The "Un-official/Official" Bobcat- eww Gamethread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: The "Un-official/Official" Bobcat- eww Gamethread

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:12 pm

utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
technoCat wrote:Murray's numbers are a result of the offense being called and the defense played. I think people see other qbs with the gaudy stats against our d and wonder why Murray can't do that. Well he probably could if he was playing our defense. Our O doesn't require 80% completion to work. He needs to hit about 50% because everything he throws is designed to loosen the d so we can run. If 5-6 balls are not dropped today we probably win and he's got another 60-100 yards and a td. Granted a PI should have been called on two for sure. I'm sick of this talk like Rovig would just instantly turn our offense into EWU. Murray is the heart and soul of this offense and we only go as far as he takes us.
I disagree. As your QB goes, so goes the offence! We have what we have because our QB is a tremendous runner/athlete and a less than functional passer. Put in a QB ( I don't care who ) who can hit Troy Andersen on the open flat for a conversion from the 5 yard line, with Murray in the backfield, or slot and get him 15 touches a game, and we immediately improve. Murray becomes the league MVP, we win games because the passing game opens up the running lanes that Murray runs through, and pitches are clean and not bobbled as often...and it makes a huge difference.
No offence but in real football it's spelled offense. Start with the basics before you graduate to making lineup decisions.
Unless of course, your computer was purchased from the UK!!! dim whit! I really don't mind the proper British English, but I get your narrow obsession on having to be right!

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Re: The

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:26 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
exppi wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
Common Cat wrote:Pretty sure we ran the ball to keep Gubrud off the field.
Thank you!!!

There are some football geniuses here who think we could win a track meet with Eastern Washington. That's not how you beat them.
Our offense will always be a run heavy scheme.
+1. Rovig isn't here to throw it 50 times a game. In Choate's best-selling case scenario, he's Brock Jensen or Carson Wentz, throwing 25-30 times for a team that runs it 50 a game. The reason Chris Murray is playing is because he's the most dynamic threat we have on our offense. He can score from anywhere, on an offense without a ton of speed otherwise. The fact that as the QB, his mistakes are magnified as much as his successes, is the nature of the position. But taking our most dynamic player out doesn't seem to be the answer, to me.
The problem right now is that 25-30 passes is at times <10. It's easier for a defense to hit you hard when you are one dimensional.
Different animals though. Murray can win games that way. Granted not enough yet, but he won as the QB in Missoula going 2-9. My point was regarding rovig only, and in my view how the staff sees the QB position and their philosophy long term. Near term I think we are what we are, and need to get Murray back to taking some schemed shot throws from the pocket or the edge, to loosen defenses up.
Goldstone, you are correct. If, and I believe honestly nothing is going to change this season, Murray remains as our QB, we need to see him take easy pedestrian shots with the ball to give him the basic confidence to at least make some throws. Choate is not going to ever be an air raid Offense but has already said he leans towards a smash mouth downhill run game. But, the QB has to be able to "deal it" out to the rest of the weapons to make the offensive side of the ball harder to defend for a D, and more explosive. I agree 100% with that.

Remembering back last year when Tyler B was the QB, Choate assumed that is the kind of game he would run. The problem was TB was ineffective in games and Murray gets thrown into the fire.

It was clear for 4 games Murray could not pass consistently, was turning the ball over way too much, but he could run like the wind. SO, Choate admitted they completely rewired the offence to fit Murray. This IS NOT WHAT he wants long term. But, this season Murray showed enough improvement to get the nod to stay at QB, and to make some throws.

Throw out the Coug game, but with SDSU in the first half it was terrible. But the 2nd half was 100% better. UND was the best and most complete game CM has played, and MSU blew them up!!! Why? Because he dealt the ball around, made plays BOTH with the run and pass and involved his playmakers. Since then????

We are starting to see a reversion back to the first half of SDSU Chris Murray...and MSU is losing games because of his decisions to not trust his arm, his playmakers.

He can still run like the wind...and is a tremendous athlete who needs to be on the field all game...but a QB who can be what Choate wants, will not only make the team better, but will see us get over the hump in the W-L categories.

Right now, we are a 1 winged bird...that can run pretty well!
Last edited by catsrback76 on Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:27 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
technoCat wrote:Murray's numbers are a result of the offense being called and the defense played. I think people see other qbs with the gaudy stats against our d and wonder why Murray can't do that. Well he probably could if he was playing our defense. Our O doesn't require 80% completion to work. He needs to hit about 50% because everything he throws is designed to loosen the d so we can run. If 5-6 balls are not dropped today we probably win and he's got another 60-100 yards and a td. Granted a PI should have been called on two for sure. I'm sick of this talk like Rovig would just instantly turn our offense into EWU. Murray is the heart and soul of this offense and we only go as far as he takes us.
I disagree. As your QB goes, so goes the offence! We have what we have because our QB is a tremendous runner/athlete and a less than functional passer. Put in a QB ( I don't care who ) who can hit Troy Andersen on the open flat for a conversion from the 5 yard line, with Murray in the backfield, or slot and get him 15 touches a game, and we immediately improve. Murray becomes the league MVP, we win games because the passing game opens up the running lanes that Murray runs through, and pitches are clean and not bobbled as often...and it makes a huge difference.
No offence but in real football it's spelled offense. Start with the basics before you graduate to making lineup decisions.
Unless of course, your computer was purchased from the UK!!! dim whit! I really don't mind the proper British English, but I get your narrow obsession on having to be right!
He's mad because he started the we have arrived thread, and we clearly haven't :lol:

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 10:30 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
He's mad because he started the we have arrived thread, and we clearly haven't :lol:
I know, eating crow is never fun!

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:28 am

formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
canyoncat wrote:This team is so damn close to being special. Dumb youthful mistakes are just killing them.
You're wrong. They're already *special*. They have been for a long time.
Eagles fans are the next coming of NDSU fans and Griz fans, arrogant and classless. I see they had the 5th most attendance ever at Roos today with 11,000+. That was made possible when 2,000 MSU fans show up. Funny how a fan base with such a small following can be such an douchey group.
When you live in or near Cheney, went to/ root for a school that will get you hired at Carl's Jr, and need an opposing team's fans to put atmosphere in your stadium, I can see how that would turn a person into a giant douche. They beat us today, let them gloat, it's literally the only thing they have in life.
And we're the second coming of grizz fans??? You guys are a meth joke away from making this place egrizz. We're dirty, the refs blew it, blah blah. Don't ruin my perhaps naive perception of Cat fans as the reasonable base in the treasure state. BTW- Eastern is a good school and provides great opportunity. My degree has allowed me tons of amazing opportunities and a really amazing career. That is the weakest of weak smack.
Don't take it too seriously. There are a few fans here that fall apart and can't handle it when our team isn't playing well or we lose. And a few who can never resist taking the bait when a troll drops by. Throw in a guy like creamingbeagle (for years he's acted like an e-griz style griz fan) and they lose it.

Every fan base has a few, and the internet, anonymity, etc. makes it hard to not see some embarrassing posts on a fan site like this.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 am

catsrback76 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Not mad at all, maybe disappointed.

Really is a bummer that you supposed " Cat fans" are gloating that we haven't "arrived." We are a step away and I saw some things early in the season that made me believe we would make that step. I'm still hopeful we will but some of what I thought we were capable of is clearly off the table and I'll eat all the crow you like.

Everyday of the week I'd rather be my over optimistic Cat loving self than sit around like you tools and cry because our incredibly gifted QB doesn't do everything perfectly every time, or our vastly improved defense doesn't stop every team on every down, oh and how about that passionate coaching staff who preaches character and toughness while leading by example but doesn't make the perfect decision every single time. You guys go ahead and enjoy the fact that maybe we aren't quite there yet. Enjoy it while you can because this team is moving the right direction and soon you'll be in the unfortunate situation of having a contender and then what will you cry about all week?

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:08 am

Awesome post utucats.

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:21 am

Just get better every day. Can’t ask for more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by GoldstoneCat » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:32 am

catbooster wrote:
formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:
canyoncat wrote:This team is so damn close to being special. Dumb youthful mistakes are just killing them.
Eagles fans are the next coming of NDSU fans and Griz fans, arrogant and classless. I see they had the 5th most attendance ever at Roos today with 11,000+. That was made possible when 2,000 MSU fans show up. Funny how a fan base with such a small following can be such an douchey group.
When you live in or near Cheney, went to/ root for a school that will get you hired at Carl's Jr, and need an opposing team's fans to put atmosphere in your stadium, I can see how that would turn a person into a giant douche. They beat us today, let them gloat, it's literally the only thing they have in life.
And we're the second coming of grizz fans??? You guys are a meth joke away from making this place egrizz. We're dirty, the refs blew it, blah blah. Don't ruin my perhaps naive perception of Cat fans as the reasonable base in the treasure state. BTW- Eastern is a good school and provides great opportunity. My degree has allowed me tons of amazing opportunities and a really amazing career. That is the weakest of weak smack.
Don't take it too seriously. There are a few fans here that fall apart and can't handle it when our team isn't playing well or we lose. And a few who can never resist taking the bait when a troll drops by. Throw in a guy like creamingbeagle (for years he's acted like an e-griz style griz fan) and they lose it.

Every fan base has a few, and the internet, anonymity, etc. makes it hard to not see some embarrassing posts on a fan site like this.
I already told mr. formereag I took that one a bit too far, which I stand by. I have a tendency to jump into troll fights, which is dumb. Having never been one who trolls others' boards, it pisses me off when these guys come here after beating us, but alas, I let it get the best of me again. If you look further down that original thread you'll see me backtrack that one a bit, which I stand by. Still think their stadium sucks though, it would actually benefit the league for the best team to have anything better than that place. Good win by them, bad play by us, and bad message board behavior by me. Oh well. Flush it, on to next week. 8)

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:32 am

utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Really is a bummer that you supposed " Cat fans" are gloating that we haven't "arrived." We are a step away and I saw some things early in the season that made me believe we would make that step. I'm still hopeful we will but some of what I thought we were capable of is clearly off the table and I'll eat all the crow you like.

Everyday of the week I'd rather be my over optimistic Cat loving self than sit around like you tools and cry because our incredibly gifted QB doesn't do everything perfectly every time, or our vastly improved defense doesn't stop every team on every down, oh and how about that passionate coaching staff who preaches character and toughness while leading by example but doesn't make the perfect decision every single time. You guys go ahead and enjoy the fact that maybe we aren't quite there yet. Enjoy it while you can because this team is moving the right direction and soon you'll be in the unfortunate situation of having a contender and then what will you cry about all week?
You're not mad but you're on here calling people tools? I was poking fun at you earlier with my comment because you felt it necessary to correct the correct English version of a word we Americans changed (offence and offense). I for one haven't been crying about anything, and have also been overly optimistic throughout the year. It's just becoming a little clearer that everyone from the players to the head coach, have some learning to do. Every time we step on the field we have a chance to win though, and that's no mistake. So cool your jets ut.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:13 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
catbooster wrote:
formerEag wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:

I already told mr. formereag I took that one a bit too far, which I stand by. I have a tendency to jump into troll fights, which is dumb. Having never been one who trolls others' boards, it pisses me off when these guys come here after beating us, but alas, I let it get the best of me again. If you look further down that original thread you'll see me backtrack that one a bit, which I stand by. Still think their stadium sucks though, it would actually benefit the league for the best team to have anything better than that place. Good win by them, bad play by us, and bad message board behavior by me. Oh well. Flush it, on to next week. 8)
I was really just intending to grab FormerEag's post, but yours was in the nest. Kudos for reconsidering what you said.

As far as their stadium, I think this shows how good we have it. I haven't been to lots of FCS venues all over, but from what I've seen and heard, theirs is probably more typical of what's out there.

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:27 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

You're not mad but you're on here calling people tools? I was poking fun at you earlier with my comment because you felt it necessary to correct the correct English version of a word we Americans changed (offence and offense). I for one haven't been crying about anything, and have also been overly optimistic throughout the year. It's just becoming a little clearer that everyone from the players to the head coach, have some learning to do. Every time we step on the field we have a chance to win though, and that's no mistake. So cool your jets ut.
Don't act like you are put off by namecalling. You felt the need to opine in support of a poster who called me a "dim whit". I was okay with that, my whit may indeed be dim compared to crb76 and his sophisticated British computer.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:50 pm

utucats wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:
utucats wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:

Don't act like you are put off by namecalling. You felt the need to opine in support of a poster who called me a "dim whit". I was okay with that, my whit may indeed be dim compared to crb76 and his sophisticated British computer.
I didn't say anything about being offended you called us tools. Just used that as an example of you being mad. You took this a little far considering I was just doing some good natured ribbing by giving you a hard time about the we have arrived thread. Would it have made you less angry if I hadn't used the "quote" function?

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:57 pm

I wouldn't be offended by someone calling you a dim whit if they don't know how to properly spell dim wit.
Last edited by AFCAT on Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:01 pm

AFCAT wrote:I wouldn't be offended by someone calling you a dim whit if they don't know how to spell dim wit properly.
:lol: =D^

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:06 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:I wouldn't be offended by someone calling you a dim whit if they don't know how to spell dim wit properly.
:lol: =D^
:D Aye, ya got me on that one. There is a whit of a difference between wit and whit phonetically for sure, and yet when used properly that difference is not truly a whit in meaning. Teaching my computer the difference in spell check is something I don't have the wit to do, but for some it is a whit of common knowledge. Alas, I truly hope the Cats have the wit to win and not the whit to lose!

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:07 pm

AFCAT wrote:I wouldn't be offended by someone calling you a dim whit if they don't know how to properly spell dim wit.
Figured it was the Queen's English :shrug: