MSU Pro Day

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: MSU Pro Day

Post by Hawks86 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:47 pm

https://twitter.com/Popes75/status/841810550527021058

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:22 pm

I wish the Cat's could have had Saraceni in the backfield with Newell. That guy put up some decent numbers as well. I know he has had knee issues though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 pm

lutecat wrote:I'm suprised Chad ran faster than Nguyen at um. He ran sslllllooooooowwwwwwwww. 4.9

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
According to official pro day results, Nyugen ran a 4.73. Not the fastest by any means. His 24 reps of 225 lbs is mind blowing.
Counts had a 44 inch vertical. Also mind blowing. Kidder had a very good day.

http://www.gogriz.com/news/2017/3/12/fo ... ntral.aspx

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:00 pm

Grizaddict wrote:
lutecat wrote:I'm suprised Chad ran faster than Nguyen at um. He ran sslllllooooooowwwwwwwww. 4.9

According to official pro day results, Nyugen ran a 4.73. Not the fastest by any means. His 24 reps of 225 lbs is mind blowing.

They were talking on egriz it was a 4.9. That's where I got my info.

kwcat
Member # Retired

Post by kwcat » Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:36 pm

lutecat wrote:
Grizaddict wrote:

They were talking on egriz it was a 4.9. That's where I got my info.

Do you really believe missoulaacademy.com! :wink:

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:54 pm

Newell's bench reps are pretty solid for a RB too. Overall I would say pretty dang good day for MSU in front of the scouts.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:42 am

I'm less curious about pro day results (I know some teams put stock in them, but I don't) than about which teams were at the pro day. Anybody have that information?
VimSince03 wrote:John Walker's workout in comparison to NFL Combine DB Performances:

Vertical: 34" (18 DB's with better jumps at Combine)
Broad Jump: 123" (11 DB's with better jumps at Combine)
Bench: 15 (10 DB's with more reps at Combine)
40-yard Dash: 4.51/4.58 (If taking unofficial 4.51, 16 DB's with better runs at Combine)
20-yard Short Shuttle: (no time)
60-yard Long Shuttle: 11.5 (3 DB's with better times at Combine though only 5 DB's participated in drill at Combine)
3-cone Drill: 7.01 (17 DB's with better times at Combine)

John will likely still get an Unrestricted Rookie Free Agent (URFA) deal but I thought his "short area quickness" numbers would be better. In comparison to other DB's at combine, his performance was mediocre which isn't doesn't mean bad but average.
Another thing working against Walker, besides all of those things you just listed, is the fact that he's only 5'9".

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:43 am

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD wrote:I'm less curious about pro day results (I know some teams put stock in them, but I don't) than about which teams were at the pro day. Anybody have that information?
VimSince03 wrote:John Walker's workout in comparison to NFL Combine DB Performances:

Vertical: 34" (18 DB's with better jumps at Combine)
Broad Jump: 123" (11 DB's with better jumps at Combine)
Bench: 15 (10 DB's with more reps at Combine)
40-yard Dash: 4.51/4.58 (If taking unofficial 4.51, 16 DB's with better runs at Combine)
20-yard Short Shuttle: (no time)
60-yard Long Shuttle: 11.5 (3 DB's with better times at Combine though only 5 DB's participated in drill at Combine)
3-cone Drill: 7.01 (17 DB's with better times at Combine)

John will likely still get an Unrestricted Rookie Free Agent (URFA) deal but I thought his "short area quickness" numbers would be better. In comparison to other DB's at combine, his performance was mediocre which isn't doesn't mean bad but average.
Another thing working against Walker, besides all of those things you just listed, is the fact that he's only 5'9".
https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/841687321099476992

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:50 am

5 FCS Prospects With Great Pro Days
CHAD NEWELL, RB -- MONTANA STATE montana-state-logo
MontanaState-ChadNewell-nfl-draft-20172016 STATS: 657 yards rushing, 8 TDs
CAREER STATS: More than 2,000 yards rushing in career

THE SKINNY: Newell punches holes as well as anybody, and he looks like the perfect fullback at the NFL level. He's 6-foot-2, 215 pounds and has mid 4.7 speed. He has very good quickness, as evidenced by his top-flight time in the short shuttle and three-cone drills. This is a guy who could come in and contribute on special teams at first and carve out a roster niche for himself. He's a gritty former walk-on -- a true signature player for the FCS level.
http://herosports.com/news/nfl-draft-fi ... -days-ajaj

luckyirishguy25
Golden Bobcat

Post by luckyirishguy25 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:49 am

Hawks86 wrote:5 FCS Prospects With Great Pro Days
CHAD NEWELL, RB -- MONTANA STATE montana-state-logo
MontanaState-ChadNewell-nfl-draft-20172016 STATS: 657 yards rushing, 8 TDs
CAREER STATS: More than 2,000 yards rushing in career

THE SKINNY: Newell punches holes as well as anybody, and he looks like the perfect fullback at the NFL level. He's 6-foot-2, 215 pounds and has mid 4.7 speed. He has very good quickness, as evidenced by his top-flight time in the short shuttle and three-cone drills. This is a guy who could come in and contribute on special teams at first and carve out a roster niche for himself. He's a gritty former walk-on -- a true signature player for the FCS level.
http://herosports.com/news/nfl-draft-fi ... -days-ajaj
If Heart was a measurable, Chad would be #1 on the list. He may be the most passionate player I've seen first hand on our football roster.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:39 am

According to some posters on this boar Mr Newell is "not NFL caliber", so you can just write that off as a pipe dream. For some reason though Mr Newell refuses to acknowledge these notions, and is wholly committed to making an NFL roster. The odds are clearly not in his favor, but I am 100% behind him and hope to someday tell him that in person.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:54 am

Is it more important that Chad make the NFL or more important to tell people that they are wrong?

I think everyone wants Chad to play on Sundays but if they don't know if he'll get there oh well. He's going to work really hard and give it his best and if he does he does and if he doesn't he doesn't. We ALL are rooting for him. To suggest otherwise is just plain silly.

Bobcatsinmso
Honorable Mention All-BobcatNation

Post by Bobcatsinmso » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:42 am

I suppose my opinions on the matter just are not as important as other opinions previously posted. Silly me. I would like to believe we are ALL rooting for Mr Newell as well.

The State of Montana is Bobcat country.
missoula....still just 20 miles from Montana.
FTG

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:49 am

Bobcatsinmso wrote:I suppose my opinions on the matter just are not as important as other opinions previously posted. Silly me. I would like to believe we are ALL rooting for Mr Newell as well.
Well I've been on record saying that Chad might not be a fit on a NFL roster as a true running back and his only shot is as a FB/special team player. When you are an unrestricted rookie free agent (because Chad will likely not get drafted), you have to be versatile to make a NFL roster. If Chad gets a shot in a system that utilizes a fullback, he should shine on special teams.

Now saying I'm not rooting for Chad to make a roster is completely wrong because I definitely am. I'm just being realistic on where he fits. Its all about which team he gets a shot on because I do believe he will get a chance at either a rookie mini-camp tryout which happens after the draft or gets signed as an unrestricted rookie free agent post-draft which basically gives him an invite to a training camp.

"There's two times of year for me: Football season, and waiting for football season."

lutecat
Member # Retired

Post by lutecat » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:10 pm

I just hate it when people say "well x player refuses to listen to the sceptics". No kidding. They wouldnt be trying if they were. Pet peeve of mine. We all shouldn't listen to our sceptics.

BLACKnBLUEnGOLD
Member # Retired

Post by BLACKnBLUEnGOLD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 pm

Most teams these days either have an undrafted player at fullback or they run so few formations with a FB spot in them that they just put a TE or big backup RB there. Typically, the teams that do have a player listed at FB have an undrafted player who converted from another position. So the fact that players with Newell's measurables usually don't get drafted isn't actually a disadvantage to him. Going undrafted seems like the path that gives him the best shot to make an NFL team anyway. His real disadvantage is that he has to gain 15 pounds minimum, and more likely 25, to have the size of an NFL fullback. He does have the advantage of already knowing how to play the position, though.

"What's our job? Gettin the offense the ball! How we gonna do it? By any means necessary!"

-Trent King, Playmakers

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Post by Hawks86 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:38 am

https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/855454311689728000

VimSince03
Golden Bobcat

Post by VimSince03 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:42 am

Hawks86 wrote:https://twitter.com/BrianMacWriter/status/855454311689728000
Not sure but it looks like Brian thinks former Griz DB J.R. Nelson is a Montana native (like meaning from Montana). And I think Caleb meant he never lost to Chad in high school...because there was a game played last November and I'm pretty sure the Cats came out on top. But with all the fake news going around...who knows anymore. :-k

iaafan
Golden Bobcat

Post by iaafan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:05 am

Funny stuff. Kidder's a great player, but that UM education didn't do him any favors.

Looks like he got out at a good time, they're trying to buy out 100 faculty now to match up with the declining enrollment.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Looks like the false quote was removed from the story.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter