On to the Inferno

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: On to the Inferno

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:39 pm

marceag wrote:
iaafan wrote:Yes, their offense has looked good, but there's no denying that they're not performing at the same level as last year.

They beat Washington State last year 45-42; lost to Texas Tech 10-56. -49
They lost to ndsu 44-50 on road in overtime last year; lost to ndsu 13-40 at home this year. -21
They beat Davis 63-30 last year; beat them 41-38 this year. -30
Beat UM 35-16 last year; beat them 48-41 this year. -12

They may beat us, but we do have a good chance to win.
Eastern lost their 3 starting receivers (including their best player of all time), head coach, OC, and most of the remaining coaches on offense from last year. Best started this year as a first year head coach, and eastern brought in a first year OC...It took some time to get the O going, but its rolling right now. Unfortunately Eastern started the year playing against 2 teams that no one else (except maybe JMU) would have won against either. NDSU is 5-0 with an average margin of victory of 45, Texas Tech is 4-1 in the FBS. Davis is also much improved this year and winning IN missoula is never easy, especially when down 18 at half, but Eastern pulled it off. Come Saturday, you will see a much improved Eastern Offense which is absolutely rolling right now...
That is why it is imperative to run the ball down the Eagles throats this week. Shorten the game and the number of possessions EW gets in the game and we will have a good chance. The Cats absolutely need to have the KILLER INSTINCT on the ground and in the RED ZONE as we will need to put up more points than we usually do this week. EW gives up 220+ a game on the ground. The Cats need to dictate to them and not the other way around. We have to have good play by ALL 3 phases (O/D/SPECIAL TEAMS). If we can play like we did in the second half of the SDSU game and UND games this is going to be one heck of a fun game to watch.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:01 pm

https://twitter.com/EWUFootball/status/917870316151386112

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:18 pm

https://twitter.com/srjimallen/status/917910927625764865

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:47 am

Keys to the game:

1. Finish drives. I think we can move the ball, we've proven that this year, but we haven't proven we can finish in the red zone. We are 11th in the conference in Red Zone offense. EWU is 6th in Red Zone defense. If we march down the field, settle for a FG and more importantly MISS like we have been, we will lose badly.

2. Control the clock. As pointed out by other posters and Eagle fans, EWU is dead last in TOP but yet here they are a top 10 team, winning ball games. But it is imperative to keep our defense fresh.

3. Win the turnover battle. EWU is dead last in their turnover margin, they've turned it over 14 times, and only created 5 turnovers. On the flip side, we've only take the ball away 4 times, but have only given it up 4 times.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Team10
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Team10 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 am

Double post from the Prediction topic.

I'd like to think the Cats have a chance in this game, but the Cats weakness is the eguls strength. Cats COVERAGE vs eguls PASSING. The first thing that comes to mind is the running back that leaks out of the back field right to where the middle backer has vacated. Wazu, SDSU and Weber all capitalized on that, and that was generally on 3rd downs. Down and distance, DOWN AND DISTANCE, is still something that doesn't come to the minds of players. Unless the Cats can shut that area down and put pressure on the QB along with keeping him from scrambling for long 1st down conversions this is going to be a long, high scoring game.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:02 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/EWUFootball/status/917870316151386112
Not sure where I got the idea but I thought you could not wear uni colors that matched the turf: Boise blue and ewu red?

msubobcats@outlook.com
Audiatur et altura pars: Let both sides be fairly heard.
Audi alteram partem: listen to the other side.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:04 pm

RickRund wrote:
Not sure where I got the idea but I thought you could not wear uni colors that matched the turf: Boise blue and ewu red?
The NCAA ruled in 2013 it's okay to do that.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:09 pm

Very intriguing matchup. A clash of contrasting styles. Difficult to say who has the upper hand. MSU seems on the verge of busting loose at any moment, while EW has been the BSC flagship for 7+ years. The Bobcats have their backs to the wall, but EW is at home.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:31 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
When Boise originally joined the Mountain West the conference passed a rule that said they couldn't wear all blue in conference games. When Boise almost left the MW for the Big East the MW dropped the rule. At the same time the NCAA was going to pass a general rule about not allowing uniforms that didn't in some way contrast to the playing surface. That rule didn't pass however and so as Tom said, nothing on the books against it.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

golden77
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by golden77 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:06 pm

That would have been a stupid rule. If your colors were green you wouldn't be able to wear green jerseys and pants on a green field.

bpcats20
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by bpcats20 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:31 pm

This is a matchup for the Cats. We don’t have the secondary to hold up against them. No legit and consistent pass rush threat, Murray took a step backwards in passing fundamentals. We are year two of program vs establish program. Don’t think out wide receivers can get open enough for Murray to be affective.

The Cats are headed in the right direction and have made tremendous progress. We might scare the Eagles but we are not ready to take the win this weekend.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:31 pm

bpcats20 wrote:This is a matchup for the Cats. We don’t have the secondary to hold up against them. No legit and consistent pass rush threat, Murray took a step backwards in passing fundamentals. We are year two of program vs establish program. Don’t think out wide receivers can get open enough for Murray to be affective.

The Cats are headed in the right direction and have made tremendous progress. We might scare the Eagles but we are not ready to take the win this weekend.
I think it's good matchup for MSU along both the OL and DL. MSU should be able to get its run game going. Defensively, MSU plays physical, which can change an offense.

toM StUber

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:51 am

Yes, MSU has a solid OL and DL. And it isn't like there's no talent at other positions. This is a good matchup. MSU's biggest weakness is beating itself.

DriscollCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by DriscollCat » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:00 am

+1. Preach it.

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:32 am

Here are some stats from the EWU vs UCD game last week which EWU won 41-38 where EWU had to come from behind and score with < 2min left to win;
*UCD had a TOP advantage of 37 min to 23 min…..+14minutes
*UCD had 551 total yards of offense vs 501 for EWU…..+50 yards
*UCD had no turnovers where EWU threw 2 interceptions….+2 in turnovers
*Here’s the kicker…UCD had 104 (not a misprint) plays to EWU 77 plays….+27 plays.

I didn’t watch the game, but from these stats it’s a ‘head scratcher’ how UCD lost.

One thing is for sure, we can’t win in a shoot-out. Normally I’d say if we control the clock (i.e. 10+ min in TOP), out gain our opponent in total yards, and win the turnover battle we’d win 98% of the time.

Some BSC stats that jump out is that EWU is last in TOP at 26 minutes a game, but they’re 1st in total offense and 3rd in scoring offense (would likely be 1st if they had another cupcake on their schedule though). Which means they get down the field in big chunks. Against UCD, EWU had 5 different receivers catch passes of 20+ yards. Per our scheme so far this year, we’ll give the underneath pass to EWU all day long and make them work their way downfield. Unfortunately, I think EWU is designed to be able to take advantage of this.

FYI, NDSU who beat EWU 40-13, ran for 375 yards, held a TOP advantage of over 25 minutes and held EWU receivers to only 1 catch over 20 yards.

EWU is 12th (i.e. 2nd to last) in both scoring defense (37.8 ppg) and total defense (504 ypg). However, along with that we are 11th (i.e. 3rd to last) in both scoring offense (24.6 ppg) and total offense (385 ypg).

Looks like the weather will be sunny, 50 deg and ~ 10 mph winds, so hopefully we can get some effective passing going to keep their defense honest, and have another fantastic day running the ball. I think this will be a close one with both teams scoring ~ 30 points. I just don’t have a warm fuzzy feeling we can pull off a close win on the road……I think our FG & PAT kicking could haunt us in this one. IF we do play mistake free football we can certainly win.

It sounds like Josh Hill will be back this week. Does anyone know the status of JoJo Henderson? GO CATS!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:57 am

The MICKSTER wrote:Here are some stats from the EWU vs UCD game last week which EWU won 41-38 where EWU had to come from behind and score with < 2min left to win;
*UCD had a TOP advantage of 37 min to 23 min…..+14minutes
*UCD had 551 total yards of offense vs 501 for EWU…..+50 yards
*UCD had no turnovers where EWU threw 2 interceptions….+2 in turnovers
*Here’s the kicker…UCD had 104 (not a misprint) plays to EWU 77 plays….+27 plays.

I didn’t watch the game, but from these stats it’s a ‘head scratcher’ how UCD lost.

One thing is for sure, we can’t win in a shoot-out. Normally I’d say if we control the clock (i.e. 10+ min in TOP), out gain our opponent in total yards, and win the turnover battle we’d win 98% of the time.

Some BSC stats that jump out is that EWU is last in TOP at 26 minutes a game, but they’re 1st in total offense and 3rd in scoring offense (would likely be 1st if they had another cupcake on their schedule though). Which means they get down the field in big chunks. Against UCD, EWU had 5 different receivers catch passes of 20+ yards. Per our scheme so far this year, we’ll give the underneath pass to EWU all day long and make them work their way downfield. Unfortunately, I think EWU is designed to be able to take advantage of this.

FYI, NDSU who beat EWU 40-13, ran for 375 yards, held a TOP advantage of over 25 minutes and held EWU receivers to only 1 catch over 20 yards.

EWU is 12th (i.e. 2nd to last) in both scoring defense (37.8 ppg) and total defense (504 ypg). However, along with that we are 11th (i.e. 3rd to last) in both scoring offense (24.6 ppg) and total offense (385 ypg).

Looks like the weather will be sunny, 50 deg and ~ 10 mph winds, so hopefully we can get some effective passing going to keep their defense honest, and have another fantastic day running the ball. I think this will be a close one with both teams scoring ~ 30 points. I just don’t have a warm fuzzy feeling we can pull off a close win on the road……I think our FG & PAT kicking could haunt us in this one. IF we do play mistake free football we can certainly win.

It sounds like Josh Hill will be back this week. Does anyone know the status of JoJo Henderson? GO CATS!
I watched it, UCD's Defense ran out of gas in the 4th and couldn't stop Gubrud. UCD just didn't have the Depth to keep EWU at bay.

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:25 pm

kmax wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
When Boise originally joined the Mountain West the conference passed a rule that said they couldn't wear all blue in conference games. When Boise almost left the MW for the Big East the MW dropped the rule. At the same time the NCAA was going to pass a general rule about not allowing uniforms that didn't in some way contrast to the playing surface. That rule didn't pass however and so as Tom said, nothing on the books against it.
I didn't get that memo!!! I was really behind the times.

msubobcats@outlook.com

RickRund
Golden Bobcat

Post by RickRund » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:27 pm

golden77 wrote:That would have been a stupid rule. If your colors were green you wouldn't be able to wear green jerseys and pants on a green field.

Always was curious about the blue/red rule and why green wasn't an issue.

msubobcats@outlook.com

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by MSUBOBCAT4LIFE » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:52 pm

RickRund wrote:
kmax wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I thought i heard that was a rule as well. It is a clear advantage for them, i have been to the last game there when they sported the same all red. It was difficult to see guys from a fan standpoint. Its a clear advantage and thats why they are wearing all red. It shouldnt be allowed as no other teams are allowed to have colored fields, so they should have to wear off colored jerseys. That being said it would make it all that much better by beating them into the red turf they call the inferno. The ugliest field i have every watched a game on. Go CATS

I Bleed Blue & Gold & Find Myself Watching Replays Of The Game The Day After Being There In Person. Some Call Me Crazy I Call It Dedication

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:02 pm

MSUBOBCAT4LIFE wrote:
RickRund wrote:
kmax wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
RickRund wrote:
I thought i heard that was a rule as well. It is a clear advantage for them, i have been to the last game there when they sported the same all red. It was difficult to see guys from a fan standpoint. Its a clear advantage and thats why they are wearing all red. It shouldnt be allowed as no other teams are allowed to have colored fields, so they should have to wear off colored jerseys. That being said it would make it all that much better by beating them into the red turf they call the inferno. The ugliest field i have every watched a game on. Go CATS

I'm not sure how it is an advantage. If it's difficult for the defense to see the players, then it's also difficult for the offense to see the players. Obviously, the quarterback may know where the receivers are supposed to go, but if the receivers blend into the field, then it will be harder to throw an accurate pass. I don't think this has much affect all.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter