Choate's Contract

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Choate's Contract

Post by GoldstoneCat » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:00 am

exppi wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:How many times in the last 30 years have we Seen the Cats sideline look like the grizz sideline yesterday ( many )
How many times have we seen the Cats sideline look like the Griz used to ( few ) besides the last two years and a
Few other times . Good Work from Choate and TG . If you don’ think these two are not cut from the same cloth ,you are mistaken,and if you Don’t think the Kids that are here don’t want to play for these Coaches, ask a few of them , listen to there interviews, Observe the way they play and never Quit . Sure we could play Western Montana and Valpro like teams and have
a winning record in year two . But we wouldn’t be building the type of team able to compete deep in the Play Offs . We
Competed with what four or five play off teams this year . No we didn’t win , however they we’re like play off experience
and a good measuring stick for what we need to do to get to wear we want. Steel sharpens Steel and this year losses
Will be future wins, as it was yesterday. I remember expectations of a deep run in the play offs a few years ago and some
Green and yellow North Dakota team , who I wasn’t even aware of and had never seen play , ended my expectations
For sure . I was impressed with the style of football they played , I see similarities to the way these Bobcats play, and
It worked out pretty good for that North Dakota team . So give him one or give him three ~ i’ll Bet the few of you ones ,he gets Three before he’s done here ! Don’t sweat the petty stuff.
Yep, the style of football travels, for sure. I'm thinking he'll earn his extensions, as you state. But we have to, as somebody above said, do more than beat UM next year. The third straight rivalry win needs to be our 7th or 8th of the year. I'm with you, i think he'll get 3 after next year, so let it play out.
Do you or KK want to bet the Cats won’t be 7 or better next year ? I’ll bet a hundred they are !
Why would I bet against the success of my team and alma mater? Some of you absolutely refuse to listen to anything you don't 100% agree with.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Ash - someone else brought it in, not me.

And question back you and the others sport - What do you say at the end of 2018 or 2019 if Choate's record is 6-5, 6-5.....5-6, 6-5....6-5, 7-4....something along those lines? I know its absolutely inconceivable that Choate won't win the Super Bowl and have 12 Heisman winners in the next two years, but what IF the league championships and play offs don't come. Where is YOUR line? Someone else on here just proposed a 10 year contract.......he has your unquestioning, undying loyalty for the next decade regardless what his results are?

Lastly, is continuing to win Cat-Griz good enough for everyone? If we're out of the playoffs for the next 3 years as well, but we're 5-0 in Cat-Griz games, does anyone give a sh!t???
Amen, man, been saying it all year. Ash was what he was, a change was made, no longer relevant whether we agree it should have been or not. The unconditional support for Choate around here is nuts. I like the style he's trying to establish here, i like how hard his 2 teams have played, and i like he's 2-0 against UM. But come on folks. He's not beaten a good team yet. 9-13. I hope the results are coming, and i believe they are. But don't reward him for them yet, because as somebody said, the second year and even third year of the brad huse era looked promising too. And no, we can't be ok, in the future, at 5 or 6 wins if one is against Montana. We have to ask for more than that. Again, my bet is we get it, but let's see it.
If you want to play that game, Kramer went 5-17 in his first 2 seasons. Sure, some things are different. But it takes time to develop things, especially when you have differences in philosophy between coaches.

Look at the way JP and Justin Herbert talked about Choate. I don't remember many players talking about Ash like that. The mentality is shifting and good things are coming. The future looks more like NDSU than ISU.
Yep, and Kramers third year we made the playoffs. And I'm not talking about ash vs. Choate here; its irrelevant. All I'm saying is judge Choate by results, not personality or his not-ash-ness or whatever it is. I believe the results are coming just like the rest of you (maybe not as fervent in that belief as some 8) ), but let them come first. Some certainty for him would be nice, i get it, but you can only go 3 years in Montana anyway, so that's not really relevant either. So far, his program's been pretty good about not recruiting troublemakers (every coach in the world will have a few), so i get the extension talk too, but again: 5-6 next year, what happens then? Only a hypothetical, not likely IMO, but are 3 more years warranted then? Maybe, maybe not, but i bet the clamor wouldn't be quite as loud.

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:09 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:How many times in the last 30 years have we Seen the Cats sideline look like the grizz sideline yesterday ( many )
How many times have we seen the Cats sideline look like the Griz used to ( few ) besides the last two years and a
Few other times . Good Work from Choate and TG . If you don’ think these two are not cut from the same cloth ,you are mistaken,and if you Don’t think the Kids that are here don’t want to play for these Coaches, ask a few of them , listen to there interviews, Observe the way they play and never Quit . Sure we could play Western Montana and Valpro like teams and have
a winning record in year two . But we wouldn’t be building the type of team able to compete deep in the Play Offs . We
Competed with what four or five play off teams this year . No we didn’t win , however they we’re like play off experience
and a good measuring stick for what we need to do to get to wear we want. Steel sharpens Steel and this year losses
Will be future wins, as it was yesterday. I remember expectations of a deep run in the play offs a few years ago and some
Green and yellow North Dakota team , who I wasn’t even aware of and had never seen play , ended my expectations
For sure . I was impressed with the style of football they played , I see similarities to the way these Bobcats play, and
It worked out pretty good for that North Dakota team . So give him one or give him three ~ i’ll Bet the few of you ones ,he gets Three before he’s done here ! Don’t sweat the petty stuff.
Yep, the style of football travels, for sure. I'm thinking he'll earn his extensions, as you state. But we have to, as somebody above said, do more than beat UM next year. The third straight rivalry win needs to be our 7th or 8th of the year. I'm with you, i think he'll get 3 after next year, so let it play out.
Do you or KK want to bet the Cats won’t be 7 or better next year ? I’ll bet a hundred they are !
Why would I bet against the success of my team and alma mater? Some of you absolutely refuse to listen to anything you don't 100% agree with.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Ash - someone else brought it in, not me.

And question back you and the others sport - What do you say at the end of 2018 or 2019 if Choate's record is 6-5, 6-5.....5-6, 6-5....6-5, 7-4....something along those lines? I know its absolutely inconceivable that Choate won't win the Super Bowl and have 12 Heisman winners in the next two years, but what IF the league championships and play offs don't come. Where is YOUR line? Someone else on here just proposed a 10 year contract.......he has your unquestioning, undying loyalty for the next decade regardless what his results are?

Lastly, is continuing to win Cat-Griz good enough for everyone? If we're out of the playoffs for the next 3 years as well, but we're 5-0 in Cat-Griz games, does anyone give a sh!t???
What if it isn’t that wretched ,and the Cats actually have a good record and beat the Griz a few more times in the
Next few years - you going to be ok ?
I'm fine whatever happens. If it is "wretched" as you describe it - you going to be OK? You seem to like throwing bombs, but don't like having a discussion or answering questions yourself. You seem to have a lot emotionally wrapped up in all this.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:22 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Any time you can get a contract extended for multiple years, you'd be an idiot to agree to a flat extension.

Of course he's going to want more money. Who wouldn't?
Whatever is offered in an extension, IF it did not contain a raise, it would be declined on arrival. It is embarrassing to think the Uni would offer him no more compensation in exchange for the commitment to stay. I doubt it did not include a raise (if there really was an offer made), the question is, how much and how it was structured.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:36 pm

NAU just awarded a new contract to Jerome Souers and he has only won a single Big Sky title in 20 years as head coach and been in the playoffs a handful of times. It's insanity to believe a coach has to get his team in the playoffs every single year or even a majority of the time. This isn't professional football for crying out loud. The griz built a great program in the 90s and early 2000's and NDSU has done even better in more recent memory, but those examples are definitely not the norm. Firing a winning coach after three seasons based on some AD having higher standards is crazy in my opinion. I think Choate is running a good program and I see improvement in every part of it. I do want to see a winning record next year and hopefully a playoff spot, but I won't be like some griz fans and scream for the coaches head if it doesn't happen. I think Choate deserves an extension if he wants one, maybe not ten years as someone suggested, but three would be fine with me.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:05 am

AFCAT wrote:NAU just awarded a new contract to Jerome Souers and he has only won a single Big Sky title in 20 years as head coach and been in the playoffs a handful of times. It's insanity to believe a coach has to get his team in the playoffs every single year or even a majority of the time. This isn't professional football for crying out loud. The griz built a great program in the 90s and early 2000's and NDSU has done even better in more recent memory, but those examples are definitely not the norm. Firing a winning coach after three seasons based on some AD having higher standards is crazy in my opinion. I think Choate is running a good program and I see improvement in every part of it. I do want to see a winning record next year and hopefully a playoff spot, but I won't be like some griz fans and scream for the coaches head if it doesn't happen. I think Choate deserves an extension if he wants one, maybe not ten years as someone suggested, but three would be fine with me.
Excellent points. It is ludicrous to not provide a coach extended contracts, especially in a union protected state such as Montana. Nearly every profession in this state has virtual lifetime protections provided by a union and to think one of the flagship schools will not provide that security to the individual who most represents that university (sorry Waded and Costello) is backward thinking. I know a two or three year contract is not lifetime job security like our teachers, law enforcement, fire fighters, etc. enjoy (and all too often take advantage of as exhibited by how much some of them spend in this site--even district superintendents are on here during their "work" day) so what is the problem with extending a professional practice to a second year coach and staff who appears to be trending upward?

It'd be a travesty to not provide a young staff some modicum of professional practice relative contracts.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:36 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
AFCAT wrote:NAU just awarded a new contract to Jerome Souers and he has only won a single Big Sky title in 20 years as head coach and been in the playoffs a handful of times. It's insanity to believe a coach has to get his team in the playoffs every single year or even a majority of the time. This isn't professional football for crying out loud. The griz built a great program in the 90s and early 2000's and NDSU has done even better in more recent memory, but those examples are definitely not the norm. Firing a winning coach after three seasons based on some AD having higher standards is crazy in my opinion. I think Choate is running a good program and I see improvement in every part of it. I do want to see a winning record next year and hopefully a playoff spot, but I won't be like some griz fans and scream for the coaches head if it doesn't happen. I think Choate deserves an extension if he wants one, maybe not ten years as someone suggested, but three would be fine with me.
Excellent points. It is ludicrous to not provide a coach extended contracts, especially in a union protected state such as Montana. Nearly every profession in this state has virtual lifetime protections provided by a union and to think one of the flagship schools will not provide that security to the individual who most represents that university (sorry Waded and Costello) is backward thinking. I know a two or three year contract is not lifetime job security like our teachers, law enforcement, fire fighters, etc. enjoy (and all too often take advantage of as exhibited by how much some of them spend in this site--even district superintendents are on here during their "work" day) so what is the problem with extending a professional practice to a second year coach and staff who appears to be trending upward?

It'd be a travesty to not provide a young staff some modicum of professional practice relative contracts.
So you're the one I should schedule with to make sure its OK I use the computer? :roll: I'm kinda touched - or maybe creeped out - that you know my work schedule, so you're able to fill me in when I'm allowed on the internet and when I'm not.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:38 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:

What if it isn’t that wretched ,and the Cats actually have a good record and beat the Griz a few more times in the
Next few years - you going to be ok ?
I'm fine whatever happens. If it is "wretched" as you describe it - you going to be OK? You seem to like throwing bombs, but don't like having a discussion or answering questions yourself. You seem to have a lot emotionally wrapped up in all this.
Emotionally ? Maybe, but Passionate and Optimistic for sure, especially when it comes to Bobcat Football . Ok with wretched or
dismal or 6-5 5-6 etc. down the road in a few years NO! But I am confident it won't be. So I don't worry about it. Especially
now instead of two or three years from now. Just going to be emotional and enjoy the Journey of Bobcat football the next
several years . :D

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:45 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

So you're the one I should schedule with to make sure its OK I use the computer? :roll: I'm kinda touched - or maybe creeped out - that you know my work schedule, so you're able to fill me in when I'm allowed on the internet and when I'm not.
You really like to fight with everybody, don't you? And did I touch a nerve? Krispy Kreme has a special every holiday.

The coaching staff deserves to be treated like professionals and afforded the same level of job security you enjoy. This isn't an extra curricular high school activity they are sponsoring.

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:48 pm

Cat Grad wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

You really like to fight with everybody, don't you? And did I touch a nerve? Krispy Kreme has a special every holiday.

The coaching staff deserves to be treated like professionals and afforded the same level of job security you enjoy. This isn't an extra curricular high school activity they are sponsoring.
I like to fight? You attack me for no godly reason and accuse me of basically stealing time from my employer, then say I'm picking a fight? Why don't you go back to talking football and mind your own business. And classy with the donut joke. You stay up all night thinking that one up?

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:00 pm

KittieKop wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:
KittieKop wrote:
Cat Grad wrote:

I like to fight? You attack me for no godly reason and accuse me of basically stealing time from my employer, then say I'm picking a fight? Why don't you go back to talking football and mind your own business. And classy with the donut joke. You stay up all night thinking that one up?
Damn man! Now you are a victim! Well played.

Choate and his staff deserves the standard three year contract and if, and it's a big if looking at the way MSU is trending, they fall short, then they are bought out and encouraged to take their skills elsewhere. It's what we do in collegiate athletics from one end of the country to the other.

I can't help but wonder now why you got so defensive with my analogies with other union jobs. Geezzz, man. Why did you get so defensive?

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:08 pm

I think it is Texas A&M that will probably fire their coach and he has a 51-25 record...

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 pm

RickRund wrote:
I think it is Texas A&M that will probably fire their coach and he has a 51-25 record...
But being in the Power 5 making 5 million a year is very different.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:18 pm

Ha ha.....cops and donuts :lol:

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:19 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
bobcat99 wrote:Any time you can get a contract extended for multiple years, you'd be an idiot to agree to a flat extension.

Of course he's going to want more money. Who wouldn't?
Whatever is offered in an extension, IF it did not contain a raise, it would be declined on arrival. It is embarrassing to think the Uni would offer him no more compensation in exchange for the commitment to stay. I doubt it did not include a raise (if there really was an offer made), the question is, how much and how it was structured.
I'm a bit worried about this. The state had to call a special session due to a budget shortfall. They might have to find other ways to sweeten the pot.

CatFan99
New Recruit

Post by CatFan99 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:48 pm

I would agree that Choate has the program trending upward, the town/fans are behind him and the future is looking promising for the Cats. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Winning the Cat/Griz game is awesome, nobody hates the griz more than I do, but making the playoffs and someday competing for a national championship is the ultimate goal right? Choate has been here two short years, winning more games this year than last, but still below 500. So, lets not get carried away with contract extensions until he proves he can put together a playoff worthy team. I believe he can, but he hasn't yet.

1984TwoMinutesHate
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by 1984TwoMinutesHate » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:04 pm

CatFan99 wrote:I would agree that Choate has the program trending upward, the town/fans are behind him and the future is looking promising for the Cats. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Winning the Cat/Griz game is awesome, nobody hates the griz more than I do, but making the playoffs and someday competing for a national championship is the ultimate goal right? Choate has been here two short years, winning more games this year than last, but still below 500. So, lets not get carried away with contract extensions until he proves he can put together a playoff worthy team. I believe he can, but he hasn't yet.
Wrong. The first & most important goal in any given season is to OWN THE STATE. This must never be forgotten.

Playoffs & National Championships will come as they're earned when we take care of our main goal with consistency.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:07 pm

CatFan99 wrote:I would agree that Choate has the program trending upward, the town/fans are behind him and the future is looking promising for the Cats. But, let's not get ahead of ourselves. Winning the Cat/Griz game is awesome, nobody hates the griz more than I do, but making the playoffs and someday competing for a national championship is the ultimate goal right? Choate has been here two short years, winning more games this year than last, but still below 500. So, lets not get carried away with contract extensions until he proves he can put together a playoff worthy team. I believe he can, but he hasn't yet.
2016 conference record:
2-6

2017 conference record:
5-3

The OOC schedule for those years are such vastly different teams and levels of competition I don't see how they can be included in any kind of meaningful trend analysis. In addition, this year's league record was literally a whisker from being 6-2.

But I would agree that in Choate's two years, there hasn't been a single quality win. Not a single one. Nada. :wink:

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

NorthernPlains
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by NorthernPlains » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:18 pm

Give him an extension but don't give him a raise.

He earns a bonus for a win in Cat/Griz. So give him financial incentives too for posting a damn winning record, winning the Big Sky, playoff wins...

The results to date have not warranted a raise. Rewarding losing records is a bad precedent to establish.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:33 pm

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

turkey_johnson
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by turkey_johnson » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:23 pm

1984TwoMinutesHate wrote:
Wrong. The first & most important goal in any given season is to OWN THE STATE. This must never be forgotten.

Playoffs & National Championships will come as they're earned when we take care of our main goal with consistency.
I agree; OWN THE STATE.

I have been a bobcat fan all my life and have been to almost every home game since 2005. I will always be excited to come watch talented and motivated Montana kids (some are my neighbors) who are focusing on being the best they can be on and off the field.

I think Choate has done an excellent job of recruiting Montana talent (MSU's uptrend and UM's downtrend hasn't hurt either). I don't think he deserves a pay raise at this point but I think we should stay on this horse for a while. We were very close this season to some quality wins and if we can keep it up hopefully some of those L's become W's!

MSU COE '09

Bobcat Club Member