Go North to Dakota...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Go Scats Go
Member # Retired

Re: Go North to Dakota...

Post by Go Scats Go » Sat Sep 16, 2017 10:41 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:UND
PSU
Weebs

These are the teams that are the best of the BSC right now, everyone else including us is in the sh*tshow behind them.
Might want to rethink this.

UND gets killed
Weebs struggle with Suck St.
PSU loses to UC Davis

CelticCat wrote:Well it's because the Griz are the only program in Montana of course.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:40 pm

Go Scats Go wrote:
luckyirishguy25 wrote:UND
PSU
Weebs

These are the teams that are the best of the BSC right now, everyone else including us is in the sh*tshow behind them.
Might want to rethink this.

UND gets killed
Weebs struggle with Suck St.
PSU loses to UC Davis
Your team still isn't in front of any of them.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:36 am

onceacat wrote:
Cataholic wrote:
onceacat wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
utucats wrote:UND is down 17-0 to a South Dakota squad who aren't near as good as the SDSU squad we played last week.
I think they are just as good. They are doing anything they want offensively and their D is way more physical than SDSU. Hopefully our coaches are watching, because South Dakota runs a spread offense with concepts similar to ours. And their LBs are everywhere. Santiago and Olivera have no running lanes.
South Dakota is 3-0 with a win over FBS Bowling Green.

North Dakota is 1-4 in out of conference play in the last 2 seasons. Pretty much a one trick pony offensively with Santiago/Olivera. They barely snuck out of Bozeman with a win last year when MSU was the worst team in the conference. (OK, maybe ISU was worse...) They squeaked out an 8-0 record in a really weak BSC.

UND is solid, for sure. But the fact that they went 8-0 last season is more a testament to how weak the BSC has been (not counting EWU) for the last 6-8 years than anything else. The difference between #1 and #5 in the Big Sky is almost zero right now.
The Big Sky is not that bad. Idaho State just beat FBS Nevada. Southern Utah just beat MVFC Northern Iowa. Multiple other competitive games against the likes of Oregon State and South Dakota State. The MVFC has a couple stand out schools and just as many bad ones, same as the Big Sky. The Big Sky is the second strongest FCS conference top to bottom in the country.
The MVFC played a conference game for the national championship 3 years ago. They've got 7 teams in the top 25. The 5th or 6th best team in the MVFC just spanked the best (highest ranked?) team in the BSC.

The Colonial has 4 teams that would probably run the table in the BSC this year. Right now the Big Sky only has 2 teams in the top 25, and I'm not sure anyone really believes that EWU should be ranked.

Once someone in the BSC wins some playoff games, we can talk about relevance. I'm optimistic after the Cats outplayed SDSU for the 2nd half last week. But we are a long way (as a conference) from competing with the big boys.
The Colonial has proven commodities in James Madison and maybe New Hampshire who just lost to Holy Cross. Richmond and Villanova are still unproven this year ("big wins over Lafayette and Howard") while Towson has an "impressive" 2 point win over powerful St Francis (sarcasm intended). You can make a similar argument about the Big Sky with Idaho State beating Nevada and PSU dropping a close one to Oregon State. Throw in the Cats play against MVSC power Sout Dakota State and a couple of Big Sky victories over MVSC foes Northern Iowa and Missouri State (albeit weak), you can easily make a compelling argument that the Big Sky is on the same level as these other two.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:28 am

I think it will take a couple of more weeks before the rankings start to shake themselves out. The pre season polls are all based on last years performance so the start of the season has really nothing to do with what a team is going to do for the current season.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 am

Looks like UND has trouble against QBs that can run and pass. South Dakota, which has been extremely impressive thus far, QB Streveler is mobile and can chuck it. He had a big game against them despite attempting only three passes and three carries in the 2nd half. They will probably have a backup plan to their usual scheme on defense, but it isn't a good week to be making changes considering all the backups playing.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:56 am

I think Troy Andersen is going to have a big game. I think he's been used sparingly and as a blocking back. Saturday he will introduce himself to the Big Sky conference as he'll be knocking heads with North Dakota's depleted corps of linebackers and will have his first 100+ yard game. He'll replace Murray as MSU's leading rusher and remain that way the rest of the year.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:03 pm

Lots on injuries at UND. The rundown from the hometown newspaper.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/ ... ener-ahead

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:44 pm

Not sure why Colter hasn't posted this here, but from egriz:

[quote=Colter_Nuanez56 post_id=1241331 time=1505846037 user_id=15272]
UND injuries:

MLB Conner O'Brien retired before the season because of head injuries. He started all 12 games last season at inside linebacker and served as one of UND's captains.

DB 19 Deion Harris (out for the season, torn achilles, All-American)

LB 44 Donnell Rodgers (out for the season, starting inside linebacker, broken leg)

OL 65 Demon Taylor (out indefinitely with wha appeared to be a serious knee injury during the South Dakota game. He is, in my opinion, the best offensive guard in the Big Sky)

LB 45 Cam Hunt (out indefinitely, not sure the injury but was starting inside linebacker next to Rodgers).

FB 42 Kyle Norberg (out indefinitely, not sure the injury, a key to UND's running game)

DB 29 Andre Randolph (out for the season, expected to back up sophomore Torrey Hunt at CB)

WR 23 Josh Seibel (out indefinitely, veteran wide receiver)

WR 20 Easton Erbes (out indefinitely, was going to struggle to get into the rotation)

DB 6 Evan Holm (questionable, Harris' replacement. If he can't go — and Grand Forks Herald beat writer Tom Miller told me on our podcast this morning that it's looking less likely — UND will go with true freshman Hayden Blubaugh)

OL 72 Mat Cox (questionable, two-year starter at right tackle, has underperformed according to Miller because of injuries)

OL 78 A.J. Stockwell (questionable, three-year starter at left tackle, like Cox has left something to be desired because of injuries)

WR 81 Luke Stanley (questionable)

UND is starting 6-1, 205-pound senior OLB Jake Disterhaupt and redshirt freshman walk-on Jake Rastas (6-2, 200 pounds) at inside linebacker. At best, those are UND's 5th and sixth-best options at ILB in their 3-4 defense. Their stud true freshman who was expected to play and provide relief for Rodgers, is out indefinitely as well.

The safety spot next to Big Sky Defensive MVP Cole Reyes has been a rotating door as well, which has hurt UND. The interior offensive line has not performed well either as UND has struggled to run the ball, which is their sole identity on offense.

All that plus the fact that UND's blitzing scheme has always struggled containing mobile quarterbacks if the QBs can get out on the edge and the matchup seems to favor Montana State.
[/quote]

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:00 pm

Also saw this morning that Peppenger is assuming the field goal duties again starting Saturday.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:53 pm

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Not sure why Colter hasn't posted this here, but from egriz:
Colter_Nuanez56 wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 pm
UND injuries:

MLB Conner O'Brien retired before the season because of head injuries. He started all 12 games last season at inside linebacker and served as one of UND's captains.

DB 19 Deion Harris (out for the season, torn achilles, All-American)

LB 44 Donnell Rodgers (out for the season, starting inside linebacker, broken leg)

OL 65 Demon Taylor (out indefinitely with wha appeared to be a serious knee injury during the South Dakota game. He is, in my opinion, the best offensive guard in the Big Sky)

LB 45 Cam Hunt (out indefinitely, not sure the injury but was starting inside linebacker next to Rodgers).

FB 42 Kyle Norberg (out indefinitely, not sure the injury, a key to UND's running game)

DB 29 Andre Randolph (out for the season, expected to back up sophomore Torrey Hunt at CB)

WR 23 Josh Seibel (out indefinitely, veteran wide receiver)

WR 20 Easton Erbes (out indefinitely, was going to struggle to get into the rotation)

DB 6 Evan Holm (questionable, Harris' replacement. If he can't go — and Grand Forks Herald beat writer Tom Miller told me on our podcast this morning that it's looking less likely — UND will go with true freshman Hayden Blubaugh)

OL 72 Mat Cox (questionable, two-year starter at right tackle, has underperformed according to Miller because of injuries)

OL 78 A.J. Stockwell (questionable, three-year starter at left tackle, like Cox has left something to be desired because of injuries)

WR 81 Luke Stanley (questionable)

UND is starting 6-1, 205-pound senior OLB Jake Disterhaupt and redshirt freshman walk-on Jake Rastas (6-2, 200 pounds) at inside linebacker. At best, those are UND's 5th and sixth-best options at ILB in their 3-4 defense. Their stud true freshman who was expected to play and provide relief for Rodgers, is out indefinitely as well.

The safety spot next to Big Sky Defensive MVP Cole Reyes has been a rotating door as well, which has hurt UND. The interior offensive line has not performed well either as UND has struggled to run the ball, which is their sole identity on offense.

All that plus the fact that UND's blitzing scheme has always struggled containing mobile quarterbacks if the QBs can get out on the edge and the matchup seems to favor Montana State.
I wrote about it in this story: http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-taking-u ... s-matchup/
The defined identity of the UND football team carries over to the offensive side. Although the Fighting Hawks have been decimated by injuries on both sides of the ball— All-American cornerback Deion Harris tore his Achilles tendon in July, key players like All-Big Sky offensive guard Demon Taylor, starting inside linebackers Donnell Rodgers and Cam Hunt, starting fullback Kyle Norberg and veteran wide receiver Josh Seibel are out indefinitely against MSU and starters cornerback Evan Holm plus offensive tackles Mat Cox and A.J. Stockwell are all listed as questionable — North Dakota’s tough-minded style is easy to observe offensively and defensively.

“They know who they are, what their identity is,” MSU second-year defensive coordinator Ty Gregorak said on Monday. “Sure enough, that identity co-champed the league last year. Run the ball, control the clock…shoot, they had nine wins in a pretty dang competitive league. They know what their identity is defensively too.

“They are good. You can tell he has that thing into a well-oiled machine. They will be a challenge for us.”

lakesbison
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by lakesbison » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:46 pm

Blitz the crap out of their QB, don't worry about their wr's.

on offense, pass, pass , pass.

see South Dakota. jump on them early and they will quit.

lakesbison

Post by lakesbison » Wed Sep 20, 2017 6:55 am

if you goto the game, you'll probably fly into Fargo/NDSU like most everyone else, including recruits.

party in fargo Friday, drive up for game, then back to fargo to party.

if you do end up in Stink Forks , goto east stink forks and goto Up North Pizza/Pub. "owned by an ex NDSU WR" on the Minnesota side!

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:52 am

I don't care how many injuries UND has this is still going to be a dogfight. MSU had a lot of injuries last year (as well as a new coach, ton of Freshman playing) and this game was close. So we can throw the injury issue away as players usually step up.

Next man up.

Buckaroo Bonzi

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:18 am

I think the Cat's have a wealth of experience in playing the next man up game , they have been doing
it for a year and a eighth with all the youth and Injuries of last year. Also for me the # one goal of a defense
is usually trying to make an offense one dimensional, the reason the last two teams stacked the box forcing
the Cats to throw, and making the offensive line and running game look anemic . After late in the second quarter
and in the second half of the South Dakota Game the Cat's got the passing game clicking, all they needed was an
ounce or two of confidence in the passing game, and they got buckets of confidence . UND may stack the Box
at first to make sure that was no fluke , but I believe it will be at their own peril. I think the Cats have arrived
with a balanced ability on Offense ,to take the top off a defense, so no more Safties and Corners playing like
Linebackers, will open up the run game and our O line will look more than adequate . Our Defense, well I just
like the way they play ,fast and hard with a lot of physicality. They wore pretty heavily on the South Dakota team
by the end of the game. I have confidence that the special teams play was an, anomaly, and the Coach's won't
allow that kind of performance going forward. I had Washington penciled as a loss and actually South Dakota as
a win, Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona as losses, but feel we can Win at least one if not both, to maintain
my prediction of an 8-3 season. All these guys need now is the Confidence of a Signature WIN to go on a roll, they
work hard, play hard, are in great condition, and deserve it.I expect a great game plan from our Coaching staff especially
with the xtra prep week.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:11 pm

Bobcat Roundtable: Wide receivers coach Matt Miller, Week 4
http://skylinesportsmt.com/bobcat-round ... tt-miller/

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:40 pm

Pulled this off the UND message board:

MOOSE GETS LOOSE AGAINST BOBCATS
In two career games against Montana State, junior running back Brady Oliveira has rushed for 338 yards and three touchdowns. The Winnipeg, Manitoba native is averaging 9.9 ypc and has two of his six career 100-yard rushing games against the Bobcats. As a freshman, Oliveira rushed for a career-high 171 yards in a 44-38 win over MSU and he added 167 yards and a 60-yard, fourth-quarter touchdown in last year’s 17-15 win in Bozeman.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 12:01 pm

https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsFB/status/911285509238001664

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

exppi
Member # Retired

Post by exppi » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:33 pm

They made it to ND. https://twitter.com/MSUBobcatsVoice/status/911338256750571520

autocat

Post by autocat » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm a little worried that we put our trust in Allegaint Air, I'm going to [-o< They make it back safely!

How about at least using the (I think it's) Alaskan Air plane with the Bobcat logo!

grizzh8r
Golden Bobcat

Post by grizzh8r » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:48 pm

autocat wrote:I'm a little worried that we put our trust in Allegaint Air, I'm going to [-o< They make it back safely!

How about at least using the (I think it's) Alaskan Air plane with the Bobcat logo!
You mean the one with the 3 generations old cat head and the block M? They really need to redo it.

Eric Curry STILL makes me sad.
94VegasCat wrote:Are you for real? That is just a plain ol dumb paragraph! You just nailed every note in the Full Reetard sing-a-long choir!!!
:rofl: