Why does Colter hate the cats?

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Re: Why does Colter hate the cats?

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:15 am

seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Hawks86 wrote:I am actually interested in the reasoning behind that quote .
Same here, if that is how it was actually said.
Uh, what?
I was referring to the below post. I think Hawks was as well.

IHATEHIPPIES on Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:13 pm
"Montana State thinks they are riding high even though they are so far behind Montana in basically every sport"

Latest quote from Colter on his recent podcast.
I knew what you were referring to... I want to hear what colter has to say about it. My guess is he wont answer.
It's not like his statement is inaccurate. Check the record books gentleman.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:25 am

VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Uh, what?

"Montana State thinks they are riding high even though they are so far behind Montana in basically every sport"

I knew what you were referring to... I want to hear what colter has to say about it. My guess is he wont answer.
You could say that for men's basketball, although that seems to be changing.
Not football really, I mean the griz' last official conference championship was 2009.
Not women's basketball.
I don't follow track or volleyball closely, are we behind there?
They don't have rodeo or skiing,I don't think. And we don't have softball.
What other sports are we behind in?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:33 am

91catAlum wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Uh, what?

Not football really, I mean the griz' last official conference championship was 2009.
Not women's basketball.
Not women's tennis: http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/4/1 ... ?path=wten

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:46 am

It's official.

"Montana State's win in women's tennis clinched the annual Brawl of the Wild series between the storied rivals. The Bobcats own a 9-4 advantage with four events remaining on the season."

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:47 am

Rich K wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
seataccat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Uh, what?

Not women's basketball.
Not women's tennis: http://www.msubobcats.com/news/2017/4/1 ... ?path=wten
What does it matter? Are we surprised that CN is really a griz fan? What he said was factually inaccurate but I'm sure it made some maroon morons smile. Those on this board who believed he just likes sports and doesn't root for his alma mater are easily fooled. Colter is an okay writer but makes some poor biz decisions. This latest comment is a perfect example. Maybe the griz fans will subscribe at a rate where Colter won't have to be a ranch hand during the summer anymore.

gtapp
Golden Bobcat

Post by gtapp » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:48 am

IHATEHIPPIES wrote:I love Colter's content but can't stand how he never picks the cats to win and his annoying griz bias. I can't imagine spending so much time around the cats and developing relationships with them but never picking them. If u listen to the podcast prior to cat / griz last year he gave the cats literally 0 chance of winning, he recently just went on a local ND podcast and picked ND, what gives?
As the saying goes, This is just plain stupid! Picking a team to win or lose has nothing to do with bias or love for a team. Most on here pick with there heart which is great but many also pick with their head irregardless of their love for the Cats. I picked the Cats to go 4-7 (Would love to be way off) does that mean I hate the Cats? Sure that must be it. That is why I pay all that money for booster fees and season tickets, fly or drive over 1000 miles for every game, have Bobcat Plates, many Bobcat Tattoos and named my dog Bob! I must really hate them!

Gary Tapp
Graduated MSU 1981
Hamilton High School
Minneapolis, MN

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:52 am

gtapp wrote:
IHATEHIPPIES wrote:I love Colter's content but can't stand how he never picks the cats to win and his annoying griz bias. I can't imagine spending so much time around the cats and developing relationships with them but never picking them. If u listen to the podcast prior to cat / griz last year he gave the cats literally 0 chance of winning, he recently just went on a local ND podcast and picked ND, what gives?
As the saying goes, This is just plain stupid! Picking a team to win or lose has nothing to do with bias or love for a team. Most on here pick with there heart which is great but many also pick with their head irregardless of their love for the Cats. I picked the Cats to go 4-7 (Would love to be way off) does that mean I hate the Cats? Sure that must be it. That is why I pay all that money for booster fees and season tickets, fly or drive over 1000 miles for every game, have Bobcat Plates, many Bobcat Tattoos and named my dog Bob! I must really hate them!

well said

FTG- GO CATS GO!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:13 am

I love Skyline Sports and will continue to pay. I just thought this one instance, and the only instance I have found in the years I've read and listened to Colter, he made a dis at the Cats. Who cares in the grand scheme of things, he has the best coverage, breaks the highest amount of breaking news, and I love his gameday and scrimmage tweets.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:32 am

Bigtimecat wrote:Colter didn't get me a birthday present.
I was unloading my car from a Costco trip and I really need Colter to help me with the stuff. What's with this guy?

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Catastrophy11 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:51 am

http://www.msubobcats.com/sports/2014/2 ... 41119.aspx

#BOTW Results
2016-17: Montana State 10, Montana 7
2015-16: Montana 12, Montana State 5
2014-15: Montana 9, Montana State 8
2013-14: Montana 14, Montana State 3

SPORT DATE LOCATION BOBCATS GRIZ
Volleyball 9/30/17 Bozeman
Men's Cross Country 10/28/17 Ogden, UT
Women's Cross Country 10/28/17 Ogden, UT
Volleyball 11/4/17 Missoula, MT
Football 11/18/17 Bozeman
Men's Basketball 1/20/18 Bozeman
Women's Basketball 1/20/18 Bozeman
Men's Indoor Track & Field 2/24/18 Flagstaff, AZ
Women's Indoor Track & Field 2/24/18 Flagstaff, AZ
Men's Basketball 2/24/18 Missoula, MT
Women's Basketball 2/24/18 Missoula, MT
Women's Tennis TBA Missoula, MT
Men's Tennis TBA Missoula, MT
Women's Golf 4/22/18 Boulder City, NV
Men's Outdoor Track & Field 5/11/18 Moscow, ID
Women's Outdoor Track & Field 5/11/18 Moscow, ID

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:54 am

But seriously folks. This thread is total and complete nonsense. Initially (years ago) Colter had a branding issue in my opinion. He presented himself as a beat writer (even called himself Bobcat Beat), and partnered with the owners of this site to gain readership in a fast and efficient manner. At that time, he had a responsibility to "homer" for the Cats. At that time, when his grizz heritage and bias showed through, it bugged me. For example in a span of only a couple months, he wrote some really irritating and highly "non-homery" articles and followed immediately by this heart felt ask for money. Weird. I was really scratching my head at that point.

HOWEVER: None of this is true anymore. Colter's business model, brand, and articles are all in perfect alignment in my opinion. Hippies has the same choice as the rest of us: subscribe and read it or don't. Again, in 2017 this thread is just dumb.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:00 pm

I'm with Colter. I hate cats.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

PapaG
Golden Bobcat

Post by PapaG » Fri Sep 22, 2017 11:17 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:It's official.

"Montana State's win in women's tennis clinched the annual Brawl of the Wild series between the storied rivals. The Bobcats own a 9-4 advantage with four events remaining on the season."
So Colter gave an unfactual hot take on a a Griz-themed podcast to appease the Griz fanbase. He's a Griz fan and Griz alumnus. I called it years ago about him when he started as a Bobcat Beat reporter but his journalistic content was still somewhat objective, with some negative articles at times in what seemed to be an obvious anti-Bobcat bias.

He's not objectively professional on that podcast at all. That is pure Griz homer. Think of a dime store Skip Bayless but if it is to gain an audience, if that's the direction he wants to go, I don't care. Let's not pretend he isn't biased, though. That always irritated me because clearly his heart is with the Griz, so I hope he embraces it and adds to the delusion of Griz fans that everything is perfect at UM these days. If those suckers want to pay for an echo chamber, there's an audience for it, Colter.

Seattle to Billings to Missoula to Bozeman to Portland to Billings

What a ride

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Sep 23, 2017 12:56 am

PapaG wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:It's official.

So Colter gave an unfactual hot take on a a Griz-themed podcast to appease the Griz fanbase. He's a Griz fan and Griz alumnus. I called it years ago about him when he started as a Bobcat Beat reporter but his journalistic content was still somewhat objective, with some negative articles at times in what seemed to be an obvious anti-Bobcat bias.

He's not objectively professional on that podcast at all. That is pure Griz homer. Think of a dime store Skip Bayless but if it is to gain an audience, if that's the direction he wants to go, I don't care. Let's not pretend he isn't biased, though. That always irritated me because clearly his heart is with the Griz, so I hope he embraces it and adds to the delusion of Griz fans that everything is perfect at UM these days. If those suckers want to pay for an echo chamber, there's an audience for it, Colter.
It's amazing how many times I've written and posted this on this website over the last seven years. It's almost not worth responding anymore but...Almost every person on this thread scrutinizing me knows almost nothing about me as a person or what's "in my heart", what I "embrace" or if I'm anything "like all Griz fans."

My family is not from Montana. My late father never even owned a television until he was 25 years old. He did not indoctrinate Brooks or me with a love of sports like many of your fathers and elders. Our love for sports came from our bond as brothers and is completely self-taught.

We moved to Missoula in 1993 when I was five years old. I went to Griz games throughout my childhood with various friends and neighbors on occasion but my parents did not get season tickets until I was a senior in high school in 2004. My dad was too immersed in international travel building his drilling business.

I spent many Saturdays in middle school and high school watching college football of all sorts on TV, from Penn State to USC to Texas to Montana to Montana State. I watched as many Bobcat games if not more growing up as I did Griz games. In my six seasons covering MSU while Kane Ioane was on the staff, I joked with him many times that the middle school version of myself would be blown away if he knew he would someday get to sit in the office of a Bobcat legend and talk Big Sky football one-on-one.

Again, we do not have Montana ties. My dad was the second-youngest of six and my mom is the youngest of four. I'm the first person from either side of my family to earn a college degree. That's counting more than 30 cousins. There's not some uncle or grandpa or brother who hammered home "be a Griz fan or be a Cat fan." My family happened to move to Missoula when I was a kid for my dad's career. I chose to attend the University of Montana after high school because of the solid journalism school. The Kaimin boycott by Bobby Hauck? You connect the dots.

My brother had an offer to play for the Bobcats back in 2008 and he was leaning that way. He liked Dale Ploessl and the program Rob Ash was building. Joel Fuller committed first, the scholarship offer ceased to exist, Mick Delaney (UM's running backs coach at the time) watched Brooks earn a medal at the Class AA track meet in the 100 as as senior, Montana offered and Brooks stayed home. One of the most amazing parts about this entire thread is that that 25-minute spot was basically analyzing and scrutinizing UM for all its failures.

As a journalist, the 2010-2012 Bobcats provided me with the most pleasant experience I've had covering any team, any sport, anywhere. Montana State's sports information department is first-rate, the players were class acts and the coaching staff, led by Rob Ash, embraced me and taught me as much about football as anyone I've come across. When I ventured out on my own, I had the opportunity to cover the Griz for the Great Falls Tribune or move back to Missoula to work covering various prep stuff while also writing Griz features. Instead, I chose to stay in Bozeman despite its economic challenges because I felt the fan base was more engaged, interested in prevalent top-notch coverage and the media access is the best in the Big Sky.

Was the take I gave on the Griz podcast too harsh when it comes to Montana State athletics? Yes. Spur of the moment in the middle of a free-flowing commentary? Certainly. For that, I apologize because I never want to come off like any sort of homer.

Here's my true thoughts: Montana State as a university is leaps and bounds ahead of Montana currently. The education offered, the momentum within the campus, the way MSU and Bozeman are thriving together is on a whole different, higher level than the University of Montana and Missoula. Last year, the MSU sports programs were able to capture a bit of that momentum with Choate and the Bobcat football team pounding Stitt, Tyler Hall's virtuoso performance to help the Bobcats earn their first win under Brian Fish over Montana and Tricia Binford's top-notch program and their ability to beat the Lady Griz three times in the last four matchups.

If you know me personally, you know the type of sport I enjoy. If you know me as someone who's passionate about football, you know Choate is the type of coach I enjoy to both cover and observe build a program. I have a closer relationship with Brian Fish than any coach I've ever covered. I've spent more time and effort covering MSU women's basketball than any Bobcat program other than football because that was my second beat at the newspaper before going independent. I think in terms of recruiting quality people, coaching them to play an entertaining brand of basketball while also serving in the community and getting stellar GPAs, Binford is about as good as it gets.

All that said, Montana is ahead of Montana State in nearly every aspect of facilities in the revenue (football, men's basketball, women's basketball) sports. Bobcat Stadium is a tremendous venue. And I acknowledged that the atmosphere at MSU's opener was far superior than that at the two Griz games so far this season (I've been at all three). But Washington-Griz is still the top venue in the Big Sky. The sellout crowd for Fish's win over Montana should give MSU a good deal of momentum entering basketball season. But Dahlberg Arena is still a superior venue. What is the main factor for young people in recruiting these days,more than winning tradition or prestige or education? Facilities.

Montana State is working hard to raise money, but that money has not come yet. Meanwhile, Montana has done nearly $18 million in facility upgrades over the last year. Academic center, huge advantage, MSU doesn't have one. Champions Center, huge advantage, Montana State does not have one. On the field, although Choate won the finale, that's still a 4-7 team that sits at 0-2 this year. Fish beat the Griz for the first time but still finished 16-16. MSU has not had a 20-win season since 2002. The Bobcat men have only had three 16-win seasons in the last 20 years. The Cats have three NCAA Tournament appearances ever. Montana has 10 20-win seasons over the last 20 years, including two in three seasons under Travis DeCuire. UM has 10 NCAA trips, including three this decade. Binford has done a tremendous job at keeping pace with a program that has as many advantages and as rich a tradition as any women's program in the country. But Montana was without its two best players last season. The Bobcats will be competitive this year but the Lady Griz should be among the favorites to make their 22nd NCAA Tournament appearance since 1983. Last season served as MSU's second ever trip to the women's NCAA Tournament.

Since Skyline Sports launched in August of 2015, we have produced 2,234 pieces of content. Nearly 1,700 of those have had something to do with Montana State. I highly doubt I hate the Cats, have a vendetta against the Cats or want the Bobcats to fail. If I ever pick the Bobcats to lose, there's one sole reason and it's not because I want them to lose. It's because I want my analysis and prediction to hold weight, therefore I want to be right. Given a seven-year sample size, I am 69-8 picking MSU results and of those eight I have gotten wrong, I picked the Cats to win six of those times.

Lastly, at the end of the day, I'm just a guy who really likes to write who sees the true cultural value of sports. Read our story on Khari Garcia tomorrow. That's what it's all about: perseverance, life lessons, becoming a man, earning a college degree you otherwise might never get the opportunity to attain, conquering the obstacles in your life and being better for it. I'm not here to make anyone mad. I'm not here to pander to anyone or enforce an agenda upon anyone. I truly strive to have no bias and if you see or perceive bias in my work, that might be your own bias coming to the forefront because some of the basic things you know about my background. I want to tell the stories of hard-working young men and women who serve as meaningful examples of the great things about life, athletics and higher education. When you record 215 podcasts per year, write 1,100 stories per year, you're bound to make mistakes. I have made my fair share. I'm doing the best I can and I appreciate each and every person who has ever supported me, critiqued and criticized me and helped me continue to do what I absolutely love.

rivercat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by rivercat » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:26 am

Sorry you felt it necessary to waste time answering a very few whiners. I have read most everything you put up on the board and have thoroughly enjoyed it. I can't stand homer reporters and announcers. Ever watch the CO Avalanche with Mike and Peter. Syrupy drivel.

I've poached your free articles long enough. You'll have a new subscriber tomorrow. Thanks and keep up the great work. thanks.

"...get in 21 personnel and pound people and take their souls and have fun doing that..." coach Choate

utucats
Member # Retired

Post by utucats » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:13 am

"I'm 69-8 picking MSU results"

That'll be 69-9 here shortly.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:50 am

Colter to kitten fans on this thread...

Colter:
Mr. cat fan, what you’ve just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

:D

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:07 am

seataccat wrote: I knew what you were referring to... I want to hear what colter has to say about it. My guess is he wont answer.
Oh he answered... he said "screw you" politely, while wearing maroon colored glasses an drinking Griz beer.
:lol:
Last edited by Go Scats Go on Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

Lovethecats75
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Lovethecats75 » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:18 am

Last time I checked we have a game today. How about we talk about that instead of if Colter is a griz fan or not. You don't like what he writes don't read it. You all sound like the idiots on egriz. We are CAT fans we are better then that. NOW IT IS FOOTBALL SATURDAY LETS GO CATS!!!!!!.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Sat Sep 23, 2017 6:26 am

Go Scats Go wrote:
seataccat wrote: I knew what you were referring to... I want to hear what colter has to say about it. My guess is he wont answer.
Oh he answered... he said "screw you" politely.
[emoji38]
He also apologized for the quote in question, so cool your jets, there, Chachi.
You have to read the whole post, not just the parts you like.