Rivals besides Montana

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldenBobcat86
BobcatNation Redshirt

Rivals besides Montana

Post by GoldenBobcat86 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:47 am

I was asked what other rivals does Montana State have other than Montana. I actually had to think about it for a moment. When I was there and working for the team, the only other game that everyone got excited for was Eastern Washington. But that, I think, had more to do with them having won the national championship a few years ago and both teams were good and played close games. I even heard people say that North Dakota was our "new" rival because we were travel partners with them when they came in 2012. However, I don't consider either EWU or ND as our rivals 2nd to the Griz. A lot of teams to have multiple rivals like Michigan State has Michigan, but they also have Notre Dame, Penn State, and Indiana. Even the Griz have a rivalries with EWU (the Governor's Cup) and Idaho (the Little Brown Stein).

Historically, has Montana State had any other rivalries? I understand that recently that is not the case, and beyond the Great Divide Trophy there are no other traveling trophies or anything. So, does Montana State have another rival or is it only Montana?

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Rivals besides Montana

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:38 am

Because of history in the BSC. ISU,WSU,EWU, and NAU.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:46 am

ISU is a rival, but no trophy for that game for some reason.

Wyoming is a rival for basketball.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:25 pm

I would say EWU is #2 behind the Griz then ISU and NAU. Because we don't have Eastern fans in our faces about it, I don't think most people know how dominant they have been over us. I can't remember the exact number but we have only beat them 2 maybe 3 times in the last 17 years. NAU is always a high intensity game and regardless of how bad we are or ISU is, that is one I think most fans look forward too.

WSUWILDCAT
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 pm

Most Weber State fans consider Montana State one of our rivals, along with Southern Utah, Idaho State and Montana.

GOD BLESS AMERICA AND GO WILDCATS

The Butcher
Golden Bobcat

Post by The Butcher » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:20 pm

I would say recently in football, everyone gets excited for the Eastern game. Historically, I would say ISU is our #2 rival, but ISU has been so bad lately that people have forgotten how intense the series was. As for North Dakota being a rival, I would simply say no. This is even more of a NO since they are leaving the conference. They were a “rival” because of travel not competition.

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:49 pm

North Dakota was a "named" rival in football, meaning we got to play them every year. I think after several years that would have grown into a great rivalry.

I don't really mind the idea of named rivalries for scheduling but Idaho entering the Big Sky and North Dakota leaving calls for a rethinking.
If they just switch Idaho for North Dakota that'd be fine for us as Idaho and Montana as named rivals would be sweet, but Idaho will not like the idea of their rivals including Northern Colorado.

After the reshuffling occurs we might end up with UNCU as a "rival" and that would really suck.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:40 pm

I'd say EWU, Weber and ISU.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:24 pm

EWU, NAU, SUU, Weber

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

Bobcat4Ever

Post by Bobcat4Ever » Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:Most Weber State fans consider Montana State one of our rivals, along with Southern Utah, Idaho State and Montana.
A rivalry only exists if both sides agree.

And I agree with this. After many years of watching not only football, but men's and women's basketball and volleyball I have always looked forward to the Weber games. You have been a consistently good opponent for many years. I remember when you used to send cheerleaders and sometimes dancers for halftime to men's basketball. In the past when we had a connection, we followed the MSU volleyball team on the ISU and WSU road trip. Always hard fought matches at Weber, although sort of a long way to the court from the seats in the Dee!

Over the course of too many years I have to vote for Idaho, Idaho State and Weber State.

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Idaho, EWU are the two I'd point to.

WA_cat33
New Recruit

Post by WA_cat33 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:52 am

EWU has become a good rival in football since they have been so good over the past decade. I also feel like ISU is a good rival because they are the closest school beside UM and EWU.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:39 pm

WSUWILDCAT wrote:Most Weber State fans consider Montana State one of our rivals, along with Southern Utah, Idaho State and Montana.
Weber is without a doubt one of our rivals! During the 60s and 70s when you ALWAYS won the league (except for the good ISU teams in basketball) some of those football games were epic! I still remember brawls between the teams from Weber, ISU and Idaho when MSU played. There was a very strong dislike of anything from Idaho or Utah when I was young and MSU. I think there still is with the older folks.

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:05 am

Cat Grad wrote:
Weber is without a doubt one of our rivals! During the 60s and 70s when you ALWAYS won the league (except for the good ISU teams in basketball) some of those football games were epic! I still remember brawls between the teams from Weber, ISU and Idaho when MSU played. There was a very strong dislike of anything from Idaho or Utah when I was young and MSU. I think there still is with the older folks.

There have been quite a few interesting games between our schools, and it's a history that I hope continues to get stronger as the years go on as Weber (hopefully) continues to be relevant in football.

As far as alignment (protected rivalries) go, Montana State is either gonna end up with UNC or Weber will. But seeing as UND's football "rivals" were MSU and UNC, logically it would seem MSU would get UNC. However Weber is the closest team to UNC and the Weber/ISU rivalry isn't the rivalry it was in the past so I can see them giving ISU to MSU and UNC to Weber.

catbooster
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by catbooster » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:01 am

It will be interesting to see, with UND leaving, Idaho joining and a new commissioner, whether they stick with the same "rivals" scheduling model with a few adjustments for the team changes, or go with a different model.

Mtcatfan

Post by Mtcatfan » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:07 pm

I agree with Weber and ISU. Anyone know the all time win/loss records between MSU and these two schools?

WSUWILDCAT

Post by WSUWILDCAT » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:25 pm

Mtcatfan wrote:I agree with Weber and ISU. Anyone know the all time win/loss records between MSU and these two schools?

Cant give you the series between ISU and MSU, But the Bobcats lead the MSU/WSU series 30-21-1. According to the sltrib article before last season's matchup. Weber received their 21st win in the series last year.

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:00 pm

Bobcats lead Idaho State football all-time 47-28-3. Probably played ISU more than anyone but the griz.

Bobcats are 11-2 in 21st century.

bertram
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by bertram » Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:50 pm

I like the concept of the Big Sky Conf VS Missouri Valley Conf becoming more of a rivalry than it already is.

WalkOn79

Post by WalkOn79 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:13 pm

To me its Weber and ISU due to the long history.

"One of the greatest feelings in the world, moving someone from point A to point B against their will"

Mitch Brott - 2019 Cat / Griz