Chris Murray

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Chris Murray

Post by mslacatfan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:40 am

Curious what everyone thinks of how Murray is (or is not) progressing. Personally I am not sure what to think of him.

-Had a 2 game stretch beginning of the season where he looked like the next Denarius McGhee... since then his passing game has been pretty non-existent.
-Is it the coaches fault with game plans and play calling??? Personally I wish they would call more passing plays, it should be closer to 50-50 run/pass. Hard to get in a rhythm passing, when you only do it once every 15 downs. (same thing with the WR's)

During that 2 game stretch early in the season, the offense just looked totally different, it seemed like they were way more open to passing... not sure whats going on now, but when you run it every single down it will get easier and easier for defenses to plan against.

Also, one of Murrays best talents is being able to scramble around, buy time, and then make the pass (what Mcghee used to do)... Again, I feel like they are not taking advantage of his athletic ability to create plays passing...

Not sure what to think at this point? I feel like he could/should be putting up way more passing yards/numbers, but for some reason the gameplan just wants to run it every single play....

FTG- GO CATS GO!

coloradocat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Chris Murray

Post by coloradocat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:52 am

I wonder if the coaches are looking at his completion % and that's what's pushing them to lean on run plays. If this is the case I think they're setting him up to fail in the passing game. If you rarely throw you won't get better, won't get in a rhythm and WR drops will be even more demoralizing. The run game seems strong enough at this point to throw more even if there are more incompletions. Since our changes of making the playoffs are slim, rather than focusing on what you're good at, focus on development.

Eastwood, did not make it. Ball out! Recovered, by Montana State!! The Bobcats hold!!! The Bobcats hold!!!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:10 am

mslacatfan wrote:Curious what everyone thinks of how Murray is (or is not) progressing. Personally I am not sure what to think of him.

-Had a 2 game stretch beginning of the season where he looked like the next Denarius McGhee... since then his passing game has been pretty non-existent.
-Is it the coaches fault with game plans and play calling??? Personally I wish they would call more passing plays, it should be closer to 50-50 run/pass. Hard to get in a rhythm passing, when you only do it once every 15 downs. (same thing with the WR's)

During that 2 game stretch early in the season, the offense just looked totally different, it seemed like they were way more open to passing... not sure whats going on now, but when you run it every single down it will get easier and easier for defenses to plan against.

Also, one of Murrays best talents is being able to scramble around, buy time, and then make the pass (what Mcghee used to do)... Again, I feel like they are not taking advantage of his athletic ability to create plays passing...

Not sure what to think at this point? I feel like he could/should be putting up way more passing yards/numbers, but for some reason the gameplan just wants to run it every single play....
I think it's probably a combination of all of those things. The bottom line is that Murray needs to be better with his decision making.

94VegasCat
Golden Bobcat
Location: Physically in northern Montana but my heart and soul are in Bobcat Stadium

Post by 94VegasCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:21 am

It seems to me, that a lot of our past plays are either at the line of scrimmage passes or 25 to 35 yards down the field. I don't ever recall hitting a WR dragging across the middle nor targeting the TE across the middle. We played Weber St and South Dakota State with their huge TEs, somebody tell me why we're not targeting Connor Sullivan? The kid is an animal.

I think some of the philosophy stems from Ashes last year or two, where our defense was exhausted and we don't have the defensive depth to throw the ball 30 times a game. Just my two cents.

I'd like to see us throw the ball about 20 to 25 times a game.

GO CATS GO. ESG! GO CATS GO

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:23 am

Is making the offense "simpler" a sign of progression?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:37 am

I'm still having a hard time figuring out why we don't throw any slants, or screens to the WRs. Kassis is our #1 punt returner. Not only does he protect the ball, but he is shifty and smart. Which is why he's out #1 punt returner. He should be getting at a bare minimum, 5 screens per game. Screens are basically an extension of the running game. I put more of the problem with Murray's passing on Army, than on Murray. Murray has shown that when he has the chance to pass consistently, he can pass well. Our offense isn't balanced enough to give Murray the chance to get into a rhythm. He needs to figure out how to be consistent no matter what obviously, but the play calling should help. And it's not.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:51 am

BleedingBLue wrote:I'm still having a hard time figuring out why we don't throw any slants, or screens to the WRs. Kassis is our #1 punt returner. Not only does he protect the ball, but he is shifty and smart. Which is why he's out #1 punt returner. He should be getting at a bare minimum, 5 screens per game. Screens are basically an extension of the running game. I put more of the problem with Murray's passing on Army, than on Murray. Murray has shown that when he has the chance to pass consistently, he can pass well. Our offense isn't balanced enough to give Murray the chance to get into a rhythm. He needs to figure out how to be consistent no matter what obviously, but the play calling should help. And it's not.
Ya, and paige? The only time I remember him touching the ball this year he scored a TD.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

loggy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by loggy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:55 am

coloradocat wrote:I wonder if the coaches are looking at his completion % and that's what's pushing them to lean on run plays. If this is the case I think they're setting him up to fail in the passing game. If you rarely throw you won't get better, won't get in a rhythm and WR drops will be even more demoralizing. The run game seems strong enough at this point to throw more even if there are more incompletions. Since our changes of making the playoffs are slim, rather than focusing on what you're good at, focus on development.
My thoughts as well. Gotta take off the handcuffs.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:03 pm

If he did pass more and pass better I doubt it'd make much of a difference, because we'd still be making mistakes to cost us chances of winning. Until they fix that I'm not going to try to dissect any single aspect of the team.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:05 pm

Late last season Choate made a plea to his team to stop turning the ball over. Now he needs to make a plea for them to stop making dumb mistakes.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:11 pm

iaafan wrote:Late last season Choate made a plea to his team to stop turning the ball over. Now he needs to make a plea for them to stop making dumb mistakes.
He should ask that of himself as well. Why in the world did he go for two in that last game? Did he ever address it? This isn't the first time he's made some very questionable decisions yet many seem very forgiving.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
iaafan wrote:Late last season Choate made a plea to his team to stop turning the ball over. Now he needs to make a plea for them to stop making dumb mistakes.
He should ask that of himself as well. Why in the world did he go for two in that last game? Did he ever address it? This isn't the first time he's made some very questionable decisions yet many seem very forgiving.
Something about the wind.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:56 pm

He's definitely still very raw. His throwing motion is better, his footwork is better, but there's still a lot to learn. He's got to do a better job going through his progressions for sure, to me it's almost like his focus is on his protection and he's missing receivers down the field because he doesn't want to be sacked... he's got to learn to read the D, know where the pressure is going to come from and know where to go with the ball to make them pay. Gubrud is excellent at that. He also needs to be counting in his head and know when its time to take off or get rid of the ball, and he needs to "feel" that blindside pressure. He's got a lot to learn for sure, but I think he's definitely made strides in his game. If he wasn't progressing, I'd think we'd see someone else at QB and Murray would probably get moved to slot receiver or something like that.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:06 pm

technoCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Is this what his teal reason was? If so that's garbage.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:05 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
technoCat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Is this what his teal reason was? If so that's garbage.
In yesterday's presser he said that on one end of the field, the kickers weren't making anything in pregame warm-ups due to the wind.
Something to that effect, anyways.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:15 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
Kicking game has not been good, it was windy. So going fro 2 removes a FG to win the game from the equation later in the game.

In other words he wanted to remove the possibility of depending on a kicker in the final seconds of the game.

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:45 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:
Kicking game has not been good, it was windy. So going fro 2 removes a FG to win the game from the equation later in the game.

In other words he wanted to remove the possibility of depending on a kicker in the final seconds of the game.
How does a 9 point lead as opposed to a 10 point lead make the team not rely on the kicker still to tie or win it possibly? And if we can't trust our tickets to make a 20 yard xp we have some major problems.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:53 pm

I'm pretty sure Choate can do the math. I'm confused about it too, but he had his reason for going for two and it wouldn't have made a difference. Even if we make it twice it's still 24-23 and we still fumble. That was our chance and we pissed it away.

loggy
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by loggy » Tue Oct 17, 2017 3:52 pm

Removes any pressure on making an extra point to possibly tie later on. Also, I think we didn't want to go to overtime. Win or lose in regulation. Would have been setup to win with a FG rather than tie.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:29 pm

I think it is stupid to blame not passing the ball on the wind. PSU passed for 300+ and EWU 225 against us in the wind. We have three receivers that if Gubrud was throwing to he would be throwing over 500 yards every game. I think Murray has come a long way, does some amazing things, but I wonder how far he can carry us. This offense is not working. I thought Messingham was pretty bad at play calling, I am starting to have those same feelings. I get that the run is working for us, but that should only help the passing game. As I have said before, how do you go recruit receivers or keep the really good ones you have if all they do is block for running backs all game. Talent is being wasted and that sucks to see. Herbert should have easily had over 1000 yards this season, Kassis should be over 1000 yards each season. Like I said, there is a lot of great things about Murray, but we need to have a passing game that we can count on to win games when needed.

Punters are people too!!