I'm not one to usually complain about officiating...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: I'm not one to usually complain about officiating...

Post by Hawks86 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:56 pm

Catastrophy11 wrote:It's the Refs fault is Trending 4 - 2
Shouldn't you be out celebrating the big win over a team that we also beat?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Hawks86 wrote:
Catastrophy11 wrote:It's the Refs fault is Trending 4 - 2
Shouldn't you be out celebrating the big win over a team that we also beat?
Awesome ...Let's celebrate the Portland State wins too....

catnip
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by catnip » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 pm

How about the one play that started and the down markers weren't even close to being set??

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:03 pm

catnip wrote:How about the one play that started and the down markers weren't even close to being set??
Markers don't need to be set in order for play to be run.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl:

imacat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by imacat » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:39 pm

snowxlt wrote:I agree about officiating...Big Scare referees at their finest...Hard to keep overcoming bad officials too which can cause players to press harder....4 TO's and bad play calling in first half didnt help either....coaches need to quit trying to not lose games, and play to win early on in games with better play calling.
Play calling continues to be a major issue ... this is a coaching issue.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:45 am

Do you mean the plays that are called or getting the plays in on time?

I personally think the latter. Just so many times we take forever to get that play in and the offense looks rushed or can't continue its rhythm. I remember at one point someone mentioning after a timeout they should have 2-3 plays ready to go in a 2-minute-like situation. I get they want a look at the defense before they snap but sometimes the most effective way to beat a defense is to not let them take breaks between plays. Especially a team as thin as EWU on defense.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

Woodenshoe
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Woodenshoe » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:22 am

This is the second game in a row that I've found myself wondering if the refs are watching the same game we are. But the crew in Cheney were especially awful. Don't know what's going on with the refs lately but I sure hope the conference will at least recognize the problem and get it fixed.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 11:51 am

Officiating doesn't lose games. Good teams win regardless. Good teams overcome that kind of stuff. For example, we get EWU into a 3rd and 27 and they get 25 yards, and then pick up the 1st. That's a good team overcoming a major problem to get it done.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

John K
Golden Bobcat

Post by John K » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:01 pm

CelticCat wrote:Officiating doesn't lose games. Good teams win regardless. Good teams overcome that kind of stuff. For example, we get EWU into a 3rd and 27 and they get 25 yards, and then pick up the 1st. That's a good team overcoming a major problem to get it done.

I agree 100%. You go into every game knowing that it's probably not going to be perfectly officiated. You'd like to think that the bad calls would essentially even out over the course of the game, and most of the time they do, but not always. You have to strive to play well enough so that you have a a little margin for error, in case more calls go against you rather than for you. That's all you can do...that and not let bad calls get into your head so that they don't negatively impact the way you play going forward.

Counter Assault
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Counter Assault » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:43 pm

I agree with all the mentions about the offensive play calling. I cringe nearly every time the offense does the pause and look-back for the play. They do it too much. That strategy was initiated by Oregon when they ran Kelly's blazing fast offense years ago. But when Oregon got into a rhythm, they wouldn't do the look back much. The Cats are doing that stupid look-back ALL THE TIME. It disrupts their MOJO!!!

I also don't think its completely play calling. We have also had some pretty sweet series and games overall. Penalties have KILLED our offensive momentum all year and its seems like we have those bugs now more than the beginning of the year. I was nearly Postal on that last series before the half against PSU when the line had like 4 false starts - KILLED IT. So, turnovers.... penalties..... if Choate can make these guys run enough laps to fix these issues, it will immensely help the offensive production.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:04 pm

Counter Assault wrote:I agree with all the mentions about the offensive play calling. I cringe nearly every time the offense does the pause and look-back for the play. They do it too much. That strategy was initiated by Oregon when they ran Kelly's blazing fast offense years ago. But when Oregon got into a rhythm, they wouldn't do the look back much. The Cats are doing that stupid look-back ALL THE TIME. It disrupts their MOJO!!!

I also don't think its completely play calling. We have also had some pretty sweet series and games overall. Penalties have KILLED our offensive momentum all year and its seems like we have those bugs now more than the beginning of the year. I was nearly Postal on that last series before the half against PSU when the line had like 4 false starts - KILLED IT. So, turnovers.... penalties..... if Choate can make these guys run enough laps to fix these issues, it will immensely help the offensive production.
I can tell you from experience extra conditioning does nothing to fix issues like this. And while it's not all play calling, the look back thing has contributed to some penalties, especially false starts. The line doesn't seem to know half the time when a new play is being called, and it's worse in the red zone when only the tackles can look over because the other 3 have their hand in the ground. I think 75% of the red zone false starts have been on Neale or the guards.

WalkOn79
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by WalkOn79 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:12 pm

BobcatBlood wrote:The one I hope they submit is the late hit on Murray in the 4th quarter. He got absolutely trucked well after throwing the ball. That's how players get really hurt. It has to be called.
That one really P---d me off as well. A suspension should be considered.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz

Devlan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Devlan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:17 pm

CelticCat wrote:Officiating doesn't lose games. Good teams win regardless. Good teams overcome that kind of stuff. For example, we get EWU into a 3rd and 27 and they get 25 yards, and then pick up the 1st. That's a good team overcoming a major problem to get it done.
This!

But, I do have a friend who is an Eastern fan who texted me during the game asking: "I wonder how much EWU paid the refs?"

Devlan Geddes

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Joe Bobcat » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:09 pm

Devlan wrote:
This!

But, I do have a friend who is an Eastern fan who texted me during the game asking: "I wonder how much EWU paid the refs?"
One eastern fan by us said, "Dear lord when we paid the refs we told them not to make it too obvious." Another said that he wanted his money back because he had paid good money for them to be subtle about it and that a particular "no call" was anything but subtle.
Such is life in the BSC.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!