Official Shrine Game thread

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Catastrophy11
BobcatNation Letterman

Re: Official Shrine Game thread

Post by Catastrophy11 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:27 pm

go96griz wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Watching it right now on the CW. I don't think it is the shrine game, I am pretty sure I am watching a Griz game. All I have heard from the 2 a$$hats doing the commentary is everything UM. Very disappointing that they just can't find unbiased people to do a game like this. It really ruins everything when you have to sit and watch and listen to their constant stupidity.
Yep, Bruce Parker, former MSU Associate AD, is a real Griz homer!

I think these announcers are doing a very good impartial job!!
Wow, I can't believe an announcer needs to be all that sensitive to the "feelings" of a College booster when he's talking about all*star High School athletes playing in an all*star game. The announcers are talking about the guys playing the game, how they are doing, what's working and not working. This game was Not about a couple of Universities a few of these players are going to, Nor a bunch of colleges many more are going to. It was about the players. How can the announcers pick who is going to do well and who may play poorly? :-({|=

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:04 pm

Catastrophy11 wrote:
go96griz wrote:
GoCats18 wrote:Watching it right now on the CW. I don't think it is the shrine game, I am pretty sure I am watching a Griz game. All I have heard from the 2 a$$hats doing the commentary is everything UM. Very disappointing that they just can't find unbiased people to do a game like this. It really ruins everything when you have to sit and watch and listen to their constant stupidity.
Yep, Bruce Parker, former MSU Associate AD, is a real Griz homer!

I think these announcers are doing a very good impartial job!!
Wow, I can't believe an announcer needs to be all that sensitive to the "feelings" of a College booster when he's talking about all*star High School athletes playing in an all*star game. The announcers are talking about the guys playing the game, how they are doing, what's working and not working. This game was Not about a couple of Universities a few of these players are going to, Nor a bunch of colleges many more are going to. It was about the players. How can the announcers pick who is going to do well and who may play poorly? :-({|=
It's about children with dibilitating injuries, too.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

GoCats18
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by GoCats18 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Exactly. This game is a fund raising opportunity as well as a chance for a few kids to play their last high school game. I just heard a lot of talk about UM when I first turned the game on. That's all. Game was good. Lots of talent. Loved seeing the small town kids playing to the level of the AA kids. Heard a lot of the same names throughout the game. Some kids going to UM, some to MSU and some to other schools. Incase you missed it and it was only mentioned 32 times, Nate Dick works at Rib and Chop. He is a stud, Griz got a good one there if Stitt doesn't screw that one up. Felt like we had a pretty good showing by our recruits. Football can't come soon enough.

Punters are people too!!

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:35 am

Dang It! This was an All-star game for the benefit of the Children's Hospital in Spokane. All the kids did a great job and I was very impressed with the West coaching staff getting every kid on their team equal play time! I left Herb Klindt Field knowing the game of football is highly respected by some great men on that West staff. There are times when we as coaches, parents and fans forget what this type of game means to all the kids selected to play in this type of game. Respect the game is a rather trite cliche that the kids from the West will always understand after tonight. Yep. The Cats and Griz got some great ballplayers headed their way and yep, some of the even smaller schools than ours are getting great kids. I can't wait to see how some of the kids who played tonight do in college. I can even tell you which ones were high school heroes who will get their cheap shot and/or cocky arse knocked into next week in college...Love and respect this game. Next to the military, it is as close to a real team as there is in life.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:59 am

Announcers did a great job. Like many others have already said before, this game is about the kids from Shriners Hospital being honored, and those selected to have a chance to play in this special game. I thought the announcers talked about all schools across all levels equally and to the right extent.

The future cat players looked very good out there. O'Riley looked good, and has already established a very consistent hook-up with another future cat play, and that is something to look forward to for Cat fans. Welnel looked great as usual, and someone I was very impressed with was Welnel's former teammate Colin Sassano. I believe he is headed to Carroll College to play safety, but I think he easily could have been a stud safety for the cats or griz. He's got size, and goddamn he flies around and isn't afraid to put his body on the line. After the shrine game I went back and watched his film from senior year and I think Carroll got a gem in that kid.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:14 am

I was blown away by Keaton Anderson. I thought he was the best defender on the field, yet he catches two TDs, including the game winner. I wonder what his receiving numbers would've been if he had played WR only in high school.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:40 am

I left impressed with two particular receivers from the west: Mitch Roberts and Rensvold. I can't wait to see what Wilson and Hoerner accomplish in college and I really like the Miller kid. I think those kids all made wise choices as to where they go to school and of course there are several more who with a little more teaching and concentration solely on football will amaze us. I left Klindt Field really impressed with a lot of young men and their mentors in this game.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Ty Morgan with a few years in the weight room and at the training table could be a very good D lineman.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:45 pm

Bozcat003 wrote:Really like how Tadan Gilman looks! Maybe not getting all that many tackles but extremely disruptive.

Wish we could've seen Jaxen Hashley and Troy Anderson in this game!
Didn't get to see the Shrine game but Tadan Gilman and Troy Anderson were two of the most impressive to me a few weeks ago in the Badlands bowl. Anyone know of a replay of the game last night?

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:03 pm

TomCat88 wrote:I'm taking the East to win this year. Game is Saturday, July 15, in Billings at 7:00.
Teamwork and sacrifice for the team gave East the edge. West had good talent too, but Dick and Anderson know how to get everyone working together.

toM StUber

superbobcat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by superbobcat » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:31 am

Why did Anderson and Hashley not play? Injuries?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:35 am

superbobcat wrote:Why did Anderson and Hashley not play? Injuries?
Andersen decided to heal up a nagging injury from the All-Star Basketball game and Badlands Bowl. Hashley played in the All-Star Basketball game but opted out of the Badlands Bowl and Shrine game to rehab his knee to get ready for fall camp. No bad injuries just normal rehab.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:56 am

It really hurt the West not having these two players. Did Keaton Anderson play much at DB or was he only in at wr?

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:59 am

iaafan wrote:It really hurt the West not having these two players. Did Keaton Anderson play much at DB or was he only in at wr?
Played both safety and wide receiver. Him and fellow safety Jemal Williams made a huge 4th and short stop of the West offense to get the East the ball back up one touchdown in the 4th.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:13 am

Non Griz or Cat recruits that I thought did well in the spotlight:

WR - Chandler Allen (Fairfield) - might have had the best game out of any non-FCS recruit; Chandler belongs in my opinion and Montana Tech got a steal

DE - Bret Delp (Circle) - was wondering how the former 6'3", 200 lb. QB would handle DE duties full-time and he didn't disappoint with 1.5 sacks and a few TFLs; good long athlete who has a ton of room to add weight

MLB - Pat O'Connell (Glacier) - in two all-star games with the best of the best, Pat did nothing but perform consistently at MLB

TE/WR - Nate McGree (Butte Central) - great looking football player; Carroll College has a future in-state stud with Nate

RB - Ryan Arntson (Helena High) - no one on the East stopped him

LB/DL - Peter Hamilton, Jr. (Cut Bank) - showed great strength and ability on the defensive line; MLB in high school but the West offensive line struggled with Peter

WR/KR - Bailey Paddock (Bozeman) - did a bit of everything and I'm not surprised he won the East offensive MVP; Chandler Allen also had a case but Bailey also performed in the return game

OL - Jaylen Taggart (Hamilton) - played well on the offensive line; will be a TE for Montana Tech and he's already around playing weight for the position

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:44 am

VimSince03 wrote:Non Griz or Cat recruits that I thought did well in the spotlight:

WR - Chandler Allen (Fairfield) - might have had the best game out of any non-FCS recruit; Chandler belongs in my opinion and Montana Tech got a steal

DE - Bret Delp (Circle) - was wondering how the former 6'3", 200 lb. QB would handle DE duties full-time and he didn't disappoint with 1.5 sacks and a few TFLs; good long athlete who has a ton of room to add weight

MLB - Pat O'Connell (Glacier) - in two all-star games with the best of the best, Pat did nothing but perform consistently at MLB

TE/WR - Nate McGree (Butte Central) - great looking football player; Carroll College has a future in-state stud with Nate

RB - Ryan Arntson (Helena High) - no one on the East stopped him

LB/DL - Peter Hamilton, Jr. (Cut Bank) - showed great strength and ability on the defensive line; MLB in high school but the West offensive line struggled with Peter

WR/KR - Bailey Paddock (Bozeman) - did a bit of everything and I'm not surprised he won the East offensive MVP; Chandler Allen also had a case but Bailey also performed in the return game

OL - Jaylen Taggart (Hamilton) - played well on the offensive line; will be a TE for Montana Tech and he's already around playing weight for the position
Colin Sassano- saftey out of Capital High. Overlooked due to Welnel being the stud from that school but is heading to Carroll and man he flies around. Got a pick and I don't have an exact number on tackles but I saw him more then once lay the boom on Dick in the early half of the game, and consistently in on tackles for the west. Personally I think he could play FCS with his size and willingness to risk his body to lay the wood. He might lack speed compared to other Big Sky DB's but I'd put him OT there and let him fly around.

Cat Grad
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cat Grad » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:29 pm

The kid who punted for the West can be like the former Cat long snapper who spent over a dozen years in the NFL, Mariani and to a certain extent Colt Anderson have made a career out of special team play. I don't know whether he'd consider going the Ray Guy route but all NFL teams are full of special team players and he has a great leg.