Gardenhire

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Re: Gardenhire

Post by dayday » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:27 am

spider wrote:
dayday wrote:There is no way to get 4 years probation for a misdemeanor. The most you could get is a year. Just trust me on this as someone that understands criminal laws quite well. He is pleading to a felony. He is pleading to possession charge instead of intent to distribute charge. So it is a better felony but still a felony nonetheless.
If you're equating "probation" with a deferred imposition of sentence, which it appears you are, a misdemeanant can indeed be sentenced to a deferral period longer than 1 year. If a financial obligation is imposed as part of the sentence, the period of deferral can be as long as 2 years. See Mont. Code Ann. 46-18-201(1)(a)(ii). Of course, my MSU-impaired reading comprehension skills could be to blame for my interpretation of the law. I believe you are correct, however, that Gardenhire will plead to the "lesser" felony of possession.
Yeah looking at the statute looks like you can get more time for the deferral past a year so I stand corrected but just not sure about the 4 years. I have never seen that happen before. That seems way too long and looks more like a felony to me and maybe a misprint from the newspaper.
Last edited by dayday on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:16 am

CelticCat wrote:This put a little shiner on our program, so personally I don't think he should come back, regardless of whether it a misdemeanor or not. He truly may be a great kid who made a mistake, but in this particular case Coach needs to separate himself from this ordeal as much as possible. There as a small minority who wanted Choate fired for this.
There was a Cat fan out there that wanted Choate fired for this?

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

dayday
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by dayday » Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:22 am

Montanabob wrote:
iaafan wrote:Montanabob: According to the article Gardenhire is pleading guilty to *felony* possession. Not felony intent to distribute, but still a felony. Unless the article is wrong and he is pleading guilty to misdemeanor possession.
Did you all get a diploma printed on pink paper?

Gardenhire was arrested and charged in April with felony criminal distribution of dangerous drugs and misdemeanor criminal possession of dangerous drugs.

But, per an agreement with the Gallatin County Attorney’s Office, Gardenhire will plead guilty to the lesser charge. Defense attorney Al Avignone will recommend Gardenhire receive a four-year deferred sentence and pay a $2,500 fine.

Do you want me to spell out less charge "misdemeanor"
I guess my "pink" law diploma was not wrong. Gardenhire pled guilty to felony possession of dangerous drugs

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:25 am

https://twitter.com/bozchronsports/status/887721618914541568

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:40 am

Former MSU DB Gardenhire pleads guilty to felony possession
http://skylinesportsmt.com/former-msu-d ... ossession/

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:42 pm

Looks like he wants to be reinstated to the football team.

Thoughts? I assume that won't happen.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:58 pm

CelticCat wrote:Looks like he wants to be reinstated to the football team.

As far as I'm concerned this was his second chance and he ****** it up. He left Washington because he didn't want to take a drug test he knew he was gonna fail so he quit. If he gets a third chance I hope it isn't here. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion, but MSU doesn't need another drug story. Should be zero tolerance.

If your left, you aren’t right.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:12 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

As far as I'm concerned this was his second chance and he ****** it up. He left Washington because he didn't want to take a drug test he knew he was gonna fail so he quit. If he gets a third chance I hope it isn't here. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion, but MSU doesn't need another drug story. Should be zero tolerance.

I agree with most of what you wrote. He got a second chance and blew it. I wish him nothing but the best in life but he shouldn't play football for the Cat's.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:15 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote: As far as I'm concerned this was his second chance and he ****** it up. He left Washington because he didn't want to take a drug test he knew he was gonna fail so he quit. If he gets a third chance I hope it isn't here. I'm sure it's not a popular opinion, but MSU doesn't need another drug story. Should be zero tolerance.
I'm fairly certain that what you just expressed is, in fact, going to be the popular opinion on this. I trust Choate and the Athletic Department staff to make an informed decision here, but my gut reaction is that allowing a player convicted of a felony drug charge to rejoin the team is a really really bad idea.

bobcat99
Golden Bobcat

Post by bobcat99 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Maybe I'm alone, but I don't have a problem with him coming back.

You think he's the first player caught with drugs that's played for us? Or the first to sell them? Please. We kept a kid on the team through his many issues bc of his connections. If it were Hale, that would be one thing g, but Gardenhire made a mistake and owned up to it. If he wants to walk-on and prove himself, let him.

Furthermore, you'd see a lot less of this ****** if these kids were paid. They bust their asses for our schools, make loads of money, and the only thing they get is a paid education. They're basically working full-time, making millions for somebody, and receiving pennies. It's asinine.

MSU01
Golden Bobcat

Post by MSU01 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:32 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Maybe I'm alone, but I don't have a problem with him coming back.

You think he's the first player caught with drugs that's played for us? Or the first to sell them? Please. We kept a kid on the team through his many issues bc of his connections. If it were Hale, that would be one thing g, but Gardenhire made a mistake and owned up to it. If he wants to walk-on and prove himself, let him.
Off the top of my head I certainly can't recall any other player being convicted of a felony drug charge and then be reinstated to the team.
bobcat99 wrote:Furthermore, you'd see a lot less of this ****** if these kids were paid. They bust their asses for our schools, make loads of money, and the only thing they get is a paid education. They're basically working full-time, making millions for somebody, and receiving pennies. It's asinine.
Agree 100% with this.

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Like 99, I don't have a big problem with it either. I find it kind of hokey that his possession charge was only misdemeanor when he was charged, but as part of the plea to get rid of felony distribution the possession was changed to a felony. As far as I'm concerned this is really just misdemeanor possession and nothing else. I say make him pay his own way to school this year, then, if he minds his manners, give him his scholarship money or part of it for 2018.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:48 pm

It all depends on what the MSU code of conduct says. I would guess that any form of distribution would have harsher consequences than possession even if it is a felony. He is applying for reinstatement to MSU. If MSU lets him back in school then it will be up to Choate and the athletic department.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 pm

AFCAT wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

I agree with most of what you wrote. He got a second chance and blew it. I wish him nothing but the best in life but he shouldn't play football for the Cat's.
Agreed, I say he blew it, time to move on.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:53 pm

bobcat99 wrote:Maybe I'm alone, but I don't have a problem with him coming back.

Furthermore, you'd see a lot less of this ****** if these kids were paid. They bust their asses for our schools, make loads of money, and the only thing they get is a paid education. They're basically working full-time, making millions for somebody, and receiving pennies. It's asinine.
They are getting paid, with a scholarship and no one is twisting their arms telling them to play. If you want cash, take a loan out, get a job and quit, or figure out how to work and play, many actually do. I played a college sport, we were gone all the time, and I couldn't work during the fall and spring, so I used loans, until the summer when I worked. Last year I made 350,000 for our firm and I got paid ****** for it. It's the way it works, you make money for your others until one day u make money for yourself. Besides that, how could some of these schools afford to pay athletes? They would have to rob Peter just to pay Paul, which gets you nowhere, other than making your athletics suffer or your education quality go down. In addition, you know the female and other male sports would want this as well, again how would you pay athletes from sports like men's tennis, lady's golf, or every other college sport that doesn't bring in fan revenue or licensing revenue?

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:56 pm

iaafan wrote:Like 99, I don't have a big problem with it either. I find it kind of hokey that his possession charge was only misdemeanor when he was charged, but as part of the plea to get rid of felony distribution the possession was changed to a felony. As far as I'm concerned this is really just misdemeanor possession and nothing else. I say make him pay his own way to school this year, then, if he minds his manners, give him his scholarship money or part of it for 2018.
If it was his first time yeah, but the fact he left Washington because he was going to have to take a drug test, shows a pattern and he obviously didn't break that pattern when he got here.

codecat
Member # Retired

Post by codecat » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:03 pm

Hawks86 wrote:It all depends on what the MSU code of conduct says. I would guess that any form of distribution would have harsher consequences than possession even if it is a felony. He is applying for reinstatement to MSU. If MSU lets him back in school then it will be up to Choate and the athletic department.

This is it for me as well and I trust that Choate will follow what the wisdom and experience of those putting the guidelines together was - if not, we simply start to look much like U of M did a few years back.

London Bridge is falling down, falling down, falling down, London Bridge is falling down, Bye-Bye Fauci!

wbtfg
Golden Bobcat

Post by wbtfg » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
iaafan wrote:Like 99, I don't have a big problem with it either. I find it kind of hokey that his possession charge was only misdemeanor when he was charged, but as part of the plea to get rid of felony distribution the possession was changed to a felony. As far as I'm concerned this is really just misdemeanor possession and nothing else. I say make him pay his own way to school this year, then, if he minds his manners, give him his scholarship money or part of it for 2018.
If it was his first time yeah, but the fact he left Washington because he was going to have to take a drug test, shows a pattern and he obviously didn't break that pattern when he got here.
In the end I believe this will be President Cruzado's call with input from Choate and Costello. Pleading guilty to a felony is a pretty big deal especially after already being kicked off (or leaving) UW's for drug related reasons. I doubt he will be back, but I trust the CCC team - Choate, Costello, and Cruzado and won't be mad if I do see him playing again.

Buckaroo Bonzi
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by Buckaroo Bonzi » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:10 pm

I think the world has plenty of people who have had 1st 2nd 3rd and 4th chances to get their poop in a scoop and
many have become very successful members of Society. I just hate giving up on anything or anyone just before
a miracle . The burden is on him to show he wants too , and will take a lot of hard work on his part ~ probation
should require frequent UA tests ~meetings and if he fufills all the requirements of MSU/ Athletic Dept. He should
get the chance , his road to play for the Cats will be much more difficult now than it was before. If he's up for the
challenge of a hard road great, if not ~ he had the chance , Brandon Marshall was a pretty good story ~ seems
like a better person today with a few extra chances.

Where ever you go , There you are .... Protect the Rock ~ Create TurnOvers ~ Execute on every Play

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:14 pm

I don't have a strong preference on this one, but not sure what the part above means? Are you sayign we'd see a lot less drug use\activity if the students were getting paid to play football? Not tracking, but I'm probably just being dense.

Great time to be a BOBCAT!