kicking game and run game

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

kicking game and run game

Post by aucat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:33 am

These are the two ingredients holding the Cats back right now.

1. We need a good, tough TB who can pick up 2 or 3 yards when needed.
A 170 pound TB simply cannot do that.

Nick Lasane weighs 220. Dang, he sure blew it with his bad decisions, but
hopefully he will get his life on track and be the TB we need when his 4 game
suspension is up.

2. Two missed field goals, a blocked PAT. That's 7 points. Guess what: 27 plus 7 equals 34.
That equals a win, even with the hold on the TD pass. Even with the underthrown TD
pass that was intercepted. Even with getting outcoached on the fake field goal.

Not sure what we need to do here regarding the kicking game. You simply cannot
win close tough games if you do not have a reliable field goal kicker. I know that
our guy feels worse than anybody, but it is the responsibility of the coaching staff
to go out and recruit top notch reliable kickers.

Ask any college coach about the importance of field goal kickers. These guys
make the difference between Ws and Ls several times during the season.

CARDIAC_CATS
Golden Bobcat

Re: kicking game and run game

Post by CARDIAC_CATS » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:42 am

We also need to get the penalties cleaned up too. The second missed FG should have been a TD if not for being called back on a holding call. So you could add +7 instead of +3 (on missed points) on that possession if that TD had held up. Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't coach Choate a special teams guru for a time I thought I read? That fake FG still gets me mad. You give them the FG try and nothing else there! I just don't get it. That play totally changed the game.

That being said, on to next week. Maybe the extra week off will help shore up the special teams play. I think the players will be chomping at the bit ready to go in 2 weeks.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 am

aucat wrote:These are the two ingredients holding the Cats back right now.

suspension is up.

2. Two missed field goals, a blocked PAT. That's 7 points. Guess what: 27 plus 7 equals 34.
That equals a win, even with the hold on the TD pass. Even with the underthrown TD

win close tough games if you do not have a reliable field goal kicker. I know that
our guy feels worse than anybody, but it is the responsibility of the coaching staff

I think Vander will be just fine in short yardage situations. He picked up the critical 4th and 1 in the second quarter that kept our first scoring drive alive.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:49 am

Preseason is over and the 2017 Bobcats have found out a lot about themselves, thanks to playing two high quality opponents. The last thing this team needed was a DII game after the Cougars. A 40 point win would have hurt more than helped. I'm concerned about the load Murray is carrying. He's taking about 40 hits a game. If the past is an indicator of the future then I think the placekicking game will smooth out. I like a lot about our defense. The offensive line needs a lot of work including cleaning up the untimely penalties. Even tho' 0-2, this team has exceeded my expectations. I thought the Coug game would be more like what the Dogs did to the griz. And a coulda-shoulda- woulda game vs. a really fine, experienced #4 team like SDSU is totally unexpected. The 2017 Bobcats might just be "dangerous".
In the meantime our next opponent, UND is getting prepared for a very tough and highly rated South Dakota team. This bye week might be a great time for the Cats to do some repair and rebuild! Call me "guardedly optimistic".

aucat
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by aucat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:06 am

I completely agree with the comment about Murray. All the more reason for a solid running
game with tough tailback that runs downhill.

Murray's passing is getting better. He shouldn't have to also carry the load
for running yardage. Sure a scramble now and then is fine, but dang, you
have to be able to hand the ball off to a back who can break tackles.

I recall some plays when the O line had a decent hole and an arm
was stuck out and brought down our TB. Any decent sized TB would have
waltzed right through that arm tackle.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

aucat wrote:I completely agree with the comment about Murray. All the more reason for a solid running

I think Murray is adding to his own workload unnecessarily. There were at least 4 read options on Saturday where he made the wrong read. I recall one where had he handed off, Jones had a gaping hole on the right side, but Murray kept it and had 3 guys on him immediately. Another I remember vividly was on a option to the left and he kept the ball and was tackled by 3 defenders, but could have pitched to Jones who looked like he would have got the corner and gained some decent yards. Nearly half of his rushing attempts Saturday were scrambles as well, but he needs to make better reads for sure.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:13 am

I'm no expert, but it is a read option type offense. As far as small vs. big, I'd personally like to see Burgess get more reps.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:01 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
aucat wrote:I completely agree with the comment about Murray. All the more reason for a solid running

I think Murray is adding to his own workload unnecessarily. There were at least 4 read options on Saturday where he made the wrong read. I recall one where had he handed off, Jones had a gaping hole on the right side, but Murray kept it and had 3 guys on him immediately. Another I remember vividly was on a option to the left and he kept the ball and was tackled by 3 defenders, but could have pitched to Jones who looked like he would have got the corner and gained some decent yards. Nearly half of his rushing attempts Saturday were scrambles as well, but he needs to make better reads for sure.
This.

He is getting better all the way around game by game.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:03 pm

aucat wrote:These are the two ingredients holding the Cats back right now.

suspension is up.

I'm pretty sure the coaches know the importance of the kicking game and special teams. Daly isn't some slug kicker. He was an all Big Sky honorable mention as a Sophomore, before his injury. He has a strong leg and I thought he was the best kicker in the Spring and Fall practices and scrimmages that I attended.
I'm not real happy with the run game either. The o-line has issues and the play execution hasn't been up to par yet, but I bet that that stuff will improve a lot over the next few weeks. I'd like to see Burgess get some carries soon and Vander given the ball more. Once LaSane gets back in the game, the running game will be a force to be reckoned with.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:42 pm

https://twitter.com/turbittkxlf/status/907304323448684544

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Mr Lisle

Post by Mr Lisle » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:24 pm

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/turbittkxlf/status/907304323448684544
Exactly the right thing to do.

catscat

Post by catscat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:25 pm

I am having trouble understanding why our OLine is not doing well (or at least some think it's not). Admittedly we lost a great O lineman in JP, but didn't we have two lineman that started at least part of the season last year, plus the other 3 that started all season long? Is it just losing Flynn that's making all the difference? Why is Murray not picking up the yards he did last year? Sure, folks are keying on him, but he ran the QB draw time after time on um and they never did stop it. Was last year's OLine the difference and that brings us back to where I started this.

Can't make up my mind as to which is better - 55-21 or 48-14.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:04 pm

catscat wrote:I am having trouble understanding why our OLine is not doing well (or at least some think it's not). Admittedly we lost a great O lineman in JP, but didn't we have two lineman that started at least part of the season last year, plus the other 3 that started all season long? Is it just losing Flynn that's making all the difference? Why is Murray not picking up the yards he did last year? Sure, folks are keying on him, but he ran the QB draw time after time on um and they never did stop it. Was last year's OLine the difference and that brings us back to where I started this.
The OL didn't give up a sack and MSU ran for 5.0/carry. That's against 8-9 in box. I say if Murray's passing continues to improve so will the run game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 4:14 pm

catscat wrote:I am having trouble understanding why our OLine is not doing well (or at least some think it's not). Admittedly we lost a great O lineman in JP, but didn't we have two lineman that started at least part of the season last year, plus the other 3 that started all season long? Is it just losing Flynn that's making all the difference? Why is Murray not picking up the yards he did last year? Sure, folks are keying on him, but he ran the QB draw time after time on um and they never did stop it. Was last year's OLine the difference and that brings us back to where I started this.
you answered your own question, it was um, their strategy was to not let him get out the sides of the pocket but left the middle open to accomplish it

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

spring creek cat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spring creek cat » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 pm

I am also concerned about the running game! Jones is a great runner, just not an every down back. He just isn't big enough for that. Can't wait for a few of the guys to heal up. Vander, roper, Or Lasane off of suspension, any of these guys at full speed will help open up the offense and help the o-line. I think Andersen should be playing defense, especially when those guys are full speed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

six--man
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by six--man » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:15 pm

I agree that the kicking game was overlooked on the recruiting trail. Still, in preseason Daly was bangin' em through.
If he can get over the psychological hurdle by sticking one vs NO Dak we'll be ok
Be interesting to see if they get #15 Troy Anderson toting the mail again.

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:21 pm

Daly only handling punting and kick off duties for UND.

Anderson will be getting more carries against UND. Healed up according to Choate.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:24 pm

bobcat92 wrote:Daly only handling punting and kick off duties for UND.

Anderson will be getting more carries against UND. Healed up according to Choate.
Andersen adds a whole new dimension to the offense if he is healed up. He was missed last week. Like Murray, it's only a matter of time (as in real soon) before he starts ripping it up.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Sotallytober
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Sotallytober » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:29 pm

And Daly has lost his spot... https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/910978260682633218

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:34 pm

Sotallytober wrote:And Daly has lost his spot... https://twitter.com/gregrachac/status/910978260682633218
The grammar in his post is also wide right but with plenty of distance...

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."