Playoff Run

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catgrad05
Member # Retired

Playoff Run

Post by catgrad05 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:26 pm

OK I know I am probably going to get blasted for even suggesting a playoff run but hear me out.

If the cats win out we will be 7-4 on the year. I do not think any team in the country will have "better" losses than what we just went through. All of our losses will have been to top 25 teams. I do not see Washington State, South Dakota State, Weber or Eastern Washington not being in the top 25 by the time the playoff field will be announced. With winning out we would have beaten an NAU team that upset a very good MVC team and more than likely a top 25 team from the west.

I have seen time and time again the playoff committee saying they take a teams current trend into account. If a team is on a 5 game winning streak that team would go in over a team that lost two in a row.

Can we make the playoffs if we win out? Absolutely. Do we have the talent to compete in every game here on out? Absolutely. Do we have a coaching staff that will put in a game specific plan each week to try to limit an opponents strengths and hide our weaknesses. I think we do. Do we have players that will give it their all each game? I have no doubt.

This was our last mulligan. To make the team goal of the playoffs they need to win out. Will we make the playoffs? Only time will tell but it is still a possibility. The MSU playoffs start next week and I will be pulling for this team n matter what from here on out. Win we are still alive, loose and its getting experience for next year.

Start a run next week. Go Cats

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: Playoff Run

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:04 pm

7-4 would get us in most likely, but SDSU is going to have that same record as we do if that's how we finish. They don't look nearly as good as it seemed they were. And I'm not saying life's over or we aren't going in the right direction, but I don't think we win in Flagstaff. And UNC is going to be a tough game too. I don't think we lose another home game, but it all depends on what team shows up each drive honestly.

BelgradeBobcat
Golden Bobcat

Post by BelgradeBobcat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:14 pm

We're not going 7-4. We are most likely going to have a third straight losing season. This team has a long ways to go. Their execution on both sides and special teams it's terrible. How many third and forever's has this defense given up? It's appalling.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:41 pm

I'm just hoping the Cats get it together and win next week. Then, I'll worry about the week after that and so on. End of year win/loss predictions and hopes for the playoffs are really just a waste of time. This isn't a play off team anyway.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:29 pm

catgrad05 wrote:OK I know I am probably going to get blasted for even suggesting a playoff run but hear me out.

If the cats win out we will be 7-4 on the year. I do not think any team in the country will have "better" losses than what we just went through. All of our losses will have been to top 25 teams. I do not see Washington State, South Dakota State, Weber or Eastern Washington not being in the top 25 by the time the playoff field will be announced. With winning out we would have beaten an NAU team that upset a very good MVC team and more than likely a top 25 team from the west.

I have seen time and time again the playoff committee saying they take a teams current trend into account. If a team is on a 5 game winning streak that team would go in over a team that lost two in a row.

Can we make the playoffs if we win out? Absolutely. Do we have the talent to compete in every game here on out? Absolutely. Do we have a coaching staff that will put in a game specific plan each week to try to limit an opponents strengths and hide our weaknesses. I think we do. Do we have players that will give it their all each game? I have no doubt.

This was our last mulligan. To make the team goal of the playoffs they need to win out. Will we make the playoffs? Only time will tell but it is still a possibility. The MSU playoffs start next week and I will be pulling for this team n matter what from here on out. Win we are still alive, loose and its getting experience for next year.

Start a run next week. Go Cats
I believe we'll win the next 3. After our losses to Weber and sdsu, we were always going to have to win either at eastern or at NAU. Will the 3 wins in a row (assuming we get them) have this team in a place mentally to finally finish the climb in a tough situation? Ultimately I doubt it, I suspect we lose that game, but were we to win, what a shot that would give us against UM. This is all hypothetical obviously, and I suspect we ultimately come up short and finish 5-6, but it's not impossible to game out your scenario, for sure.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:40 pm

BelgradeBobcat wrote:We're not going 7-4. We are most likely going to have a third straight losing season. This team has a long ways to go. Their execution on both sides and special teams it's terrible. How many third and forever's has this defense given up? It's appalling.

We have always sucked on third and long. We are better see stopping 3rd and 1 then we are 3rd and 15+. I think this team could make a playoff run, I think we have the ability to win the rest of our games. Today was the first game this season that I felt like we played kind of like we did last year. Made a lot of stupid mistakes, didn’t take advantage of turnovers. We are close, just need to clean things up and get things rolling early instead of late in the game.

Punters are people too!!

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:50 pm

SUU is kicking Webs butt.....29-13
start of the 4th Qtr

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:52 pm

Catastrophy11 wrote:SUU is kicking Webs butt.....29-13
start of the 4th Qtr
Neat.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 pm

catgrad05 wrote: I do not see Washington State, South Dakota State, Weber or Eastern Washington not being in the top 25 by the time the playoff field will be announced....
:-$

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:58 pm

Catastrophy11 wrote:
catgrad05 wrote: I do not see Washington State, South Dakota State, Weber or Eastern Washington not being in the top 25 by the time the playoff field will be announced....
Where is Valparaiso and Savannah State ranked?

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Catastrophy11 wrote:
Where is Valparaiso and Savannah State ranked?
Right down there with the Cats.....where else?
Although Valpo has more wins....
Last edited by Catastrophy11 on Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:10 pm

The Cats would also be 5-2 with your schedule.

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Hawks86 wrote:The Cats would also be 5-2 with your schedule.
Doubt the Cats would be 1-6 with Valpo's schedule.....

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:28 pm

Obsession for Ursa2 with CATS continues...

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 pm

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:33 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
Classic..... :unsure:

mtgrizfankb
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by mtgrizfankb » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:20 am

Disagree, I think MSU would have lost on the road at PSU and good chance would have lost on the road at ISU. Griz could be overrated. We will see when they play Weber on the road then NAU. I don't think Weber is as good as advertised but NAU can be dangerous. As for MSU making the playoffs....no. But you should beat UNC and kennesaw I think. I'm surprised how positive the fans are with a 6-11 coach at the helm....even Dave Arnold had a better win loss record

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:29 am

mtgrizfankb wrote:
Disagree, I think MSU would have lost on the road at PSU and good chance would have lost on the road at ISU. Griz could be overrated. We will see when they play Weber on the road then NAU. I don't think Weber is as good as advertised but NAU can be dangerous. As for MSU making the playoffs....no. But you should beat UNC and kennesaw I think. I'm surprised how positive the fans are with a 6-11 coach at the helm....even Dave Arnold had a better win loss record
I think we win in both those scenarios and definitely win both of your home OOC games. Some people can see what a coach is trying to build and some can't. Your own coach said it takes 3 years to build a program.

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:57 am

Kennesaw State is no cupcake.... they are 5-1
42-28 over Liberty Flames yesterday

http://www.ksuowls.com/schedule.aspx?path=fb

MSU Toddler

Post by MSU Toddler » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:28 pm

mtgrizfankb wrote:
Lots of griz fans beating their chest on BN the last few hours. Weird since didn't EWU set some sort of record for yards in their game against the griz? Didn't the griz lose at home (coldest and loudest stadium around) to EWU? I guess running over to Savannah State or Valpo's message board and talking smack wasn't satisfying enough? Funny - most people could give a crap about the griz (and won't after another late season meltdown or at best a bought and paid for first round game in the playoff game followed by a "yuge" loss). As a griz fan it is understandable that ALL you have is football with a failing university...sort of feel sorry for you all.

Never argue with an idiot. They bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.