Gardenhire

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Gardenhire

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:26 pm

https://twitter.com/wabermes/status/877300946015014912
Following the arrests, MSU football coach Jeff Choate suspended Gardenhire and Hale from the team.

Avignone said Gardenhire was also suspended from MSU during the spring semester but that he will apply to to re-enroll this fall.

“He made a bad decision, placed himself at the wrong place at the wrong time with the wrong people,” Avignone said. “I think he’s a special kid. I think he’ll stay out of trouble. And I think he’ll be a great football player.”

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Re: Gardenhire

Post by TomCat88 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:58 pm

Dropping the misdemeanor, but pleading guilty to the felony? That's not much of a lesser charge. Can you plead guilty to a felony and still get back on the football team at MSU?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

Cledus
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cledus » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:32 pm

Guess we'll find out.

UM is the university equivalent of Axe Body Spray and essential oils.

SACCAT
Member # Retired

Post by SACCAT » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:27 pm

I don't think he (or anyone else) is, or should be, thinking about football. I hope he does his time (or whatever he needs to do) and becomes a perfect example of what a second chance can do. I wish him the best, and hope nothing but good things for him.

Montanabob
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:19 am

TomCat88 wrote:Dropping the misdemeanor, but pleading guilty to the felony? That's not much of a lesser charge. Can you plead guilty to a felony and still get back on the football team at MSU?
Read it again. Felony dropped, guilty for misdemeanor with, wait for it, FOUR years probation!
I still think he should be dumped but the rules say he can play. I do think we need public admission as to exactly what he was booted from UM. Maybe wasn't​ pee test, maybe he was doing something else and the UW staff didn't want to risk a lawsuit.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:05 am

Montanabob wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Dropping the misdemeanor, but pleading guilty to the felony? That's not much of a lesser charge. Can you plead guilty to a felony and still get back on the football team at MSU?
Read it again. Felony dropped, guilty for misdemeanor with, wait for it, FOUR years probation!
I still think he should be dumped but the rules say he can play. I do think we need public admission as to exactly what he was booted from UM. Maybe wasn't​ pee test, maybe he was doing something else and the UW staff didn't want to risk a lawsuit.
While I think that is what happened, the confusion is in a previous paragraph:
Darren Gardenhire, 20, is scheduled to plead guilty and be sentenced for felony criminal possession of dangerous drugs on July 19 before Gallatin County District Court Judge John Brown.
(Kind of the same kind of error that you made when you wrote he was booted from UM and then later corrected it to UW). Proofreading isn't what it used to be :)

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dayday » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:43 am

Rich K wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Darren Gardenhire, 20, is scheduled to plead guilty and be sentenced for felony criminal possession of dangerous drugs on July 19 before Gallatin County District Court Judge John Brown.
(Kind of the same kind of error that you made when you wrote he was booted from UM and then later corrected it to UW). Proofreading isn't what it used to be :)
I just think some of you Cat fans do not know how to read carefully. We learn how to do that in Missoula. He plead to a lesser felony of possession instead of a felony intent to distribute. He got the misdemeanor dropped. He did not plead guilty to a misdemeanor. You cannot get more than a year for a misdemeanor. So if he gets back on your team then Choate is allowing a convicted felon on the team. I doubt he would.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:54 am

dayday wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
I just think some of you Cat fans do not know how to read carefully. We learn how to do that in Missoula. He plead to a lesser felony of possession instead of a felony intent to distribute. He got the misdemeanor dropped. He did not plead guilty to a misdemeanor. You cannRealfun28ot get more than a year for a misdemeanor. So if he gets back on your team then Choate is allowing a convicted felon on the team. I doubt he would.
Ok. It was a typo on UM instead of UW. Just so used to seeing it as UM.
But Griz fan dayday still doesn't know the difference between charged with and convicted.
Charged with felony and misdemeanor.
Plee deal with felony dropped and guilty of misdemeanor.
Four years deferred = 4 years probation.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:05 am

Montanabob: According to the article Gardenhire is pleading guilty to *felony* possession. Not felony intent to distribute, but still a felony. Unless the article is wrong and he is pleading guilty to misdemeanor possession.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:46 am

I had heard rumors of a chance of Gardenhire coming back but it was my understanding that would only be if he pled guilty to a misdemeanor. A felony is a totally different ball game.

Personally, I don't think there's any way Gardenhire comes back. I've heard he's a good guy, a strong student and is well liked in the locker room, but I think he just has too many strikes against him at this point.

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dayday » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:49 am

Montanabob wrote:
dayday wrote:
Rich K wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
I just think some of you Cat fans do not know how to read carefully. We learn how to do that in Missoula. He plead to a lesser felony of possession instead of a felony intent to distribute. He got the misdemeanor dropped. He did not plead guilty to a misdemeanor. You cannRealfun28ot get more than a year for a misdemeanor. So if he gets back on your team then Choate is allowing a convicted felon on the team. I doubt he would.
Ok. It was a typo on UM instead of UW. Just so used to seeing it as UM.
But Griz fan dayday still doesn't know the difference between charged with and convicted.
Charged with felony and misdemeanor.
Plee deal with felony dropped and guilty of misdemeanor.
Four years deferred = 4 years probation.
There is no way to get 4 years probation for a misdemeanor. The most you could get is a year. Just trust me on this as someone that understands criminal laws quite well. He is pleading to a felony. He is pleading to possession charge instead of intent to distribute charge. So it is a better felony but still a felony nonetheless.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:51 am

iaafan wrote:Montanabob: According to the article Gardenhire is pleading guilty to *felony* possession. Not felony intent to distribute, but still a felony. Unless the article is wrong and he is pleading guilty to misdemeanor possession.
Did you all get a diploma printed on pink paper?

Gardenhire was arrested and charged in April with felony criminal distribution of dangerous drugs and misdemeanor criminal possession of dangerous drugs.

But, per an agreement with the Gallatin County Attorney’s Office, Gardenhire will plead guilty to the lesser charge. Defense attorney Al Avignone will recommend Gardenhire receive a four-year deferred sentence and pay a $2,500 fine.

Do you want me to spell out less charge "misdemeanor"

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:00 am

Montanabob wrote:
iaafan wrote:Montanabob: According to the article Gardenhire is pleading guilty to *felony* possession. Not felony intent to distribute, but still a felony. Unless the article is wrong and he is pleading guilty to misdemeanor possession.
Did you all get a diploma printed on pink paper?

Gardenhire was arrested and charged in April with felony criminal distribution of dangerous drugs and misdemeanor criminal possession of dangerous drugs.

But, per an agreement with the Gallatin County Attorney’s Office, Gardenhire will plead guilty to the lesser charge. Defense attorney Al Avignone will recommend Gardenhire receive a four-year deferred sentence and pay a $2,500 fine.

Do you want me to spell out less charge "misdemeanor"
Haha.....I think you need to look in the mirror pal.

Here's the quote from the article.
Darren Gardenhire, 20, is scheduled to plead guilty and be sentenced for felony criminal possession of dangerous drugs
Meaning "felony criminal possession" is less severe than "felony criminal distribution"

Still pleading guilty to a felony, just a lesser felony.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:10 am

So they dropped the felony distribution and bumped up the original misdemeanor possession to felony possession?

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:16 am

Apparently. So instead of a misdemeanor and felony, he just gets a felony. That doesn't seem like much of a plea bargain. I would've tried for two misdemeanors. Maybe the reporter got it wrong and Montanabob works for that attorney or down at the clerk of court's office? One misdemeanor wouldn't be too bad.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:26 am

This put a little shiner on our program, so personally I don't think he should come back, regardless of whether it a misdemeanor or not. He truly may be a great kid who made a mistake, but in this particular case Coach needs to separate himself from this ordeal as much as possible. There as a small minority who wanted Choate fired for this.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

LTown Cat
Golden Bobcat

Post by LTown Cat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:27 am

CelticCat wrote:This put a little shiner on our program, so personally I don't think he should come back, regardless of whether it a misdemeanor or not. He truly may be a great kid who made a mistake, but in this particular case Coach needs to separate himself from this ordeal as much as possible. There as a small minority who wanted Choate fired for this.
I agree. Part ways, wish him well.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:34 am

CelticCat wrote:This put a little shiner on our program, so personally I don't think he should come back, regardless of whether it a misdemeanor or not. He truly may be a great kid who made a mistake, but in this particular case Coach needs to separate himself from this ordeal as much as possible. There as a small minority who wanted Choate fired for this.
I agree. Kid hasn't played a snap yet, and can't until 2018, and he's already in court. Choate took a chance, it didn't work out. Part ways with him.

spider
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by spider » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:37 am

dayday wrote:There is no way to get 4 years probation for a misdemeanor. The most you could get is a year. Just trust me on this as someone that understands criminal laws quite well. He is pleading to a felony. He is pleading to possession charge instead of intent to distribute charge. So it is a better felony but still a felony nonetheless.
If you're equating "probation" with a deferred imposition of sentence, which it appears you are, a misdemeanant can indeed be sentenced to a deferral period longer than 1 year. If a financial obligation is imposed as part of the sentence, the period of deferral can be as long as 2 years. See Mont. Code Ann. 46-18-201(1)(a)(ii). Of course, my MSU-impaired reading comprehension skills could be to blame for my interpretation of the law. I believe you are correct, however, that Gardenhire will plead to the "lesser" felony of possession.

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:41 am

Hawks86 wrote:So they dropped the felony distribution and bumped up the original misdemeanor possession to felony possession?
That is how i read the article, unless it was a misprint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk