Scrimmage 8/12

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Scrimmage 8/12

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:04 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
bobcat92 wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:
bobcat92 wrote:Colter also commented that the offense scheme has changed from last year and I think implied this is matching up with Murray's style of play.
That's a good point. Obviously as an 18-year-old Murray had, and has, lots of room for growth. I'm not annoiting him the next McGhee, but he has definitely gotten significantly better. That should surprise no one.
From the tweets I am seeing I would agree. We will find out when the season begins but I think Murray will play much better than last year if only from having that experience. I think Choate made a good choice of hiring DM as QB coach. I think we are going to see the dividends of this in the coming season.
The biggest area of improvement I wanted to see was an increased QB-to-WR connection with Murray and his receivers (Herbert, Kassis, Paige, etc.). From what I read today, those guys "being on the same page" has taken a significant step forward.
Spot on. It ain't just the QB. Coaching and receiving play a huge role. I was going to post a long three-part diatribe on this last night, but I didn't want to bore everyone. 8-[

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:07 pm

lutecat wrote:Did the running backs and wide receivers have rough days? I see they were doing burpies and running. I didn't see the whole scrimmage.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Not according to Twitter. Perhaps there was some kind of pregame contest they lost. ?? I know Andersen looked good. LaSane had a couple fumbles. Maybe they had a minimum drops/fumbles they needed to meet.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:09 pm

I haven't seen any final stats, but Benson, Marks, Chapman sounded good per Twitter.

toM StUber

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:12 pm

Colter on Andersen:
"He just ran right at me on the sideline 3 times. Good luck tackling him...as impressive physical strength for a freshman as I've seen" - (off Twitter)

toM StUber

bobcat92
Member # Retired

Post by bobcat92 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:15 pm

Logan Jones broke on off for a big gain.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Sounds like some broken coverages in the secondary, need to shore that up.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:55 pm

Sullivan looked great at TE. Olinehad some huge block and were jacked one drive in which the really played well. Troy Andersen doesn't run like a high school qb; wow he has talent. I thought Benson and Marks looked great defensively. I like the offense. It looked organized and smooth. A lot of bodies rotated in and out. Lots of positive things; I was impressed with the look.

bobcatbob
Member # Retired

Post by bobcatbob » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:21 pm

The team in this scrimmage today looked 110% better than the first scrimmage last year. There were plenty of big plays on both sides of the ball. Usually at this stage it is not like that as one side usually dominates. Murray has come on with his passing in the last two 11 on 11 matchups. My take with Murray is that he doesn't look that good in practice drills but it is just the opposit when he gets in game type action. He is just the opposite of Bruggerman, who looked good in practice but not in games. Troy Anderson is a freakin beast. He is a much bigger and faster version of Newell. I thought all the RBs looked very good with the exception of LaSane's fumbles. A guy to keep an eye on is the FB Fitzgerald, a freshman from Dillon. He has done really well when given his chances. The receivers looked good. McCutcheon and Kassis looked really good. Also the freshman, Willie Patterson. I don't think they will redshirt Patterson. Connor Sullivan had a very good day. I thought the Oline looked good. I thought Rovig had a good day at QB too. He threw some nice balls. He has a good touch. I really like the depth we have there this year. All in all, I really like what Armstrong is doing with the offense.

On defense, Chase Benson and Marks had really good days. We have a lot more depth at all positions on defense this year. Really liked what I saw all the way around on defense. Yes, they have some things to work on but at this stage I would say we are in great shape.

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:00 pm

Enjoyed the scrimmage. Murray looked really good as did Rovig. Murray looks comfortable in the pocket and checks down better that last year. Chase Benson had a great day as well-sacks and good push. Some of the young freshman players that stood out: Anderson looks good-very athletic and fast....Kanow looked good-good speed made some plays, Jackson McCleary made some great plays along with Travis Yates who stuffed some goal line attempts and pressured the QB when not double teamed. We have some good depth on Defense with some young guys that I think can contribute if need be.

Helcat72
Golden Bobcat

Post by Helcat72 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Jslen Cole made some great pkays too...the DB's looked really good as a whole...

2024 Resume dominance

bgskyfan
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by bgskyfan » Sat Aug 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Yeah your right Jalen Cole did well also.....its comforting to know we have some solid up and comers.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:25 pm

WATCH: Montana State fall camp: Jeff Choate after 1st scrimmage
http://skylinesportsmt.com/choate-first ... age-video/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 4:30 pm

bgskyfan wrote:Yeah your right Jalen Cole did well also.....its comforting to know we have some solid up and comers.
I'm not so sure Cole is still an up-and-comer. More like a here-to-stayer.

toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:07 pm

WATCH: Montana State fall camp: MSU captains after first scrimmage
http://skylinesportsmt.com/msu-captains ... ge-videos/

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Sat Aug 12, 2017 8:07 pm

Quarterbacks shine in first Bobcat scrimmage
http://skylinesportsmt.com/quarterbacks ... scrimmage/

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:02 pm

bgskyfan wrote:Enjoyed the scrimmage. Murray looked really good as did Rovig. Murray looks comfortable in the pocket and checks down better that last year. Chase Benson had a great day as well-sacks and good push. Some of the young freshman players that stood out: Anderson looks good-very athletic and fast....Kanow looked good-good speed made some plays, Jackson McCleary made some great plays along with Travis Yates who stuffed some goal line attempts and pressured the QB when not double teamed. We have some good depth on Defense with some young guys that I think can contribute if need be.
I hope that Rovig pushes the sh#t out of Murray and forces him to keep doing what he needs to do as a passer. I have not seen anyone play since last year so I cannot comment on anything other than the stats, but Rovig should not be this good, this soon!!!

I listened to Choate's comments on the QB's and it is clear he is staying away from giving Rovig too much press in order to keep Chris clear on the fact that he is the starter...BUT...there is a train coming and I've been calling it.

Go Chris go, keep growing and throwing, and running...because there is some serious talent behind you!

Catfanatic84
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Catfanatic84 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:52 am

Looking like Rovig is likely the backup? Or does he redshirt this season?

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:01 am

Catfanatic84 wrote:Looking like Rovig is likely the backup? Or does he redshirt this season?
If I were a betting man, I'd bet he redshirts...with a huge "BUT"... :D

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:48 am

catsrback76 wrote:
Catfanatic84 wrote:Looking like Rovig is likely the backup? Or does he redshirt this season?
If I were a betting man, I'd bet he redshirts...with a huge "BUT"... :D
McChesney will most likely enter the season as the backup. From there it gets very complicated, because it's hard to say that McChesney is the long term no. 2 option in the event Murray is a bust or gets hurt and I'm not certain who's ahead (looks like Rovig for now) among the three freshmen. He may fill in to finish a game, but give way the next game or shortly after. If Rovig, May or O'Reilly is the no. 2, then you'd think they'd play some downs in the first game and consequent games in order to be ready. If that doesn't happen, then I think you stick with McChesney as long as possible.

Edit: after reading my own post it seems best to just say it's too early to tell.

toM StUber

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:10 am

My guess-

May and McChesney are the backups this year. I think the coaches would love to redshirt Rovig, unless they absolutely need him (due to a murray injury or something).

I think O'Reilly's future is at another position (along with May, starting next year).

Especially with Bauman coming in next year. Between him and Rovig, one of those 2 will be the future starter after Murray is done. Assuming Murray is the starter until he graduates- at that point Rovig would be a redshirt Junior and Bauman a redshirt Sophomore.

Who frickin knows though. Just look at what happened with the QB situation the last couple years- Quin McQuerey leaves the program (would have been the starter after prukop left), Prukop leaves early (was the starter), Bruggman brought in as a big dropdown (is not any good and loses the starting job), Jordan Hoy leaves the program (thinking bruggman beat him out, has a huge year at new school), forced to start a true freshman in Murray (and he tea-bags the grizz)...... it never really seems to pan out the way you plan it.

FTG- GO CATS GO!