The "Un-official/Official" Bobcat- eww Gamethread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CatsNoMatterWhat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Re: The "Un-official/Official" Bobcat- eww Gamethread

Post by CatsNoMatterWhat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:27 pm

Can't argue with stats. I'm just telling you man...this whole thing is going to work. Do you imagine us having a better coach?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:31 pm

4 - 2 and Trending...... :D

that's special

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: The

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:36 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:Can't argue with stats. I'm just telling you man...this whole thing is going to work. Do you imagine us having a better coach?

I don't imagine one way or the other, I just don't understand the blind faith some have in this particular coach? And trust me, I'm a coach defender. I'm a bears fan, and have actually defender the performance of Marc trestman, Jay Cutler, and John fox at various times ](*,) I'm not a coach hater, and I hope you're right that this works, we all want us to be good. But so far we're not good. We're continuing to compete, but also continuing the same mistakes and ultimately losing games because of those same mistakes (penalties, turnovers, poor red zone performance). All I know for sure is that ty can coach.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: The

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:38 pm

CatsNoMatterWhat wrote:Can't argue with stats. I'm just telling you man...this whole thing is going to work. Do you imagine us having a better coach?

I think most people agree we have the right man for the job, but it is becoming very clear that he has as much growing up to do as a head coach as this team does as a unit. Each game there are several things that make you scratch your head when it comes to decision making. Going for 2 when it was 24-13 today was a bonehead move, even if we had converted, we were still down 2 scores. Our 2 minute offense is laughable. I don't know what the deal is, but our redzone offense is terrible. Armstrong changes his philosophy down there for some reason and it doesn't work. I don't know if Coach Choate is part of that decision making, but he has to make a change happen.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:07 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:

I don't imagine one way or the other, I just don't understand the blind faith some have in this particular coach? And trust me, I'm a coach defender. I'm a bears fan, and have actually defender the performance of Marc trestman, Jay Cutler, and John fox at various times ](*,) I'm not a coach hater, and I hope you're right that this works, we all want us to be good. But so far we're not good. We're continuing to compete, but also continuing the same mistakes and ultimately losing games because of those same mistakes (penalties, turnovers, poor red zone performance). All I know for sure is that ty can coach.
You're in a very small minority if you think Choate is the problem.

marceag
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by marceag » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:13 pm

Good game today! Was impressed with the Bobcats toughness, when Eastern went up 24-7 MSU could have mailed it in, but had a helluva comeback. Love your coaching staff and fans, always class acts! I think we will see some great things out of your young team, good luck the rest of the way and I hope you guys make the playoffs.

60's Cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by 60's Cat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
canyoncat wrote:This team is so damn close to being special. Dumb youthful mistakes are just killing them.
You're wrong. They're already *special*. They have been for a long time.
Eagles fans are the next coming of NDSU fans and Griz fans, arrogant and classless. I see they had the 5th most attendance ever at Roos today with 11,000+. That was made possible when 2,000 MSU fans show up. Funny how a fan base with such a small following can be such an douchey group.
Plus, the stadium in Cheney is an embarrassment.

formerEag
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by formerEag » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:20 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
canyoncat wrote:This team is so damn close to being special. Dumb youthful mistakes are just killing them.
Eagles fans are the next coming of NDSU fans and Griz fans, arrogant and classless. I see they had the 5th most attendance ever at Roos today with 11,000+. That was made possible when 2,000 MSU fans show up. Funny how a fan base with such a small following can be such an douchey group.
When you live in or near Cheney, went to/ root for a school that will get you hired at Carl's Jr, and need an opposing team's fans to put atmosphere in your stadium, I can see how that would turn a person into a giant douche. They beat us today, let them gloat, it's literally the only thing they have in life.
And we're the second coming of grizz fans??? You guys are a meth joke away from making this place egrizz. We're dirty, the refs blew it, blah blah. Don't ruin my perhaps naive perception of Cat fans as the reasonable base in the treasure state. BTW- Eastern is a good school and provides great opportunity. My degree has allowed me tons of amazing opportunities and a really amazing career. That is the weakest of weak smack.

60's Cat

Post by 60's Cat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:24 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:

I think most people agree we have the right man for the job, but it is becoming very clear that he has as much growing up to do as a head coach as this team does as a unit. Each game there are several things that make you scratch your head when it comes to decision making. Going for 2 when it was 24-13 today was a bonehead move, even if we had converted, we were still down 2 scores. Our 2 minute offense is laughable. I don't know what the deal is, but our redzone offense is terrible. Armstrong changes his philosophy down there for some reason and it doesn't work. I don't know if Coach Choate is part of that decision making, but he has to make a change happen.
We must have subscribed to Ash's analytics in the decision to go for two.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:29 pm

formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
When you live in or near Cheney, went to/ root for a school that will get you hired at Carl's Jr, and need an opposing team's fans to put atmosphere in your stadium, I can see how that would turn a person into a giant douche. They beat us today, let them gloat, it's literally the only thing they have in life.
And we're the second coming of grizz fans??? You guys are a meth joke away from making this place egrizz. We're dirty, the refs blew it, blah blah. Don't ruin my perhaps naive perception of Cat fans as the reasonable base in the treasure state. BTW- Eastern is a good school and provides great opportunity. My degree has allowed me tons of amazing opportunities and a really amazing career. That is the weakest of weak smack.
Happy for you. I'll stipulate that I may have taken that one a bit far, but you can't tell me that Murray wasn't roughed, that Herbert wasn't interfered with on the wr pass, that your "first down" on the last drive was really a full yard short, etc. Prolly didn't cost us the game, but that was a horribly officiated game, and one sided horrible.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:30 pm

formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Every team has sh*tty fans. And the sh*tty ones are annoying and douchey when the team sucks, and even worse when the team is doing well. Yours are just on display more lately because of your success. We have them in Bozeman too, they are just quiet right now, for the most part. I for one still cheer for any Big Sky team not from Missoula when they aren't playing the Cats. I always thought that Eastern played with swag, but with class under Baldwin and coaches prior. I only watched the 4th quarter today and didn't see anything dirty, but that's just me. I think some folks are bitter because we pissed away a chance to beat a top 10 team, and a rival.

formerEag
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by formerEag » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:35 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
Happy for you. I'll stipulate that I may have taken that one a bit far, but you can't tell me that Murray wasn't roughed, that Herbert wasn't interfered with on the wr pass, that your "first down" on the last drive was really a full yard short, etc. Prolly didn't cost us the game, but that was a horribly officiated game, and one sided horrible.
If anyone says that one wasn't pass interfernce, they are lying. They hit on the qb was borderline. But there were tons of holds by your receivers that could have been called and lots of chippyness and late shoving from your guys all game too. Big sky refs are horrible as always. At least there were no phantom targeting calls.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:51 pm

formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
If anyone says that one wasn't pass interfernce, they are lying. They hit on the qb was borderline. But there were tons of holds by your receivers that could have been called and lots of chippyness and late shoving from your guys all game too. Big sky refs are horrible as always. At least there were no phantom targeting calls.
The officiating was very one sided. Even the EWU homer tv announcers commented on it, something like "if you're an MSU fan, you've gotta be scratching your head at this point."
We lost the game due to the turnovers in the red zone. But the officiating was atrocious, and heavily in EWU's favor.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:05 pm

The Herbert end zone play was obvious PI but he still could have caught it.

Now that I've cooled down and thought about it, I still believe we have a fundamental problem with this team. We don't know how to win. From the coaches to the punter, we don't know how to get out of our own way. I really hope the next few weeks provide the opportunity to learn. I don't see us making the playoffs but a winning season is doable. Honestly I think if the OC/DC can find their grooves it will translate to the players quickly. Playoffs start now. One game at a time. Go Cats!

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:07 pm

I get that people are mad, but every team we have played this year except for 1 has been rated, and pretty much rated in the top 10 (at some point). I know UND has fallen off the map, and PSU has struggled, but we have had a chance to pull of a win in every other game except for Wazzu. We are a young team, made a few mistakes, but I honestly think this team has was it takes to run the table and sneak into the playoffs. Don't forget that we also had our bye week early in the season and these kids have given everything they have the last few weeks against some very good teams.

Punters are people too!!

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:15 pm

Also want to add that I truly believe that if LaSane plays against SDSU and Weber State, we win both those games. I really hope that at the end of the season he really uses his ordeal as a teaching tool for the younger players on this team. Turnovers killed us today as they did last year in most of our games. Clean that up and win. Time to move on to UNC. That game will be a real test, but a win gets this team back on the right track.

Punters are people too!!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:16 pm

technoCat wrote:The Herbert end zone play was obvious PI but he still could have caught it.

Now that I've cooled down and thought about it, I still believe we have a fundamental problem with this team. We don't know how to win. From the coaches to the punter, we don't know how to get out of our own way. I really hope the next few weeks provide the opportunity to learn. I don't see us making the playoffs but a winning season is doable. Honestly I think if the OC/DC can find their grooves it will translate to the players quickly. Playoffs start now. One game at a time. Go Cats!
Yes, you're right, so far we're unwilling or unable to go get the win when it's gettable for us. Instead, it continues to be us that makes the critical mistake. I think we have a chance to learn that skill the next 3 games, but if we lose one of them the season could turn truly ugly. Hope we can get it going.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:11 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
technoCat wrote:The Herbert end zone play was obvious PI but he still could have caught it.

Yes, you're right, so far we're unwilling or unable to go get the win when it's gettable for us. Instead, it continues to be us that makes the critical mistake. I think we have a chance to learn that skill the next 3 games, but if we lose one of them the season could turn truly ugly. Hope we can get it going.
This team is young! Our QB is not only young and makes expected mistakes (he tries to hard to do it himself) but because of his tremendous athleticism he has been able to produce some amazing runs and results, but he is regressing in his passing game. I won't bang the Rovig drum yet because I think the die is cast for this season, and I don't want to burn his red-shirt.

The defence had a streaky/bad game. The 2nd half Defense was much better, but the first half defense was leaky and did not play well at all. I felt that we would get exposed a bit on the back end, but our back end was functional save some soft coverage lapses and giving up 33 on a 3rd and 37 was unacceptable. The LB's needed to play lights out, and they didn't. Mac's presence was noticebaly quiet. Hill played well, but you could tell he's been out. We sold out on stopping the deep balls on D and gave up the under throws and run gashes up the middle.

By this point of the season, we should have learned from our mistakes...but alas we are still learning. I like Choate and the staff, but so too are they learning. I felt like we didn't give Murray a chance to get any throws going after his horrible first half of 1-9 for 21 yards. I get that, but If he can't come ready to throw from down one then it's a head thing for him. When we're down and it's a prayer to come back,the pressure is off for the perfect throw and he makes a few. I am skeptical he can develop far enough into the passing concepts simply because he's too special as a runner. Just my opinion. I think the coaches feel it too and take the pass off the table when it's clear he isn't there yet. Maybe a good move, likely not based on Murray's performance.

The false starts, holding calls...turn overs...just a classic young team game that has seemed to not improve for some reason.

This game was ugly, the Cats did not give up, and pressed to win in the 4th which was great to see, but any hopes for winning out at this point are gone. It's going to be a nail biter the rest of the season. Fun, streaky, and...we shall see!

Screamin_Eagle174

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:24 pm

Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

:lol:

That's rich. Stadium/attendance smack... because your fans can dish it (Prediction thread, On to the Inferno thread), but can't take it. You've just gone full Griztard. Congrats!

2010 National Champions. 2 Walter Payton Winners. 2 Buck Buchanan Winners.

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:38 pm

Murray's numbers are a result of the offense being called and the defense played. I think people see other qbs with the gaudy stats against our d and wonder why Murray can't do that. Well he probably could if he was playing our defense. Our O doesn't require 80% completion to work. He needs to hit about 50% because everything he throws is designed to loosen the d so we can run. If 5-6 balls are not dropped today we probably win and he's got another 60-100 yards and a td. Granted a PI should have been called on two for sure. I'm sick of this talk like Rovig would just instantly turn our offense into EWU. Murray is the heart and soul of this offense and we only go as far as he takes us.

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN