Singleton ranked #47 in CFL

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Singleton ranked #47 in CFL

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:25 pm

TSN is ranking its top 50. Singleton is #47.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: Singleton ranked #47 in CFL

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:45 am

https://twitter.com/TSN_Sports/status/880622573263966212

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:15 pm

https://twitter.com/alexsingleton49/status/889303287517691904

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:28 am

https://twitter.com/CFLonTSN/status/909227420280123398

Long Time Cat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Long Time Cat » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:53 am

"Confidence is contagious. So is a lack of confidence." Vince Lombardi

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:52 am

Wow. Alex may be the best linebacker in the CFL.

https://www.cfl.ca/2017/10/05/best-of-a ... 17-so-far/

spider
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spider » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:28 am

Singleton should get another shot at the NFL.

As an aside, Chad Kanow plays much like a young Alex Singleton. Let's hope he can have the same impact Alex did while at MSU.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:35 am

yeah, I would think that the best LB in the CFL is at least good enough to make an NFL team??? Maybe not necessarily be starter, but at least a backup, and key special teams player.... Maybe I'm wrong though...

Anyway, Singleton is a beast! pretty sweet that he is having a successful career up north.

FTG- GO CATS GO!

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:41 am

mslacatfan wrote:yeah, I would think that the best LB in the CFL is at least good enough to make an NFL team??? Maybe not necessarily be starter, but at least a backup, and key special teams player.... Maybe I'm wrong though...

Anyway, Singleton is a beast! pretty sweet that he is having a successful career up north.
He played some great ball with the Seahawks while he was there, I think he's definitely good enough for the NFL and so is Minter.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:17 am

mslacatfan wrote:yeah, I would think that the best LB in the CFL is at least good enough to make an NFL team??? Maybe not necessarily be starter, but at least a backup, and key special teams player.... Maybe I'm wrong though...

I agree! You would think that some NFL team would take a flyer on Alex. On a CFL twitter they said that Alex is being mentioned as a candidate for virtually every end of season award. There was buzz that he could break the CFL single season record for tackles!

What is equally impressive is his demeanor and civic engagement. He has become a Stampeders representative for media appearances and volunteers for Special Olympic events, etc. Just a classy dude! Hopefully he is getting some decent endorsement deals and doesn’t need to go to the NFL for a larger payday. I am not sure how that works in Canada, but the CFL plays in some good size markets in Edmonton, Calgary, Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal. I could never understand why Lulay or Dickenson never got another shot in the NFL after winning MVP and titles. Maybe they didn’t want to???

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:57 pm

Watching the Calgary game right now, and the announcers are raving about him. Have said Montana State several times =D^

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:05 pm

Cataholic wrote:I agree! You would think that some NFL team would take a flyer on Alex.

I could never understand why Lulay or Dickenson never got another shot in the NFL after winning MVP and titles. Maybe they didn’t want to???
Well, the answer for Dickenson is easy. He was 5'11" and in his 30s, and not a household name. The only way a QB under 6' gets a second shot in his 30s is if people all across the nation have heard of him. So basically only Doug Flutie. :lol:

In general, though, the reason CFL guys don't end up in the NFL very often is that the guys who try are risking a lot and are rarely rewarded for it. You pretty much have to give up a minimum of one CFL season to even try out for the NFL. There's basically no chance of catching on with an NFL team during the second half of the season after playing the 18-game CFL season, missing all of the NFL's training camps and preseason work, and having zero familiarity with the team's playbook. So instead, you have to leave your CFL team to do all the summer work with an NFL team that still considers you an unknown (anyone who didn't play in the NFL the previous season is considered an unknown by coaches and GMs) and has no real investment in you. And if you get cut (which you probably will), you're at least 2/3 of the way through the CFL season and your old team has moved on without you. They may very well not want to mess with a lineup that has already practiced and played together for most of a season. So that's a whole season gone in which you basically didn't get paid, since players don't get game checks for pre-season games.

Plus, you're just going to get cut. Unless you absolutely blow everyone away, they'd rather go with an incumbent player or a rookie. They've already invested money and time in the incumbent players, and any success that a rookie has makes someone on the staff look good. Publicly, his postition coach, coordinator, and HC get credit for a rookie's play, and the GM gets the credit for picking him. Internally, whichever coaches and front office personnel were pushing to draft that rookie will get credit for him. Even an undrafted player probably had a coach or a scout wanting to draft him in the 6th or 7th round. If the CFL guy succeeds, the media will mostly give credit to the player. Nobody will get internal credit for wanting to draft him, since he wasn't in the draft. Management has no incentive to see him succeed.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:46 pm

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:
Cataholic wrote:I agree! You would think that some NFL team would take a flyer on Alex.

I could never understand why Lulay or Dickenson never got another shot in the NFL after winning MVP and titles. Maybe they didn’t want to???
Well, the answer for Dickenson is easy. He was 5'11" and in his 30s, and not a household name. The only way a QB under 6' gets a second shot in his 30s is if people all across the nation have heard of him. So basically only Doug Flutie. :lol:

In general, though, the reason CFL guys don't end up in the NFL very often is that the guys who try are risking a lot and are rarely rewarded for it. You pretty much have to give up a minimum of one CFL season to even try out for the NFL. There's basically no chance of catching on with an NFL team during the second half of the season after playing the 18-game CFL season, missing all of the NFL's training camps and preseason work, and having zero familiarity with the team's playbook. So instead, you have to leave your CFL team to do all the summer work with an NFL team that still considers you an unknown (anyone who didn't play in the NFL the previous season is considered an unknown by coaches and GMs) and has no real investment in you. And if you get cut (which you probably will), you're at least 2/3 of the way through the CFL season and your old team has moved on without you. They may very well not want to mess with a lineup that has already practiced and played together for most of a season. So that's a whole season gone in which you basically didn't get paid, since players don't get game checks for pre-season games.

Plus, you're just going to get cut. Unless you absolutely blow everyone away, they'd rather go with an incumbent player or a rookie. They've already invested money and time in the incumbent players, and any success that a rookie has makes someone on the staff look good. Publicly, his postition coach, coordinator, and HC get credit for a rookie's play, and the GM gets the credit for picking him. Internally, whichever coaches and front office personnel were pushing to draft that rookie will get credit for him. Even an undrafted player probably had a coach or a scout wanting to draft him in the 6th or 7th round. If the CFL guy succeeds, the media will mostly give credit to the player. Nobody will get internal credit for wanting to draft him, since he wasn't in the draft. Management has no incentive to see him succeed.
Your theory makes some good points, but the NFL finds talent wherever it is. A quick google search show that 3 CFL stars last saeason are now with NFL teams: receiver Derel Walker, tight end Antony Auclair and linebacker Deon Lacey -- are now on NFL rosters. (Walker and Auclair are with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers; Lacey is with the Miami Dolphins.). Not household names but standout enough, they will find you. With Alex getting serious consideration as CFL defensive player of the year and challenging league season records, you would think that he is going to get an NFL look. My recollection was that NFL minimum is about 8 times more than the CFL standard salary. Additionally, if Alex gets cut in the NFL, CFL teams should line up as a result of his recent accomplishments.

Pecos24
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Pecos24 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:01 pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bill Zander
CS '93
AKA - "F'n sorry ass"

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:16 pm

Pecos24 wrote:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
New single season record for tackles and he still has two regular season games left!

technoCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by technoCat » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Why do they keep calling him a Canadian player? Isn't he from California?

DIE HARD CATS FAN SINCE THE DAY I WAS BORN

coachouert
Golden Bobcat

Post by coachouert » Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:26 pm

technoCat wrote:Why do they keep calling him a Canadian player? Isn't he from California?
He has dual citizenship.

Cat_stache_fever listens to Nickelback...and enjoys it.