Mental Maturity

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Mental Maturity

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:12 am

We’re still a year away from competing at a high level. Not because we’re not talented, but because we easily slip into panic mode. Our players and coaches both seem to let the moment become bigger than it needs to be. We have to learn to rely on the process, stay within ourselves and play one play at a time.

For those blaming Murray for this loss, remember, he’s a kid who is a reflection of his coaches and teammates.

Don’t worry boys and girls, this team is going places. The upward trajectory is obvious. Lots to learn from and take away from this game as the opportunities to win were right there, but lacked critical execution which requires experience for coaches and players alike.

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Re: Mental Maturity

Post by Cledus » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:52 am

At what point is Murray no longer a kid? Is there a bright line threshold? I was an infantry grunt and I don't ever recall anyone saying, "Oh, but he's just a kid" whenever I or one of my peers failed to meet expectations.

If Murray did something dumb, like going out after the loss and getting a DUI, all of us here would be angry and saying "He's a grown up! You can't do those things!"

Just venting on this whole he's-just-a-kid canard, no matter who we're talking about.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:34 pm

If anyone is "still a kid" he needs to grow up. I don't say this in a chastising way. It's just a matter of fact.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Sun Oct 15, 2017 1:46 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:We’re still a year away from competing at a high level. Not because we’re not talented, but because we easily slip into panic mode. Our players and coaches both seem to let the moment become bigger than it needs to be. We have to learn to rely on the process, stay within ourselves and play one play at a time.

For those blaming Murray for this loss, remember, he’s a kid who is a reflection of his coaches and teammates.

Don’t worry boys and girls, this team is going places. The upward trajectory is obvious. Lots to learn from and take away from this game as the opportunities to win were right there, but lacked critical execution which requires experience for coaches and players alike.
Agree. Blaming Murray is dumb. If not for some of his plays (That TD run was sick), we probably aren't in that game with a chance to take the lead in the fourth quarter.

I agree with everything else you said. After we got that TO and had a GOLDEN opportunity to win that game I thought to myself, here it is. This is a chance for this team to grow up right in front of our eyes and learn how to win. I honestly had it playing out a bit differently in my mind though. I thought we would score a TD there, but give them a couple minutes left on the clock where GG would likely have marched them down and scored a TD for the win. :(

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

HawaiiFiveO
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by HawaiiFiveO » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:03 pm

I don't blame Murray, I do blame the coaches for l putting him in a position and not making adjustments.....However, I hold Murray accountable definitely...If he was better at reading the defense and passing he wouldn't have to make those "sick"runs... he would be able to rely on his RBs and his receivers.... Every Saturday it feels like insanity... I get that he's trying to compensate for his inabilities by running the ball, but that only works on lesser teams....
Enough said I'm moving onto UNC...

P.S. Murray is no longer a kid....Andersen is a kid , well until next year....

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:35 pm

LongTimeCatFan wrote:We’re still a year away from competing at a high level. Not because we’re not talented, but because we easily slip into panic mode. Our players and coaches both seem to let the moment become bigger than it needs to be. We have to learn to rely on the process, stay within ourselves and play one play at a time.

Agreed - Today's losses are Tomarows Win's - still would like em sooner than later , patience has never been
One of my better Virtues .

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:58 pm

Judging from the game yesterday i have to ask. What Sr is not replaceable next year?

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Lovethecats75 wrote:Judging from the game yesterday i have to ask. What Sr is not replaceable next year?

There is no one that is irreplaceable, but Mac Bignell is probably the closest the Cats have to that one guy. He produces game after game like no one else does on the team. Sure, Mac can make mistakes, but so does every top player in any league.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

LongTimeCatFan
Golden Bobcat

Post by LongTimeCatFan » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:25 pm

Cledus wrote:At what point is Murray no longer a kid? Is there a bright line threshold? I was an infantry grunt and I don't ever recall anyone saying, "Oh, but he's just a kid" whenever I or one of my peers failed to meet expectations.

If Murray did something dumb, like going out after the loss and getting a DUI, all of us here would be angry and saying "He's a grown up! You can't do those things!"

Just venting on this whole he's-just-a-kid canard, no matter who we're talking about.
Poor choice of words (kid). He is still a reflection of the leadership he’s given.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 pm

“There’s two different ways teams can respond: Teams can shut down or teams can fight,” said defensive tackle Zach Wright, who forced a fumble from Gubrud in the first quarter. “Me personally, being around this team, being around my brothers, we’re fighters.

“It’s not matter of, are we going to crash and burn? Because we’re not. Every single guy in there is (ticked) off right now. And we’re going to come back and we’re going to keep fighting.

“It doesn’t matter what the season looks like even if it looks dire and there’s no hope, we’re all right there. We’re right on the edge. We’re ready to take it.”
http://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky- ... 29d47.html

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:40 pm

I personally don't like referring to anyone over the age of 18 as a kid. I shudder every time I hear a coach refer to these young men as kids. I agree with Cledus. I spent 30 years in the military and I refused to refer to my troops as kids, regardless of their age. We expected too much from these young people to refer to them as kids.

I truly admire each of these young men and women that play collegiate sports, especially today. I will criticize plays and a defense or offensive series or game, but I try to not criticize players directly, if I can. The young men on the Cats are performing at a level most of us could only dream of playing.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:31 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Lovethecats75 wrote:Judging from the game yesterday i have to ask. What Sr is not replaceable next year?

There is no one that is irreplaceable, but Mac Bignell is probably the closest the Cats have to that one guy. He produces game after game like no one else does on the team. Sure, Mac can make mistakes, but so does every top player in any league.
Before this year I would have said Bignell and McCabe were the most "irreplaceable" of the seniors. Now I'd say Bignell only. McCabe hasn't looked like himself this year. He's made a lot of tackles sure, but he isn't putting fear into the hearts of receivers crossing the middle like he used to.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:50 pm

I'd say Mac, then Mahoney.

onceacat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by onceacat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:17 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

Before this year I would have said Bignell and McCabe were the most "irreplaceable" of the seniors. Now I'd say Bignell only. McCabe hasn't looked like himself this year. He's made a lot of tackles sure, but he isn't putting fear into the hearts of receivers crossing the middle like he used to.
There's no such thing as an irreplaceable player in college football. You lose half your starters (or you should, unless you are as young as the Cats) every single year. If you are going to compete in the FCS playoffs, you probably need 1-2 legit NFL prospects and a handful of All-Americans. Add in another 5-6 all-BSC guys, and you have a competitive team.

EWU replaced Vernon Adams and Cooper Kupp. NDSU replaced Carson Wentz.

No such thing as an irreplaceable player.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:30 am

Of course there is no such thing as an irreplaceable player, since you have to replace them all. I'm looking at it as, who are the players we don't have a comparable replacement for. Yes Ndsu "replaced" Wentz, because he graduated and they had to line someone up at QB. But they don't have another Wentz on their roster. Nor does EWU have another Kupp. MSU "replaced" Brad Daly but we haven't had a legit edge rusher since he left.