High School Football Talk

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

High School Football Talk

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:27 pm

5-14-17 The first discussion on this thread will be about Billings Senior, it only seems right, doesn't it? So my question I present to all of you is; how long will the dominance last? Billings Senior has been the undisputed team to beat lately, despite only winning one State Title, yes I know there has been more dominate teams in the past, but is there something different with Billings Senior? They are looking strong once again coming into the 2017 season, being lead by what some say is the undisputed best player in the state, Gabe Sulser. The questions I give to you is, how long will Seniors reign last? Is it over as soon as their great 2018 class graduates or have they implemented a system that will continue to the similarities of CMR, Capital High. Or is this just a rare group of kids who had extraordinary talent, and Senior will come and go as a contender? Also, who stands in their way, and are they even the favorites at this point? With Dick gone, who will be the one to bomb passes to Sulser, and does this apparent "lack" of QB decrease their chances even with players like Sulser, Askleson, and Allred?

5-21-17 Capital High is a well established program in the high school football world of Montana. And throughout those years when Capital High was becoming a "powerhouse" in football, there has been some very talented players to pass through. A few names that pop into my head: Greg Carothers, Matt Miller, Bobby Daly, Caleb Kidder, the list goes on. And that seems to be the theme for this year as well, with the talents of Seth Schneider, Conor Quick, Carson Shuman and Trevor Welnel leading the way. Sadly, its not the names of studs that come to mind when Capital High is brought up in a conversation, but of the mishaps in recent news. A DUI given to the head coach, causing lots of unwanted attention being drawn to the program. Let me make this very clear, Coach Mihelish is a good guy, hard worker, and knows the game of football very well, but driving under the influence of alcohol is not acceptable, and the example being set is a bad one. With all the talent on that roster coming into next season, it is disappointing to see the face of that program do something like that.
Capital High has been on the rise since that ugly 1-9 season(the only win coming from a Helgate program that was holding on by a thread), and has had two straight semi-final runs, both being ended by the Broncs of Senior. And as I look closer at those two rebound seasons, I see rosters full of talent, college football players plentiful. Then I look at the rankings, and their defensive play those two seasons is INSANE. Great. Hats off to that coaching staff for their hard work in preparing those kids. Defensive coaching staff. Offensive coaching staff, take a seat. Capital Highs offense the past two seasons, embarrassing. And embarrassing is saying it nicely. As I was watching film of the 2016 season, countless times I saw the defense carrying the team, and not just carrying the team, but winning single handedly, without any offensive help. If that offense of 2016 could have stayed on the field for longer than 3 plays, I completely believe they could have won a State Title. No doubt in my mind. But the offense was a joke. It doesn't stop there, 2017 season, Capital High vs Helena High, capital wins 3-0. 3 to 0! And some might say it was good game, hard fought, defensive battle. Not exactly, and as I watched film from that game, I was embarrassed for the play caller of capital high. And might I add, the 3 points came off a Helena high turnover inside their own 20 yard line. Capital couldn't score starting inside the redzone. Now, like I said earlier, those rosters were loaded with talent, hell some names didn't even go on to play college football but could have easily made a NAIA team. The let down came from the coaching staff, mostly the play caller. And partly from the head coach for not telling that play caller to get the hell out. It saddens me to see such a talented group of kids come up short because of some wanna-be football genius. I have decided to not share the name of said play caller, but its easy to find. You guys can look it up if you feel like it.
Now, as I rewatch Capital film from last year, and focus on the juniors who will be seniors, I see a group of talented kids, and a team who could easily take state. But the play calling and coach leadership still looms, and I hate that I have a feeling that it will drag these kids away from winning. I look at programs like Kalispell Glacier, Billing Senior, Helena High, Bozeman and I see a group of coaches who are getting their players ready to go, and even Kalispell Flathead, Missoula Sentinel, Great Falls High, CMR, Missoula Big Sky who are building their programs up and preparing to win again. Not all Capital coaches are bad, this isn't what I'm saying. I just see other programs that may not have as much talent as the bruins this year, yet they are looking better off at this point.

6-11-17 I switched up the topic because I felt that there was something a little better we could discuss: a very, very early prediction of some teams records. I currently don't have all the schedules right now so I will put them up as I find them, but I was thinking we could start with AA this week and work our way to Class C and just predict this years turn out. Along with some kids who have already committed I see a few others that could be playing in the Big Sky Conference, and they should have a big impact on their teams this year. So AA this week, and I will be posting schedules as well!
Last edited by HowardRoss280 on Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.

lutecat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Re: High School Football Talk

Post by lutecat » Sun May 14, 2017 1:37 pm

I don't know a lot about high school football like the rest of you but my gut says that glacier has the consistency to be the near top dog. Not always a title. The rest will ebb And flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 1:53 pm

lutecat wrote:I don't know a lot about high school football like the rest of you but my gut says that glacier has the consistency to be the near top dog. Not always a title. The rest will ebb And flow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Most definitely! When I said CMR and Capital I was more referring to programs that have had success for years and years, decades. Glacier has been top school for quite some time now, I was just referring to schools who have had long periods of success

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Sun May 14, 2017 2:06 pm

I'm not sure how long Senior's dominance will last, but I did watch their sophomores a lot last year and they weren't that good. Things change though and their players could get better, time will tell.

I think Billings West may do well this year.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:17 pm

AFCAT wrote:I'm not sure how long Senior's dominance will last, but I did watch their sophomores a lot last year and they weren't that good. Things change though and their players could get better, time will tell.

I think Billings West may do well this year.
Billings West has always been one of those programs you could count on making a run in the playoffs until a couple years ago. Some might say it was the coaching change others might say it was just the talent coming through the school, one thing for certain is it would be nice to see the Golden Bears start to get back to being a contender

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:35 pm

There is a high school athletics forum. That is usually where the mods move it.

In AA it will be between Glacier, Senior, and Capital.

Class A is wide open with possibly Sidney being the favorite.

Class B is relatively wide open even though Huntley Project should be the favorite.

Class C 8-man will be between Charlo and Ennis again barring injuries to star players.

Class C 6-man will feature some new teams this fall like Wibaux who should push for a title in their first season.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

GoCats18

Post by GoCats18 » Sun May 14, 2017 2:57 pm

I watched Capital play against CMR this last season and thought they looked pretty good. I think they were pretty young too. Anyone know if Hellgate will have team or are they totally done for football?

Punters are people too!!

Mr Lisle
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Mr Lisle » Sun May 14, 2017 3:11 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:I know this is a Bobcat Football blog, but I thought I'd create a thread where there can be an open discussion on Montana High School Football, everything from predictions to rants. I plan on posting a new subject or discussion in this thread every Sunday, so stay tuned! But first Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there!
The first discussion on this thread will be about Billings Senior, it only seems right, doesn't it? So my question I present to all of you is; how long will the dominance last? Billings Senior has been the undisputed team to beat lately, despite only winning one State Title, yes I know there has been more dominate teams in the past, but is there something different with Billings Senior? They are looking strong once again coming into the 2017 season, being lead by what some say is the undisputed best player in the state, Gabe Sulser. The questions I give to you is, how long will Seniors reign last? Is it over as soon as their great 2018 class graduates or have they implemented a system that will continue to the similarities of CMR, Capital High. Or is this just a rare group of kids who had extraordinary talent, and Senior will come and go as a contender? Also, who stands in their way, and are they even the favorites at this point? With Dick gone, who will be the one to bomb passes to Sulser, and does this apparent "lack" of QB decrease their chances even with players like Sulser, Askleson, and Allred?

Next Sunday my planned discussion is, With all of the highly ranked players on Capital High, is it State Title or Bust? What is going on with the coaching staff? Their offense has been less than adequate the last two seasons, is it the play caller or was it personnel?
I'm just wondering....and for the record---are you the same Howard Ross, the former all-state lineman at Bozeman High, multi-year starter on the Bobcat offensive line and ultimately offensive line coach for maybe Sonny Holland/Bobcats?

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:27 pm

Mr Lisle wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:I know this is a Bobcat Football blog, but I thought I'd create a thread where there can be an open discussion on Montana High School Football, everything from predictions to rants. I plan on posting a new subject or discussion in this thread every Sunday, so stay tuned! But first Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms out there!
The first discussion on this thread will be about Billings Senior, it only seems right, doesn't it? So my question I present to all of you is; how long will the dominance last? Billings Senior has been the undisputed team to beat lately, despite only winning one State Title, yes I know there has been more dominate teams in the past, but is there something different with Billings Senior? They are looking strong once again coming into the 2017 season, being lead by what some say is the undisputed best player in the state, Gabe Sulser. The questions I give to you is, how long will Seniors reign last? Is it over as soon as their great 2018 class graduates or have they implemented a system that will continue to the similarities of CMR, Capital High. Or is this just a rare group of kids who had extraordinary talent, and Senior will come and go as a contender? Also, who stands in their way, and are they even the favorites at this point? With Dick gone, who will be the one to bomb passes to Sulser, and does this apparent "lack" of QB decrease their chances even with players like Sulser, Askleson, and Allred?

Next Sunday my planned discussion is, With all of the highly ranked players on Capital High, is it State Title or Bust? What is going on with the coaching staff? Their offense has been less than adequate the last two seasons, is it the play caller or was it personnel?
I'm just wondering....and for the record---are you the same Howard Ross, the former all-state lineman at Bozeman High, multi-year starter on the Bobcat offensive line and ultimately offensive line coach for maybe Sonny Holland/Bobcats?
No, not me. I was however still born and raised in Montana

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:28 pm

GoCats18 wrote:I watched Capital play against CMR this last season and thought they looked pretty good. I think they were pretty young too. Anyone know if Hellgate will have team or are they totally done for football?
From what I have heard Helgate will field a team this season.

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:41 pm

My way-too-early AA prediction is Capital vs. Senior in title game.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:46 pm

TomCat88 wrote:My way-too-early AA prediction is Capital vs. Senior in title game.
Way to early but completely accurate. With all the talent coming back for both teams it's definitely a possibility. This weeks discussion focuses on Senior and what they have, next week focuses on capital so it's funny you say both those teams!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sun May 14, 2017 3:54 pm

Billings Senior will also have to replace six seniors on the offensive line. Luke Poetzl's brother Garrison will be a junior next fall and should be one of the best two-way lineman in the state. Senior-to-be Ethan Saberhagen will step into one of the tackle spots as well. But they have some big shoes to fill.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 4:07 pm

VimSince03 wrote:Billings Senior will also have to replace six seniors on the offensive line. Luke Poetzl's brother Garrison will be a junior next fall and should be one of the best two-way lineman in the state. Senior-to-be Ethan Saberhagen will step into one of the tackle spots as well. But they have some big shoes to fill.
For sure and one of the most talked about positions in football is QB, and theirs has some big shoes to fill. It will be interesting to see if their offense can produce the same as it has in the past without Dick.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Sun May 14, 2017 6:50 pm

Another thing that I mentioned in the original post that I'm interested in knowing everyone's thoughts is if this is a system that was put in by the coaches of Senior that has brought success, was it the talented players that brought success, was it a mix of both? I'm curious to see what everyone thinks in the week to come! Teams can win if there is a coach there that knows exactly what he is doing, but is this the case for Senior?

Joe Bobcat

Post by Joe Bobcat » Mon May 15, 2017 5:32 am

HowardRoss280 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

Whoa! You're something of a medical miracle to have been still born and somehow survived. That story would sell well with the tabloids found at the checkout counter.

If you're looking for someone with a little authority, I'm your man. I have as little as anyone!

77matcat
Member # Retired

Post by 77matcat » Mon May 15, 2017 7:29 am

Does sound like the most interesting story.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Mon May 15, 2017 9:15 am

Joe Bobcat wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
Mr Lisle wrote:

Whoa! You're something of a medical miracle to have been still born and somehow survived. That story would sell well with the tabloids found at the checkout counter.
Love how you are contributing to the thread! Much appreciated!
But seriously, let's try and stay on topic here, I want to hear everyone's thoughts!

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Mon May 15, 2017 3:04 pm

HowardRoss280 wrote:
VimSince03 wrote:Billings Senior will also have to replace six seniors on the offensive line. Luke Poetzl's brother Garrison will be a junior next fall and should be one of the best two-way lineman in the state. Senior-to-be Ethan Saberhagen will step into one of the tackle spots as well. But they have some big shoes to fill.
For sure and one of the most talked about positions in football is QB, and theirs has some big shoes to fill. It will be interesting to see if their offense can produce the same as it has in the past without Dick.
Cade Torgerson, who played QB for Shepherd High School last year (his junior season), transferred to Billings Senior and will compete for the QB job right away. Not the same level as Dick but can run Murdock's offense.

HowardRoss280
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by HowardRoss280 » Mon May 15, 2017 5:36 pm

VimSince03 wrote:
HowardRoss280 wrote:
Cade Torgerson, who played QB for Shepherd High School last year (his junior season), transferred to Billings Senior and will compete for the QB job right away. Not the same level as Dick but can run Murdock's offense.
I'll have to watch some film on him. Any thoughts on if he would be able to take them to the chipper? He won't have to do much, just play a role and not have to do too much himself considering all the other taken on the team. But is he capable? I haven't watched any film on him yet so I really don't know