On to the Inferno

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

On to the Inferno

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:12 pm

We gutted out a win versus a hungry Portland State team this week, in less than ideal conditions. Next week will probably be more of the same, as we take the trip to Cheney to battle the Eagles. Here are the potential roadblocks we'll have to overcome to walk away with the Victory next week:

1. Gage Gubrud, Kids an NFL Quarterback and he's only a Jr. Scouts have been coming droves to watch him play because he has all the tools to be successful at the next level. Last week Gubrud went 33/53 for 452yds and 6TDs, he also had 2 picks. One coming at the line after a pass was batted by an end, and one on a comeback were the corner read it the whole way and jumped the route.

We'll need to pressure Grubud and keep him from killing us on his feet. Davis did a good job of keeping Gurbrud behind the line of scrimmage by spying him, but they also had 7-8 in coverage 75% of the time and Gubrud still picked them apart. I have no idea what the coaches game plan will be on Gubrud, besides the obvious of keeping him off the field but I hope its a good one.

2. EWU's WR group: Nic Sblendorio and Nsimba Webster tore it up yesterday. Sblendorio is more of a possession receiver like Kupp, he snagged the ball 7 times for 82yds and 1 TD. Webster is the burner, and there was no one on the field who could touch him in a foot race. Webster caught 6 balls for 102yds and 1 TD, his TD was a 71yd bomb where he pulled away from the defense like a race horse.

We can't drop 8 guys back in coverage like Davis did, Gubrud and his receivers will kill us. Going to need some tight Man and a lot of heat on Gubrud next week in my opinion.

3. Ketner Kupp is a Beast and flies all over the field, I'll be glad when there are no more Kupp's at EWU.

4. The Inferno... The godforsaken, eye bleeding red field that will turn you blind if you stare at it long enough. And to make matters worse EWU likes to wear Menstrual Crimson uniforms that blends in with their tampon rug. This game will be hard enough to watch on TV, but all players should wear visors to reduce vision loss.

5. Hostile Enviroment... While I liked what I saw in Grand Rapids, we did well in the dome and took the crowd out of it, Cheney presents new challenges... the Tweaker. These rowdy toothless wonders can generate a lot of noise. They grow them in rural areas of Eastern Washington and send them in on gameday to intimidate the other team. After the Tweakers grow strong enough, they make the journey to Everett Wa to camp in a vacant lot and be on internet TV.
View at your own risk: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnQJOKx2tMs

Disclaimer: opinions 4 and 5 are complete satire for people with tight panties.
Last edited by luckyirishguy25 on Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigBruceBaker
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: On to the Inferno

Post by BigBruceBaker » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:19 pm

Lol love 4&5.

I see a defense that will be very similar to what we ran vs. WSU. Basically let them have the underneath, take away the over the top pass, and limit the qb's legs.

We just need to have a better offensive performance than the WSU game. If we can run for over 300 yards, we have a legit chance.

My heart says 30-27 cats. My head says 40-27 toothless wonders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:53 pm

couple things will be key to getting a win, which I believe the cats can do.

1. Time of Possession. Our rushing offense is very good, needs long drives, keep Gubrud off the field as much as possible, and our D as fresh as possible.
2. Finishing drives. We need to score touchdowns along with long drives that eat up the clock. Cant keep settling for field goal attempts in the red zone.
3. Turnovers/Penalties. Play a clean game, no more stupid penalties. The defense getting some key turnovers would be huge.

Definitely a very challenging game, but I think the Cats can win this one.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

clawman
BobcatNation Letterman

Your treat- On to the Inferno

Post by clawman » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 am

Hey Cat fans; Again you get the opportunity only 5 teams per get... playing on the beautiful red turf!! :lol:
Looking at stats your team runs the ball pretty tough. Is that mostly your QB scrambling or RPO plays? How is the health of your team?
We have been having some injuries in fact so many that the coaches held an open tryout to all students for 0-linemen. We've lost our all league d-lineman in the NDSU game. We lost Terrance Grady in that game too, he was expected to be our best receiver. But the teams marches along chanting "next man up".

Amendment II

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:58 am

We are a run first team, from power to option to zone read, to triple option. We're not quite Cal Poly, we can throw the ball a little bit too, but nothing like EWU.

The strength of our offense is the O-line and our elusive speedy QB.

Defensive strength is our D-line. We don't have the outside speed rusher type guy this year, but they are big and physical and stuff the run as well as anyone in the conference.

We have 3 starters out on D, a Safety, a Corner, and LB, and we gave up a lot of pass yards in the 2nd half of last week's game vs PSU. Some of that was because we were leading the game and playing softer coverage, but some was our defense just not playing great in pass coverage. Because of that, there aren't too many Bobcat fans that are confident going into the game vs EWU. I think we're all worried that Gubrud will pick our zone apart all day long.

MSU's only real chance is to pound the rock, eat clock, keep the EWU offense on the sideline, and hope to keep it close into the 4th quarter.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:35 am

Huge challenge for the Bobcats on Saturday. That EWU team is just so explosive, they know how to win, and they're at home. I love the fight in this Bobcat team and I just hope we can keep it close in the 4th quarter with a chance to spring the upset. Not sure what the betting line will be but the Cats are probably 15 to 20 point underdogs and rightfully so.

My guess is that we lose this one but don't get blown out. Then we win out leading up to Cat\Griz. Then hopefully we spank the Griz in Bozo giving them their 4th loss and we squeak into the playoffs at 7-4 due to the head to head over them.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:42 am

I have some extra eclipse glasses if anyone needs hem to watch the game.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:47 am

We need a TOP split similar to the UND game. They scored 50+ on us consistently in the run and gun offense days. I think we can keep them under 40, even if we only slightly win the TOP battle. But if we really take control of the clock I can see us winning a close one in the 30s. I think our corners have to press Spendlorio and we need to double Webster. Splendorio had something like 18 catches against the Griz, and at least 12 were on quick screens and slants.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:01 am

I don't have a crystal ball, but I think watching the 4th quarter of the Cowboys-Packers game, could provide one possible outcome. Unfortunately, we are the Cowboys. #-o

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:06 am

Hawks86 wrote:I don't have a crystal ball, but I think watching the 4th quarter of the Cowboys-Packers game, could provide one possible outcome. Unfortunately, we are the Cowboys. #-o
I was thinking the same thing! Except our OC wouldn't have called a pass play on 2nd down in the red zone, and let the clock stop without making the Packers/Eagles burn their last timeout.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:28 am

BleedingBLue wrote:We need a TOP split similar to the UND game. They scored 50+ on us consistently in the run and gun offense days. I think we can keep them under 40, even if we only slightly win the TOP battle. But if we really take control of the clock I can see us winning a close one in the 30s. I think our corners have to press Spendlorio and we need to double Webster. Splendorio had something like 18 catches against the Griz, and at least 12 were on quick screens and slants.
If we can control TOP like Weber did against us, we have a decent shot.

I also wonder if there will be some defensive position shifts for us. Things that aren't on film might surprise EWU in the 1st half.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 am

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/917427782258352128

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Bobcatstan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bobcatstan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:38 am

We really need to control tempo and keep the ball away from gubrud. That said, we also need to score on our chances. Tds over fgs. Ewu can outscore us even with 18 minutes of possesion. Really could use a couple of turnovers and capitalize on those as well.

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:42 am

TV coverage for us out of state????
Will it be on Puke O ????

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:02 am

wbtfg wrote:I have some extra eclipse glasses if anyone needs hem to watch the game.

:lol:

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:07 am

BleedingBLue wrote:We need a TOP split similar to the UND game. They scored 50+ on us consistently in the run and gun offense days. I think we can keep them under 40, even if we only slightly win the TOP battle. But if we really take control of the clock I can see us winning a close one in the 30s. I think our corners have to press Spendlorio and we need to double Webster. Splendorio had something like 18 catches against the Griz, and at least 12 were on quick screens and slants.
The only game I have seen the Griz play this year was the EW game. EW seemed to REALLY struggle in the redzone (no pun intended), but Grubud seemed to have 3-4 really bad overthrows on open WR's. So they could have had 14-21+ more points on the Griz in the first half had they clicked in the redzone (scary). The Cats need to grind the ball like the past few games and limit EW's possesion's. Make Gubrud stand on the sideline half the game and wait. That puts a lot of pressure on the QB when they come in to produce and be more aggressive which will hopefully result in some turnovers for us.

Also, I hope coach Choate sent in some film to the Big Sky Ref offices this week. There was a LOT of holding (obvious) that was not called in the PSU game. We have an intermediate pass rush as it is, we don't need our guys being grabbed/held when they finally do win the 1 on 1 battle and not have it called.

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:09 am

St George wrote:TV coverage for us out of state????
Will it be on Puke O ????
It should be on Pluto.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:24 am

Last year I was all over our Turn-overs, this year it's lack of execution on crucial plays. We have plenty of talented
Players and Good Coach's . While X's and O's and Johny and Joe's are good for debate. I think it is poor execution on
4 or 5 plays a game , is why we are not 4 and 1 right now . If we can execute in the red zone and get off the field
when we have 3rd and long we will do fine. When we become able to focus and execute a full game, we will be
Formidable !

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:52 pm

mslacatfan wrote:
wbtfg wrote:I have some extra eclipse glasses if anyone needs hem to watch the game.

:lol:

I have some extra pairs too!!!!!

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:15 pm

Buckaroo Bonzi wrote:Last year I was all over our Turn-overs, this year it's lack of execution on crucial plays. We have plenty of talented
Players and Good Coach's . While X's and O's and Johny and Joe's are good for debate. I think it is poor execution on
4 or 5 plays a game , is why we are not 4 and 1 right now . If we can execute in the red zone and get off the field
when we have 3rd and long we will do fine. When we become able to focus and execute a full game, we will be
Formidable !
Precisely. If MSU gets out of its own way, it'll win this game just like it would've won the SDSU and Weber games. Since the MSU defense held Washington State to 31 and SDSU to 24-27, then it should be able to keep EWU under 40. I'm not sure EWU's defense is much better than NDSU's. Just about everyone they've played has had their best offensive day of the season.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber