Official Gameday Thread, MSU- SDSU

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Re: Official Gameday Thread, MSU- SDSU

Post by CelticCat » Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:12 am

Long Time Cat wrote:
It's no wonder Vinatieri has pretty good wheels. He was a wide receiver in high school .
Yea I think he was a track star in high school too.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:15 pm

I have a question for the football rules experts here. In watching the MSU vs SDSU game again I watched the fake field goal that was really a run very closely. On the snap, the holder still had his knee down and also placed the point of the ball on the ground to continue the fake. At what point does this change from a place kick to a running play? Was it okay for him to basically take a knee and down the ball before he tossed it to the kicker? Just curious to know the rules here. Thanks.

cats2506
Golden Bobcat

Post by cats2506 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:27 pm

Bobcat4Ever wrote:I have a question for the football rules experts here. In watching the MSU vs SDSU game again I watched the fake field goal that was really a run very closely. On the snap, the holder still had his knee down and also placed the point of the ball on the ground to continue the fake. At what point does this change from a place kick to a running play? Was it okay for him to basically take a knee and down the ball before he tossed it to the kicker? Just curious to know the rules here. Thanks.
There is an exception to the rule for the holder
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead:
[...]
b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his body, except his hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in position to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or advanced by rule]
Not an expert, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before

PlayerRep wrote:The point is not the record of the teams UM beat, it's the quality and record of the teams UM almost beat.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:36 pm

cats2506 wrote:
Bobcat4Ever wrote:I have a question for the football rules experts here. In watching the MSU vs SDSU game again I watched the fake field goal that was really a run very closely. On the snap, the holder still had his knee down and also placed the point of the ball on the ground to continue the fake. At what point does this change from a place kick to a running play? Was it okay for him to basically take a knee and down the ball before he tossed it to the kicker? Just curious to know the rules here. Thanks.
There is an exception to the rule for the holder
ARTICLE 3. A live ball becomes dead and an official shall sound his whistle or declare it dead:
[...]
b. When any part of the ball carrier’s body, except his hand or foot, touches the ground or when the ball carrier is tackled or otherwise falls and loses possession of the ball as he contacts the ground with any part of his body, except his hand or foot [Exception: The ball remains alive when an offensive player has simulated a kick or at the snap is in position to kick the ball held for a place kick by a teammate. The ball may be kicked, passed or advanced by rule]
Not an expert, but I have stayed at a Holiday Inn before
=D^ for the Holiday Inn comment.

Bobcat4Ever
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Official Gameday Thread, MSU- SDSU

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:59 pm

Thank you, cats2506. Much appreciated!