It's almost the end of Summer Mr. Costello

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: It's almost the end of Summer Mr. Costello

Post by KittieKop » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:55 am

lutecat wrote:I'm surprised there's been no presser.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
There's nothing to have a press conference about. Its an agenda item - that indicates its a planning item. These are not plans, its a first shot rough, rough concept to get permission to start the planning process. They're notes on a bar napkin. The next step is the actual planning process, where hopefully we'll see some actual detail of what's planned or hoped for.

And I hope everyone noticed this process is planned to cover the next 10-20 yrs, so its not like there's going to be a plan approved and all (or maybe even some) of this begun anytime soon. THIS is the beginning of the plan everyone has been waiting to see. Shovels in the ground is still a bit out.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:06 am

What I noticed is that there is a track inside of the indoor practice facility. It also looks like there is a little bit of seating on the east side of the practice facility. I wonder if this is being done to take indoor track out of the Brick. Maybe so they modernize it and have it more of a full time arena then now, with permanent seats on the east and west sides. I'm also surprised that there isn't space left over for softball as most schools in the conference have women's softball.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:15 am

norcal cat wrote:What I noticed is that there is a track inside of the indoor practice facility. It also looks like there is a little bit of seating on the east side of the practice facility. I wonder if this is being done to take indoor track out of the Brick. Maybe so they modernize it and have it more of a full time arena then now, with permanent seats on the east and west sides. I'm also surprised that there isn't space left over for softball as most schools in the conference have women's softball.
I think softball is a sport that will never make it at MSU. The weather won't allow for it. By the time the bulk of the home games could be played, school and the season would be over. I do like the idea of possibly having a soccer team. This is a multi use plan in reality, not just a football upgrade.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 8:25 am

norcal cat wrote:What I noticed is that there is a track inside of the indoor practice facility. It also looks like there is a little bit of seating on the east side of the practice facility. I wonder if this is being done to take indoor track out of the Brick. Maybe so they modernize it and have it more of a full time arena then now, with permanent seats on the east and west sides. I'm also surprised that there isn't space left over for softball as most schools in the conference have women's softball.
I almost view that area east of the indoor practice facility that has the three football fields as land being saved for potential future building projects or new sports venues, such as a soccer or softball facility. I agree with the previous poster that soccer seems a lot more likely than softball if MSU adds a new women's sport down the road.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:25 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
I think softball is a sport that will never make it at MSU. The weather won't allow for it. By the time the bulk of the home games could be played, school and the season would be over. I do like the idea of possibly having a soccer team. This is a multi use plan in reality, not just a football upgrade.

Softball is played at UM.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:48 am

AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

2,000 feet of elevation difference does a lot for a softball/baseball season.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:52 am

BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

UNC, ISU, SUU, and WSU all have elevations similar or higher than MSUs and they play women's softball.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:11 pm

AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

UNC, ISU, SUU, and WSU all have elevations similar or higher than MSUs and they play women's softball.
But none of them is as far north. I think the only one with similar temperature is ISU but they are drier so don't have to deal with as much snow.

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

kmax
Site Admin

Post by kmax » Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:33 pm

Yes, I have been told that is essentially the plan. Don't know if that means permanent seats on the lower half (still have things like rodeo to think about as well as other bigger floor space events) but the idea is to give track a permanent home outside the fieldhouse for indoor season and allow the fieldhouse to be basketball and events.

“Arguing with anonymous strangers on the Internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be—or to be indistinguishable from—self-righteous sixteen-year-olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.” -- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Brad_CAT
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by Brad_CAT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:13 pm

It's coming guys...I bet this whole plan is revealed next week as part of homecoming. But what do I know? ;)

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Brad_CAT wrote:It's coming guys...I bet this whole plan is revealed next week as part of homecoming. But what do I know? ;)
The board meets today, it makes sense to present this to the board first before any public revelation. I don't know what you know, but you're probably right :D
September 19, 2017 meeting of the University Facilities Planning Board to be held in the
Facilities Meeting Quonset at 3:30 pm

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 1:47 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

But none of them is as far north. I think the only one with similar temperature is ISU but they are drier so don't have to deal with as much snow.
SUU is in the desert. Averages 9 inches of snow fall yearly. Ogden averages 40. Pocatello 55. Bozeman 72. They could play, but it would be tough to get home games played as scheduled, and any early than April. They could just play in the indoor practice facility. But not really [-X

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:20 pm

Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Actually, Cedar City is comparable for snowfall amounts during the softball playing season as Bozeman. Cedar City has slightly warmer on average max/min temps, but snowfall is close. Missoula temps are comparable to Bozeman's during the season. I'd rather watch women's soccer anyway.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:23 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

SUU is in the desert. Averages 9 inches of snow fall yearly. Ogden averages 40. Pocatello 55. Bozeman 72. They could play, but it would be tough to get home games played as scheduled, and any early than April. They could just play in the indoor practice facility. But not really [-X

Cedar City does not average 9 inches of snow yearly. You are looking at a particular months average. Average snowfall at the Cedar City muni airport is around 45 inches.
https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut1267 and Bozeman averages around 47 inches at the airport. https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt0622

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:35 pm

25" difference between Gallatin Field and Bozeman. Seems about right. Campus gets way more snow than Belgrade.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:42 pm

AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Cedar City does not average 9 inches of snow yearly. You are looking at a particular months average. Average snowfall at the Cedar City muni airport is around 45 inches.
https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?ut1267 and Bozeman averages around 47 inches at the airport. https://wrcc.dri.edu/cgi-bin/cliMAIN.pl?mt0622
Iaa is right. Also I have played baseball in St George, Cedar City and Ogden in mid March. 60s in St George and Cedar City, with no snow. Ogden 40s and 50s, no snow. And I played baseball in Bozeman for 15 years and never was able to play a game in March or early April due to snow. We could have a team sure, but it would be costly. Either for travel or to have a turf field.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:03 pm

BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Iaa is right. Also I have played baseball in St George, Cedar City and Ogden in mid March. 60s in St George and Cedar City, with no snow. Ogden 40s and 50s, no snow. And I played baseball in Bozeman for 15 years and never was able to play a game in March or early April due to snow. We could have a team sure, but it would be costly. Either for travel or to have a turf field.
Never? Never, ever were able to play a game in March and April due to snow? Okay, if you don't want softball that's fine.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:37 pm

AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
Long Time Cat wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:

Never? Never, ever were able to play a game in March and April due to snow? Okay, if you don't want softball that's fine.
Boy you win I guess. Good for you =D^

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Heard that nothing is going to happen until they start the Kagy Road expansion and that is years away from happening. Still going to be cool to see someday.

Punters are people too!!

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:21 pm

GoCats18 wrote:Heard that nothing is going to happen until they start the Kagy Road expansion and that is years away from happening. Still going to be cool to see someday.
I have heard that too but have no idea why that would affect any of MSU's plans. They can see on their plans where the new roads will go and can build accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk