Skyline Sports - Spring 2017 update

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Skyline Sports - Spring 2017 update

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Mar 16, 2017 2:22 pm

Greetings Bobcat Nation friends and readers,

We are entering a pivotal time at Skyline Sports. We launched our website in August of 2015. We have now recently completed our second sports year with the wrap of basketball season. In certain avenues, we have made a great deal of progress. We are recognized across the state as a viable news source on par with our competition, evidence in the analyst spots we have on radio stations around the state and the sourcing we have received in several different newspapers for a few of our "scoops".

When we moved from "Bobcat Beat" to Skyline Sports, we rebranded ourselves as a news gathering organization that provides comprehensive coverage of Montana State and Big Sky Conference athletics. Our main reason for doing this is it is much easier to garner access from athletic departments outside of Bozeman when you have an "independent" label.

While we do provide enterprising stories about schools around the Big Sky, the Bobcats are still our bread and butter. The two years we provided content through Bobcat Beat, I frequently wrote stories with Big Sky angles but almost always pertinent to the Bobcats — who MSU was playing that particularly week for example would have a feature or a look into that specific program or team.

Our coverage plan is to still cover all Montana State sports like a beat. We still attend every Bobcat home game for football, women's and men's basketball. We traveled wherever the football team went all last fall. We still attend practices, fall and spring camps, pro days, anything related to Bobcat athletics in Bozeman or across the Big Sky. We also put a high priority on providing the best recruiting coverage around when it comes to Montana State football and basketball.

With spring football starting in less than a week, we need your help! We have added a few different revenue streams to our business model but the lifeblood of Skyline Sports is premium subscriptions and the bulk of our subscribers are you, Bobcat sports enthusiasts.

For Skyline Sports to continue as a viable venture providing the very best coverage of Bobcat athletics, we desperately need a bump in subscription revenue. If you are a subscriber and you enjoy the content, tell a friend or two. If you know someone who may enjoy the in depth content we provide, pass along a good word or even buy them a subscription as a gift. If you are not a subscriber, give it a try.

We charge $8 a month or $90 a year. With that subscription, you will receive daily coverage of Bobcat athletics, particularly of Jeff Choate’s second set of spring drills as Montana State’s head coach beginning next week. We will also provide up to date recruiting information and any news that comes out of an evolving athletic department.

During the summer, we will have pieces analyzing the Bobcat athletic teams as a whole, breaking down what’s next for a university with tremendous momentum in every avenue of higher education. We will also have reporting on the contracts of all three revenue sport head coaches’ contracts as well as a breakdown of their assistants’ salaries. We will have a “Where are they now” series with stories on former Bobcats and their accomplishments after leaving MSU and much, much more.

When fall rolls around, you can expect peerless coverage of fall camp as well as comprehensive coverage of Choate’s second season at the helm. We can give you more content than any other outlet and we can give it to you every single day. We will feature podcasts, video and of course, old-school newspaper style journalism presented through a 21st century lens.

So if you have been a subscriber in the past, we hope you come back and subscribe again. If you are a current subscriber, we hope you spread the word and help us continue making Skyline Sports a viable option for folks who love Bobcat athletics. And if you are not a subscriber, give us a try. We promise we won’t disappoint you.

You can subscribe by clicking here: http://skylinesportsmt.com/account/

Cheers,

Colter Nuanez
Last edited by Colter_Nuanez on Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

brucat5
BobcatNation Team Captain

Re: Skyline Sports - Spring 2017 update

Post by brucat5 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:57 pm

Couple things:

1) The content and info is top notch and definitely worth the price tag. As a fan that is out of state, I really appreciate it and have enjoyed watching the evolution of the content.

2) The pay access website crashes every time I try to update my subscription and has been for the last 2+ mos. I have emailed but haven't received any response. Additionally, identifying the actual link that takes you to the subscription site is a challenge. Case in point: the link you provided takes me to a page that shows the subscription costs, yet the link that allows one to sign on (and pay) is buried at the top of the website and only accessible by clicking the "Premium Content" button. Seems to be an unnecessary challenge.

3) I'm a little hesitant to provide my CC information over an unsecured website. I'd rather go back to the "Bobcat Beat" days of Paypal or a different, secured link.

Colter_Nuanez
Golden Bobcat

Post by Colter_Nuanez » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:10 pm

brucat5 wrote:Couple things:

1) The content and info is top notch and definitely worth the price tag. As a fan that is out of state, I really appreciate it and have enjoyed watching the evolution of the content.

2) The pay access website crashes every time I try to update my subscription and has been for the last 2+ mos. I have emailed but haven't received any response. Additionally, identifying the actual link that takes you to the subscription site is a challenge. Case in point: the link you provided takes me to a page that shows the subscription costs, yet the link that allows one to sign on (and pay) is buried at the top of the website and only accessible by clicking the "Premium Content" button. Seems to be an unnecessary challenge.

3) I'm a little hesitant to provide my CC information over an unsecured website. I'd rather go back to the "Bobcat Beat" days of Paypal or a different, secured link.
Thank you for your feedback! We want all of the input we can get, especially if it is critical and things we need to do better. One of our top priorities is making it easier to subscribe or renew.

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:53 pm

Tried to create an account but it says unavailable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

mommacat
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by mommacat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:42 pm

I also have not had success renewing. I get an error message that the internet connection was lost when I click on the renew button, but I still have an active connection for everything else on my ipad.

Also, my subscription expired last fall, but I still have access to the premium content. I did not receive a renewal notification so I assumed you were making some changes to the subscription service.

Your content is well worth the subscription!
Last edited by mommacat on Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Common Cat
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by Common Cat » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:24 pm

mommacat wrote:I also have not had success renewing. I get an error message that the internet connection was lost when I click on the renew button, but I still have an active connection for everything else on my ipad.

Also, my subscription expired last fall, but I still have access to the premium content. I did not receive a renewal notification so I assumed you were making some changes to the subscription service.

Your content is well worth the subsciption!
I too receive premium content and have had my account expire. I emailed you to try to figure this out. I'll gladly pay the year fee- just make it so I can.

@rfoley77 @rrcatcast Golden Coolie

bpcats20

Post by bpcats20 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:17 pm

Ditto

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:21 am

Common Cat wrote:
mommacat wrote:I also have not had success renewing. I get an error message that the internet connection was lost when I click on the renew button, but I still have an active connection for everything else on my ipad.

I too receive premium content and have had my account expire. I emailed you to try to figure this out. I'll gladly pay the year fee- just make it so I can.
Same with me. I've been waiting well over a year for a renewal letter or email and haven't received one so I haven't paid and still received premium content.

I will gladly re-up as you guys do a fantastic job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

Bemiller49
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by Bemiller49 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:38 am

Same here

HelenaCat
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by HelenaCat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:00 am

Had the same problem a few months ago. I wrote Brooks and finally just arranged to send Skyline Sorts a check to renew my subscription.

themagnumx
New Recruit

Post by themagnumx » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:13 am

still have access as well but have not paid for the subscription in a bit

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:46 am

Sounds like we've found the revenue problem...

Cats15
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Cats15 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:55 am

luckyirishguy25 wrote:Sounds like we've found the revenue problem...

Ha, yeah that like a thousand bucks right there!

5yearfreshman
BobcatNation Redshirt

Post by 5yearfreshman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:18 am

I also have had problems. I was charged for one month and then nothing was billed again. I was able to log on and see content on some occasions thru out the year.

stevo

Post by stevo » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:20 am

BigBruceBaker wrote:
Common Cat wrote:

Same with me. I've been waiting well over a year for a renewal letter or email and haven't received one so I haven't paid and still received premium content.

I will gladly re-up as you guys do a fantastic job.

All of the above. I was a subscriber from day one. But have never renewed my subscription. I have never been asked to and I still get premium content by logging in. I have looked on the site to see what my subscription status is but can not find out. so I just roll along for free. I would happily renew and just need a better way to do so.

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:27 am

Same here, I believe I subscribed when you very first set up but haven't ever renewed or received any information saying I need to renew, but was still able to access premium content.

R&R Cat Cast - the only Bobcat fan podcast - https://www.rrcatcast.com
Twitter - https://twitter.com/rrcatcast

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:29 am

I also could never find any sort of account management area - I didn't realize I needed to click on the PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP tab itself.

Once in there, it says I still have an active monthly subscription but haven't been billed in a long time. My only option is to cancel it, and then I assume I can re-up it, but that isn't intuitive whatsoever.

BigBruceBaker

Post by BigBruceBaker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:32 am

CelticCat wrote:I also could never find any sort of account management area - I didn't realize I needed to click on the PREMIUM MEMBERSHIP tab itself.

Once in there, it says I still have an active monthly subscription but haven't been billed in a long time. My only option is to cancel it, and then I assume I can re-up it, but that isn't intuitive whatsoever.
Agree. I also am assuming it is not necessarily easy to track and suspend accounts. Or it is rather costly software.

I'm by no means a web designer so I could be way wrong.

Colter, fix the issue and I'd gladly pay.

I love the Bobcats and the Miami Hurricanes an unhealthy level

CelticCat
Golden Bobcat

Post by CelticCat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:41 am

My suggestions:

A MY ACCOUNT tab or something similar on the top.

Some sort of indicator on each post whether it is premium or not. That way when scrolling through the articles, you can get a good sense of what benefits you will receive as a premium subscriber just based on the number of premium articles available.

Lock down some more free content as premium, or add more content to the premium section. One thing that I really liked that Will Holden did years back was an "eye in the sky" type breakdown, where he analysed some film from the most recent game and gave good insight on what was happening. If you could add some sort of video content you'd likely see a bump in subscriptions. People are starved for video content at MSU, we severely lack behind most FCS schools, even most Big Sky schools. Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2Bu_E06Yo

But mostly, make sure people are being charged for the premium content, sounds like that is your single biggest problem right now. I'm not sure what platform you are using, but if you are using Wordpress there is bound to be some really good addon, possible for free, for automatically subscription services.

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:49 am

CelticCat wrote:My suggestions:

A MY ACCOUNT tab or something similar on the top.

Some sort of indicator on each post whether it is premium or not. That way when scrolling through the articles, you can get a good sense of what benefits you will receive as a premium subscriber just based on the number of premium articles available.

Lock down some more free content as premium, or add more content to the premium section. One thing that I really liked that Will Holden did years back was an "eye in the sky" type breakdown, where he analysed some film from the most recent game and gave good insight on what was happening. If you could add some sort of video content you'd likely see a bump in subscriptions. People are starved for video content at MSU, we severely lack behind most FCS schools, even most Big Sky schools. Example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne2Bu_E06Yo

But mostly, make sure people are being charged for the premium content, sounds like that is your single biggest problem right now. I'm not sure what platform you are using, but if you are using Wordpress there is bound to be some really good addon, possible for free, for automatically subscription services.
I'm with CelticCat on everything in regards to the video content. You and Brooks are very knowledgeable of the game and one of my favorite things to listen is your game previews that come out Friday or Thursday during the season. Again, I realize you guys are likely still in the "start-up" phase so you may not have the manpower but putting up video breakdowns as premium content is well worth the dollar spent per month, in my opinion.

I'm also on board with a My Account page that shows what your premium subscription entails.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."