Choate's Contract

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Choate's Contract

Post by Grizaddict » Wed Dec 06, 2017 1:32 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
PapaG wrote:
robgriz wrote:
PapaG wrote:
Go Scats Go wrote:
msuhunter wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Not sure where I heard it, but Bobby is to be paid in the 200K range plus benefits...and I would think regardless of our feeling about what Coach Choate should be paid based on his W's and L's, I would think we need to match Honks salary...IMO!
$185,000 base, plus bennies and incentives.
Based on the annual raise, and the assumption my math is right (a big assumption), Choate's base salary will be more than Robert's.
https://twitter.com/Amie_Just/status/938108171100463104
UM should just drop the whole facade of being an academic institution and embrace being a decent athletic school.

$323k? That's obscene considering how the academic and enrollment side is cratering. Most Wal-Mart fans like the AG1's don't donate anything to the academic side of universities.
I would wager that Choates salary is comparable.
MSU also has 5000 more students. It should be comparable. I'm not disparaging UM when I say they should just embrace the athletic side of things. The fans in the seats will pay for Bobby's salary. The academic side will continue to suffer, but at least the Griz might get back in the playoffs.

That would be great since it has a direct correlation to school enrollment. It's not a coincidence that UMs highest enrollment numbers were when Bobby and the team wer making deep playoff runs and national championship appearances. There's a lot of data out there on this very subject that states people want to be associated with winners and that often times S hoolswill see a spike in student enrollment after the school football team or hoops team is in the spotlight on a national stage. I'm thoroughly convinced the Griz winning on the football field will not only put more butts in the stadium seats but also in the classroom.
For that theory to hold water, MSU must have won a couple of national championships in the last few years that I didn't hear about.

If you are betting that Bobby will be key in turning around your declining enrollment, I think you will be sorely disappointed. The problems at um are far deeper that just having not won a few football games.
Nope you guys have seen increased enrollment in spite of 3 losing seasons in a row. You're bucking the trend :)

All I'm saying is that winning football games and deep playoff runs and national title games will help put butts in both the stands and in the classrooms. Not saying Hauck will make that all better but it will be a step in the right direction if he can get this thing turned around. President Bodnar is going to play a huge role in righting the ship as well. It will be a combo of a lot of stuff, but there's plenty of proof that a winning football team doesn't hurt.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:30 pm

I was going to start another topic with this, but the football coach and university presidents salaries are often mentioned together, so here it is.
This is info from the internet, so take it at that...

The Presidents of Montana State and UM are paid well below the national median for "flagship presidents". The 2016 median was $501,398 and MSU is about 73% of median, or about $375,000. But MSU sweetens the pot with a deferred comp program of about $100,000 per year. So President Cruzado has a current deferred comp package built to $500,000 to be paid out in $100,000 increments from age 65-70. She can conceivably build another $500,000 if she extends another 5 years. So really, she is somewhere north of $475,000 annually. I will trust she is getting other perks something like Coach Choate...maybe a car or allowance, travel, apperences, pretty darn good expense account, etc.....putting her package at over $500K.
I'm pretty comfortable with that, as I am with Coach Choate's package.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:41 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Nope you guys have seen increased enrollment in spite of 3 losing seasons in a row. You're bucking the trend :)

All I'm saying is that winning football games and deep playoff runs and national title games will help put butts in both the stands and in the classrooms. Not saying Hauck will make that all better but it will be a step in the right direction if he can get this thing turned around. President Bodnar is going to play a huge role in righting the ship as well. It will be a combo of a lot of stuff, but there's plenty of proof that a winning football team doesn't hurt.
Ok I will stipulate that a winning athletic program will put more buts in the seats. However I will disagree on the in the classroom part. Yes a winning athletic program is good PR and will make the university more visible and acceptable to students, however, it is not going to make a significant impact on enrollment. I think that degrees offered and general campus culture (perceived) are bigger issues in enrollment. Out of state students are not going to enroll at um just because they win a few more football games, the vast majority will have never heard of fizz football before. In state students that may select based on the football program, are probably going to go the um anyway, regardless of current success, if that is their choice of teams. Even with that, the vast majority of Montana students are still going to base their decision on something other than the athletic program.

Is a winning athletic program a positive for a university? Sure it is, but it isn't the solution to declining enrollment at um.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:18 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

Ok I will stipulate that a winning athletic program will put more buts in the seats. However I will disagree on the in the classroom part. Yes a winning athletic program is good PR and will make the university more visible and acceptable to students, however, it is not going to make a significant impact on enrollment. I think that degrees offered and general campus culture (perceived) are bigger issues in enrollment. Out of state students are not going to enroll at um just because they win a few more football games, the vast majority will have never heard of fizz football before. In state students that may select based on the football program, are probably going to go the um anyway, regardless of current success, if that is their choice of teams. Even with that, the vast majority of Montana students are still going to base their decision on something other than the athletic program.

Is a winning athletic program a positive for a university? Sure it is, but it isn't the solution to declining enrollment at um.
Maybe Grizaddict has a valid point. Their enrollment has been falling for years and that correlates with how pitiful their football teams have been!

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:27 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

I tend to agree with grizaddict, however, I don't think the response is immediate. Example:

I graduated HS in a rural MT town in the early 80's. At least 80% plus of the town were Bobcat fans. I don't remember ever seeing people wearing griz gear. The majority of the kids at that time went to MSU or one of the smaller colleges, but not um. The town is not near MSU or um so distance was not a factor. There is some bias because the town is a rural farming and ranching community and MSU is the better fit for many kids. Then came WaGriz and the streak. By the 2000's when I would go visit my parents, lots of people were wearing griz gear. The town had definitely switched sides. These are mostly people who did not attend either universities but picked the side that was winning on the field. Their kids grow up generally rooting for who their parents do. I think in today's world, with information available at the finger tips, kids choose colleges based on a lot more than a winning fb team. But if you grow up in a household that leans to one side, that likely weighs into the decision.

I will say that when visiting this Fall, I went to a HS playoff game and was happy to see a more Blue & Gold than dark pink.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:02 pm

rivercat wrote:
cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

I tend to agree with grizaddict, however, I don't think the response is immediate. Example:

I graduated HS in a rural MT town in the early 80's. At least 80% plus of the town were Bobcat fans. I don't remember ever seeing people wearing griz gear. The majority of the kids at that time went to MSU or one of the smaller colleges, but not um. The town is not near MSU or um so distance was not a factor. There is some bias because the town is a rural farming and ranching community and MSU is the better fit for many kids. Then came WaGriz and the streak. By the 2000's when I would go visit my parents, lots of people were wearing griz gear. The town had definitely switched sides. These are mostly people who did not attend either universities but picked the side that was winning on the field. Their kids grow up generally rooting for who their parents do. I think in today's world, with information available at the finger tips, kids choose colleges based on a lot more than a winning fb team. But if you grow up in a household that leans to one side, that likely weighs into the decision.

I will say that when visiting this Fall, I went to a HS playoff game and was happy to see a more Blue & Gold than dark pink.
I guess I don't think the amount of school gear you see in an area makes as lot of difference.
Here is my observed example:
My son (Cat fan growing up) chose MSU, while it was his team, the main reason was because he was going into Engineering, one of his roomates is a griz fan, Also in Engineering. Where the allegiances applies though is with three of his classmates that went into Business, (programs at both schools) the 2 kids that grew up as griz fans went to um, the one that grew up a Cat fan went to MSU. But now I look at 3 more kids that didn't really grow up with allegiances to either school, They went to MSU because of their major and academics.

So I guess what I am saying is that out of 8 kids that I know about their reasoning, only 3 attended a school based on any allegiances and those only mattered when both schools offered the same program.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:17 am

Coach Jeff Choate took home a total of $330,148 last year, the latest survey reported.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 am

Dang, that's a pretty big paycheck - that's sure to ruffle some feathers.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:33 am

Although Ash took home $451,454 in his last fiscal year.

BozoneCat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by BozoneCat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:41 pm

The problem isn't with what Coach Choate is earning. The problem is that President Cruzado deserves far more than she is being compensated, particularly if we want to keep her around.

GO CATS GO!!!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:43 pm

CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 am
Sorry, but he's worth more if he wins the conference...and she's worth more, way more now!!!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:51 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:43 pm
CelticCat wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:31 am
Sorry, but he's worth more if he wins the conference...and she's worth more, way more now!!!
Sure, because he'd get a bonus for that. 8)

mongoo99
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mongoo99 » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Sure, Choate gets paid more that Cruzado. How often do 20,000 people come watch Cruzado at work?

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:26 pm

I would say in most cases, head football coaches for FCS or FBS programs make more than the president, this is a non story. Stories are tough to come by and this is the press taking low hanging fruit, looking for reads.

As far as UM, Bobby will help, but the degrees they offer are not in demand except for their law school and MBA program. They struggle because you can get your MBA, PT, or lawyer degree there without starting there, which is what a lot of people do. So there undergrad suffers, while their graduate programs do really well. It’s gonna take a lot more than Bobby to change the undergrad enrollment.

If your left, you aren’t right.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:44 pm

I did a small study of three schools about 16 years ago. I interviewed The U of Wisconsin, the U of Minnesota and the U of Montana and compared any differences they could attribute to a winning football team (vs, a losing or say average team). For the U of W I asked about pre and post Alverez (sp?) and how much that changed anything they could measure and attribute to the football success. For U of Montana I looked at pre and post national championship and for U of Minnesota I looked at the years immediately after their only 2 successful years (Holtz year and they had another 7-4 year). I used these three because I had some access to people in the know (including the Athletic Directors). In each case the difference between the good and bad years was significant. All three experience a growth in enrollment but that was not a big factor. What was is the academic donations. They all reported a large jump in ACADEMIC donations. U of M had a $10M increase in that one year.

I also used to volunteer to call alumni in MN when the Alumni group had an event. When Gamble became President I personally made 500 phone calls to alumni to see if they could come and meet him at an event in Minneapolis. At least 25% said they would not attend until we beat the griz and/or had a winning season. I think when you leave school sports becomes the only thing you ca stay attached to. How many times have you seen a rabid fan who would say I never went to games when I was in school but now I follow the team.

Bottom line; there is a good reason football coaches make all that money. What is Saban up to now? $7M? They are worth it if they win!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:05 am

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they aren't worth it, I have no problems with it. I just know the anti-sportsball ilk will complain about it. I can see it now - "Couldn't they use this money for parking??"

The other thing I'd add to gtapp's post is that there are people like me, who if all things were equal, I'd choose to go to a school with a sports program over one that didn't 100% of the time. I wanted the full collegiate experience - tailgates, football, basketball, you name it.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:36 am

This is a huge nothingburger.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:45 am

I posted this simply because it was interesting to see how much the head coach actually makes.