Hale and Gardenhire Gone...

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

GoldstoneCat
1st Team All-BobcatNation

Re: Hale and Gardenhire Gone...

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:45 am

iaafan wrote:You can't have it happen consistently or have it form a pattern. Right now this is random. A coach can be in one place for 10 years and have a spate of bad activity by his players in the first year, the 5th year or the tenth year. That's just the way it goes and that's random. You can't extrapolate very much this early in Choate's career.
I tend to agree with you, this by itself is nothing we should get too alarmed about. IMO, what it does is make folks pay closer attention to transfers, etc. down the road. Fair to the kids/coach or not, that's what will happen now. I'm certain coach didn't intend for these guys to come here and fail, but at the same time he couldn't have been shocked. It bears watching, is all I'm trying to say I guess.

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:03 pm

GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:Some craziness going on in this thread. From my skim, through I've read that some argue that perhaps our coach is to blame in some way? How much Xanax did coach sell? This is the same BS that happened with Kramer. These coaches have 100+ kids involved in their program and if one or two screw up while the overwhelming majority are on the straight and narrow that means it on the coach? Thought we hired a coach, not a babysitter. These young men are old enough to understand consequences and make their own decisions. Hold them accountable and no one else. My impression of coach is favorable based upon his actions and that will not change based upon other people's actions.
Partially, but don't totally, agree with you here. The kids need to be held accountable for their decision to come here and peddle Xanax from their apartment (if that's indeed what happened, case must play out). And I tend to agree that the head coach isn't responsible for the good or bad decisions all 100 plus players on the team make. However, he has to bear some responsibility, and here's my reasons for thinking that way. First, when he was hired and any time anybody asked him since, in regard to recruiting, he's given a fairly lengthy answer about recruiting great players and "high character young men to represent the program and the community." Tier 1 Carnegie research institution, all that, we have all listened to and watched those clips over and over again (thanks again to Colter for all the content!). You cannot make those statements, and then have this happen so soon. Granted, a coach can't know the personality and issues and background of every single recruit, and these things DO happen from time to time. But in this specific case, he did know the background on these guys, knew them fairly well personally I'd guess, and still brought them in. Fine, I'm not opposed to giving someone a second chance, and Bozeman is a long way removed from cities on the west coast; perhaps a person has a chance to come here and find their way, their focus, etc. The fact is that these guys had issues with drugs in their recent past, we brought them in, the head coach basically vouched for them as he knew them personally, and they screwed up almost immediately (allegedly). Coach Choate has to shoulder some blame on this. Not saying he should be fired, not saying he should even be reprimanded, just cautioning all of us, myself included, to not just blithely accept words like "high character young men." Those words need to be backed up by action, and in this case they weren't.
This is a really good point. I am a huge believer in Choate, but he missed the mark on these two guys. I expect Choate will be much more careful in these decisions in the future. Also, in Choates defense, our weakest area coming into last year was the defense, specifically at corner. Desperation and pressure to win can lead to poor decisions. Given how strong recruiting has been, let's hope the need for any drop downs will be non-existent in the future!

GoldstoneCat

Post by GoldstoneCat » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:52 pm

Cataholic wrote:
GoldstoneCat wrote:
utucats wrote:Some craziness going on in this thread. From my skim, through I've read that some argue that perhaps our coach is to blame in some way? How much Xanax did coach sell? This is the same BS that happened with Kramer. These coaches have 100+ kids involved in their program and if one or two screw up while the overwhelming majority are on the straight and narrow that means it on the coach? Thought we hired a coach, not a babysitter. These young men are old enough to understand consequences and make their own decisions. Hold them accountable and no one else. My impression of coach is favorable based upon his actions and that will not change based upon other people's actions.
Partially, but don't totally, agree with you here. The kids need to be held accountable for their decision to come here and peddle Xanax from their apartment (if that's indeed what happened, case must play out). And I tend to agree that the head coach isn't responsible for the good or bad decisions all 100 plus players on the team make. However, he has to bear some responsibility, and here's my reasons for thinking that way. First, when he was hired and any time anybody asked him since, in regard to recruiting, he's given a fairly lengthy answer about recruiting great players and "high character young men to represent the program and the community." Tier 1 Carnegie research institution, all that, we have all listened to and watched those clips over and over again (thanks again to Colter for all the content!). You cannot make those statements, and then have this happen so soon. Granted, a coach can't know the personality and issues and background of every single recruit, and these things DO happen from time to time. But in this specific case, he did know the background on these guys, knew them fairly well personally I'd guess, and still brought them in. Fine, I'm not opposed to giving someone a second chance, and Bozeman is a long way removed from cities on the west coast; perhaps a person has a chance to come here and find their way, their focus, etc. The fact is that these guys had issues with drugs in their recent past, we brought them in, the head coach basically vouched for them as he knew them personally, and they screwed up almost immediately (allegedly). Coach Choate has to shoulder some blame on this. Not saying he should be fired, not saying he should even be reprimanded, just cautioning all of us, myself included, to not just blithely accept words like "high character young men." Those words need to be backed up by action, and in this case they weren't.
This is a really good point. I am a huge believer in Choate, but he missed the mark on these two guys. I expect Choate will be much more careful in these decisions in the future. Also, in Choates defense, our weakest area coming into last year was the defense, specifically at corner. Desperation and pressure to win can lead to poor decisions. Given how strong recruiting has been, let's hope the need for any drop downs will be non-existent in the future!
You're absolutely right, we needed big time help in the secondary, and that's a specific area where transfers/drop-downs can help (McCabe, Walker, etc). I think he felt like these guys, if removed from whatever the situation was at Washington/back in California in Hale's case, that he could get the most out of them in Bozeman. It didn't work, and it was a mistake in hindsight. Regrettable, but not a huge problem on its own. As many have said before in this thread, we just can't have it become a pattern, and I'm highly doubtful it will.

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:16 pm

An additional felony charge for Hale....tampering with evidence. Cleared his phone or something prior to arrest.

msutrackfan
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by msutrackfan » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 am

As several posters have mentioned on this thread, Coach Choate has about 100 student-athletes in this program. Maybe there could be more focus on the positive behaviors/actions of the other 98+ and let the judicial system do its work. Once those judicial actions have been determined, there will be plenty of time to comment. Onward and upward, Coach Choate!

Hi-Line Bobcat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:03 pm

Grizaddict wrote:An additional felony charge for Hale....tampering with evidence. Cleared his phone or something prior to arrest.
Your a like a modern day Geraldo, a true "crime reporter ", keep up the good work!! If you can find the dog that pisses in my yard, I will buy you a Big Mac.

If your left, you aren’t right.

Cats15

Post by Cats15 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:37 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:An additional felony charge for Hale....tampering with evidence. Cleared his phone or something prior to arrest.
Your a like a modern day Geraldo, a true "crime reporter ", keep up the good work!! If you can find the dog that pisses in my yard, I will buy you a Big Mac.
I think he was just posting relevant info to the thread. I had not seen this news yet till I read it hear so I appreciate the info...

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Hale allegedly remotely reset his confiscated phone so that all information on it was deleted by the time a search warrant was granted to law enforcement.
The other player, Darren Gardenhire, also faces felony drug distribution charges and allegedly told law enforcement that a third party borrowed his car for a Xanax delivery to the confidential informant.
http://www.montanasports.com/2017/04/27 ... ny-charge/

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:05 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
$10 says it's your neighbor, not the dog.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:27 pm

Cats15 wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
I think he was just posting relevant info to the thread. I had not seen this news yet till I read it hear so I appreciate the info...
Not the point, but yeah it's info.

Hi-Line Bobcat

Post by Hi-Line Bobcat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:29 pm

Montanabob wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Nah Mike wouldn't do that, but my other neighbor dawn and his wife named dawn as well, they might be capable.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:32 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Montanabob wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:
Nah Mike wouldn't do that, but my other neighbor dawn and his wife named dawn as well, they might be capable.
It's weird that it happens every time I pass through Billings, but who's really keeping track right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Latest update....here is the police report with all the details.

http://www.kbzk.com/story/35272294/the- ... d-felonies

Grizaddict

Post by Grizaddict » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:15 pm

Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

The poor dog probably keeps smelling the 10 pounds of sand that falls each day from your vagina and mistakes it for kitty litter, hence triggering a daily urination in that area. Real world problems.

imacat

Hale and Gardenhire Gone...

Post by imacat » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:36 pm

No matter how we may try to spin this, it is really sad to see this story continue to play out in the news. It will continue to damage our football program's image.

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:44 pm

imacat wrote:No matter how we may try to spin this, it is really sad to see this story continue to play out in the news. It will continue to damage our football program's image.

Sucks for sure, but the damage will be unnoticeable.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

CatBlitz
Golden Bobcat

Post by CatBlitz » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:14 pm

imacat wrote:No matter how we may try to spin this, it is really sad to see this story continue to play out in the news. It will continue to damage our football program's image.

This isn't isolated. This happens to many programs more often than you might realize.

Don't let this distract you from the fact that the griz blew a 22-0 lead.

Montanabob

Post by Montanabob » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:33 am

Choate needs to drop them NOW, not after the courts get done with this.
They were both on life support when they got here.
Send a message to the team and the prospects.

MSU fan.... U of I Graduate... They're Back

Cataholic
Golden Bobcat

Post by Cataholic » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:05 am

Grizaddict wrote:
Hi-Line Bobcat wrote:

The poor dog probably keeps smelling the 10 pounds of sand that falls each day from your vagina and mistakes it for kitty litter, hence triggering a daily urination in that area. Real world problems.
Sorry Hi Line but I think Griz addict is telling you that a Big Mac is not enough. I think he gets them free when he reports to work at McDonalds.

imacat

Post by imacat » Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:16 pm

Montanabob wrote:Choate needs to drop them NOW, not after the courts get done with this.
They were both on life support when they got here.
Send a message to the team and the prospects.
I could not agree more.