Why does Colter hate the cats?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

IHATEHIPPIES
BobcatNation Redshirt

Why does Colter hate the cats?

Post by IHATEHIPPIES » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm

I love Colter's content but can't stand how he never picks the cats to win and his annoying griz bias. I can't imagine spending so much time around the cats and developing relationships with them but never picking them. If u listen to the podcast prior to cat / griz last year he gave the cats literally 0 chance of winning, he recently just went on a local ND podcast and picked ND, what gives?

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Why does Colter hate the cats?

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:46 pm

Colter has a better football mind and understanding of the teams in this conference than arguably anyone on this board. He knows his stuff and calls it like he sees it, he isn’t here to pander to us, at least that’s not what I “hired” him for.

Not too many people gave us a chance in Missoula last year... and we are the underdogs in this game no doubt.

Colter doesn’t strike me as a guy who is going to predict very many upsets, and because of that he is going to be wrong occasionally.

I’d be curious how Colter matched up to BN posters on the Big Sky pick em, or even just the Cats.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:49 pm

He's not a homer.....like the rest of us. And I say that proudly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

IHATEHIPPIES
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by IHATEHIPPIES » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:58 pm

All I'm saying is that it would be nice if he rooted for us, it is rare for any team beat writer to go do an interview with the opposition and not at least act like he is cheering for his team.

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:07 pm

A why does Colter hate the Cats tread on this board during the season is about as predicable as a Griz need to move up to the Mountain West tread is on Egriz.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:09 pm

IHATEHIPPIES wrote:All I'm saying is that it would be nice if he rooted for us, it is rare for any team beat writer to go do an interview with the opposition and not at least act like he is cheering for his team.
He's not the Cats' beat writer. He's an independent sports writer and owner of skyline sports.

IHATEHIPPIES
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by IHATEHIPPIES » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:13 pm

"Montana State thinks they are riding high even though they are so far behind Montana in basically every sport"

Latest quote from Colter on his recent podcast.

First that is not even close to a true statement, and second, GFY.

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:16 pm

This is absolutely stupid. I don't subscribe to his stuff, but I have read some very good articles written by Colter. You will never agree with everyone, but it doesn't mean you should call him out. He puts is a lot of time doing what he does. Respect that. On that note, it is hard to pick the Cats because of years of inconsistency. I think we are a great team right now, but we are young, we make mistakes and we have not shown that we can win consistently yet. I can't believe that someone would accuse someone of something just for not picking a team. He covers more than just MSU. Stop acting like Griz fans. It is annoying!!

Punters are people too!!

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:19 pm

I have picked every Bobcat game since the beginning of the 2011 season in print or in some public fashion. The 2013, 2014 and 2016 Cat-Griz games and the 2011 playoff game at Sam Houston are the only games I have picked incorrectly. I picked Montana State to win three of those four games. It's not about who I like. I don't like anyone, I don't root for anyone. I like good stories. And try to give honest analysis. I spend 70 hours a week studying, absorbing and analyzing the Big Sky Conference. I just try to share that knowledge with all of you.

Montana State has a legitimate chance for a huge win in Grand Forks on Saturday. UND is the reigning Big Sky champs, Montana State is still a winless team coming off a 4-7 season with a roster filled with young players. I picked UND to win because of the gap in maturity in the program.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:20 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I have picked every Bobcat game since the beginning of the 2011 season in print or in some public fashion. The 2013, 2014 and 2016 Cat-Griz games and the 2011 playoff game at Sam Houston are the only games I have picked incorrectly. I picked Montana State to win three of those four games. It's not about who I like. I don't like anyone, I don't root for anyone. I like good stories. And try to give honest analysis. I spend 70 hours a week studying, absorbing and analyzing the Big Sky Conference. I just try to share that knowledge with all of you.

Montana State has a legitimate chance for a huge win in Grand Forks on Saturday. UND is the reigning Big Sky champs, Montana State is still a winless team coming off a 4-7 season with a roster filled with young players. I picked UND to win because of the gap in maturity in the program.
I also picked Montana State to beat Eastern Washington and 2014 and 2015 but was incorrect.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:23 pm

I am actually interested in the reasoning behind that quote .

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:25 pm

Hawks86 wrote:I am actually interested in the reasoning behind that quote .
Same here, if that is how it was actually said.

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:36 pm

IHATEHIPPIES wrote:I love Colter's content but can't stand how he never picks the cats to win and his annoying griz bias. I can't imagine spending so much time around the cats and developing relationships with them but never picking them. If u listen to the podcast prior to cat / griz last year he gave the cats literally 0 chance of winning, he recently just went on a local ND podcast and picked ND, what gives?
ND is the favorite and is at home. I pick them to win too.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:41 pm

Colter_Nuanez wrote:I have picked every Bobcat game since the beginning of the 2011 season in print or in some public fashion. The 2013, 2014 and 2016 Cat-Griz games and the 2011 playoff game at Sam Houston are the only games I have picked incorrectly. I picked Montana State to win three of those four games. It's not about who I like. I don't like anyone, I don't root for anyone. I like good stories. And try to give honest analysis. I spend 70 hours a week studying, absorbing and analyzing the Big Sky Conference. I just try to share that knowledge with all of you.

I don't care how much better the other team is, you should pick the cats every time, no matter what! Jeez colter, figure it out.

:D

FTG- GO CATS GO!

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:47 pm

It's on the ewu podcast. http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-ewu-at-um/ twenty-ish minutes in. I agree with Colter when listening to his whole point. Colter also had good things to say about our atmosphere which hippies didn't mention.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:49 pm

I don't think he hates the Cats. I do believe he probably has a Griz bias since he went to school there. I think he or his brother even wore a Griz hat at the Cat/Griz game, but I get it and don't really care. It's all good and I enjoy reading and listening to most of their content, even if I don't agree with some of it. They certainly produce a better product than the Montana Mint does.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:05 pm

Hawks86 wrote:It's on the ewu podcast. http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-ewu-at-um/ twenty-ish minutes in. I agree with Colter when listening to his whole point. Colter also had good things to say about our atmosphere which hippies didn't mention.
Just listened...I also agree with what he was saying. Football has been down for 3 years now, and Mens Basketball hasn't had a winning season in Fish's years here...Are we turning it around? sure...But the griz b-ball team won 2 of the last 3 conference championships, and we are middle pack...Same with Football. He is right about everything he said.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:18 pm

SACCAT wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:It's on the ewu podcast. http://skylinesportsmt.com/big-sky-breakdown-ewu-at-um/ twenty-ish minutes in. I agree with Colter when listening to his whole point. Colter also had good things to say about our atmosphere which hippies didn't mention.
Just listened...I also agree with what he was saying. Football has been down for 3 years now, and Mens Basketball hasn't had a winning season in Fish's years here...Are we turning it around? sure...But the griz b-ball team won 2 of the last 3 conference championships, and we are middle pack...Same with Football. He is right about everything he said.
I just listened as well and I'll be honest that's the first time I felt Colter was legitimately dismissive of MSU in any way. He is always direct and honest, but he definitive made a snide remark.

In talking about "why MSU thinks they are riding high when in fact they are so far behind Montana in a lot of different aspects in basically every sport":

"Montana State won in football, that's still a 4-7 team, but everybody over there think's its all good." It's not just what he said but they way he said it, well you'll have to listen to it yourself to see what I mean, but it was definitely a shot at MSU. It's around 24 minutes.

What he said is true, yes, and he said a lot of positive things about MSU in this podcast as well, including our atmosphere this year against SDSU was better than either of the two Griz home games, and how the Lady Cats are the exception because now only did the dominate the Griz last year but they are the top dogs in the conference right now.

But overall he comes off as a pretty big Griz homer in this segment, even I'll admit. Brags about WA-Griz, the mecca of FCS football, among other things.

But keep in mind this is a Griz podcast for Griz fans.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Catsrgrood
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catsrgrood » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:48 pm

The ONLY thing I have an issue with is that it seems like Colter hasn't been on here sharing his articles nearly as much lately. I was just on egiz and he's shared a power ranking list and has made some comments on it. I'd like to see more action on here. BUT, as far as him "hating" the Cats, give me a break...
He's not a beat writer, he doesn't get paid by the school, he's an independent sports writer that happens to spend most of his time on the Cats and Griz. I don't want to read articles from anyone picking the Cats to win every week, especially over the last few years. We have simply not been that good of a team. That'd just be a homer, and you don't learn much from articles like that. I like the unbias articles Colter writes.

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:21 pm

I am a fan of Colter's work as well but it does seem like he is writing less about the Cats these days.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi