MSU VS EWU Predictions

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU VS EWU Predictions

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 am

marceag wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:Eastern fans are becoming almost as unbearable as Griz fans. Soon enough they will be claiming they started the colored turf craze, and that God has proclaimed them the Masters of the Big Sky.

Also all you EaGal fans who think you're going to blow us apart defensively, you scored 41 last year, and our D is better this year.
I understand that, but you have to look at what Eastern fans see. Eastern is 30-10 all time against MSU, 21 out of the last 26. Eastern hasn't lost a conference game since 2015, has won 4 out of the last 5 conference titles, has won 4 in a row this year and is ranked #9 in the country playing at home. MSU is 2-3, not ranked or getting votes and your two wins are against PSU who hasn't won a game all year and UND who is basically playing their JV team.

I think nearly every fan on eastern's side completely respects MSU, we love the game and the small rivalry it has turned into. I also think both sides are underestimating how good the other team really is. Nearly all MSU fans on this board are predicting the bobcats win, and nearly every EWU fans is predicting a blowout. Hopefully we see a good game saturday between two good teams...
I think it will be a great game. I predicted a Cats win in this thread 38-34. I picked Eastern in our weekly pick em thread. I know we can win, and I also know we can lose. It just gets me people like clawman predicting 50+ points on the one of the best Ds in the conference. I think it was you that referenced the Sac State game earlier, 52-31 I think? Sac State is 8th in the conference in Total D, 11th in scoring D. UM game 48-41. The Griz are dead last in total D, 8th in scoring D. Davis game 41-38. Davis is 6th in total and scoring D. This weekend you are facing the leader in total D, and #3 in scoring D. Even with the issues we seem to have had with the passing game, we're still 4th in Pass D! Same category, Davis 7th, Sac and UM 12th and 13th! I will he amazed if you guys put up 40. You guys are 7th in scoring D, 12th in total D, 9th in rush D.

We are 2nd in rush offense. You gave up 307 to Sac State who is #1. They also haven't played anyone good defensively. PSU is 4th in total D, and we still scored 30, could have easily been 40 if we had gotten out of our own way. I'll be amazed if we don't score 35+. I think Eastern fans should be more afraid than they are.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:13 am

marceag wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:Eastern fans are becoming almost as unbearable as Griz fans. Soon enough they will be claiming they started the colored turf craze, and that God has proclaimed them the Masters of the Big Sky.

Also all you EaGal fans who think you're going to blow us apart defensively, you scored 41 last year, and our D is better this year.
I understand that, but you have to look at what Eastern fans see. Eastern is 30-10 all time against MSU, 21 out of the last 26. Eastern hasn't lost a conference game since 2015, has won 4 out of the last 5 conference titles, has won 4 in a row this year and is ranked #9 in the country playing at home. MSU is 2-3, not ranked or getting votes and your two wins are against PSU who hasn't won a game all year and UND who is basically playing their JV team.

I think nearly every fan on eastern's side completely respects MSU, we love the game and the small rivalry it has turned into. I also think both sides are underestimating how good the other team really is. Nearly all MSU fans on this board are predicting the bobcats win, and nearly every EWU fans is predicting a blowout. Hopefully we see a good game saturday between two good teams...
What? Did you even look at the predictions? I'm not going to tally them all up but I'm seeing a LOT of Bobcat fans picking EWU in this one (Because as a group we tend to be much more realistic in our expectations).

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:24 am

marceag wrote:

Not true that nearly all MSU fans are picking MSU to win. If you look at the score prediction thread, almost half the MSU fans picked EWU to win.

Everyone here respects your team. We know they're good. We know Gubrud is awesome.

EWU is a double digit favorite at home, and that's fair. But it doesn't mean that MSU has no chance win the game. It would be an upset, but certainly wouldn't be the biggest upset in sports history. It probably wouldn't even be the biggest upset of the weekend. If you were an MSU fan, wouldn't you believe that your team had a chance to win???

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:21 pm

Ewu can't stop what the Cats are good at. The run. Even if you ignore the fact that the Eagles eked out wins over UM and Davis, that alone favors MSU. MSU is the most physical team EWU has faced since ndsu.

Look at some of their past games. They had one of their best teams ever last year. Lost to the two teams that ran it down their throats. YSU and Ndsu. YSU beat them up and wore them down. Trailed 31-20 entering fourth quarter. Scored the last three times they had the ball. 33 plays, 196 yards. 24 Rush 9 pass.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

MSU VS EWU Predictions

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:21 am

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:I think SWX is just a content group. Usually produced by SWX, aired by local affiliate (like KULR8).

Short answer, look for it on KULR8.
I hear ya on that. The one thing different this week is that the game is actually on two tv guides. Its on direct tv showing it will air on Kulr8 and if you go to SWX website its on their tv guide as well. Trying to decide if I can go up to Red Lodge and watch the game at a cabin or if I need to stay in Billings in order to watch it :-k .
It's listed both on Charter KWYB ABC (505) and SWX (199) here in Bozeman. But I know from a failed DVR experience that it will be on KWYB and not SWX. I wish SWX would quit double-listing the games when it is not true. KWYB is even scheduled for 3.5 hours and SWX has 3 hours.

Here is what Bethany Cordell said in an earlier thread:

"TELEVISION: ABC channels in every Montana market except Billings, where the game airs on SWX."

It's ridiculously confusing that Cowles is putting it in their channel guides to be on both channels, when that is not true — it is only on one! And Billings is an exception to the rest of the state.

Hope Bethany's statement is of some help to you.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:10 am

Team10 wrote:I'd like to think the Cats have a chance in this game, but the Cats weakness is the eguls strength. COVERAGE/PASSING. The first thing that comes to mind is the running back that leaks out of the back field right to where the middle backer has vacated. Wazu, SDSU and Weber all capitalized on that, and that was generally on 3rd downs. Down and distance, DOWN AND DISTANCE, is still something that doesn't come to the minds of players. Unless the Cats can shut that area down and put pressure on the QB along with keeping him from scrambling for long 1st down conversions this is going to be a long, high scoring game.
I have to agree about our pass defense weakness, especially being soft in the middle of the field in every game so far - EWU presents a threat with their entire passing game so this game ought to be similar to the WSU game, although I think we will give up more points. In a similar fashion, I don't believe EWU will have an answer for our offense (if the o-line can play a clean game) either so am looking for a bit of a shoot out on this one.

MSU- 35
EWU- 42

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:27 am

Another good matchup will be EWU's pass game vs. MSU's pass defense near the goal line. The longest pass play vs. MSU has been 40 yards and they've only allowed two TD passes (both late in the PSU game) the last four games.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:03 am

codecat wrote:
Team10 wrote:I'd like to think the Cats have a chance in this game, but the Cats weakness is the eguls strength. COVERAGE/PASSING. The first thing that comes to mind is the running back that leaks out of the back field right to where the middle backer has vacated. Wazu, SDSU and Weber all capitalized on that, and that was generally on 3rd downs. Down and distance, DOWN AND DISTANCE, is still something that doesn't come to the minds of players. Unless the Cats can shut that area down and put pressure on the QB along with keeping him from scrambling for long 1st down conversions this is going to be a long, high scoring game.
I have to agree about our pass defense weakness, especially being soft in the middle of the field in every game so far - EWU presents a threat with their entire passing game so this game ought to be similar to the WSU game, although I think we will give up more points. In a similar fashion, I don't believe EWU will have an answer for our offense (if the o-line can play a clean game) either so am looking for a bit of a shoot out on this one.

MSU- 35
EWU- 42
I don't know why we think that Gage Gubrud would do better than Luke Falk against our pass defense. Especially since we have a possession offense that couldn't get going against WSU, but is going to run all over EWU.

Not that Falk had a great showing last night, but I think that was an aberration in an otherwise standout career at the Fbs level.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:26 am

DriscollCat wrote:
codecat wrote:

MSU- 35
EWU- 42
I don't know why we think that Gage Gubrud would do better than Luke Falk against our pass defense. Especially since we have a possession offense that couldn't get going against WSU, but is going to run all over EWU.

Not that Falk had a great showing last night, but I think that was an aberration in an otherwise standout career at the Fbs level.
Gubrud could very well do better than Faulk did... MSU has 2 starting DBs injured, in Thomas and Henderson. That's what worries me most.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:34 am

EWU. 38
MSU. 28
DAMN!

2024 Resume dominance

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:46 am

91catAlum wrote:
DriscollCat wrote:
codecat wrote:

MSU- 35
EWU- 42

Gubrud could very well do better than Faulk did... MSU has 2 starting DBs injured, in Thomas and Henderson. That's what worries me most.
It is not out of the realm of possibility for Gubrud to perform better than Faulk. That being said, it is not a foregone conclusion. In fact it is not likely. Is Eastern a really good offense? Yes. Are they better than WSU - almost certainly not.

Screamin_Eagle174
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 1:26 pm

EWU 40-50
MSU 30-39

2010 National Champions. 2 Walter Payton Winners. 2 Buck Buchanan Winners.

Screamin_Eagle174
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Screamin_Eagle174 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:03 pm

Screamin_Eagle174 wrote:EWU 40-50
MSU 30-39
Nailed it! Lol. If it weren't for all the turnovers that is.

2010 National Champions. 2 Walter Payton Winners. 2 Buck Buchanan Winners.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:45 pm

clawman wrote:Of the 1200+ yards rushing this season over 500 were by their QB. The Cats average 250 yds per game rushing and 134 YPG passing. They have averaged 24 points per game, why is that going to increase dramatically this game??? While Murray is quick and evasive I do not see him able to break big plays like one of our receivers can. Given the nature of their offense I do not believe they can keep up with our offense.
Can Cats slow our offense down to their level? Doubt it. They would have to cut our offensive production in half. The Griz did a good job of keeping a lid on our receivers but they ran wild under that lid. . I stand by my earlier prediction, I think we can score 50+points and our defense can keep them in the 20's.
50+ points, huh?

ewuranger29
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by ewuranger29 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:06 pm

iaafan wrote:Ewu can't stop what the Cats are good at. The run. Even if you ignore the fact that the Eagles eked out wins over UM and Davis, that alone favors MSU. MSU is the most physical team EWU has faced since ndsu.

Look at some of their past games. They had one of their best teams ever last year. Lost to the two teams that ran it down their throats. YSU and Ndsu. YSU beat them up and wore them down. Trailed 31-20 entering fourth quarter. Scored the last three times they had the ball. 33 plays, 196 yards. 24 Rush 9 pass.
Coach Best has placed more emphasis on running the ball. It's probably not something that would be easily noticed when you look at the box scores of some of our games, but we can run the ball. That said, I would not have guessed that we'd out-gain MSU on the ground and end up with more yards rushing than passing.

I think Choate has MSU headed in the right direction, but the offense needs to develop more balance between run/pass. I've heard Choate mention that he doesn't want to throw the ball if he can continue to be successful in the running game, but today you guys really needed a passing game that was only there sporadically.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:16 pm

Congrats to EWU. They have assumed what used to be Montana's in the BSC for football. They did what they had to win. How do you fumble two plays after a fumble recovery and lose the opportunity for the go ahead score? Argghhh! I felt like I was watching a Cat-Griz game from the past.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:26 pm

bobcat92 wrote:Congrats to EWU. They have assumed what used to be Montana's in the BSC for football. They did what they had to win. How do you fumble two plays after a fumble recovery and lose the opportunity for the go ahead score? Argghhh! I felt like I was watching a Cat-Griz game from the past.
Eastern owns us more than the Griz ever have.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:31 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
bobcat92 wrote:Congrats to EWU. They have assumed what used to be Montana's in the BSC for football. They did what they had to win. How do you fumble two plays after a fumble recovery and lose the opportunity for the go ahead score? Argghhh! I felt like I was watching a Cat-Griz game from the past.
Umm, EWU owns pretty much every team in this conference. Not just MSU.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:16 pm

91catAlum wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Umm, EWU owns pretty much every team in this conference. Not just MSU.
Maybe over the last 10 years or so.