New turf

Discuss anything and everything relating to Bobcat Football here.

Moderators: rtb, kmax, SonomaCat

Hawks86
Golden Bobcat

Re: New turf

Post by Hawks86 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:09 pm

catsrback76 wrote:
91catAlum wrote:
catsrback76 wrote:Curious if we are also getting the "cooling system" for the turf put in like uM is??? Just wondering.
Not sure... But that sure doesn't seem like something you need in the Fall in Montana. Depending on the cost, I guess.
I agree, though it is a cork material rather than rubber and apparently does not retain heat as much. Just wondering more if this is the standard installation or an "add-on" accessory that uM is using to try and sell their stadium as avant guard.
I'm pretty sure they are the first ones ever to use this system and we would just be copying them if we used it also.

"I'm a Bobcat forever its in my soul..."

Grizaddict
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by Grizaddict » Tue May 23, 2017 3:03 pm

On a hot day, which we have plenty of early in the season, the temp taken on the field turf level could be 150° The cork utilized cooling system knock that down at least 30° I think it's a wise investment and I'm sure the players will appreciate it greatly on a hot day

norcal cat
BobcatNation Letterman

Post by norcal cat » Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 pm

Having work on several turf fields I can say there are pros and cons for each system. The chrome rubber is still the cheapest but it goes everywhere and gets into everything. However it can be re-used when the field is replaced. There are nu-proven concerns that the chrome rubber can lead to cancer. Cork has a cooler surface than the rubber but costs a little more. There is some annual replacement needed and it can not be re-used when the field is replaced. The cork has a tendency to high high static cling the first 6 months or so. Right after it's installed it will stick to everything. Overall it's a better system then the rubber. The coolmax is coated rubber product. The product data show it to be much cooler playing surface than then the chrome rubber. Not many field have installed it yet as it's fairly new and has a significantly higher cost per square foot cost. All three have good play-ability.

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed May 24, 2017 9:40 am

Read an interesting fact today about colored turf. When Boise installed their blue turf they got a trademark that says all schools wanting to install colored turf has to get the go ahead from Boise 1st. Now that's power.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Wed May 24, 2017 10:37 am

BleedingBLue wrote:Read an interesting fact today about colored turf. When Boise installed their blue turf they got a trademark that says all schools wanting to install colored turf has to get the go ahead from Boise 1st. Now that's power.
Yeah, I'd like to see that trademark challenged. I'd like to see them in court trying to justify owning every shade of every color in the spectrum. Good luck with that. Nice way to get publicity though.

QB Club https://www.msubqc.org
Bobcat Collective https://linktr.ee/thebobcatcollective
“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Wed May 24, 2017 11:01 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/11/spor ... .html?_r=0
To do that, Bickerton’s biggest weapon is a trademark — one that some experts deem overly broad and open to challenges — that effectively gives Boise State veto power over anyone looking to add a splash of color to anything but its end zones.
Trademark law is pretty interesting. Some years ago GM went after a bar in eastern Wyoming called "Jeep's." In order to keep your trademark you must defend it and apparently if GM had not gone after Jeep's bar it might have failed that requirement. I think they ended up settling out of court.

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act

catatac
Golden Bobcat

Post by catatac » Wed May 24, 2017 11:18 am

AFCAT wrote:
BleedingBLue wrote:Read an interesting fact today about colored turf. When Boise installed their blue turf they got a trademark that says all schools wanting to install colored turf has to get the go ahead from Boise 1st. Now that's power.
Yeah, I'd like to see that trademark challenged. I'd like to see them in court trying to justify owning every shade of every color in the spectrum. Good luck with that. Nice way to get publicity though.
Yup.... and green would be a pretty tough one to enforce. :lol:

Great time to be a BOBCAT!

KittieKop
BobcatNation Hall of Famer

Post by KittieKop » Wed May 24, 2017 5:01 pm

FieldTurf has the project up on their website:

http://www.fieldturf.com/en/artificial- ... at-stadium

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

KittieKop

Post by KittieKop » Wed May 24, 2017 5:09 pm

norcal cat wrote:Having work on several turf fields I can say there are pros and cons for each system. The chrome rubber is still the cheapest but it goes everywhere and gets into everything. However it can be re-used when the field is replaced. There are nu-proven concerns that the chrome rubber can lead to cancer. Cork has a cooler surface than the rubber but costs a little more. There is some annual replacement needed and it can not be re-used when the field is replaced. The cork has a tendency to high high static cling the first 6 months or so. Right after it's installed it will stick to everything. Overall it's a better system then the rubber. The coolmax is coated rubber product. The product data show it to be much cooler playing surface than then the chrome rubber. Not many field have installed it yet as it's fairly new and has a significantly higher cost per square foot cost. All three have good play-ability.
Checking out the Field Turf site, it looks to be about a $35,000 upgrade.

"It was like a coordinated effort by the Missoulian and the police to bring UM Football program down..." eGriz 11/30/12

Now where did I leave my tinfoil hat?

BleedingBLue
Golden Bobcat

Post by BleedingBLue » Wed May 24, 2017 6:20 pm

catatac wrote:
AFCAT wrote:
Yup.... and green would be a pretty tough one to enforce. :lol:
I should have clarified by saying all non green colors.

mslacatfan
Golden Bobcat

Post by mslacatfan » Thu May 25, 2017 3:18 pm

I hate being negative, but...

looking at that live feed, all I can think about is how hideous those stands look... are those rusted pieces of crap even safe to stand on at this point?

I'm excited to see the new turf though!

FTG- GO CATS GO!

St George
2nd Team All-BobcatNation

Post by St George » Thu May 25, 2017 3:35 pm

mslacatfan wrote:I hate being negative, but...

looking at that live feed, all I can think about is how hideous those stands look... are those rusted pieces of crap even safe to stand on at this point?

You never see how bad the east seats are when they are full of fans. But when I win the lottery, I am donating big time. My sky box will probably have a hot tub.

lutecat

Post by lutecat » Thu May 25, 2017 3:57 pm

St George wrote:

You never see how bad the east seats are when they are full of fans. But when I win the lottery, I am donating big time. My sky box will probably have a hot tub.
That's what I would do too. And I would provide scholarships to the cheerleading squad since there really aren't any. I feel like they are the forgotten sport. And I would also provide said hot tub for them after the game to soak their tired muscles in. We would still be around drinking some beers and stuff but it wouldn't be an inconvenience to us. I'd be really generous like that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 25, 2017 4:10 pm

They are ugly, but the surface rust on the bleachers themselves doesn't necessarily mean the stands are structurally deficient or at risk of collapse.

“In the military, they teach you the best time to attack your enemy is nighttime and bad weather. We’ve got f—ing both!” — Devin Slaughter

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Thu May 25, 2017 5:33 pm

AFCAT wrote:

They are ugly, but the surface rust on the bleachers themselves doesn't necessarily mean the stands are structurally deficient or at risk of collapse.
They aren't at risk of collapse, but my foot busted all the way through when I was running stairs the other day in my gray sweats and black Chucks. Caused my Walkman to fall out of my pocket and ejected the Survivor tape init into a pool of water. I was yelling, "Adrian, Adrian!!!" No one came to help.

So they need to be replaced.

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Thu May 25, 2017 10:52 pm

TomCat88 wrote:
AFCAT wrote:

They aren't at risk of collapse, but my foot busted all the way through when I was running stairs the other day in my gray sweats and black Chucks. Caused my Walkman to fall out of my pocket and ejected the Survivor tape init into a pool of water. I was yelling, "Adrian, Adrian!!!" No one came to help.

So they need to be replaced.

Well, "there is no easy way out" of this. Next time, "If your hearts on fire" and you want to be athletic, you need to head over to Wyoming (just pretend it's Russia) and run up a snowy mountain in the middle of the winter. Wear a bomber jacket and boots. I can guarantee that you won't fall through the mountain and it will be much harder than running up those dilapidated stands. Just watch out for the pesky fake Russians.

Imageupload image online free
Last edited by AFCAT on Fri May 26, 2017 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 26, 2017 3:33 pm

Looks like the new turf is going in! Yes, I watch the feed. I have no life. :D

TomCat88
Golden Bobcat

Post by TomCat88 » Fri May 26, 2017 3:58 pm

Looks like the end zones will be blue. Or is that some kind of lining?

MSU - 15 team National Champions (most recent 2021); 57 individual National Champions (most recent 2023).
toM StUber

AFCAT
Golden Bobcat

Post by AFCAT » Fri May 26, 2017 4:21 pm

TomCat88 wrote:Looks like the end zones will be blue. Or is that some kind of lining?

I was wondering the same thing. Do they sew in the letters separately?

Rich K
Golden Bobcat

Post by Rich K » Fri May 26, 2017 4:25 pm

AFCAT wrote:
TomCat88 wrote:Looks like the end zones will be blue. Or is that some kind of lining?

I was wondering the same thing. Do they sew in the letters separately?
Or are the letters painted?

Favorite name of a law: Millstone Act