Starters

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Joe Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: Starters

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:37 pm

Montanabob wrote:If we run the offense right, we probably won't have a 1000 yard offense except for Murray, and I don't want him to be our 1000+ runner. It would make it hard for him to be on the field in 2018 and 2019.
I do expect to have 2 RB's over 500+ and 2 more over 800+.
That said, inj..res decide if we get that far and run into playoff.
I still expect several (not one or two) more additions to camp in the fall that will be immediate impact players and not from drop down FBS schools.
Yup, still going with 9-2.
If not from drop downs from FBS schools just where are these several impact additions coming from?

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:49 pm

gtapp wrote:I am going out on a limb and projecting Collins as a 3rd down player this year and not a starter. Situational pass rusher. Keep him fresh all game.
I hope you are wrong Gary. I have been impatiently waiting to see him break out and dominate on defense for us and I hope this is the year he really starts that.

Dang if we could just find a Minter like hog to raise hell in the middle we could become a three and out type defense and then no one would have to get tired.

Maybe one of Montanabobs impact additions will fill the missing link.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

Darth Yoda
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Darth Yoda » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:59 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:I have exactly what Bozcat003 posted. Also, I think Lasane is going to have a very good year with 1000+ yards rushing. I believe he will play at a all conference level this year.

Agreed that LaSane could have a big year, but i just feel with Murray, Vander, Roper, and James we have so many guys that can carry the ball its tough to get a 1,000 yd rusher.
A tried and true Cat fan, who's more of the lurker type on here, sent me a text saying all of us are nuts not including Fa'anono in this conversation. Good point. Let's hope he's fully mended and ready for action.

Bozcat003
Member # Retired

Post by Bozcat003 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:25 am

Darth Yoda wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:I have exactly what Bozcat003 posted. Also, I think Lasane is going to have a very good year with 1000+ yards rushing. I believe he will play at a all conference level this year.

Agreed that LaSane could have a big year, but i just feel with Murray, Vander, Roper, and James we have so many guys that can carry the ball its tough to get a 1,000 yd rusher.
A tried and true Cat fan, who's more of the lurker type on here, sent me a text saying all of us are nuts not including Fa'anono in this conversation. Good point. Let's hope he's fully mended and ready for action.
He is probably right - I had him behhind Derek Marks, for the same reason I'm not sure he is fully mended, at the end of spring ball Marks was taking the 1 snaps usually. Fa'anono is a great player and if healthy I cannot wait for him to get on that field, much more developed physically than Marks

catsrback76
Golden Bobcat

Post by catsrback76 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 11:59 am

Bozcat003 wrote:
Darth Yoda wrote:
Bozcat003 wrote:

He is probably right - I had him behhind Derek Marks, for the same reason I'm not sure he is fully mended, at the end of spring ball Marks was taking the 1 snaps usually. Fa'anono is a great player and if healthy I cannot wait for him to get on that field, much more developed physically than Marks
Everyone has POTENTIAL...we shall see whether or not Fa'anono has any impact! Of course he has potential. Show it... now is my take!

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:34 am

I just watched Jabarri Johnson's tape, and I think he has a good shot at starting. He looks like a physical kid, who has the ability to break some tackles. He does not posses the speed needed to break any huge gains but he reminds me of former MSU receiver Chaz Guinn. Good hands, physical WR who can put his head down and fall forward. Plus it looks like he can block pretty well.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:43 pm

Joe Bobcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:If we run the offense right, we probably won't have a 1000 yard offense except for Murray, and I don't want him to be our 1000+ runner. It would make it hard for him to be on the field in 2018 and 2019.
I do expect to have 2 RB's over 500+ and 2 more over 800+.
That said, inj..res decide if we get that far and run into playoff.
I still expect several (not one or two) more additions to camp in the fall that will be immediate impact players and not from drop down FBS schools.
Yup, still going with 9-2.
If not from drop downs from FBS schools just where are these several impact additions coming from?
Well we got two more and NOT FBS dropouts. Still waiting for at least 2 more.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:18 am

After hearing Choate's interview at the BSC media day, I'd say Murray is likely the guy next year, unless someone comes in and gives them an offer they can't refuse.

Choate said that last year they planned their entire offense around a guy like Bruggman, but finally changed the offense to suit Murray's strengths later in the season. Choate admitted to perhaps waiting too long to do that, but it makes me thing now with spring ball done, an offseason for Murray to refine his passing game, and a whole fall camp all with a system designed to suit Murray's strengths, that it is Murray's job to lose. Choate did say that even with a guy like Murray, there are still plays you need to make. The question is, can Murray complete passes in a 2 minute offense. Can he complete that crucial 3rd and 8 pass. That's all Murray really needs to do, he doesn't need to throw for 3,000 yards. He may not need to throw for 2,000. 175 yards a game through the air will probably do it.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 am

CelticCat wrote:After hearing Choate's interview at the BSC media day, I'd say Murray is likely the guy next year, unless someone comes in and gives them an offer they can't refuse.

Choate said that last year they planned their entire offense around a guy like Bruggman, but finally changed the offense to suit Murray's strengths later in the season. Choate admitted to perhaps waiting too long to do that, but it makes me thing now with spring ball done, an offseason for Murray to refine his passing game, and a whole fall camp all with a system designed to suit Murray's strengths, that it is Murray's job to lose. Choate did say that even with a guy like Murray, there are still plays you need to make. The question is, can Murray complete passes in a 2 minute offense. Can he complete that crucial 3rd and 8 pass. That's all Murray really needs to do, he doesn't need to throw for 3,000 yards. He may not need to throw for 2,000. 175 yards a game through the air will probably do it.
Did you listen to the Bobcat Insider podcast? Lots of info in there.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:23 am

Hawks86 wrote:
CelticCat wrote:After hearing Choate's interview at the BSC media day, I'd say Murray is likely the guy next year, unless someone comes in and gives them an offer they can't refuse.

I did, I will get right on it! Bored at work.

91catAlum
Golden Bobcat

Post by 91catAlum » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:55 am

Hawks86 wrote:

Where can a guy find it?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:58 am

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

The MICKSTER
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by The MICKSTER » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:45 pm

I think 175 per game might do it......considering in our 2 conference wins last year we had 89(UCD) and 37(friz) yards passing, which averages to 63 yard per game in our 2 conference wins.......an average of 175 pass yards per game could be enough. My only hesitation is that this year we don't have Newell & Brekke. I think our stable of running backs is good, and they may be great, but they haven't proven themselves to be at Newell's level yet.

I'm pickin' Konkol to be the' break out' player this year. GO CATS!

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

CelticCat wrote:
I agree with Herbert and Kassis, but I think Paige's job might be on the line this year. I think Kassis will be the playmaker, Herbert the possession guy, and whoever else is on the field doesn't necessarily need to be a deep threat as much as they need to be able to block downfield. I wouldn't be surprised to see Paige lose out to one of the bigger guys on the roster, like Jabarri Johnson, Keon Stephens or Karl Tucker, or even D'Agostino.

One thing I've noticed with Choate is he doesn't seem to really love the small scat-back type guys like Ash did. His brand of football is physical, which is why guys like Logan Jones and Jayshawn Gates may have fallen out of favor. I don't think we'll see too many more sub-175 lb guys anymore on offensive side of the field. At this level though you have a hard time finding bigger CBs.

Defensively I agree but not sure who will win the spot opposite Hill and Bignell. Chapman would be a solid choice but I'm guessing it will be McCarthy getting 1st team reps at the beginning of fall camp. Not sure he will hold onto it or not, should be a good competition to watch here.

CB is open also, we have two stud kids coming in but they need some time in the weigh room first in Choate's system. Cole is listed at 5'9 160 so he'll need to get up to at least 170 I'd say. May take him halfway through the season.

It'll be interesting to see how Khari Garcia fits into the mix. He's listed as a DB on the roster but I imagine he will stay at the S spot? He's a talented kid we just have to figure out how to best utilize his skills.
I see Paige starting. He lost his chemistry a bit when Prukop left, but he has top 3 speed on the team and might be the fastest break-away 20 yrd guy we have. I think he starts and hopefully Murray can actually throw the ball this year.

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:06 pm

The commentary in the player roster says McCabe is slotted at second on the rover depth chart. That can't be right? Guy was a homewrecker last year if I remember right?

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:12 pm

I am excited to see which of the newcomers will step up and earn a spot either as a possible starter or as someone that will come in and have a good deal of playing time. I think it is pretty crazy that for the most part we still have a fairly young team.

Punters are people too!!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Counter Assault wrote:The commentary in the player roster says McCabe is slotted at second on the rover depth chart. That can't be right? Guy was a homewrecker last year if I remember right?
Roster info has not been updated so that is very old information. Bryson is one of the best safeties in the entire conference and is our #1 player in the secondary.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Counter Assault

Post by Counter Assault » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:22 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
Counter Assault wrote:The commentary in the player roster says McCabe is slotted at second on the rover depth chart. That can't be right? Guy was a homewrecker last year if I remember right?
Roster info has not been updated so that is very old information. Bryson is one of the best safeties in the entire conference and is our #1 player in the secondary.
That's what I thought... I am actually pretty stoked about our defense this year. The corners and free safety are probably the biggest question marks. The general play calling/Murray pass execution and O-line are probably the other spots.

VIM - so is Daly back as our kicker this year? While I don't like that personal story there, he sure was a dang good kicker...

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:34 pm

Counter Assault wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:
That's what I thought... I am actually pretty stoked about our defense this year. The corners and free safety are probably the biggest question marks. The general play calling/Murray pass execution and O-line are probably the other spots.

VIM - so is Daly back as our kicker this year? While I don't like that personal story there, he sure was a dang good kicker...
Daly could be both our starting kicker and punter this year. Depending on how the year goes, both our starting kicker and punter (Peppenger and Padmos) could redshirt this fall.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

basincat
BobcatNation Team Captain

Post by basincat » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:30 pm

FTG247365 wrote:Honestly @ RB, it should go Lasane, Jones/James then the transfers. I would love to see Logan Jones get more touchs this year. Pegues will be right in that mix too.

I hope Logan Jones gets more touches this year too. He made a lot of big plays in little action last year, and when he got chances on returns he made big returns.