldn't have ran off half the upper classmen, maybe the wins might have come faster. You an Obama fan? Was all Bush's fault.

This is a stupid string of discussion. I say he gets a chance to continue improving. You want to give him the keys to the university, a life-time contract and marry your first born. He's doing well, things are improving and he absolutely should get more time. But I'm not like some of you swooning and fainting when he walks in the room. He's won 2 Cat-griz games, has yet to be in the playoffs and is well, well under .500 in his career.

Ask the upper classmen that stayed what they think. You a Trump fan?

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:36 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

Always the Choate buzzkill. Look, it's the day after we beat the griz for the second consecutive time, and the first time in Bozeman since 2005, something our former coach couldn't do. People are excited and emotional about that. Nobody on here actually has the power to extend Choate's contract, so why don't you just let people be excited?

At some point, you're gonna have to get over the Ash firing. I wanted Ash to get another year in 2015 as well, and was shocked at first when he was let go. But if you can't see what Choate is building here and get excited about it, then I guess you never will.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:36 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:

When you consider the talent we have, one has to be very happy with Choate and Co. Has he been perfect, absolutely not. Not even close. But these have been his first two years as a HC, there's going to be a growing curve.

What I'm seeing is that even with a poor record, these kids aren't giving up. What I'm seeing is that even in games where we are outmatched talent wise, we're still playing teams tough and close. Those are things I never saw with our previous coach.

So, are we good? I think we're at the least average, and trending upwards. We have a good coaching staff, we have a good recruiting staff, but most importantly, we have a good DEVELOPMENTAL staff. Players are getting better. Players are buying in.