QB/ATH Kaleb Winterburn Commits!

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Re: QB/ATH Kaleb Winterburn Commits!

Post by iaafan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:04 am

Oh no I agree. Gilman is a better OLB than QB.

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:41 am

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:I don't expect Winterburn to put up all state numbers at QB. I liken him to Gilman. Great athlete/football player playing out of position in relative terms. Like Gilman he'll be good at QB, but his best days lie ahead of him on the defensive side of the ball.
Currently, Gilman is a step above Winterburn as a football player. Tadan had already earned 1st-Team AA All-State honors at OLB his junior year before earning 1st-Team All-State honors at QB his senior year (only one season). He was always a known commodity on defense to recruiters so I don't think that comparison is accurate because we haven't seen Kaleb play defense yet. In my opinion, Winterburn's situation is comparable to a kid like Callahan O'Reilly in last year's recruiting class. Good athlete/leader who plays QB but may have more potential on defense in college.
Was Winterburn even in the rotation on defense last year or did they keep him out altogether just to keep him healthy for offense? Do we know the plan for this year, is he again a 1-way player?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:49 am

RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:I don't expect Winterburn to put up all state numbers at QB. I liken him to Gilman. Great athlete/football player playing out of position in relative terms. Like Gilman he'll be good at QB, but his best days lie ahead of him on the defensive side of the ball.
Currently, Gilman is a step above Winterburn as a football player. Tadan had already earned 1st-Team AA All-State honors at OLB his junior year before earning 1st-Team All-State honors at QB his senior year (only one season). He was always a known commodity on defense to recruiters so I don't think that comparison is accurate because we haven't seen Kaleb play defense yet. In my opinion, Winterburn's situation is comparable to a kid like Callahan O'Reilly in last year's recruiting class. Good athlete/leader who plays QB but may have more potential on defense in college.
Was Winterburn even in the rotation on defense last year or did they keep him out altogether just to keep him healthy for offense? Do we know the plan for this year, is he again a 1-way player?
He only played QB his junior season. No defense.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:04 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
It sure would be nice if he did play. Selfishly I would like to see him get some reps on that side of the ball preparing him for the next level. But I totally get it if TA holds him out. If you have the luxury of only having your QB play one way, you do it.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:05 pm

RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
It sure would be nice if he did play. Selfishly I would like to see him get some reps on that side of the ball preparing him for the next level. But I totally get it if TA holds him out. If you have the luxury of only having your QB play one way, you do it.
Plus they already have two decent options at safety in Emmett Buckley and Max Mader who played their last year and did just fine.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:31 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:What I'm saying is Winterburn, like Gilman last year only, is playing out of the position that he plays best in relative terms. Comparison ends there. I'm not comparing Winterburns ability to play defense to Gilman's. Both are athletic in their own ways, but not many similarities.
I understood but I view Gilman as a better OLB than QB in high school. That's the only difference in our discussion.
I don't see Winterburn as an effective QB at this level. He has a good stature and body size that could be swapped around to many positions on either side of the ball, but I don't see QB as one of them, but congrats to Kaleb on becoming a Cat!

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by lutecat » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:42 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Plus they already have two decent options at safety in Emmett Buckley and Max Mader who played their last year and did just fine.
Well are we recruiting them? Because if you're saying they are better then him on d then we should be recruiting them, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:49 pm

lutecat wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
RobertCats wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Well are we recruiting them? Because if you're saying they are better then him on d then we should be recruiting them, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
You should've posted a wink smilie with that one.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:06 pm

Helena’s Winterburn excited for transition as Bobcat
http://skylinesportsmt.com/helenas-wint ... as-bobcat/

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Even if Winterburn was going to UM I'd be rooting for him.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
iaafan wrote:He's #20 on Ross board, #23 on Vim's.
Rankings from our 2nd installment of a 4-series ranking. 1st one happens right after signing day, 2nd one right after track season is over, 3rd one right before their senior years begin, and the final one in January before Signing Day. Several Cat and Griz commits moved up the board after their senior seasons last year. Kaleb is right in that category and he will be in competition for 1st-Team AA All-State QB with gunslinger Kevin Boes of Great Falls High, dual-threat QB Levi Janacaro of Missoula Big Sky, and Glacier QB Brady Pfeiffer (his offensive weapons are the best in the state). There will also be several talented juniors in AA like Kris Brown of Bozeman and Rylan Ortt of Sentinel. A sleeper QB will be Cade Torgerson of Billings Senior. He transferred from Shepherd for his senior year and comes from a run-heavy zone-read system. Not gonna say he will put up Nate Dick numbers but he is coming into a good situation because Senior still has weapons including the best player in the state.
I think Aaron White from Shelby is a top QB in this class. Hes got a good arm and has the ability to scramble and take off with the ball when he needs too. I dont know if he is a FCS caliber QB, but he has got the talent and mechanics to have a shot at it. I have not seen Cade Torgerson play in person yet so i will have to watch him more closely throughout the upcoming season.
QBs
1. Kevin Boes (Great Falls High)
2. Aaron White (Shelby)
3. Garrett Graves (Eureka)
4. Kaleb Winterburn (Helena High) (ATH)
5. Levi Janacaro (Big Sky) (ATH)
6. Brady Peiffer (Kalispell Glacier)
7. Darrin Wersal (Glasgow)

RobertCats
Member # Retired

Post by RobertCats » Mon Jul 31, 2017 11:41 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
Rankings from our 2nd installment of a 4-series ranking. 1st one happens right after signing day, 2nd one right after track season is over, 3rd one right before their senior years begin, and the final one in January before Signing Day. Several Cat and Griz commits moved up the board after their senior seasons last year. Kaleb is right in that category and he will be in competition for 1st-Team AA All-State QB with gunslinger Kevin Boes of Great Falls High, dual-threat QB Levi Janacaro of Missoula Big Sky, and Glacier QB Brady Pfeiffer (his offensive weapons are the best in the state). There will also be several talented juniors in AA like Kris Brown of Bozeman and Rylan Ortt of Sentinel. A sleeper QB will be Cade Torgerson of Billings Senior. He transferred from Shepherd for his senior year and comes from a run-heavy zone-read system. Not gonna say he will put up Nate Dick numbers but he is coming into a good situation because Senior still has weapons including the best player in the state.
I think Aaron White from Shelby is a top QB in this class. Hes got a good arm and has the ability to scramble and take off with the ball when he needs too. I dont know if he is a FCS caliber QB, but he has got the talent and mechanics to have a shot at it. I have not seen Cade Torgerson play in person yet so i will have to watch him more closely throughout the upcoming season.
QBs
2. Aaron White (Shelby)
Ugh Nice............We have all three of the Class B kids from this list on our schedule this year. Thanks for the added stress Howard :lol: :lol:

Oh well, to be the best you gotta beat the best right?

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:05 pm

RobertCats wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
QBs
2. Aaron White (Shelby)
Ugh Nice............We have all three of the Class B kids from this list on our schedule this year. Thanks for the added stress Howard :lol: :lol:

Oh well, to be the best you gotta beat the best right?

Perfect way of looking at it!! =D^

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Aug 26, 2017 6:14 am

Three TD passes in 28-27 win over CMR.

toM StUber